The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 01:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Kevin Maguire (Associate Editor of the Daily Mirror and a left-wing republican) actually said in a Good Morning Britain (ITV) interview with hosts Ben Shephard and Kate Garraway that Harry & Meghan's Oprah interview is "doing everything for the republican cause". In his segment, he also made multiple dig at the royal family though most of them were directed at Harry and Meghan.

Also in the panel were Chris Ship (ITV's royal correspondent) [first segment] and Andrew Pierces (Daily Mail columnist and Consultant Editor) [third segment]. Kevin Maguire and Andrew Pierces often appear together in morning political programmes including paper reviews.

Ben Shephard first introduced and asked questions to Kevin Maguire at 3:34. Kevin's response starts at 4:16
https://youtu.be/tABJLd2cvuA?t=214

Last week, Mike Graham was actually criticising Mike Tindall for using the furlough scheme with other TalkRadio host retweeting them as well. The Royal experts and reporters (Victoria Murphy, Victoria Arbiter, Dickie Arbiter, Chris Ship, Roya Nikkhah, Camilla Tominey, Rhiannon Mills...) also mentioned about other members of the Royal Family whether if it's about engagements, patronages, causes or breaking news. Last year, there were criticism from these royal correspondents on The Cambridges and Wessexes in the Sandringham light show. And let's not forget Omid Scobie pushing the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester under the bus on twitter in order to make Harry & Meghan's Frogmore Cottage renovation look good or even equating The Queen's address on Welsh Assembly to getting involved in politics when Harry & Meghan spoke about the US election. So it's not just about Harry and Meghan in a negative light.
I wonder why the change is happening now. From my memory the negativity wasn't this apparent.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
He did injure the BRF, and he did live it up in the US, and he probably didn’t plan to be a tabloid celebrity!
Unlike Harry and Meghan, Andrew didn't attack the BRF directly and he didn't live in the US permanently, and like Denville said, he is retired from royal duties and is pretty much out of the spotlight unlike Harry and Meghan who actively seek it.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
Unlike Harry and Meghan, Andrew didn't attack the BRF directly and he didn't live in the US permanently, and like Denville said, he is retired from royal duties and is pretty much out of the spotlight unlike Harry and Meghan who actively seek it.
I would just synopsize that the Sussexes and Andrew had crossed a line where they have disgraced themselves as senior working royals. One by his attitude and demeanor and arrogance and the others by going after their own personal fame and fortune separate from the workings of the "Firm".

All of them are deliciously human though and make mistakes and goof ups and make bad decisions like the rest of the human race though.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:42 AM
Majesty

I certainly wouldn't equate a man who disgraced the Crown by being accused of sexual relations with minors and was acknowledged as a great friend of a pedophile, with a happily married couple who have never directly attacked any member of the BRF but, due to media persecution, simply could not stand staying in the system any longer.

I think it's deeply objectionable to link what the Sussexes have done to what is alleged about Andrew, both in his private life and during his time as trade envoy. I didn't realise that living in the US was a crime against Queen and country, nor is being independently wealthy and not relying on Charles's bounty.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I certainly wouldn't equate a man who disgraced the Crown by being accused of mixed up in sexual relations with minors and acknowledged as a great friend of a pedophile, with a happily married couple who have never directly attacked any member of the BRF but, due to media persecution, simply could not stand staying in the system any longer.

I think it's deeply objectionable to link what the Sussexes have done to what is alleged about Andrew, both in his private life and during his time as trade envoy. I didn't realise that living in the US was a crime against Queen and country, nor is being independently wealthy and not relying on Charles's bounty.
You're absolutely right and I apologize for lumping the Sussexes in with Andrew and his disgrace. Not all children live and breathe to grow up and have Dad hang "& Sons" outside of the family business and if Harry and Meghan decided that wasn't the life they wanted to follow for the rest of their lives, they had the perfect right to follow their own dreams. I may not agree with the process which it all came about and how it was done but I respect their decision to live their lives as they choose to.

Andrew is totally different as it's his actions, his attitude and his self entitlement that catapulted him into being put out to pasture out of the public eye. He brought that on himself.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:07 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I certainly wouldn't equate a man who disgraced the Crown by being accused of sexual relations with minors and was acknowledged as a great friend of a pedophile, with a happily married couple who have never directly attacked any member of the BRF but, due to media persecution, simply could not stand staying in the system any longer.

For all that talk about how Meghan is a strong and brave woman, she is certainly very thin-skinned. Her treatment from the press isn't any worse from the previous married-ins, and at least the press didn't give her an insulting moniker like "Waity Katie" or "The Duchess of Pork".

As for living in the US, nobody had a problem with it, as long as he didn't whinge about how he could lose his royal titles or royal patronages because you know... he willingly left the UK.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:21 AM
Majesty

Do you really think that Charles and his grandparents don't understand why he did what he did? Above all they are family and functioning as disfunctually as many, many others.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Do you really think that Charles and his grandparents don't understand why he did what he did? Above all they are family and functioning as disfunctually as many, many others.

What are you trying to imply? Or, putting it in other words, what do you think Charles and Harry's grandparents understand about why "he did what he did" ?
Old 02-19-2021, 08:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I wish all the UK papers took that approach
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I love it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I don’t think the RF expects anyone to be cut off, never to attend family events again or whatever else. The RF works in two ways- official working royals who represent the Queen, carry out official duties, have patronages and make visits recorded in the CC OR members of the Queen's family who have their own lives doing day jobs or managing their own finances and who don’t formally represent the Queen. Its clear BP doesn’t want a middle ground half one or other and that is only fair.
If H&M aren’t working royals then they don’t have to run things like this through BP or follow the rules other royals do, but they also can’t do the official stuff working royals do. It really is quite simple. With this interview they are saying they are moving into celeb line of work- absolutely fine. Then just like Zara and Mike or Peter and Autumn they can do as they please business wise but can’t also be HM’s official representatives. They can have personal charities to support but those which are “official” expect working royals who represent the Queen and country not some LA based celebs who appear from time to time. I’m also sure when HM gave her own patronage of the National Theatre to Meghan it was on the hope Meghan would have more personal interest and role in it than HM was- evidently that is not now the case.
Of course H&M will remain part of the Queen's family and attend personal family events just as the Queen’s family all do.
Yep...and it’s now official that H and M won’t be returning as working Royals, so hopefully Harry won’t throw snits in the future when he’s not allowed to have a wreath laid for him, etc...

I don’t think he will rip his family intentionally, but H has a habit of putting his foot in his mouth, so who knows? M is a loose canon...and given that she’s done it before, I wouldn’t be surprised if she does it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
post 99

Yes but he doesn't live here. He doesn't want to live here.

That's why he's going to be on American television being interviewed by a well known American probably talking about his life in America. We all know that in the event of some hypothetical tragedy parliament would decide what happens next. That reality is of his making not the British people.
Which will go over really well in my country, where the pandemic still rages on and where we just rid of ourselves of a Fascist President only to have to deal with a snow storm of historic proportions in Texas. We are dealing also with the ruination of one of our political parties, much of which were involved with the attack on the Capitol and which continues to do much damage. Americans are in a bad state - we don’t want to hear H and M lecturing us or explaining why life in the BRF was sooo miserable.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Which will go over really well in my country, where the pandemic still rages on and where we just rid of ourselves of a Fascist President only to have to deal with a snow storm of historic proportions in Texas. We are dealing also with the ruination of one of our political parties, much of which were involved with the attack on the Capitol and which continues to do much damage. Americans are in a bad state - we don’t want to hear H and M lecturing us or explaining why life in the BRF was sooo miserable.
Now, you will also have Meghan and Harry complaining about life in the US and how it should be reformed....
Old 02-19-2021, 09:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Now, you will also have Meghan and Harry complaining about life in the US and how it should be reformed....

Actually it is a right of any American to complain about life in the US and talk about how it should be reformed. As it is, to be fair, also a right of Brits to do so in the UK. They don't live in 1930s Germany or in the old Soviet Union, so they can disagree with the way their country is run and advocate reform.

Having said that, the likes of Meghan, I think, have been now considerably calmed down after the "fascist President" (to use another poster's words) has left office and now that the Democrats are in control of both houses of Congress. There is still a lingering battle for the so-called "Progressives" within the Democratic Party to get an upper-hand over the more moderate or even conservative President Joe Biden, but I don't expect Meghan to be quite vocal or overly woke in her Oprah interview as she was during the election campaign. If anything, she may talk about "what a great opportunity we have now" to make some "fundamental changes in this country".
Old 02-19-2021, 09:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
For all that talk about how Meghan is a strong and brave woman, she is certainly very thin-skinned. Her treatment from the press isn't any worse from the previous married-ins, and at least the press didn't give her an insulting moniker like "Waity Katie" or "The Duchess of Pork".
This always reminds me of that old saying about "a lion never has to tell anyone it's a lion" and I must say that it certainly rings true. If you have to tell everyone that you're strong and brave and independent and all of those sorts of things, chances are that you're really anything but.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:50 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
This always reminds me of that old saying about "a lion never has to tell anyone it's a lion" and I must say that it certainly rings true. If you have to tell everyone that you're strong and brave and independent and all of those sorts of things, chances are that you're really anything but.
Well its a bit like poor Diana saying she was a strong woman.. when she was clealry anything but... but with Meghan it veers between "Im a strong powerful woman" and "Im a delicate sensitive soul.. please ask me how I am doing..."
Old 02-19-2021, 10:00 AM
Serene Highness

Oprah with Meghan and Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Actually it is a right of any American to complain about life in the US and talk about how it should be reformed. As it is, to be fair, also a right of Brits to do so in the UK. They don't live in 1930s Germany or in the old Soviet Union, so they can disagree with the way their country is run and advocate reform.

Having said that, the likes of Meghan, I think, have been now considerably calmed down after the "fascist President" (to use another poster's words) has left office and now that the Democrats are in control of both houses of Congress. There is still a lingering battle for the so-called "Progressives" within the Democratic Party to get an upper-hand over the more moderate or even conservative President Joe Biden, but I don't expect Meghan to be quite vocal or overly woke in her Oprah interview as she was during the election campaign. If anything, she may talk about "what a great opportunity we have now" to make some "fundamental changes in this country".

Unlike some Meghan’s critics, I don’t believe in the rumours and speculation that she would run for office in the White House or other political roles in the Democrat Party. Politics is very “cut-throat”, short-lived and “often end in failures”. There is definitely more scrutiny and intrusion in politics than Royal Family.

Meghan will probably continue to be a Democrat supporter like other celebrities and campaign for progressive causes on the US. She could theoretically mention this without actually being party political in the Oprah’s interview. But this will give the current British Government (under the Conservative) the ammunition to dislike the Sussexes even more (mainly because of opposing viewpoints). And they are most likely to not defend the couple if any negative reactions/stories come out (Well, they have better things to do in parliament to start with). It would not surprise me if they stand on The Queen & Royal Family side.

Let’s not forget the parliamentary letter written from female House of Commons MP to Meghan in mid-late 2019 (as a solidarity for the “racial and misogynistic abuse), most of them were from Labour followed by Lib Dem. There were less than 10 Conservative MPs (probably because most of them were focusing on Brexit). And that was when the Sussexes were still in the Firm
Old 02-19-2021, 10:14 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

And on that note let's end this political intermezzo and return to the topic of this thread, which is the duke and duchess of Sussex and their schedueled interview with the American media personality Oprah Winfrey. New posts about US politics or about the American culture war will be deleted.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:32 AM
Serene Highness

The Government does not "like" or "dislike" Harry and Meghan. The Government is trying to deal with the worst crisis since the Second World War. Politicians of all parties have far more important things to worry about than Harry and Meghan, and who says what on a TV talk show. The same applies to American politicians of all parties. These are difficult times. This interview will undoubtedly attract a lot of attention, but it's not a political matter, and people in both the UK and the US have got other things to worry about.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:24 PM
Courtier

. As I recall, Oprah DID interview the Duchess of York some years ago and I remember watching the O network and seeing the Duchess on her own reality show. So Harry and Meghan were not the first. Supposedly she wanted to interview Diana but nothing came of it.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
. As I recall, Oprah DID interview the Duchess of York some years ago and I remember watching the O network and seeing the Duchess on her own reality show. So Harry and Meghan were not the first. Supposedly she wanted to interview Diana but nothing came of it.

Here's a clip from the interview in 1996.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:05 PM
Courtier

Well no more royal Duty. but keeping the title. Wonder if this was the plan all along? Harry is a born Prince Ok. But Maghan is a married in one, I think for her it should be the same as for Sarah.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post
Well no more royal Duty. but keeping the title. Wonder if this was the plan all along? Harry is a born Prince Ok. But Maghan is a married in one, I think for her it should be the same as for Sarah.

Women get their titles from their husbands in English common law. Sarah was divorced and that is why she ceased to be an HRH. As long as Harry is a prince and a duke and Meghan is married to him, she will have the right to use his titles too.

Closed Thread