The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 11:37 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
My reply was more to the point that as a grown adult she should be able to make that decision.

If I (average person in the midwest) can grasp that without being “handled” then so would others, especially a highly educated, experienced woman, having dealt with media and interviews before.... She was not a naive 19/20 year old.
She wanted to change the rules on how BRF operates, but failed and bailed

Old 03-05-2021, 11:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ester View Post
She wanted to change the rules on how BRF operates, but failed and bailed
The sad thing is that in time and handled properly she could have influenced change.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:43 AM
Royal Highness

The other option was she never wanted to change anything and it doesn't matter if she did or didn't know the regulations; just get the prince, the title, the fame, and then leave once it no longer suited her. :/
Old 03-05-2021, 11:46 AM
Royal Highness

You aren't free to say exactly what you think in Hollywood either, let alone as a civil servant in general. That's why actors have a whole team of people making sure they're on brand and people get fired from TV shows and movies for saying or doing the wrong thing.

Given how this is exactly why at least one of Harry's previous relationships is supposed to have ended it seems extraordinary that he didn't explain exactly what life would be like. Either he did and she assured him she could handle it or change it, he did and she lied saying she was okay with that or he didn't tell her the full truth and she didn't do her own research.

She's not a stupid woman, she could do some research into Kate and realise as a 22 year old she had journalists openly speculating on her virginity, suitability, personality, career choices and her family's history and the Middletons barely said a word and still barely do. Or Bea and Eugenie getting called the ugly step sisters from when they were about 12 and never complaining publicly. Or better yet look at how many times HM actually says what she wants. Basically once a year and even then it's uncontroversial things with her faith and family thrown in.

And they both still want all of the perks without any of the drawbacks.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:50 AM
Aristocracy

Sometime ago I realized that being wealthy by being royal is the worst kind of wealthy .

You can't buy luxury villa, 10 newest sports cars, no exotic vacation every other month. The most extraordinary jewelery is mostly collecting dust.
Royal life is really limiting and nt that glamorous. No amount of wealth is wroth it, especilly when you can't really use it without being judge by media.
I think Meghan didn't realize there is a huge difference between being a wealthy celebrity and wealthy royal.
She should've read this forum. It's very eyes-opening and "un-glamourizing" royal life.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:51 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I thought that it said she couldn't have a personal conversation with Oprah? But that's something different. If she wanted to chat to Oprah... on a friend's level. I can't imagine anyone objecting to that.. but if she wanted to talk to Op about doing an interview.. surely she realised she could not do that.. She wasn't an actress promoting a TV show...
I found that line to be telling. If she was told/advised/asked not to speak to Oprah alone, the comms team probably knew that Meghan and Oprah were not at all friends and also knew that Oprah had been asking for an interview.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:53 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
But that has been the issue from day 1 right? Even with other members of the royal family and the criticism and harassment they received. It was Diana and Catherine...the knives were out for those women marrying into the royal family while the male members seem to get a free pass. Even if the couple did an act- it was always the woman that was criticized. It's all part of the sexist agenda of the press
I don't go off topic but I also don't think this is necessarily true. The knives were not out for Diana when she married into the family. She was almost universally beloved by the media. There were times that she, like the male members of the family, fell into disfavor, but that was rare and was usually tied to her behavior and short lived. Her real problem was the intrusiveness of the press.

Although Meghan generally received glowing media when she first married into the family, she was certainly criticized more than Diana was. But it is a different time. I'm not sure that Diana would have received the loving media she did if she were to marry into the family now. People are less deferential and ruder in some cases.

Moreover, there were times when the media said things that Meghan reasonably found offensive. There were a few outright racist statements, but I truly believe that most offense was caused by thoughtlessness or a lack of understanding rather than hostility.

Unfortunately, I think that Meghan and Harry are making one of Diana's major mistakes, giving interviews about their personal relationships and feelings and then expecting that the media will leave them alone when they want privacy. It's not going to happen. If Meghan and Harry want privacy, they should not give TV interviews or collaborate with friendly writers. It appears they are fine with not having any privacy, as long as the media is positive.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalNight View Post
Sometime ago I realized that being wealthy by being royal is the worst kind of wealthy .

You can't buy luxury villa, 10 newest sports cars, no exotic vacation every other month. The most extraordinary jewelery is mostly collecting dust.
Royal life is really limiting and nt that glamorous. No amount of wealth is wroth it, especilly when you can't really use it without being judge by media.
I think Meghan didn't realize there is a huge difference between being a wealthy celebrity and wealthy royal.
She should've read this forum. It's very eyes-opening and "un-glamourizing" royal life.
well, now she is a rich celebrity and is still complaining, it's becoming tiresome, I really liked her in the beginning.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:00 PM
Commoner

Quote:

This. When she realized they got insanely famous because of the royal family and i’m sure they were offered all these deals even back then, they decided to leave. Honestly, they played this game so well. Just imagine making all these money just by complaining about the things that’s the reason you’re making money
Old 03-05-2021, 12:05 PM
Royal Highness

I somehow feel this is just the start - is going to do ever talk show, late show in the states - maybe a few in the UK. Got to tell her truth - spread it around.
I mean she has to counter ever single thing in the UK press, on the internet and twitter somehow, to counter all that bullying and negativity of her image. I can image how the Netflix and Spotify account will be.
Today on Spotify I would like to start about how racist it was for Buckingham Palace to make me wear a hat. My special guests with be Ellen and Omid and we will show you how you can also stand up for racism with your refusal to wear head gear.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:09 PM
Courtier

So, a more serious commentary of the subject.

Meghan feels that certain restrictions, which were explained to her since the beginning - and a group of flying elephants will not convince me otherwise - were too much for her to handle. That's a basic requirement of this job and of this family, something mentioned in hundreds of documentaries and articles. She got a taste of it even before the wedding - if it was too much for her to handle, why not call the whole thing off? Why not negotiate a different position, without a title, that would allow her to have more freedom? Why agree to be a full-time working royal, while she perfectly knew that it was too much for her?

I feel somewhat sympathetic towards that. It's hard to suddenly not be able to voice your opinion on anything, to smile and shake hands of foreign dignitaries, heads of state or diplomats that you, deep down, hate. I do understand the struggle. What I don't understand, is why she did it.

It gives a lot of credentials to the theory that she had that exit planned since day one She wanted to suffer through a few years, get her name out there, become an international star and pack up her life from UK (with her husband or not) and go back to California, to live her life as lavishly as she wants, in a mansion with 16 bathrooms, without the boundaries of the job. It's sickening in the worst way possible.

And I won't even start on Harry, who either got conned in one of the most spectacular ways in royal history or has been stupid enough to go with the plan and execute it, knowing that it'll hurt his whole family.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:15 PM
Aristocracy

I will say one thing: if it is conclusively proven that she did bully her staff, Oprah, Gayle King and CBS will be hugely embarrassed.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
IMO Meghan didn't have enough time to observe and get to know the Firm. Most of their relationship she lived in Canada. With time difference and busy schedules during calls or being together H&M focused on each other. There probably wasn't enough time for Harry to talk about everyday work-life in the Palace.
To compare, Kate got years of second-hand experience of being a royal and reality of workng with palace staff. Not to mention being somebody's boss. It's much different than being an emploee or an actress on set.

Meghan was not prepared enough and didn't ease into her new role. She jumped right in.
My thoughts exactly, Harry and Meghan met in 2016 and just a year later, they announced their engagement. I think they got engaged a bit too fast compared to other royals in their generation.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I somehow feel this is just the start - is going to do ever talk show, late show in the states - maybe a few in the UK. Got to tell her truth - spread it around.
I mean she has to counter ever single thing in the UK press, on the internet and twitter somehow, to counter all that bullying and negativity of her image. I can image how the Netflix and Spotify account will be.
Today on Spotify I would like to start about how racist it was for Buckingham Palace to make me wear a hat. My special guests with be Ellen and Omid and we will show you how you can also stand up for racism with your refusal to wear head gear.
And a lot of posters experienced that first hand on this very same forum.
How many very valuable members, now gone, often experienced royal watchers, where called out as racists because they dared to raise some doubts about Ms Markle 's abilty to adjust to the Royal life.
Now she's saying it : apparently it was unbearable.
Monarchy is not a game, a part time hobby, a springboard to worldwide recognition. It's a difficult, challenging, exhausting monster with intricate rules.
And as we all know, the Crown always win.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Eleanor View Post
I will say one thing: if it is conclusively proven that she did bully her staff, Oprah, Gayle King and CBS will be hugely embarrassed.
Unless there is video or a very good audio somewhere it is unlikely to be conclusively 100% believed.

However there are currently people looking for the smoking gun right now.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
My thoughts exactly, Harry and Meghan met in 2016 and just a year later, they announced their engagement. I think they got engaged a bit too fast compared to other royals in their generation.
And, allegedly, that's why Wiliam told his brother that the engagement was coming too fast. And Harry was not pleased.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:51 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Maybe that will be addressed. Perhaps she did not realize how restrictive it really was until she was in it. Knowing you cant just say whatever whenever is one thing...being handled is a different level.

LaRae
I am sure that experiencing and hearing about it are different (although prior to the engagement she had staff already nod her in the right direction, so she had some experience). However, in her South Africa-interview she herself told that when people tried to warn her about her new life (regarding the media in that specific case), she was fast to dismiss it and not willing to hear anything about it. So, that could very well apply to the limitations placed on royals in terms of sharing their points of view as well; I am quite sure she was told about it but she may have chosen to ignore it as it did not align with her goal of marrying her prince.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I am sure that experiencing and hearing about it are different (although prior to the engagement she had staff already nod her in the right direction, so she had some experience). However, in her South Africa-interview she herself told that when people tried to warn her about her new life (regarding the media in that specific case), she was fast to dismiss it and not willing to hear anything about it. So, that could very well apply to the limitations placed on royals in terms of sharing their points of view as well; I am quite sure she was told about it but she may have chosen to ignore it as it did not align with her goal of marrying her prince.
Her goal of marrying a prince? Do you have info I have not seen?

She dis not dismiss the comments and ignore them just for the sake of not wanting to hear it, she did not understand it would be as bad as it was.

LaRae
Old 03-05-2021, 01:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I fear that history is repeating itself but not the way Harry was referring to.
if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all
Panorama burnt all bridges and the same will happen here.
And the relation to the BRF is the one thing that is interesting about Harry and Meghan.
Once this is gone, the Hollywood scene has many philanthropic people who have a much more interesting appeal.

They will be lose cannons soon, and possibly Harry will repeat history indeed, being torn between two worlds, like his great-great uncle David.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:01 PM
Courtier

Here's the problem, IMO, about saying things now like you didn't have the "right and privilege" to speak to Oprah back in 2018. No, you surely did not.

You had the "right and privilege" to:
  • Have a horse-drawn carriage pull you down closed streets
  • Have the flowers of the Commonwealth embossed on your veil as a symbol that you represented those people
  • Wear clothes and jewels of immense price purchased by your husband from monies afforded to him and his family only due to their rank and position
  • Wear a crown on your head representing the favor of HM The Queen as representative of the people of the United Kingdom
  • Be entrusted with a Commonwealth role as representative of HM The Queen
  • Your husband, as a gift upon his marriage to you, being granted a hereditary royal ducal title that all educated commentators understood 100% without question was granted to him in exchange for a life of service to the Crown

If this trade-off was a problem, the Sussexes never should have accepted any of the above. And they continue to live every day of their lives reaping the benefits of accepting the above.

What was the Sussex team line? "Let's call this what it is"?

I don't believe for one moment that the Sussexes did not know the exchange, or "what they were getting themselves into." So, if they knew the above "trade-off" wasn't acceptable to them, why take it in the first place? If it was going to be a problem to not have the "right and privilege" to give an interview to Oprah, why make the trade-off above in the first place?

Because without doing it, they never get where they are today.

TRF friends, this line from the Oprah interview is absolutely a huge revelation. Despite many denying it could possibly be the case when others said it was, the couple has, in fact, been planning to sit down with Oprah since the wedding. They invited her there with the intention of sitting down with her. And they knew if that happened, they would be out... and invited her anyway, and took the "exchange" anyway. There was never any good-faith intention to have this work. "Let's call this what it is," and it's becoming clear with every line that Oprah drips from this interview.

Closed Thread