The Duke and Duchess of Sussex with Oprah I - Pre-interview, Feb-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to love them. I still want to love Harry, but...sometimes it’s hard. If they want to do this, ok - I’m not upset (I’m too busy being engaged with what’s going on in my own country)....YET. Hopefully they just leave the BRF out of it.
Same with me, I used to love them and of course I am happy that after a miscarriage they are having another child.
I respected them when they said they wanted privacy, but I suppose I have another notion of what "privacy" means.

When will this couple understand that the only thing that truly makes them interesting, the only things that people would want to hear from them are the things that they could never not talk about (i.e. their life as royals, their royal relatives) without sounding and appearing so..un-classy.

Expected - completely. It is a PR move. Meghan and Harry's image and reputation has taken a major hit and she needs to make amends and fast if Archewell is too work. Answer Oprah and James Corden - they appeal to a large market and might allow them to win back some favor.
It is basically going to be more of the South African interview - just less whinny. Lots of attacks on the media especially social media, probably black life matter and Meghan's will have a cry on the couch. I mean they have had a lot of time to perfect the script and practice. They also appear to have hired every sort of professional under the sun to assist them.
Will it work - Personally I think that the PR needed by M& H is quiet commitment to anything. Overexposured and too in people noses is what is happening here. They should lay low. But I don't think their business ambitions would allow for that.

Well this is one way to keep ones face in front of the camera. I think Oprah has lost her shine if one wants to call it that, long time ago. Each of them have the great need to be seen. Maybe both believe this is the golden ticket.

Expected - completely. It is a PR move. Meghan and Harry's image and reputation has taken a major hit and she needs to make amends and fast if Archewell is too work. Answer Oprah and James Corden - they appeal to a large market and might allow them to win back some favor.
It is basically going to be more of the South African interview - just less whinny. Lots of attacks on the media especially social media, probably black life matter and Meghan's will have a cry on the couch. I mean they have had a lot of time to perfect the script and practice. They also appear to have hired every sort of professional under the sun to assist them.
Will it work - Personally I think that the PR needed by M& H is quiet commitment to anything. Overexposured and too in people noses is what is happening here. They should lay low. But I don't think their business ambitions would allow for that.

Or could it be they plan to you know talk about their work :whistling:

I know I mean Meghan is a joke. I mean who had ever heard of Meghan before Harry. She was camera why as she had never given a speech, or been infront of a camera,or done any charity work. Now all she can do is sob on camera after months of practice.

Oh wait we are talking the Meghan who had a decade long acting career. Been giving speeches for major international charities. And doing press talks for years before she met Harry. That Meghan right??

Meghan and Harry never claimed they wanted to disappear into a cave. They said they wanted to be Private citizens.

They wanted to be free of royal duty to pursue Private business. This doesn't mean hiding in a dark cave and not appearing. It means pursuing business and financial gain that is not related to their royal titles.

They also made it evidently clear from day one they planned to continue with their charity work. How does one think they plan to help charities, without being public????

They are doing what anyone with a lick of common sense does when they are launching a new business or charity. They are Promoting it. They are going to go on television and:

-tell people about their new charity
-how their former roles as royals have influenced the choices they have made
-the direction

Choosing Oprah is Common sense. Anyone with two pennies to rub together in the media world knows you choose a reporter you TRUST. Unfortunately they have found there are very few out there. So they go with Oprah, who they know will not try and make it about 'lets dish the dirt on royals' or try to sling mud at the couple, but actually focus on what they came there to talk about.

Maybe we should get over seeing them as 'royals' with what we expect royals to do, but instead see them as celebrities who want to use their influence and name to make a difference in the world.

My feeling is we more and more will see their endeavours in that direction and that be their "selling point" and not just as being "royals".

Imo the Oprah interview will be much more about what the future holds for them, and not just keep looking back at what has been, but what they have decided to leave behind

just my 2 cts

Maybe we should get over seeing them as 'royals' with what we expect royals to do, but instead see them as celebrities who want to use their influence and name to make a difference in the world.

My feeling is we more and more will see their endeavours in that direction and that be their "selling point" and not just as being "royals".

Imo the Oprah interview will be much more about what the future holds for them, and not just keep looking back at what has been, but what they have decided to leave behind

just my 2 cts

That is a very fair point, they are going down the celebrity route, it is easy to forget as Harry is and always will be royal, especially in the UK. I just wish as a British tax payer they had made these decisions before the wedding that costs millions in security costs. Actually I loved every minute of that day.

This whole thing could be a damp squib. The talk of it is generating headlines and social media chatter so they do not actually have to say anything else.

I find the timing of it all very interesting.

I personally do not think Harry will hurt is family in public, but what could be interesting is that decisions are due to be announced with regards the various roles that they both still hold through the royal family. These decisions are not made on a whim they are probably already in place, but depending on what they do say it could look like they are being punished if or when they are removed.

Having said that if they had done the interview after the decisions were announced it could like they were being bitter.
The bottom line is we will know when we know.

They claim that they want their privacy, and then they do an interview with one of the most high profile talk show hosts in the world.

It would be nice to think that they were just going to talk about charity work, and maybe a few sweet little family snippets like what sort of toys Archie likes playing with and what TV programmes he likes watching, but we'll see.

They claim that they want their privacy, and then they do an interview with one of the most high profile talk show hosts in the world.

It would be nice to think that they were just going to talk about charity work, and maybe a few sweet little family snippets like what sort of toys Archie likes playing with and what TV programmes he likes watching, but we'll see.

that's probably all tehy will do...

I find the timing of it all very interesting.

Is Commonwealth Day Service still on? The second monday will be 8 March, right?
Maybe they'll talk about it too, they're still the President and VP of QCT after all.

i think a lot of us translated 'privacy' with 'out of the spotlight'
but imo that's not what H&M meant with it.

It seems to me that what they see as 'privacy' is the freedom to choose the spotlight they want to be in, and to choose when and where that spotlight is on them and when not.

Valentine Low has written an article on The Times about Meghan's first meeting and friendship with Oprah Winfrey. From reading the beginning snippet of the article, there were some rumours that when Oprah was invited to wedding of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex in 2018, an interview with her could potentially happen.

Harry and Meghan: Sussexes to tell Oprah why they quit royal life
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...tell-oprah-why-they-quit-royal-life-krs3qq2ks

Valentine Low has also tweeted out and attached The Times article he written.
valentinelow @valentinelow
In The Times: how Oprah courted Meghan (and when she went to the Sussexes' wedding as a "friend" of the couple, she had only met Meghan once before).
8:57 PM · Feb 16, 2021·TweetDeck​

Sky News has also released an article analysing the Harry & Meghan's future interview with Oprah by Rhiannon Mills (Sky News Royal Correspondent). The article is written in first person, like the previous ITV's ones. As mentioned by some posters here, the timing of this interview plays a key role. Rhiannon Mills also stated that one of the big determining factor of Harry & Meghan's future with the Royal Family is whether or not the Sussexes would talk about them (both as an institution or as a family).

But most interesting will be what they have to say about the Royal Family?
We know that Meghan will talk about her life as a royal, and the couple will discuss their move to the United States.

When they announced they were stepping down as senior royals, Harry and Meghan showed us they're not afraid of speaking their minds and telling us how they see the situation, even if that goes against the official palace line.

Which is why this could be a particularly uncomfortable watch for the Windsors.

It must be said the timing of the interview is particularly interesting.
It comes almost a year after they stepped away from royal duties, and when they left, the Queen made it clear that the new working arrangement would be reviewed in 12 months.

That time is up.

So, is this a sign that Harry and Meghan feel they've been unfairly treated when it comes to negotiating their long-term future?

Of course Harry and Meghan are now free to do what they want when it comes to media appearances.

They are also under no obligation to inform the royal household of any plans.

But it's one thing not telling the institution. It's another not telling your family.

And it seems the family didn't know this was coming.

Meaning they may just have to sit and watch like the rest of us on 7 March to find out exactly how far they've decided to go.

Prince Harry and Meghan's interview with Oprah could be a particularly uncomfortable watch for the Windsors
When they announced they were stepping down as senior royals, the couple showed us they're not afraid of speaking their minds.
https://news.sky.com/story/prince-h...uncomfortable-watch-for-the-windsors-12219338

Last edited:
I loved following Harry and was excited when he met and married Megan. However, in recent months I have gone off them bigly to the point that I don't read about them at all. I surprised myself when I looked into this thread. I hope Harry doesn't live to regret his marriage to Megan, that there never comes a day when he misses his family so much that it makes him lonely but out of pride, due to the life they have chosen to live, he will not reach out to them. No good ever came out of any of the royals having these 'tell all' interviews. Best wishes to them though.

The program is 90 minutes, although presumably that is not all interview and, in addition to commercials, there will be voice overs of footage. Still that amounts to a good amount interview time.

I hope that this interview will be more positive and upbeat than the South Africa interview and have a lighter and less grouchy tone than most of the statements that the Sussexes have issued.

Presumably they are in a good place: settled in a home, the Netflix and Spotify deals, the launch of Archwell, court case wins and of course the impending arrival of their second child, and given that the interview will be forward looking, and when the past is touched upon, and it will and should be, will be thoughtful and reflective without score settling.

Last edited:
I don't think they'll be reckless enough to attack TRF straight on and say anything more than it's public knowledge now. But I also think we'll hear how unhappy Meghan was, how hard it was, "how good it is to be home" now... So basically I'm expecting the SA all over again, with an addition on how better they're treated in USA than in UK ?

I don't think they'll be reckless enough to attack TRF straight on and say anything more than it's public knowledge now. But I also think we'll hear how unhappy Meghan was, how hard it was, "how good it is to be home" now... So basically I'm expecting the SA all over again, with an addition on how better they're treated in USA than in UK ?

That would be unwise as it would push Meghan's popularity in the UK further below its already currently very low levels. But Meghan is reckless and overconfident, often overplaying her hand, so I wouldn't be surprised if she went that route.

:previous:

I doubt that popularity in the UK is an important factor in the mindset of the Duchess of Sussex at this stage. The ambitions seem to be focussed on the world at large and the United States in particular. If popularity in the UK was a driving force they would never have moved away.

Last edited:

Valentine Low seems to have forgotten, if he ever knew, that Oprah has known Meghan's mother Doria since before the wedding, as they belong to the same LA church. Also, Oprah was one of Diana's friends. There were several articles about them meeting up in London and the US in the 1990s.

I can say i'm not suprised, an Oprah interview was around for ages (and wink to those on this forum who swear to God that the Sussexes were not interested doing it. Of course they were, from day one).
Can we expect a Panorama 2.0 ? Again i'm positive a lot of people around here (you know who you are) are secretly wishing a bombshell interview with some names dropping, drama and tears. The only fact that it COULD be the case prove that the Sussexes are, again, dangerousely and foolishely playing in loose cannon mode in a perilous current context for the Monarchy in motherland.
I don't see any good from this interview : a bombshell would be another nail in the coffin of the Monarchy in the UK, a cheesy, rose tinted one would be totally out of touch with the Global situation.
Timing was never their forte, apparently it will never be.
Tiring, really ...

I should have mentioned it before, but it is incredibly disrespectful for Harry not to tell his father (at least) about the interview. He just continues to be rude and thoughtless when it comes to his family, and I’ve no patience with him at all.

I expect Meghan to whine about her terrible, brief life in the BRF...the show will probably get big ratings, and the entertainment media will lap it up, but this will not be covered by the media in general. We have a lot more important things going on in our country.

I hope that this interview will be more positive and upbeat than the South Africa interview and have a lighter and less grouchy tone than most of the statements that the Sussexes have issued.

Presumably they are in a good place: settled in a home, the Netflix and Spotify deals, the launch of Archwell, court case wins and of course the impending arrival of their second child, and given that the interview will be forward looking, and when the past is touched upon, and it will and should be, will be thoughtful and reflective without score settling.

i don't count on it myself. we've seen how these 2 behave and they go by their own book. they don't seem to have any concerns airing out their issues in public and accusing the RF (i remember how they involved other 'working royals' when they were told they couldn't be royals and work, or how they dragged eugenie and beatrice into their legal matters).

It seems to me that what they see as 'privacy' is the freedom to choose the spotlight they want to be in, and to choose when and where that spotlight is on them and when not.

which is hardly a request someone in the public eye can make. celebrities of any sort don't have a 'choice' over when the spotlight is on them and when not - there's paps around, the media will speculate on them, etc. i am not saying it is right but we hardly see celebs acting like prima donnas over each pap photo they get taken and over each editorial on them, yet the sussexes seem to think that having a judicial battle each time 'their privacy' is under attack is a good idea when in reality all is does is create worse PR for them.

basically, what they want is to control the media narrative so that their image is enhanced/isn't degraded so that they can make money out of commercial deals via the fact that they are semi-royals (but without any of the boring stuff, of course). if the editorial in question or the pap shot in question is a good one for them (enhances PR) than all is good, regardless of whether it breaches their privacy. if not, then there's consequences. sounds almost dictatorial!

i don't count on it myself. we've seen how these 2 behave and they go by their own book. they don't seem to have any concerns airing out their issues in public and accusing the RF (i remember how they involved other 'working royals' when they were told they couldn't be royals and work, or how they dragged eugenie and beatrice into their legal matters).

which is hardly a request someone in the public eye can make. celebrities of any sort don't have a 'choice' over when the spotlight is on them and when not - there's paps around, the media will speculate on them, etc. i am not saying it is right but we hardly see celebs acting like prima donnas over each pap photo they get taken and over each editorial on them, yet the sussexes seem to think that having a judicial battle each time 'their privacy' is under attack is a good idea when in reality all is does is create worse PR for them.

basically, what they want is to control the media narrative so that their image is enhanced/isn't degraded so that they can make money out of commercial deals via the fact that they are semi-royals (but without any of the boring stuff, of course). if the editorial in question or the pap shot in question is a good one for them (enhances PR) than all is good, regardless of whether it breaches their privacy. if not, then there's consequences. sounds almost dictatorial!

That's what celebrities do and we all know that Harry and Meghan are more celebrity than royalty at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
The media have been stirring up the news of this interview of the Sussexes with Oprah for their own reasons. It's not entirely coincidental that Meghan's big court win sent many editors, journalists and commentators off the deep end.

We don't know what this interview will consist of. However, as I posted before I will eat my hat if Harry or Meghan sit down to disrespect members of Harry's family in any way.

However, I suspect that the tabloid media in Britain may be the subjects of some remarks by Meghan and they don't like the fact that their persecution of her for nearly four years may be spotlighted.

That's the reason for all the angst in print and in comments about the Oprah interview over the last 24 hours or so, IMO. This interview will be aired only days after the next Court date to decide damages etc and that's probably no coincidence.

For the rest Meghan is likely to give glimpses into her new home, speak about her and Harry's family life in California (without comparisons to Britain) and also about what they seek to achieve with Archewell. There won't be any bombshells!

Last edited:
I expect Meghan to whine about her terrible, brief life in the BRF...the show will probably get big ratings, and the entertainment media will lap it up, ...

Yes, and of course Harry will bring up Diana, and whine about how her loss traumatized him forever.

And then they'll both whine about how terribly the press in the UK treated them and nobody in the RF offered the slightest support, etc. etc.

I think we can already tell how this interview will play out.

Let's leave Pss Eugenie out of this discussion.

:previous:

I doubt that popularity in the UK is an important factor in the mindset of the Duchess of Sussex at this stage. The ambitions seem to be focussed on the world at large and the United States in particular. If popularity in the UK was a driving force they would never have moved away.

I disagree. The more Meghan attacks the UK and talks about what a dreadful place it was for her and how good it feels to "be home again", the greater the pressure will be for her to be stripped of her British titles and styles. And being known as "Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex" seems to matter to her and is an essential part of her brand and business strategy.

The only bit about Britain that Meghan has ever attacked has been the tabloid media in their treatment of her. She has never complained about the people, the culture, the weather (which can be appalling) or anything else. What comments has she ever made in that vein? One remark about being glad to be home in California doesn't amount to a hatred of Britain.

Valentine Low seems to have forgotten, if he ever knew, that Oprah has known Meghan's mother Doria since before the wedding, as they belong to the same LA church. Also, Oprah was one of Diana's friends. There were several articles about them meeting up in London and the US in the 1990s.

This is a bit misleading, if technically true.

It is not as if Doria and Meghan belong to the same local Methodist congregation where members shake hands before the sermon when the pastor says "please greet your neighbor" and when you need help from a situation or a meal brought to you while recovering from surgery, you look up someone's personal mobile number in the printed directory and shoot a text that says, "I saw you live near me and also go to Grace. Could you make me a chicken pot pie?"

This is a church the size of a city and Doria and Oprah had never seen or spoken to one another in any capacity prior to Meghan marrying into the Royal Family. It seems that after Meghan shot to fame, Oprah reached out to Doria and they found this mutual connection. When Oprah attended the wedding, this idea that Doria and Oprah were "friends from church" like they attended Bible study every Thursday evening at the local Starbucks was written back into the story by those trying to justify her attendance (not that it needed to be justified, and we won't get into that spat here).

Oprah's relationship to the Sussexes derives solely from her outreach to Doria after Meghan became famous. There is nothing to suggest she maintained any sort of relationship to William and Harry deriving from her relationship with Diana. No one on any side has claimed any differently. Because of this, many, many people have long claimed that this interview was only a matter of time.

People can draw what conclusions they will and cast the people involved in what light they will based on those facts.

This is a bit misleading, if technically true.

It is not as if Doria and Meghan belong to the same local Methodist congregation where members shake hands before the sermon when the pastor says "please greet your neighbor" and when you need help from a situation or a meal brought to you while recovering from surgery, you look up someone's personal mobile number in the printed directory and shoot a text that says, "I saw you live near me and also go to Grace. Could you make me a chicken pot pie?"

This is a church the size of a city and Doria and Oprah had never seen or spoken to one another in any capacity prior to Meghan marrying into the Royal Family. It seems that after Meghan shot to fame, Oprah reached out to Doria and they found this mutual connection. When Oprah attended the wedding, this idea that Doria and Oprah were "friends from church" like they attended Bible study every Thursday evening at the local Starbucks was written back into the story by those trying to justify her attendance (not that it needed to be justified, and we won't get into that spat here).

Oprah's relationship to the Sussexes derives solely from her outreach to Doria after Meghan became famous. There is nothing to suggest she maintained any sort of relationship to William and Harry deriving from her relationship with Diana. No one on any side has claimed any differently. Because of this, many, many people have long claimed that this interview was only a matter of time.

People can draw what conclusions they will and cast the people involved in what light they will based on those facts.

Thank you for sharing the information about the church connection between Oprah and Doria.

It was inevitable from the moment we saw Oprah at their wedding that they would speak to her like this one day.

I actually don't care, if they want to be interviewed by her then so be it, let them. However, it proves their much repeated requests for "privacy" are hallow. Announcing an Oprah interview a day after announcing your second pregnancy is not what people who want privacy do. There won't be anything new in this - they won't bad mouth the Queen as that will make them look bad, they can't bad mouth Charles as he is the future King and controls the purse strings. At most they'll hit out at W&K with a few vague enough to deny them later words and phrases. They will likely hit out at the 'institution' and it won't at all surprise me if Meghan tries to say she was treated differently due to race, overlooking completely that they are in a hugely different position to W&K, Charles and Camilla etc. They will say how they are having good causes forced away from them because they have causes up a fuss - overlooking that they have chosen not be official working royals so no longer can do the things working official royals can do. Harry may talk about his ten years military service and how that should give him a pass on being the Queen's official representative to certain elements of the military even though he also wants to be a private person making Netlfix deals and living in LA. They will talk abut how wonderful their new life in LA is, how Meghan feels she can be herself etc etc etc.

The only news worthy thing to me is the fact is shows they don't want privacy at all - they want a subservient media who only praise them and do what they want and that they don't want to be royal any more - they want to be celebrities instead but choose which bits of royal life they want to still do.

The outcome - more media headlines for them, increase in brand value to lead nicely into second child's birth and an attempt to claim moral high ground from RF to keep charities. The RF will use it as further evidence they are now just celebrities and pull official patronages from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom