The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 10:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
That's pretty much been the reaction here as well.

They got a very negative response to their Africa interview for that reason, so it's quite surprising that they haven't changed tack.

I fully appreciate that the timing wasn't deliberate and that the interview was filmed before Prince Philip's illness, but the fact that this is going on whilst Harry's 99-year-old grandfather is ill in hospital doesn't exactly look great, either.
They can't help Philip as most of this happened before his illness. But to be fair literally his entire family are carrying on with their lives, so fair enough for the Sussexes to as well.

As for the reaction to the Africa documentary -- I agree that in the UK there was a sense it was not received well but outside I have to say I saw overwhelming sympathy for her. Talk shows here were very much in support. #WeLoveYouMeghan trended for hours with high profile people including the current Vice President tweeting support to her.

So we really have no idea how this interview will land with people. Time will tell with that but I suspect those who dislike them will continue and those who support them will as well. It is those in between that they will have to reach.

It is 2 hours. All we have seen are two 30 second clips.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
They're definitely going to say negative things about the royal family. Now all that is left is how the Queen and Prince Charles will respond.
it is inevitable that they will show some negativity towards the RF and/or palace officials - at least to say that they weren't supported. whatever they do, i hope for their own good that they do it in a classy, dignified way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Honestly I am a little surprised by Meghan's choice of eye makeup and clothing color. IMHO it's a little too close to Diana's heavier black eyeliner and her clothing color. Typically I've noticed that Meghan doesn't go for very heavy eyeliner.
indeed, very heavy make up chosen by meghan. her face looks very full also. not sure what it can be but not sure it is just the make up?! in any case, i seem to prefer her with a more natural make up choice.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
it is inevitable that they will show some negativity towards the RF and/or palace officials - at least to say that they weren't supported. whatever they do, i hope for their own good that they do it in a classy, dignified way.

indeed, very heavy make up chosen by meghan. her face looks very full also. not sure what it can be but not sure it is just the make up?! in any case, i seem to prefer her with a more natural make up choice.
She's pregnant, so I suppose that's why her face is full....
Old 03-01-2021, 11:22 AM
Gentry

My questions have always been and remains this: if the media, palace officials and POSSIBLY some family members have done nothing wrong why are people acting like they are worried about what might be said in the interview? Why does the RF accept/tolerate being the punching bag of the media? Why is it the women who marry in are attacked (Catherine,Sophie,Meghan, etc) and not the men?
Old 03-01-2021, 11:30 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claricecolin View Post
Why is it the women who marry in are attacked (Catherine,Sophie,Meghan, etc) and not the men?
1) Women are easier targets and usually generate more interest.
2) The men have never been expected to subsume themselves to the institution the way the women have, see Snowdon and Tim Laurence still having careers, with the exception of Philip, and that was back in the age of deference and yet still generated divorce rumors.

Basically, double standards.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
My questions have always been and remains this: if the media, palace officials and POSSIBLY some family members have done nothing wrong why are people acting like they are worried about what might be said in the interview? Why does the RF accept/tolerate being the punching bag of the media? Why is it the women who marry in are attacked (Catherine,Sophie,Meghan, etc) and not the men?
Respectfully, I think you are trying to box into black-and-white terms what is not at all black and white. "Done nothing wrong" in whose eyes? You can act entirely properly in your own eyes, and in theory even in objective terms, and other people can still think you acted wrongly and criticize your actions- fairly or unfairly.

Edit: We are going off topic.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well no one is perfect. I am sure things have been said and done on all sides that wasn't the best. That doesn't mean one expects dirty laundry to be shared and one would hope it stays between them. Not that I claim to know what happened or could be said. Just saying in general as people, that is what we expect.

As for why women are mostly attacked? It is just how sexist the world is. Nothing has changed nor will change anytime soon. Strong woman intimate people.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:38 AM
Majesty

Quote:

Philip was attacked when he married Elizabeth, not only by the press, but, more significantly, by the British establishment. And so was Prince Albert, Queen Victoria's consort.

I guess other men who marry into the RF are not equally attacked mostly because, unlike the women who marry into the Family, they don't have an official public role, i.e. they are not "working royals" so to speak and have kept their own private careers. In the patrilineal concept of family, which is still the norm in the UK considering British naming conventions for children, men don't actually marry into their wives' families; instead, it is the other way around. The only exceptions really are the husbands of the Queen regnant or of the Crown Princess.

I admit, however, that there is also an element of sexism in play. Women are easier targets generally.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:39 AM
Commoner

Quote:
As people have said above, I’m sure things have been said on both sides that they’re not proud of. And they would want that to stay private.

And because it’s sexism. Plain and simple. While some of the men did face a hard time amongst the family at the very minimum, the men in general certainly get an easier ride.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:48 AM
Serene Highness

Apparently ITV has brought the Oprah interview for £1million in which it will be broadcast on the ITV1 8pm at Monday 8th March. This comes ITV have beaten Sky after talks with ViacomCBS. The BBC of course had decline to broadcast it. ITV's website has not released a blurb/introduction yet. Disclaimer: Please ignore the sensational headlines and slant reporting.

Fury at ITV for 'paying £1MILLION' to air 'grossly insensitive' Oprah interview with Harry and Meghan while Prince Philip, 99, battles heart condition in hospital - with tell-all chat due for broadcast at 8pm on Monday
  • Prince Harry and his pregnant wife Meghan Markle joined Oprah for CBS interview airing on CBS on March 7
  • Royals are warned to 'hide behind the sofa' when it is broadcast at 8pm US time, and around 1am UK time
  • ITV1 will show Oprah with Meghan and Harry: A Primetime Special at 8pm UK time on Monday March 8
  • Show extended from 90 minutes to 2 hours - allowing broadcasters to rake in £140,000 per 30 second ad
  • Harry says that he took family to LA because of his mother's ordeal and feared 'history repeating itself'
  • Meghan does not speak in the 30-second trailer but Oprah hints that ex-actress uses the word 'unsurvivable'
  • Billionaire interviewer also confirms no topic was 'off limits' and asked Meghan if she was 'silenced' by palace
  • Sussexes not believed to be being paid for Oprah show, but is part of building a $1bn US brand, experts say

Quote:
ITV has today been branded 'deplorable' after it bought up the Duke and Duchess and Sussex's 'grossly insensitive' two-hour interview with Oprah Winfrey for £1million despite warnings its broadcast could detonate a 'diplomatic bomb' if the Duke of Edinburgh's health deteriorates, it was revealed today.

Oprah with Meghan and Harry: A Primetime Special will be shown in the UK at 8pm on Monday, March 8, around 24 hours after it is first shown in the US on Sunday night.

The deal is said to have cost ITV around £1million, having beaten Sky to the rights after talks with ViacomCBS were completed yesterday. It was a largely open field in the UK after the BBC declined to broadcast it.

The sit-down, which Oprah promises will be 'shocking', has been extended by half an hour, from 90 minutes to two hours, to allow CBS to rake in more money from advertising - a 30-second slot is reported to be costing $200,000, around £144,000.

ITV will also set to try to cash in on the deal by charging advertisers similar amounts, giving them up to 24 minutes of advertising time during the two-hour programme. But some experts have questioned whether businesses will now want to be advertise during the toxic show shown as Philip battles ill-health in hospital.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...an-Monday.html
Old 03-02-2021, 06:56 AM
Serene Highness

As I've said before, it's the way the world's always been. Henrietta Maria was blamed for the Civil War. Marie Antoinette was blamed for the French Revolution. Alexandra Feodorovna was blamed for the Russian Revolution. None of those women actually held any power, but they were blamed for what their husbands did or didn't do. Boris Johnson's fiancée's the latest one to come in for criticism in the press, being accused of trying to influence government inappropriately. The same used to be said about Tony Blair's wife, but it was certainly never said about Theresa May's husband or Margaret Thatcher's husband.

CBS have said that they won't delay the broadcast because of Prince Philip's illness, so someone must have asked them about it.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:07 AM
Royal Highness

Articles about the significance of what Meghan chose to wear for the Oprah interview (Diana's jewelry). Plus, the lotus flower on the dress symbolizes rebirth and resilience:

https://people.com/royals/meghan-mar...-prince-harry/

https://thevalleynewspaper.com/megha...bolic-meaning/

Below article discusses calls to delay the interview. Actually, M&H have no control over the broadcast plans of CBS at this point, and I doubt the network will pull the interview since scheduling is set and they anticipate high viewership:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...?ocid=msedgntp

FWIW: Meghan has previously used the word 'unsurvivable,' to describe the negative press and online trolling she has been subjected to. She used this descriptor last summer during an appearance she and Harry made on the Teenager Therapy podcast, founded and hosted by L.A. high school students. So her use of the word is not new. Oprah surely heard Meghan use it for the first time on that podcast last summer.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post

FWIW: Meghan has previously used the word 'unsurvivable,' to describe the negative press and online trolling she has been subjected to. She used this descriptor last summer during an appearance she and Harry made on the Teenager Therapy podcast, founded and hosted by L.A. high school students. So her use of the word is not new. Oprah surely heard Meghan use it for the first time on that podcast last summer.
I almost wonder if Oprah is actually referring to the podcast. We shall see.

Not surprised ITV won out on the Oprah interview. £1million? Wow.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I almost wonder if Oprah is actually referring to the podcast. We shall see.

Not surprised ITV won out on the Oprah interview. £1million? Wow.

Actually I would have expected Sky to outbid ITV.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Remarks from BP regarding the Sussexes' upcoming interview.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...ferred-second/

Quote:
"The Royal Family has "more important things to worry about" than the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s Oprah Winfrey interview, Buckingham Palace aides said on Monday night, as the Duke of Edinburgh was transferred to a leading cardiac hospital.

Prince Philip, 99, was taken by ambulance from the private King Edward VII’s Hospital to St Bartholomew’s Hospital in central London just hours after a dramatic clip of the Sussexes’ “shocking” comments was released by a US television network.

The timing of the couple’s interview was described as “unfortunate” amid speculation about whether it might have to be pulled.

Palace aides suggested that the family’s focus was solely on the Duke, who had already spent 13 nights in hospital and is expected to remain there until at least the end of the week.

One said: “The family is very worried about him and their thoughts are very much with him rather than this Oprah interview. They have much more important things to worry about.”

Another senior aide said: “This programme is really not something we are focusing on at the moment.”
Old 03-02-2021, 12:09 PM
Courtier

The little teaser from the Oprah interview make it sound like she married into the Corleone Family, not the RF, either be silent or be silenced? which one take your pick. Both of them have lost the sense of Reality, they need to step into the present and leave the passed , in the passed. Wearing Pss Diana's Bracelet does not make her Diana by a long shot. Diana's shoes she will never be able to fill. For Harry get unstuck from the passed, get some serious help please. Before he reaches the point of no return.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:22 PM
Majesty

I don't understand what is the point of Prince Harry and Meghan giving this interview now.
I understand that BRF has more important issues to focus on, and the focus should be on Prince Philip who is hospitalized.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I don't understand what is the point of Prince Harry and Meghan giving this interview now.
I understand that BRF has more important issues to focus on, and the focus should be on Prince Philip who is hospitalized.
The interview was planned and even recorded, I think, before Prince Philip was hospitalized.

But damn, that BP aides did not hold back. While I recognize that Harry and Meghan couldn't predict the situation, nor can probably stop the interview now, it puts them in worse-than-usual light. Depending on the contents of the interview, it can still get so much more worse.

Hopefully by the time it airs, Prince Philip will be home, out of the hospital, and in much better health.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
The interview was planned and even recorded, I think, before Prince Philip was hospitalized.

But damn, that BP aides did not hold back. While I recognize that Harry and Meghan couldn't predict the situation, nor can probably stop the interview now, it puts them in worse-than-usual light. Depending on the contents of the interview, it can still get so much more worse.

Hopefully by the time it airs, Prince Philip will be home, out of the hospital, and in much better health.
Yep, that was a pretty sharp remark!

Anyway, the BRF don't have to be that concerned IMO. Unless Harry decides to announce that there are indeed reptiles in his immediate family, whatever they have to say will hardly be more than a sad irritant for the BRF. I can't imagine it will be a serious threat to the BRF.

Any harm as a result of this interview - and the timing - is going to affect H&M more than anyone else.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:48 PM
Aristocracy

Yes if H & M whine - at all - about the hard life they lead while the Duke is in hospital, it will not be a good look for them. Kind of looking forward to what they have to say.

Closed Thread