The Duke and Duchess of Sussex with Oprah I - Pre-interview, Feb-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
. You know, I still have to have some pretty frank conversations with her to say what you are letting yourself in for it’s a big deal. It’s not easy for anybody. But I know at the end of the day, she chooses me and I choose her, and therefore whatever we have to tackle together or individually, it will always be us together as a team.

I wonder if he ever had those "pretty frank conversations" with her that he still needed to have at that point.

[...]

I find it hard to believe that she didn't know what she was letting herself in for, even if Harry didn't spell it out, but it's possible. If so, that wasn't very fair either on the Royal Family or on her.

Last edited by a moderator:
This video is making the rounds. SMH. It’s a shame royal correspondents would do this. It just proves some of what the Sussexes were saying.

Good grief, that's appalling and so unprofessional. :ohmy:

Meanwhile, social and news media are stacked with articles about the interview, about Oprah, about the Sussexes and about the Royal Family. I hope the interview counteracts some enduring falsehoods, clarifies some misunderstandings and sets the record straight on objective facts but I still don't think that will be enough to outweigh the potential repercussions. It feels like Diana's interview when it sounded like it was a good opportunity for her to drop some truth bombs but the impact was as damaging to herself as it was to others.

I certainly wouldn't equate a man who disgraced the Crown by being accused of sexual relations with minors and was acknowledged as a great friend of a pedophile, with a happily married couple who have never directly attacked any member of the BRF but, due to media persecution, simply could not stand staying in the system any longer.

I think it's deeply objectionable to link what the Sussexes have done to what is alleged about Andrew, both in his private life and during his time as trade envoy. I didn't realise that living in the US was a crime against Queen and country, nor is being independently wealthy and not relying on Charles's bounty.
Is there any proof A, had sex with minorS? And I think being a friend to someone involved in criminal actions does not make him a criminal as well. I´m not a fan of Prince Andrew, but I also think he did a good job as a trade envoy, which was very much supported by the brit. government!

And no, living in the US is not a "crime" for "Mr and Mrs so and so" from Liverpool or Manchester. But for a once highly profiled royal couple, the son of the heir apparent and the late Princess of Wales, who was born and destined to support the Crown, later Harry´s father and his elder brother, they both let, not only his family, but millions of people down and have acted in such a disappointing way I have no words for!
But no, he could not have enough! He was not satisfied by being permitted to marry a totally unsuitable woman (low profiled "actress", divorced) he, only 30 or 40 years ago, wouldn´t have been able to marry, Prince Harry keeps on moaning about his dreadful, though highly priviliged life back in Britain, although he was highly respected and loved, to make up this disgraceful soap opera in the States.
Yes, they both had problems (many of it self created) after it all began so bright and virtually everybody received them with open arms wherever they went! But throwing all away, both priviliges as well as the duties that come along with it, Harry´s illustrious background and the heritage he was born into, and giving his royal grandmother such a hard time, disappointing her in the last years of her life in such a cruel manner, is simply beyond me!

I am appalled at the regurgitation of year old spite and malice coming from the palace supposedly pre-empting the Oprah interview.

I have now lost ALL respect for the Firm having announced their HR department will be investigating Meghan bullying staff on the strength of these anonymous victims pitiful tales leaked and printed in the media. Hell, The Times even published an accusation from one of these shrinking violets that Meghan was deliberately unkind as part of her master plan to have she and Harry appear forced to leave. Really?

Harry and Meghan have no control over out of context clips released as publicity by Harpo Productions and said nohing until the palace decided to leak like a sieve and then announce they will investigate mean Meghan.
??? The Palace is not "investigating mean Meghan", but if there is evidence if both she and H had been bullied by members of the court.

Chris Ship mentioned about how The View is the UK version of ITV's Loose Women, I would bet to differ. Comparing to The View covering the same topic on the upcoming interview with Oprah, the discussion on Loose Women is very tamed and balanced. Jane Moore was at one point a royal correspondent and reported/covered Diana, Princess of Wales. Loose Women do not discuss politics, but rather focus on light hearted topics or celebrity news.

Here is Chris Ship's tweet and also quoting The View's footage.

Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
If the views expressed on @theview today (the US version of @loosewomen) about the Oprah/Meghan/Harry/bullying thing, is anything to go by - it suggests many Americans might have already made up their minds about which side they are on.
(Clue - it's not the Palace)
8:42 AM · Mar 5, 2021·Twitter Web App​

Victoria Murphy written a piece in the Town & Country magazine on how the stakes for Harry & Meghan's Oprah interview is so high in terms of public opinions.

Why the Stakes for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Oprah Interview Are So High
The monarchy simply cannot afford to lose this battle for public opinion.
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...e-harry-oprah-interview-stakes-high-analysis/

Last edited:
This video is making the rounds. SMH. It’s a shame royal correspondents would do this. It just proves some of what the Sussexes were saying.

That kind of thing is common. I even feel a bit queasy when the BBC make documentaries of a life of elderly national treasures to show on the evening of their death basically having family and friends talking like they have died. I watched it. All pretty innocuous I could say that now...meh.

Is there any proof A, had sex with minorS? And I think being a friend to someone involved in criminal actions does not make him a criminal as well. I´m not a fan of Prince Andrew, but I also think he did a good job as a trade envoy, which was very much supported by the brit. government!

And no, living in the US is not a "crime" for "Mr and Mrs so and so" from Liverpool or Manchester. But for a once highly profiled royal couple, the son of the heir apparent and the late Princess of Wales, who was born and destined to support the Crown, later Harry´s father and his elder brother, they both let, not only his family, but millions of people down and have acted in such a disappointing way I have no words for!
But no, he could not have enough! He was not satisfied by being permitted to marry a totally unsuitable woman (low profiled "actress", divorced) he, only 30 or 40 years ago, wouldn´t have been able to marry, Prince Harry keeps on moaning about his dreadful, though highly priviliged life back in Britain, although he was highly respected and loved, to make up this disgraceful soap opera in the States.
Yes, they both had problems (many of it self created) after it all began so bright and virtually everybody received them with open arms wherever they went! But throwing all away, both priviliges as well as the duties that come along with it, Harry´s illustrious background and the heritage he was born into, and giving his royal grandmother such a hard time, disappointing her in the last years of her life in such a cruel manner, is simply beyond me!

I agree, if we go by that logic, then most of the Hollywood elites including Oprah are also criminals because they were friends with Harvey Weinstein.

He was not satisfied by being permitted to marry a totally unsuitable woman (low profiled "actress", divorced) he, only 30 or 40 years ago, wouldn´t have been able to marry,

What's unsuitable about a divorced actress? The Queen's own sister and three of her children were divorced. The heir to the throne is married to a divorcee. Jobs done by others who have married working royals include photographer, PR, PA, show-jumping and accessories buyer. None of them are royal or aristocrats.

He was not satisfied by being permitted to marry a totally unsuitable woman (low profiled "actress", divorced) he, only 30 or 40 years ago, wouldn´t have been able to marry, Prince Harry keeps on moaning about his dreadful, though highly priviliged life back in Britain, although he was highly respected and loved, to make up this disgraceful soap opera in the States.
I kind of want to joke that the "suitable" women in his life didn't want to marry him, but that would be awful of me :whistling:

And on a serious note. There is nothing wrong with who Meghan is or was at the point of their marriage. Divorced? Sure, like 3 of 4 HMQ's children. Her marriage ended way before she even met Harry. Actress? Yes, so what? It gave her even a few advantages in this case.

I have many issues with that Meghan and Harry did and said over the years. She was either completely unprepared to take on the role of a working member of BRF or had her own, hidden agenda right from the start (as is suggested by Meghan's own words in Oprah's interview). For this to work they would have had to take things slow and let her see how things look and how things work in BRF. But she's not - nor has been at the time of their marriage - unsuitable based on being divorced and an actress.

What's unsuitable about a divorced actress? The Queen's own sister and three of her children were divorced. The heir to the throne is married to a divorcee. Jobs done by others who have married working royals include photographer, PR, PA, show-jumping and accessories buyer. None of them are royal or aristocrats.

She is not unsuitable because she was a divorced actress. She seems to be unsuitable because she did not want to follow the rules of the BRF, and everyone is now questioning why, was it her goal from the start, or did she really not know what she was getting into, divorce has nothing to do with this scandal.

Mr and Mrs Markle just go quietly into the night please and go live your life somewhere in the Rockies! Harry knew what happened to his mother so it was his job to make sure that by the time he married Megan that she was well aware of what life would be like in the Royal Family...what she could do what she couldn't do. Who knows this is what William could have encouraged Harry to do but Harry took offense. I think Megan came into this marriage thinking it would bring her the celebrity status she wanted as an actress and when this didn't happen she decided they should move to USA. I hope everything turns out well for them but I highly doubt it.

She is not unsuitable because she was a divorced actress. She seems to be unsuitable because she did not want to follow the rules of the BRF, and everyone is now questioning why, was it her goal from the start, or did she really not know what she was getting into, divorce has nothing to do with this scandal.

I realise why they were in a rush to get married , age and wanting to be together but I think they should of taken a year off any duties to get used to married life plus living in a new country ......plus the whole Royal business .

So even if she didn’t know what she was getting into , least she would of found her feet .

Now it’s became a big old drama for .

Everyone is going to believe what they wish to believe and see what they wish to see regarding the Sussexes. I try to be open-minded and reflective, and fair. No one is perfect. But Meghan does not deserve the trolling, hate, constant critiques, and online bullying she has received. When a person falls deeply in love, even in their thirties, that is still young, no matter how accomplished and experienced a life Meghan led previously.

And frankly, although Meghan led a public life and she was fairly well-traveled, she was mainly focused on the circumscribed bubble of the acting world, which involved chiefly concentrating on auditions. Her humanitarian pursuits flourished once she became successful on Suits, when she had the time and money to branch out more. In one's 20s and early 30s, it is still a time of learning and growing. Entering the world of royalty was a completely new and different experience for Meghan, as it would be for anyone who didn't travel in aristocratic circles since childhood. Heck, royal life was even a steep learning curve for Diana, who was born into an aristocratic family, yet her early life was fairly sheltered, despite her father once having served as equerry to the Queen.

Furthermore, being in love makes a person see everything in a positive light and they eagerly want their relationship to work and they want to believe the best, despite any inkling of difficulties that might lie ahead with the loved one's family or any unusual circumstances. Meghan was honest in the S.A. interview that she blithely dismissed warnings about the U.K. press from her British friends because she had no deep knowledge or experience of British tabloid media having such an impact and presence in British cultural life, which is very different than tabloid media in the U.S.

Hilarious how the Meghan narrative is quietly but firmly changing among her fans.

First she was the strong woman, humanitarian champion, who could blow away those stuck up Windsors and in general those Brits who apparently had to learn one thing or two about diversity from the Americans and their stellar legacy on this topic. Of course the critics, not about her background mind you but her possible difficulties to adjust from a very free spirited world to a way more restrained one ( because, hey, we know what we are talking about on this forum) were labeled as racists , anti-americans, anti-feminisms and so on. From day one, it was clear that it was less about Meghan but more about giving to the British Royal Family a run for its money and a cultural awakening millenial style.

But, again, because there's some kind of knowledge on this forum, there were warnings about the difficulties to change the Institution and , if so, the changes needed to be subtle and above all needed time. It was also noted that the Sussexes were not in a dynastical position to bring those changes and that every not so subtle attempts from them would be seen as arrogance or patronizing and will backfire badly, especially in the uber conservative tabloïd press. Again we saw on this forum the same outcries, the same accusations.

Now that the predictable has happened, aka a major cultural rift between the Sussexes and their home country, the strong and poised woman has morfed into a clueless girl in love who had no idea how difficult it would be to be a princess of GB, despite the fact that she precisely married the son of the most tragic of them all and that the entire world warned her about the Tabloïd press and their sickening methods.

Who can believe that, really ...

My two cents is that the Sussexes thought they were waaay more clever than everyone else and that they could do whatever they bloody wanted without consequences and with that single-handely change the Monarchy as an institution. Not less.

Now that all the plan has backfired badly, they are stuck in a how-so-2021 victims narrative , a strange mix between Diana's years and Cancel culture, in a desperate attempt to save their images as a money maker.

To me they are acting like headless chickens, and, as i predicted some years ago to the furors of you-know-who-you-are, it will not end well.

Last edited:
I am so over these two! 'Just shut up and do the good that you have pledged to do. Don't keep telling me how compromised you feel as you are living in a multi-million home in Montecito. Really?

Whatever one thinks of Meghan Markle, there's no getting away from the fact that what she says so far in this interview demonstrates a naivety that is little short of breath-taking. That a worldly woman in her mid 30s - even an American actress - would think that she would be able to talk to Oprah Winfrey after marrying Prince Harry beggars belief.

The English author Angela Levin interviewed Prince Harry during the period of his engagement for a biography she was writing and Harry told her he had been at pains to fully explain to Meghan what was entailed in royal life so she would be aware of what she was taking on. What happened here then???

I can not longer express my sadness, anger and in general frustration over this whole situation. I do not see Meghan as unsuitable - in short the only requirement for the job is that you have married the right person. So really there is no formal requirements.
I know for a fact that Meghan was prepared more for this role then any other woman who married in the family. She was also given preferable treatment as Harry as the Queen specifically for it - to make her for welcome. And yet here we are. There is no doubt in my mind that their were problem and issues on both side. There is ill feeling on both sides - and obviously they did not come to a good parting.
It is never a good idea to make broad unspecific allegations on television. Unless Meghan has proof and details - she has made a huge mistake. A number of actors, producers and studios will never touch her now. She has made a stink and appears to love the drama so good luck to her.

Whatever one thinks of Meghan Markle, there's no getting away from the fact that what she says so far in this interview demonstrates a naivety that is little short of breath-taking. That a worldly woman in her mid 30s - even an American actress - would think that she would be able to talk to Oprah Winfrey after marrying Prince Harry beggars belief.

The English author Angela Levin interviewed Prince Harry during the period of his engagement for a biography she was writing and Harry told her he had been at pains to fully explain to Meghan what was entailed in royal life so she would be aware of what she was taking on. What happened here then???

Perhaps Harry doesn't really know the limits of his position either?

That's even more incredible in my opinion!

Are you sure? Because I DO think that Harry's very naive and foolish. I suspect he really did think he could do what he wanted.. and that he saw other royals working and htought he could do the same...like "Peter Phillips has his own business, so Meg and i can do it as well"... or "Edward had his film company..."

Personally I think it is more a case of lets find things to complain about.

I am mind boggled. Lets not forget what Edward did - while Sophie and him were dating, Edward and Sophie went to Diana, Sarah, Mark Philip and Princess Margaret every single relative that would talk to him and asked for first hand experiences. Everything from how to handle the press, the critics and the institution were discussed. Edward is a minor royal and at this time was not a full time royal but he saw the need for Sophie to know this - to know what she was getting into.

The duplicity of Meghan and Harry's actions and words over the last three years, let alone the last 3 month concerns me. I think Harry was very much under the impression that he could convince the Queen to give him what he wanted - it has worked in the past - why not now. And then he hit a wall, the Queen was suddenly saying no - obviously it was the grey man advising against them. And now they are angry. I think it is the first time that someone said no to him.

Last edited:
I can not longer express my sadness, anger and in general frustration over this whole situation. I do not see Meghan as unsuitable - in short the only requirement for the job is that you have married the right person. So really there is no formal requirements.
I know for a fact that Meghan was prepared more for this role then any other woman who married in the family. She was also given preferable treatment as Harry as the Queen specifically for it - to make her for welcome. And yet here we are. There is no doubt in my mind that their were problem and issues on both side. There is ill feeling on both sides - and obviously they did not come to a good parting.
It is never a good idea to make broad unspecific allegations on television. Unless Meghan has proof and details - she has made a huge mistake. A number of actors, producers and studios will never touch her now. She has made a stink and appears to love the drama so good luck to her.

As I see it, Meghan’s problem was that she did not understand that being a working royal in any European royal family ( I am not talking only about the UK here) is akin to holding a public office and that public offices come naturally with a set of restrictions ( that also apply for example, in different degrees, to ministers, diplomats, military officers, judges, civil setvants , etc.).

In other words, she saw the RF from a social class or celebrity point of view, which BTW is what most Americans do too, and completely ignored the Family’s institutional role. I mean, either that was the case, or we are forced to believe the worst case assumption that she never really wanted to stay in the Family and had been planning all along to use her marriage to jumpstart new career plans and celebrity status back in the US.

Last edited:
They've made it clear that they don't want to return as working members of the Royal Family. That's their choice, and I doubt that anyone wants them back anyway. But Harry seemed to want to retain his personal bonds with his family, and the Queen's said that she wants that too. If Meghan makes a personal attack on Kate, which it looks as if she's going to do, and possibly on Camilla too, live on TV, how can that continue? Are William and Kate supposed to sit down for Christmas dinner with Harry and Meghan, or stand next to them on the Buckingham Palace balcony, after that?

You can get a new job, a new house, and even new friends, but you can't replace a brother.

I don't know what's going on in Harry's head. What is he thinking?

T that continue? Are William and Kate supposed to sit down for Christmas dinner with Harry and Meghan, or stand next to them on the Buckingham Palace balcony, after that?

You can get a new job, a new house, and even new friends, but you can't replace a brother.

I don't know what's going on in Harry's head. What is he thinking?

The RF can put on a face.. and face down people going "How come X is sitll accepted even after he did Y".. William did look annoyed with H last year, but that's rare..and back a year ago, Meghan was smiling away gamely during that event.. so clealry then she was able to put ona party face too....

Last edited:
oh - how I wish I could do the follow up interview ?

The RF can put on a face.. and face down people going "How come X is sitll accepted even after he did Y".. William did look annoyed with H last year, but that's rare..and back a year ago, Meghan was smiling away gamely during that event.. so clealry then she was able to put ona party face too....

I also think well families are complicated and a mine of shared experience that is hard for even members 5o consciously understand. That they won't be always another drink away from descending into a shouting match I doubt. But then forgiveness is needed and time heals and they both have children and as the children grow and really know nothing much about the uncle time will move on.

All families tend to become smaller units once the matriarch and patriarch are gone and then the next generation take on that role for the ones under them. The death of the Queen will see a lot change in the royal families relationships with one another.

I'm really not sure how much we will see of Harry in the future once Oprah has quieted down and that initial rush for them is over.

I'm not even sure about those big family events. They happen rarely anyway.

I'm really not sure how much we will see of Harry in the future once Oprah has quieted down and that initial rush for them is over.

As Harry is Diana's son he will always be a high-profile person of interest for the media. Moreover, there is nothing better than a protracted feud with The Firm for certain individuals and organizations on all sides of such feud to line their pockets big time, eagerly cashing in on the proceeds of such social warfare. So this interview with Oprah is just the beginning.

As Harry is Diana's son he will always be a high-profile person of interest for the media. Moreover, there is nothing better than a protracted feud with The Firm for certain individuals and organizations on all sides of such feud to line their pockets big time, eagerly cashing in on the proceeds of such social warfare. So this interview with Oprah is just the beginning.

I don't think so. And Diana. There are full grown adults who have only ever heard of her...and via The Crown.

Diana isn't supernatural. And it wont keep him famous.

IMO ... they are fast becoming a public Nuisance....

I don't think so. And Diana. There are full grown adults who have only ever heard of her...and via The Crown.

Diana isn't supernatural. And it wont keep him famous.

Meghan has built a solid social network for herself in the political world and the Hollywood / entertainment / celebrity circuit in the US. I think she will remain relatively visible in the media for quite some time although, to be fair, she will be just one additional celebrity activist in a country that has zillions of them. In other words, she is not "special" or "singular" in the US as she was in the UK, where there is only one Royal Family.

The biggest threat now to Meghan, as I see it , is the bullying investigation in the Royal Household. Even though the investigation is not targeting Meghan at this point, but rather the Palace's inaction / cover-up in face of the complaints, it does have the potential to derail her brand in the US.

Last edited:
Even if anything is proven - Meghan will always have the the palace was spreading gossip mantra to fall back on. She has provided herself with a lifetime excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom