The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 05:42 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

What we do not want is to have two parallel discussions between the same posters about exactly the same topics in two different threads.

We have hesitated to re-open the General News thread for that reason but on posters request it has been re-opened nonetheless.

Please make sure that you use that thread for all topics other than the Oprah interview and use this one when you want to discuss the Oprah-interview.

Several posts have been deleted. If you want to use the now deleted text for the General News thread you can contact me and I can send it to you by PM.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Here's an example of how I think she's shooting herself in the foot with this interview. She thinks she sounds reasonable by saying how restricted she was before, versus how liberated she now is to speak for herself. She doesn't sound reasonable at all actually because that's the deal when you become a working member of the BRF. That's the deal. She signed up to those restrictions, that protocol and that system without anyone forcing her. In return for the influential position and the huge privileges, you relinquish your right to voice an unvetted opinion for years until you reach the status of 'National Treasure' or become heir to the throne.
Yes, but she’s playing to an American audience who don’t know the restrictions on the members of the RF. They’ll just assume that Meghan was “silenced” because she’s biracial

Old 03-05-2021, 07:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Yes, but she’s playing to an American audience who don’t know the restrictions on the members of the RF. They’ll just assume that Meghan was “silenced” because she’s biracial

Or the institution itself is the problem- archaic, backward, etc.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Or the institution itself is the problem- archaic, backward, etc.
The whole notion of a Royal Family is archaic and backward. You cannot modernize this notion without it ceasing to exist
Old 03-05-2021, 08:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The whole notion of a Royal Family is archaic and backward. You cannot modernize this notion without it ceasing to exist

True. But- I suspect some viewers will walk out with the idea that Meghan was the victim of this horrible institution. She was a saint, and everything that went wrong was on someone else/the institution. (Not to go OT- but her Suits co- stars rant on Twitter is a good example of the takeaway I can see from some viewers.)
Old 03-05-2021, 08:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
No we don't assume that Meghan was silenced because she was biracial. We assume that she knew she was to follow rules, just like any human that is being "paid" by any cooperation or firm. You don't follow the rules, you get told about your misconduct or fired. Simple. This woman got huge amounts of money for clothes [which she then sold and was against the rules] and became political, which also overstepped the rules. That is what Americans understand as they also follow these same rules in their everyday lives. Each company, cooperation or firm has policies that employees know and have signed to follow. Race has absolutely nothing to do with following rules. JMO
Old 03-05-2021, 08:43 PM
Heir Apparent

This video is making the rounds. SMH. It’s a shame royal correspondents would do this. It just proves some of what the Sussexes were saying.

https://twitter.com/joshua_pieters/s...206871040?s=21
Old 03-05-2021, 08:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
For a woman of the world, successful actress, philanthropist, wolrdwide public figure etc, as she was sold to us by her fans, you have to admit this is rather bizarre :
"I"m sorry, i didn't FULLY understand all the implications".
C'mon ...
Everyone is going to believe what they wish to believe and see what they wish to see regarding the Sussexes. I try to be open-minded and reflective, and fair. No one is perfect. But Meghan does not deserve the trolling, hate, constant critiques, and online bullying she has received. When a person falls deeply in love, even in their thirties, that is still young, no matter how accomplished and experienced a life Meghan led previously.

And frankly, although Meghan led a public life and she was fairly well-traveled, she was mainly focused on the circumscribed bubble of the acting world, which involved chiefly concentrating on auditions. Her humanitarian pursuits flourished once she became successful on Suits, when she had the time and money to branch out more. In one's 20s and early 30s, it is still a time of learning and growing. Entering the world of royalty was a completely new and different experience for Meghan, as it would be for anyone who didn't travel in aristocratic circles since childhood. Heck, royal life was even a steep learning curve for Diana, who was born into an aristocratic family, yet her early life was fairly sheltered, despite her father once having served as equerry to the Queen.

Furthermore, being in love makes a person see everything in a positive light and they eagerly want their relationship to work and they want to believe the best, despite any inkling of difficulties that might lie ahead with the loved one's family or any unusual circumstances. Meghan was honest in the S.A. interview that she blithely dismissed warnings about the U.K. press from her British friends because she had no deep knowledge or experience of British tabloid media having such an impact and presence in British cultural life, which is very different than tabloid media in the U.S.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:12 PM
Serene Highness

The thing I find most appalling about the whole Oprah interview, based upon the previews, is that Prince Harry, who I would assume knows the restrictions on the members of the RF, is complicit with her in her complaints. If he wasn't, he would not be doing the Oprah interview with her. No one made her marry into the family. She chose to. In the transcript from their engagement interview is the following snippet:

BBC: Do you have that sense of responsibility, Prince Harry, for what you are asking Meghan to do?

Prince Harry: Of course, that sense of responsibility was essentially from day one, or maybe a couple of months in, when I started to realize actually this is, I feel I know that I am in love with this girl and I hope that she is in love with me but we still have to sit down on the sofa. You know, I still have to have some pretty frank conversations with her to say what you are letting yourself in for it’s a big deal. It’s not easy for anybody. But I know at the end of the day, she chooses me and I choose her, and therefore whatever we have to tackle together or individually, it will always be us together as a team.

I wonder if he ever had those "pretty frank conversations" with her that he still needed to have at that point.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:57 AM
Royal Highness

I believe that is why he will not be in that part of the interview _ essentially he is a high ranked member of the family that she is talking about. So not having him in the room separates him from having to say any thing . Also it gives him the opportunity to later say that he never made the allegations, it was Meghan.

Okay so it appears SS had a war plan for after the interview _ and the friends on twitter and there is a lot more will be coming the Windsor’s way. The Times article probably preempted that and it has started early. There is going to be a lot of mud slinging. There will be a lot on Twitter and in general weeks of this.
I must say that BP really need to come out with better evidence . As people tend to believe a single woman against an institution, and that is what Meghan’s whole plan revolves around. They need to release video or something really groundbreaking to break the cycle of the spin. Or SS will just continue their chipping away.
Meghan may have been contractual bound to do this interview and they couldn’t have gotten out of it. They have a lot invested in this interview, their Netflix, Spotify and Archwell foundation is build on them having first hand experience of bulling and mental health. You remove that now, and it collapses. If one smudge of evidence exists I would think the palace would release it, so I don’t think any is out there.
It is actually very common for the victims of bullying to be counter attached with allegations of bullying, ask any HR employer. It is just what happens which is why most bullying cases end in mediation. Which is why concrete evidence is needed , not testimonies by friends. Without it is is all allegation.
Old 03-06-2021, 03:01 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
. You know, I still have to have some pretty frank conversations with her to say what you are letting yourself in for it’s a big deal. It’s not easy for anybody. But I know at the end of the day, she chooses me and I choose her, and therefore whatever we have to tackle together or individually, it will always be us together as a team.

I wonder if he ever had those "pretty frank conversations" with her that he still needed to have at that point.
[...]

I find it hard to believe that she didn't know what she was letting herself in for, even if Harry didn't spell it out, but it's possible. If so, that wasn't very fair either on the Royal Family or on her.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:02 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
This video is making the rounds. SMH. It’s a shame royal correspondents would do this. It just proves some of what the Sussexes were saying.

Good grief, that's appalling and so unprofessional.

Meanwhile, social and news media are stacked with articles about the interview, about Oprah, about the Sussexes and about the Royal Family. I hope the interview counteracts some enduring falsehoods, clarifies some misunderstandings and sets the record straight on objective facts but I still don't think that will be enough to outweigh the potential repercussions. It feels like Diana's interview when it sounded like it was a good opportunity for her to drop some truth bombs but the impact was as damaging to herself as it was to others.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I certainly wouldn't equate a man who disgraced the Crown by being accused of sexual relations with minors and was acknowledged as a great friend of a pedophile, with a happily married couple who have never directly attacked any member of the BRF but, due to media persecution, simply could not stand staying in the system any longer.

I think it's deeply objectionable to link what the Sussexes have done to what is alleged about Andrew, both in his private life and during his time as trade envoy. I didn't realise that living in the US was a crime against Queen and country, nor is being independently wealthy and not relying on Charles's bounty.
Is there any proof A, had sex with minorS? And I think being a friend to someone involved in criminal actions does not make him a criminal as well. I´m not a fan of Prince Andrew, but I also think he did a good job as a trade envoy, which was very much supported by the brit. government!

And no, living in the US is not a "crime" for "Mr and Mrs so and so" from Liverpool or Manchester. But for a once highly profiled royal couple, the son of the heir apparent and the late Princess of Wales, who was born and destined to support the Crown, later Harry´s father and his elder brother, they both let, not only his family, but millions of people down and have acted in such a disappointing way I have no words for!
But no, he could not have enough! He was not satisfied by being permitted to marry a totally unsuitable woman (low profiled "actress", divorced) he, only 30 or 40 years ago, wouldn´t have been able to marry, Prince Harry keeps on moaning about his dreadful, though highly priviliged life back in Britain, although he was highly respected and loved, to make up this disgraceful soap opera in the States.
Yes, they both had problems (many of it self created) after it all began so bright and virtually everybody received them with open arms wherever they went! But throwing all away, both priviliges as well as the duties that come along with it, Harry´s illustrious background and the heritage he was born into, and giving his royal grandmother such a hard time, disappointing her in the last years of her life in such a cruel manner, is simply beyond me!
Old 03-06-2021, 04:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I am appalled at the regurgitation of year old spite and malice coming from the palace supposedly pre-empting the Oprah interview.

I have now lost ALL respect for the Firm having announced their HR department will be investigating Meghan bullying staff on the strength of these anonymous victims pitiful tales leaked and printed in the media. Hell, The Times even published an accusation from one of these shrinking violets that Meghan was deliberately unkind as part of her master plan to have she and Harry appear forced to leave. Really?

Harry and Meghan have no control over out of context clips released as publicity by Harpo Productions and said nohing until the palace decided to leak like a sieve and then announce they will investigate mean Meghan.
??? The Palace is not "investigating mean Meghan", but if there is evidence if both she and H had been bullied by members of the court.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:24 AM
Serene Highness

Chris Ship mentioned about how The View is the UK version of ITV's Loose Women, I would bet to differ. Comparing to The View covering the same topic on the upcoming interview with Oprah, the discussion on Loose Women is very tamed and balanced. Jane Moore was at one point a royal correspondent and reported/covered Diana, Princess of Wales. Loose Women do not discuss politics, but rather focus on light hearted topics or celebrity news.

Here is Chris Ship's tweet and also quoting The View's footage.
Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
If the views expressed on @theview today (the US version of @loosewomen) about the Oprah/Meghan/Harry/bullying thing, is anything to go by - it suggests many Americans might have already made up their minds about which side they are on.
(Clue - it's not the Palace)
8:42 AM · Mar 5, 2021·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...91198928510983

Victoria Murphy written a piece in the Town & Country magazine on how the stakes for Harry & Meghan's Oprah interview is so high in terms of public opinions.

Why the Stakes for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Oprah Interview Are So High
The monarchy simply cannot afford to lose this battle for public opinion.
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...high-analysis/
Old 03-06-2021, 04:30 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post

That kind of thing is common. I even feel a bit queasy when the BBC make documentaries of a life of elderly national treasures to show on the evening of their death basically having family and friends talking like they have died. I watched it. All pretty innocuous I could say that now...meh.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:41 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Is there any proof A, had sex with minorS? And I think being a friend to someone involved in criminal actions does not make him a criminal as well. I´m not a fan of Prince Andrew, but I also think he did a good job as a trade envoy, which was very much supported by the brit. government!

And no, living in the US is not a "crime" for "Mr and Mrs so and so" from Liverpool or Manchester. But for a once highly profiled royal couple, the son of the heir apparent and the late Princess of Wales, who was born and destined to support the Crown, later Harry´s father and his elder brother, they both let, not only his family, but millions of people down and have acted in such a disappointing way I have no words for!
But no, he could not have enough! He was not satisfied by being permitted to marry a totally unsuitable woman (low profiled "actress", divorced) he, only 30 or 40 years ago, wouldn´t have been able to marry, Prince Harry keeps on moaning about his dreadful, though highly priviliged life back in Britain, although he was highly respected and loved, to make up this disgraceful soap opera in the States.
Yes, they both had problems (many of it self created) after it all began so bright and virtually everybody received them with open arms wherever they went! But throwing all away, both priviliges as well as the duties that come along with it, Harry´s illustrious background and the heritage he was born into, and giving his royal grandmother such a hard time, disappointing her in the last years of her life in such a cruel manner, is simply beyond me!
I agree, if we go by that logic, then most of the Hollywood elites including Oprah are also criminals because they were friends with Harvey Weinstein.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:51 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
He was not satisfied by being permitted to marry a totally unsuitable woman (low profiled "actress", divorced) he, only 30 or 40 years ago, wouldn´t have been able to marry,
What's unsuitable about a divorced actress? The Queen's own sister and three of her children were divorced. The heir to the throne is married to a divorcee. Jobs done by others who have married working royals include photographer, PR, PA, show-jumping and accessories buyer. None of them are royal or aristocrats.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
He was not satisfied by being permitted to marry a totally unsuitable woman (low profiled "actress", divorced) he, only 30 or 40 years ago, wouldn´t have been able to marry, Prince Harry keeps on moaning about his dreadful, though highly priviliged life back in Britain, although he was highly respected and loved, to make up this disgraceful soap opera in the States.
I kind of want to joke that the "suitable" women in his life didn't want to marry him, but that would be awful of me

And on a serious note. There is nothing wrong with who Meghan is or was at the point of their marriage. Divorced? Sure, like 3 of 4 HMQ's children. Her marriage ended way before she even met Harry. Actress? Yes, so what? It gave her even a few advantages in this case.

I have many issues with that Meghan and Harry did and said over the years. She was either completely unprepared to take on the role of a working member of BRF or had her own, hidden agenda right from the start (as is suggested by Meghan's own words in Oprah's interview). For this to work they would have had to take things slow and let her see how things look and how things work in BRF. But she's not - nor has been at the time of their marriage - unsuitable based on being divorced and an actress.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:15 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
What's unsuitable about a divorced actress? The Queen's own sister and three of her children were divorced. The heir to the throne is married to a divorcee. Jobs done by others who have married working royals include photographer, PR, PA, show-jumping and accessories buyer. None of them are royal or aristocrats.
She is not unsuitable because she was a divorced actress. She seems to be unsuitable because she did not want to follow the rules of the BRF, and everyone is now questioning why, was it her goal from the start, or did she really not know what she was getting into, divorce has nothing to do with this scandal.

Closed Thread