The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 05:12 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

If we can all leave Andrew, Nazi-costumes etc out of this discussion for now that would be great. The interview will start in a few hours so let's focus on that instead. Time to drop the subject and move on...

Old 03-07-2021, 05:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I 100% agree with this ^^, I don't think it is a bad thing to want fame. But what Meghan didn't realise is that royal fame comes with a lot more responsibility than being famous as an actress or on your own in some other way. The Vanity Fair cover certainly made a statement about the way Meghan saw being involved with the RF. As I recall not all that many people even speculated they were an item at the time so it wasn't about confirming a widely held believe but really making a statement that the two were together and Meghan was now 'in with the royals'.
I guess the hope was that with the right support rather than Hollywood style support she would easily move across into this different yet not all too dissimilar role.

Sad, Oprah is a great interviewer and it would be great to see her talk and ask about some of these issues (even without being too critical)with Meghan and Harry. More likely we'll get 2 hours of soft questions all based around the version of the truth Meghan and Harry want to tell.
Hints were being dropped, then there was the necklace with the H and M on it while they were still dating. . The normally wrapped up Meghan had a bare neck and open coat showing the necklace, the palace had got in touch to advise her it was bringing attention to the relationship.
But she wanted privacy.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:19 PM
Serene Highness

I appreciate that the couple could not have anticipated Philips illness but they must have known that it was Commonwealth day on the 8th. It is the same date every year. As part of the negotiations they could have insisted on avoiding this date. Once again an example of the couple taking over when it was another royals time.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent

I remember not believing the Vanity Fair article at first because it seemed to come out of the blue without too much fuss about them dating. Certainly Harry had been linked to other women where the relationship, if there was one at all, hadn't lasted long so there was no reason to believe otherwise this time.

I guess if Meghan believes she'd be able to go on doing things like that - Vanity Fair cover announcing you are in a relationship - then she would have felt 'silenced' by the Palace. But I would say they were giving her pretty good advice there to be honest ("they didn't support her" narrative aside).

I feel and have all along that while no one can blame H&M for all the media issues around them they certainly haven't helped matters, this interview being a case in point as well.

Hallo girl - I agree. It seems really mean spirited given how devoted to the Commonwealth the Queen is for the broadcast to go out now. If the RF hadn't changed usual plans the interview would have gone out in the US 1am UK time on Commonwealth day ensuring the tV broadcast HM and RF made was overshadowed completely. It has still somewhat but by the Commonwealth broadcasting going out today it isn't running alongside as much footage as H&M talking to Oprah as it might of. I get H&M maybe felt it marked a year since they left the UK but there seem lots of other dates they could have chosen that are significant to them and not HM, or even have waited a few days after Commonwealth Day. I don't know whether they picked the date of broadcast, I'm sure the network had a larger say, but if they were that bothered they'd have sorted it I'm sure.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:23 PM
Serene Highness

I am now off to bed , I expect a full up date on here for me to read as soon as I open my eyes in the morning.
All views gratefully accepted.
Night Night
Old 03-07-2021, 05:46 PM
Serene Highness

Rhiannon Mills (Sky News Royal Correspondent) was apparently told by a Palace insider, who finds it difficult to understand why Harry & Meghan decided to do an interview with Oprah in this circumstances (i.e. having a home, second child on the way, deals with Netflix and Spotify, wanting to distance themselves from being working royals).
Rhiannon Mills @SkyRhiannon
One palace insider said to me in some ways it’s hard to understand why Harry & Meghan have done this interview when they have their new home, baby on the way, lucrative deals “when the war is over it’s probably best to stop bombing” they said. Tonight we brace for the impact
5:25 AM · Mar 8, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/SkyRhiannon/stat...28779753627657

Even the Prime Minister was asked about whether or not he is going to watch the Oprah's interview by a Guardian journalist (which I think is a silly question). The answer is No, of course.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I don't think anyone particularly anticipated this, when Harry and Meghan first left - or am I being naïve? I think people were concerned that they'd embarrass the Royal Family by going for every commercial deal going, and that we'd get adverts saying "Hey, the Queen's grandson Prince Harry never gets his burgers and fries anywhere but Such-A-Place" or Meghan doing a voiceover on the next Disney princess film and that sort of thing, but not all this "toxic sniping", as Camilla Long very accurately puts it.

This is just horrible. It's doing no-one any good, and must be very upsetting for the Queen and Prince Philip, who don't need all this grief at their age. What is Harry thinking of?
Well they don't seem to be producing any of these films or programmes for Netflix, do they? Is this because with Coivid it isn't possible or do they not have any ideas? If the latter, then I think they have to do interviews like Oprah, to keep their names in front of the public...
Old 03-07-2021, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Is there a way to watch the interview online?
Old 03-07-2021, 06:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Even if Harry and Meghan completely blast and embarrass Charles, I expect them to be invited to the family events, including the jubilee. However, unlike the 60th jubilee, Harry and Meghan probably won't be on the balcony unless the entire extended family is there.
As I recall during the last Jubilee the only people on the boat and on the balcony were the Queen, Prince Philip, Prince Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Harry to show how they were going to scale back the royal family going forward. And it was said that Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Harry and his wife would be the working royal family once Charles came to the throne.

Since that was the case last time, I expect them to do the same thing this time, to show what the working royal family will be under Charles. Since Harry and Meghan have walked away they will clearly not take part in any public functions at all. So I don't expect either of them to turn up. I'm guessing Edward and Sophie will take their place and that is why we have seen so much more of them publicly.

As for other events like funerals and weddings I think it's hard to know right now what the royal family will do. If Phillip passes soon I think it highly unlikely they'd be able to have more than a handful of people at a funeral anyway. So I don't think Harry gets an invite.

The Queen's funeral is the occasion the invite and the Sussex attendance is most likely to matter at. I do think they will be invited and I think at least Harry will show. What Charles' coronation will look like is anyone's guess. Who knows who gets invited or how big it is.

Weddings don't matter because let's face it that's a good 30 years off and I suspect only the most dedicated of royal watchers will care about Harry by then. And I know people will say he's a queen's grandson, a King's son/brother but there's a lot of people who have no idea who Princess Margaret's children are. Heck, I know people who don't know who Prince Edward and Sophie are. So, I can easily see how that will be the case for Harry and Meghan in 2051 or so when we're looking at the marriage of George, Charlotte or Louis and whether the Sussex merit an invite. Especially if they haven't really been to any royal outings in the decades in between.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
You may be able to get it on Amazon tonight if they carry the Paramount channel in your country. CBS is part of Paramount. You may be able to get tomorrow evening on your local services.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:35 PM
Courtier

At this point, less than two hours from tip-off, I can only hope that the interview is broadcast without that music.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post

are you in the US, you can connect to CBS via your internet for free, not sure about other countries
Old 03-07-2021, 07:17 PM
Serene Highness

Another (I think final) teaser of the Oprah's interview. Chris Ship filmed the short clip from his TV, hence the quality. This time it was on why Archie was not given the title of a Prince. Meghan's answer was cut out again to provide more tension.
Chris Ship@chrisshipitv
NEW: A teaser clip just aired on @cbs in which @Oprah asked Meghan why Archie (a “great-grandson of *The Queen, says Oprah) wasn’t made a Prince.
We weren’t given Meghan’s answer.
Not yet ...
11:11 AM · Mar 8, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...15873301786627
Old 03-07-2021, 07:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Another (I think final) teaser of the Oprah's interview. Chris Ship filmed the short clip from his TV, hence the quality. This time it was on why Archie was not given the title of a Prince. Meghan's answer was cut out again to provide more tension.
Chris Ship@chrisshipitv
NEW: A teaser clip just aired on @cbs in which @Oprah asked Meghan why Archie (a “great-grandson of *The Queen, says Oprah) wasn’t made a Prince.
Not yet ...

I just saw this. OMG! Amateur royal watchers know the answer. This is just ludicrous
Old 03-07-2021, 07:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
I just saw this. OMG! Amateur royal watchers know the answer. This is just ludicrous
Yep, Oprah is definitely taking advantage of American ignorance on all things BRF. Next she'll probably ask "How did you feel when William was picked to be the next King after Charles?"
Old 03-07-2021, 07:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Rhiannon Mills (Sky News Royal Correspondent) was apparently told by a Palace insider, who finds it difficult to understand why Harry & Meghan decided to do an interview with Oprah in this circumstances (i.e. having a home, second child on the way, deals with Netflix and Spotify, wanting to distance themselves from being working royals).
Rhiannon Mills @SkyRhiannon
One palace insider said to me in some ways it’s hard to understand why Harry & Meghan have done this interview when they have their new home, baby on the way, lucrative deals “when the war is over it’s probably best to stop bombing” they said. Tonight we brace for the impact
5:25 AM · Mar 8, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/SkyRhiannon/stat...28779753627657

Even the Prime Minister was asked about whether or not he is going to watch the Oprah's interview by a Guardian journalist (which I think is a silly question). The answer is No, of course.

In fairness Borris just said it was on really late.

He was trying to direct the conversation back to why he was there, vaccine.

Of course a royal aid doesn't get it. Royal aids are focussed souly on pomp, ceremony and cutting ribbons life of royals.

The interview is not simply about why they left the royal family. Its about what they want to do with their lives. Its helping to promote their charity work and their business. Its not hard to grasp for most people why they are doing such an interview right now.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post

I can't believe Oprah asked Meghan if she had "suspicions" as to why "They didn't want to make Archie a prince?" Meghan, " I can give you an honest answer."

I'm hoping that Meghan will quote chapter and verse from the Letters Patent in that honest answer to Oprah's question.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Chris Ship@chrisshipitv
Not yet ...

If she asks that, I hope Meghan educates Oprah on the Letters Patent 1917.

Considering, however, that Harry and Meghan are the ones who didn't want Archie to use his courtesy title of Earl of Dumbarton, I don't know why their son's title would be an issue for them.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Yep, Oprah is definitely taking advantage of American ignorance on all things BRF. Next she'll probably ask "How did you feel when William was picked to be the next King after Charles?"

it starts in half an hour here in New York, I will let you all know what the answer is
Old 03-07-2021, 07:37 PM
Aristocracy

LOL @ That question. Archie will be made a Prince when HRH King Charles ascends the throne.

Closed Thread