The Duke and Duchess of Sussex with Oprah I - Pre-interview, Feb-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry won't speak badly about his father in the interview, (nor any other member of his family) but that is not because he controls the Sussexes purse strings. He doesn't. The Sussexes don't receive any money from him.

And as for everybody knowing that the couple would one day speak to Oprah well it's been a long long while. Harry and Meghan became engaged in November 2017, no Oprah interview (nor one with Doria either) they married in May 2018, no interview after that either.

They've been in the US since June last year, no interview. In fact they will have been married three years in May 2021, and this interview, that has been so on the cards according to some, will be recorded only a couple of months before.

That is, if you believe that being interviewed by Oprah is somehow sinister or underhanded or disgraceful. She's interviewed many many famous people including Presidents and has been a good friend and ally to Meghan and Harry.

Royals also often choose people they feel comfortable with to interview them , like for instance Charles with Jonathon Dimbleby. Not that the interview with Oprah is going to be so revelatory as that. It will be vetted questions amid a pleasant atmosphere.

Last edited:
Of course Gayle is going to say something of the kind. She and Oprah want the largest audience possible, chafing at the bit for revelations. That doesn't mean that the sort of questions such an audience wants are going to be answered or even asked, when it comes down to it.

I think that anyone who’s hoping that there will be lots of “spilling tea” on the Royal Family will be sorely disappointed. I have a feeling that this interview will be mostly focused on their new endeavors with the Archewell Foundation and projects with Netflix and Spotify, probably lots of happy talk about the new baby and Archie, and gushing about how much they’re loving living in California (although I wouldn’t be surprised if Harry adds that they can’t wait to visit the UK again). There will probably also be more about the things that they’ve been focusing on the past year- the importance of being kind, how harmful social media can be and how we need to form connections in other ways, maybe also how harmful media and tabloids can be. I think it’ll mostly be positive, and I don’t expect any major bombshells against the royal family.

As others have said the duke & duchess appear to be morphing into celebrities. This is presumably what they meant when they wrote about “carving out a new progressive role” in the monarchy.

This interview seems part & parcel of that celebrity approach. It’s an opportunity to explain to the American public their point of view & to publicise their ventures as well as validating their status in the United States.

A primetime interview on a major network wouldn’t be happening of course if it wasn’t for the fame they have as members of the royal family. Oh the irony of that!

This isn’t Dimbleby (or Bashir, Wogan or Selina Scott). There are real commercial advantages to be gained here for the Sussexes. It’s a springboard for future ambition.

That they continue to do this sort of thing, taking advantage of & monetising their status in the American market, will continue to divide opinion of course. Here in Britain it will also probably further erode goodwill towards the idea of having a royal family.

Thank you for sharing the information about the church connection between Oprah and Doria.

I am listening to the audio version of THE book, just now and have just listened to that part yesterday, That is how it is described in the book, when Meghan became linked to Harry , Oprah reached out to Doria , it then transpired they had at times attended the same church. Oprah had met Meghan once before hand at an event. Just wanted to back up the posters information, do not intend discussing the book.

As others have said the duke & duchess appear to be morphing into celebrities. This is presumably what they meant when they wrote about “carving out a new progressive role” in the monarchy.

This interview seems part & parcel of that celebrity approach. It’s an opportunity to explain to the American public their point of view & to publicise their ventures as well as validating their status in the United States.

A primetime interview on a major network wouldn’t be happening of course if it wasn’t for the fame they have as members of the royal family. Oh the irony of that!

This isn’t Dimbleby (or Bashir, Wogan or Selina Scott). There are real commercial advantages to be gained here for the Sussexes. It’s a springboard for future ambition.

That they continue to do this sort of thing, taking advantage of & monetising their status in the American market, will continue to divide opinion of course. Here in Britain it will also probably further erode goodwill towards the idea of having a royal family.

You are totally correct, they are only interesting because of the names and the link to the royal family.
The family that they do not wish to work with. That is why IMO you will never see them on the balcony at any royal events. As they will use that connection to obtain more air time to sell their products.

I am listening to the audio version of THE book, just now and have just listened to that part yesterday, That is how it is described in the book, when Meghan became linked to Harry , Oprah reached out to Doria , it then transpired they had at times attended the same church. Oprah had met Meghan once before hand at an event. Just wanted to back up the posters information, do not intend discussing the book.

No doubt Oprah did. She got a wedding invitation out of it didn't she. You scratch my back & all that.

You don't get to the top of your profession without taking advantage of all life's opportunities. That's not a criticism just an observation of reality.

Harry won't speak badly about his father in the interview, (nor any other member of his family) but that is not because he controls the Sussexes purse strings. He doesn't. The Sussexes don't receive any money from him.

And as for everybody knowing that the couple would one day speak to Oprah well it's been a long long while. Harry and Meghan became engaged in November 2017, no Oprah interview (nor one with Doria either) they married in May 2018, no interview after that either.

They've been in the US since June last year, no interview. In fact they will have been married three years in May 2021, and this interview, that has been so on the cards according to some, will be recorded only a couple of months before.

That is, if you believe that being interviewed by Oprah is somehow sinister or underhanded or disgraceful. She's interviewed many many famous people including Presidents and has been a good friend and ally to Meghan and Harry.

Royals also often choose people they feel comfortable with to interview them , like for instance Charles with Jonathon Dimbleby. Not that the interview with Oprah is going to be so revelatory as that. It will be vetted questions amid a pleasant atmosphere.

I don’t believe an Oprah interview is sinister at all, all celebrities would do it, indeed would give their right arm to do it- that is the point- its celebrity heaven. There is nothing wrong with it, personally I think it will make boring tv and I think Oprah will use her many years of gently nudging here and there to get something personal out of them, its her job and the bigger the splash the better the ratings the better she looks- Oprah will put her “brand” before H&Ms. Again, no issue with that, but they can’t then go on about privacy, the media and wanting to carry on with royal patronages when so clearly pitting themselves out there as celebrities.

I’m also pretty sure Charles is still giving them some personal financing- no biggie with that but saying as a matter of fact he doesn’t is something none of us know. He is their ultimate back up if it all goes wrong. Either way, we agree they won’t dish on him so all good.

Again - this isn’t a big deal if you accept it merly reflects the fact they are now two b list celebrities trying to make it in LA.

You are totally correct, they are only interesting because of the names and the link to the royal family.
The family that they do not wish to work with. That is why IMO you will never see them on the balcony at any royal events. As they will use that connection to obtain more air time to sell their products.

The monarchy would be best advised going forward to ensure that the Sussexes (& some others!) have no entre to any public royal occasions in this country. That means events like Trooping the Colour or Ascot or whatever else might happen in the future. Their private family contacts should remain just that, private. Hopefully on a personal level there can be some bridge building.

Last edited:
Is Commonwealth Day Service still on? The second monday will be 8 March, right?
Maybe they'll talk about it too, they're still the President and VP of QCT after all.

I do not know is the honest answer, but I cannot see how it could go ahead, as we are still in lockdown. You cannot go to church on a Sunday the queen has never left Windsor. I would imagine there might be some form of recognition on the day, but cannot visualise there being the full church service. I have been wrong before so perhaps somebody on here knows more.

Yes they are at the moment, but that might be up for discussion as well.

I'm sure all celebs, and indeed all Royals, politicians, etc, would love it if they could be front page news with stories and photos of their own choice as and when they want, and never be mentioned in the media otherwise. But it doesn't work like that.

It would be nice if they talked about actual projects. I'm not sure what Archewell's actually involved in. But people will be tuning in to hear them dish the dirt.

I think there will be a ' thanking you for asking moment' where something will be implied but nobody will actually be able to accuse them of saying something specific.
If they do make adverse comments with regards the household or the family, there will be no going back. But as we already know Meghan drops people that she has an issue with. According to Omid Scobie she is a very nice person who does not like conflict so rather than disagree with someone she just moves on from them.

I wish all the UK papers took that approach:p:lol:

This is one interview too far. I think we can safely say that at the next Coronation Harry and Meghan will be guest presenters on US prime time taking us through the ceremony based on Harry's previous experience of state ceremonies. Sad and tawdry affair. Their titles need to go at some time before they cash in on them completely. The question is timing. The Monarchy won't want to look petty or vindictive, and I guess they hope that the titles have some kind of a restraining influence on them. I dread to think what these loose cannons will say and do once they are completely cast adrift.

This is one interview too far. I think we can safely say that at the next Coronation Harry and Meghan will be guest presenters on US prime time taking us through the ceremony based on Harry's previous experience of state ceremonies. Sad and tawdry affair. Their titles need to go at some time before they cash in on them completely. The question is timing. The Monarchy won't want to look petty or vindictive, and I guess they hope that the titles have some kind of a restraining influence on them. I dread to think what these loose cannons will say and do once they are completely cast adrift.

The whole thing is that they do not want cast adrift, from the first statement that they were forming a new royal way of doing things, it was all about still doing selected royal duties. and respecting the Queen. They wanted a foot in the door and the Queen said NO. So they went off in a huff. They might find that the queen might change her mind about don't complain or explain and might give a few home truths herself.
A previous poster had said that Oprah was a friend of Dianas, I would say she reached out as they say to try and get an interview but she never got one,

They will always be part of the family. I do think they will talk about charities and causes and perhaps plans for documentary films. I am still very interested in them, they are very intriguing IMO.

I really do not think it will go this far - I think the Windsor's learned from the Duke of Windsor that completely cutting the family off from each other was not the way to go. So yes they will be at the next coronation.

It is just - how many times do you need to set the story straight or to put forward your version of the story? Yes - I know that we have to believe that they they had nothing to do with Omid Scoobie's book. But there comes a time when even Meghan and Harry have to realize that they cannot expect the world to love them. Lets hope they draw a line in the sand and move on now.

Last edited:
I hope so. Everyone's got grievances against someone ... OK, not usually the media, but maybe an ex-partner, an ex-boss, or an ex-friend who treated you badly. There comes a point where you have to let it go and move on.

We don't actually know what they're going to say. They may surprise us and say that they want to talk about the Invictus Games!

I think people expecting this to be some huge attack on the royal family will be very disappointed. Equally I think those who think the Sussexes will be banned from the family, public events, and all of the UK, will also be disappointed.

I doubt this will be anything scandalous. We all know they will have as much control as they can. They would not have agreed to it if not so. It will be their opportunity to answer some softball questions but mostly promote their projects -- some of which are in partnership with Oprah herself.

I sat here for a while debating with myself if I should post this here or not. In 1997 when Pss Diana had the tragic Accident in Paris in the Alma Tunnel and so sadly paid with her life and left two young children behind. The day of the funeral and Harry, William walked behind their beloved Mothers coffin, with Father Charles, Grandfather Phillip and Uncle Charles Spencer. The sadness on his little face was heartbreaking. It caused a lot of pain and emptiness in him, which is understandable. Maybe this will explain a lot about his actions in later years. When his Father married Camilla in 2005 and a year later they came to New York, to lay flowers at the 9/11 Memorial, there was a small segment on the Oprah show, she said at the time, that she wants Camilla on her show and put her in the HOT seat about Diana. Oprah needed to be silent. If she ask Camilla to be a guest on her show I don't know, but I read Camilla's Office declined the invitation. Good for them. Harry was special to the people he met and especially to the children around the world, when he made visits, he was like a big brother returning from a trip and was happy to be with them again. He was happy as a Soldier, he was one of them, when he exited the Military he changed MO, he was lost. Sadly to say after he married, he lost some of himself, he was made to change, sorry to say this, but not for the better. Turning his Back on the Family he knew, was born into it, he grew up with and his friends made him bitter IMO. A few years later Oprah went to Denmark with the Obamas to talk about the Olympic Games being held in Chicago, the Games where held in a nother City, I don't remember where, not important anyway. But Oprah tried to get CPss Mary on her show, but she also declined. The only one who went on her show was Queen Rania of Jordan, because she wanted to get the word out about the charities she started or wanted donations for existing ones. Lots of people watched her. It seems to me Oprah has the need to surround herself with Royals, maybe I am wrong, but it is a money maker for her. Harry and Meghan being interviewed will put a feather in her cap.?

I don’t think the RF expects anyone to be cut off, never to attend family events again or whatever else. The RF works in two ways- official working royals who represent the Queen, carry out official duties, have patronages and make visits recorded in the CC OR members of the Queen's family who have their own lives doing day jobs or managing their own finances and who don’t formally represent the Queen. Its clear BP doesn’t want a middle ground half one or other and that is only fair.
If H&M aren’t working royals then they don’t have to run things like this through BP or follow the rules other royals do, but they also can’t do the official stuff working royals do. It really is quite simple. With this interview they are saying they are moving into celeb line of work- absolutely fine. Then just like Zara and Mike or Peter and Autumn they can do as they please business wise but can’t also be HM’s official representatives. They can have personal charities to support but those which are “official” expect working royals who represent the Queen and country not some LA based celebs who appear from time to time. I’m also sure when HM gave her own patronage of the National Theatre to Meghan it was on the hope Meghan would have more personal interest and role in it than HM was- evidently that is not now the case.
Of course H&M will remain part of the Queen's family and attend personal family events just as the Queen’s family all do.

Last edited:
Any formal public appearances with the Sussexes & the monarch will be seen as acceptance or tacit encouragement of their behaviour. It's certainly not in the interests of the monarchy to give the British public that impression. Best leave all contact private.

Otherwise cynicism will snowball into hostility or contempt, especially in the next reign.

Leave the Sussexes in America to sell themselves for a mess of pottage.

Last edited:
I agree with posts above about Harry and Meghan becoming American celebrities. It's the template they've been using from the beginning. Now that their official ties with the BRF have been cut they're free to decide what kind of public people they want to try to be. The tension comes from the fact that their celebrity is based on Harry's royal status; that's the only thing they have to barter to get this level of exposure. So, while Oprah's not going to throw any hardball questions at them, she's not going to be interested in spending 90 minutes talking about Archewell. Which is good, because I don't think Harry and Meghan are interested in spending 90 minutes talking about Archewell, either. There will be lots of talk about Archie and the new baby, probably the miscarriage, the lawsuit, the evil British press, Diana, the trauma, the pressure. Maybe some backhanded comments re: the BRF, along the lines of Harry's prior statement about his relationship with William, but nothing that goes too far. But nothing hugely surprising, and certainly no acknowledgement that they're anything other than the victims in whatever story they decide to tell.

I don’t think the RF expects anyone to be cut off, never to attend family events again or whatever else. The RF works in two ways- official working royals who represent the Queen, carry out official duties, have patronages and make visits recorded in the CC OR members of the Queen's family who have their own lives doing day jobs or managing their own finances and who don’t formally represent the Queen. Its clear BP doesn’t want a middle ground half one or other and that is only fair.
If H&M aren’t working royals then they don’t have to run things like this through BP or follow the rules other royals do, but they also can’t do the official stuff working royals do. It really is quite simple. With this interview they are saying they are moving into celeb line of work- absolutely fine. Then just like Zara and Mike or Peter and Autumn they can do as they please business wise but can’t also be HM’s official representatives. They can have personal charities to support but those which are “official” expect working royals who represent the Queen and country not some LA based celebs who appear from time to time. I’m also sure when HM gave her own patronage of the National Theatre to Meghan it was on the hope Meghan would have more personal interest and role in it than HM was- evidently that is not now the case.
Of course H&M will remain part of the Queen's family and attend personal family events just as the Queen’s family all do.

I agree. IMHO the Sussexes will be part of the extended family who happen to have titles like Prince/Princess Michael of Kent, the York Princesses and some of the children of the Gloucesters/Kents. I believe in the coming years that they'll occasionally be in attendance at large family events ie: Balcony appearance for Trooping the Color, the annual Christmas luncheon or family weddings.

Likewise I agree that those royal patronages that were passed down from QEII and the DoE will likely be given over to other members of the family as well as Prince Harry's honorary military appointments. As for their other patronages ie Well Child, then IMHO it's up to the organization to determine if they want to retain them as patrons and for the Sussexes to decide if they wish to continue in that role.

Last edited:
There's plenty of evidence that the Sussexes are unpopular & divisive in a way that (with one exception) other members of the family are just not. Most of them barely register at all. Most of them wouldn't be recognised on the street.

The very fact that they're being interviewed only as a direct consequence of who they are will do them no favours in Britain.

I think there's a danger of underestimating the strength of dislike for many of their actions. I think there's also a danger of overestimating public support for the idea of a royal family. Not the monarchy, that's a different if related issue.

Last edited:
It is just - how many times do you need to set the story straight or to put forward your version of the story? Yes - I know that we have to believe that they they had nothing to do with Omid Scoobie's book. But there comes a time when even Meghan and Harry have to realize that they cannot expect the world to love them. Lets hope they draw a line in the sand and move on now.

This. Even if we think that the interview is a way of publicizing Archewell, they should think twice about the wisdom of this approach. It should be a one-off occurrence. Oprah will throw a few softball questions about royal life and Meghan will say how hard it was. I have never believed that Oprah is a very good interviewer--she likes to play to the audience--but H and M clearly feel safe with her. They are in the position of needing the exposure to further their work, but they might find out that they cannot control all aspects of that exposure. In my view, it would be best to work their connections more privately and grow their philanthropic efforts slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom