The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 05:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
Can't wait for the juicey gossip, they will have been paid handsomely for this so Oprah will want her pound of flesh.

You might want to reword this; a ‘pound of flesh’ is an inaccurate and unpleasant phrase to apply to this situation.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-15-2021, 06:09 PM
Nobility

Didn't Sarah also do one in the past? And watching its clip on youtube, I think that interview in a way can be labelled as "telling about her life in the Royal Family" too.

So basically, the Sussexes are more or less true to their word: just like what they stated on their last January announcement, they're just doing what other royals (or former one) has done in the past.

Old 02-15-2021, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Sarah, Duchess of York was interviewed by Oprah Winfrey in 1996 on Oprah's television show.

Old 02-15-2021, 06:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
Didn't Sarah also do one in the past? And watching its clip on youtube, I think that interview in a way can be labelled as "telling about her life in the Royal Family" too.

So basically, the Sussexes are more or less true to their word: just like what they stated on their last January announcement, they're just doing what other royals (or former one) has done in the past.
Sarah Ferguson did an interview with Australia's 60 minutes in 2013 called "Seeing Red". It was apparently her first Australian interview in eight years. I watched this video several years ago. The only thing that I vividly remembered was that she was proud of Beatrice and Eugenie. Sarah also spoke positively about The Queen

Old 02-15-2021, 06:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post

You might want to reword this; a ‘pound of flesh’ is an inaccurate and unpleasant phrase to apply to this situation.
No I don't want to reword it. Oprah Winfrey will have paid them a great deal of money for this interview and she will want a big scoop in return which is only fair and I am sure that H and M will understand that. Is it tacky? Very much so but this is the World they have chosen to inhabit, I hope it makes them happy.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
No I don't want to reword it. Oprah Winfrey will have paid them a great deal of money for this interview and she will want a big scoop in return which is only fair and I am sure that H and M will understand that. Is it tacky? Very much so but this is the World they have chosen to inhabit, I hope it makes them happy.
I dont think she'll want a scoop, she's not a journalist. but the 3 of them have an interest in garnering publicity - one hand washes the other....
Old 02-15-2021, 06:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
One thing to remember too is that is is being broadcast during prime time on CBS and most likely the network will have vetted the content beforehand. Both Oprah and Harry and Meghan will be vetted for the content they're going to air to assure that it fits in with what CBS deems as acceptable prime time TV viewing for all audiences.

Thinking along these lines, I think those that will tune into this interview hoping for "tell all" and scandalous breaking news are going to be sorely disappointed. Perhaps if the interview would have aired on Oprah's OWN channel, it would be completely different and Oprah would have more leeway but it isn't. It's CBS floating the bill for this interview and paying both Oprah and Harry and Meghan.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I feel the same.
At one point I was neutral about this couple, but now I just find them hypocritical and increasingly irritating.

(Of course I expect people will watch to see if they say anything negative about the RF).
I used to love them. I still want to love Harry, but...sometimes it’s hard. If they want to do this, ok - I’m not upset (I’m too busy being engaged with what’s going on in my own country)....YET. Hopefully they just leave the BRF out of it.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Roya Nikkhah and Rebecca English has tweeted out some royal sources suggesting that since Harry & Meghan are no longer working royals, they are not obliged to inform the Royal Family or Palace staffs.
Roya Nikkhah @RoyaNikkhah
Buckingham Palace won’t officially comment on Harry and Meghan’s @Oprah interview but royal sources say as they’re no longer working members of the royal family, any decisions they take regarding media commitments are for them, with no obligations to inform the royal household
5:19 AM · Feb 16, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/RoyaNikkhah/stat...79599310012422

To which Dickie Arbiter replied:
Dickie Arbiter 🇬🇧 @RoyalDickie
Replying to @RoyaNikkhah and @Oprah
Pretty obvious that response from BP. They did make very clear last year once #HarryandMeghan had opted out they, the Palace, would no longer speak on their behalf - so staying stum about the forthcoming @Oprah interview shouldn't cone as a surprise
5:29 AM · Feb 16, 2021·Twitter for Android
https://twitter.com/RoyalDickie/stat...82093394235396

Tweet by Rebecca English (with similar content as Roya Nikkha): https://twitter.com/RE_DailyMail/sta...79030000427011

Here is Chris Ship and ITV's take on the Oprah interview, hence written in first person

Exclusive: Harry and Meghan agree to Oprah Winfrey interview which could lift lid on departure from Royal Family
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-02-15/...m-royal-family

Dickie Arbiter's take on the Oprah interview:
Dickie Arbiter 🇬🇧 @RoyalDickie
So #HarryandMeghan are to give a tell all interview with @Oprah on prime time TV. Tell all? I doubt it. They're likely to talk about what they want to achieve with their @ArchwellF, settling in the US and raising a family, and perhaps about their work and contacts in the UK
7:02 AM · Feb 16, 2021·Twitter for Android
https://twitter.com/RoyalDickie/stat...05649624719366

Camilla Tominey, however appear to be less optimistic on the implication of Oprah's interview judging by the headline of The Telegraph article.

If he follows his wife's pursuit of Stateside glory, Prince Harry risks losing his way
Having always had an eye on the prize of American adulation, Meghan appears to have little intention of returning to the UK
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...e_Aws1Ct6NWFQC

She has also tweeted out and attached this article
Camilla Tominey @CamillaTominey
Why this ill-advised #Oprah outing is the #Meghan show, with a side order of #Harry #royals
7:17 AM · Feb 16, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/CamillaTominey/s...09273708822531

Edited: I have added the link to The Telegraph article and Camilla Tominey's tweet
I agree with Camilla. Harry will probably be ok, but yeah - now I think that Meghan will very likely whine about his badly she was treated. Bah. As to her speaking about her time in the BRF, she split about as soon as it was possible...but I’m sure she’ll be counting on her American fans for sympathy.

Oh and this? 🤢🤢🤢🤢

Quote:
With the tree of life behind them and the garden representing fertility, life and moving forward, they didn’t need any direction, because they are, and always have been, waltzing through life together as absolute soulmates," said photographer Misan Harriman on Monday in a press release that left most people this side of the Atlantic reaching for the nearest sick bucket.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing to remember too is that is is being broadcast during prime time on CBS and most likely the network will have vetted the content beforehand. Both Oprah and Harry and Meghan will be vetted for the content they're going to air to assure that it fits in with what CBS deems as acceptable prime time TV viewing for all audiences. :
Those days are long gone. CBS wants ratings. They couldn't care less what Oprah, Harry, or Meghan say, as long as it generates attention and viewers.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I used to love them. I still want to love Harry, but...sometimes it’s hard. If they want to do this, ok - I’m not upset (I’m too busy being engaged with what’s going on in my own country)....YET. Hopefully they just leave the BRF out of it.
Same with me, I used to love them and of course I am happy that after a miscarriage they are having another child.
I respected them when they said they wanted privacy, but I suppose I have another notion of what "privacy" means.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:24 PM
Serene Highness

When will this couple understand that the only thing that truly makes them interesting, the only things that people would want to hear from them are the things that they could never not talk about (i.e. their life as royals, their royal relatives) without sounding and appearing so..un-classy.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:31 AM
Royal Highness

Expected - completely. It is a PR move. Meghan and Harry's image and reputation has taken a major hit and she needs to make amends and fast if Archewell is too work. Answer Oprah and James Corden - they appeal to a large market and might allow them to win back some favor.
It is basically going to be more of the South African interview - just less whinny. Lots of attacks on the media especially social media, probably black life matter and Meghan's will have a cry on the couch. I mean they have had a lot of time to perfect the script and practice. They also appear to have hired every sort of professional under the sun to assist them.
Will it work - Personally I think that the PR needed by M& H is quiet commitment to anything. Overexposured and too in people noses is what is happening here. They should lay low. But I don't think their business ambitions would allow for that.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:44 AM
Courtier

Well this is one way to keep ones face in front of the camera. I think Oprah has lost her shine if one wants to call it that, long time ago. Each of them have the great need to be seen. Maybe both believe this is the golden ticket.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Expected - completely. It is a PR move. Meghan and Harry's image and reputation has taken a major hit and she needs to make amends and fast if Archewell is too work. Answer Oprah and James Corden - they appeal to a large market and might allow them to win back some favor.
It is basically going to be more of the South African interview - just less whinny. Lots of attacks on the media especially social media, probably black life matter and Meghan's will have a cry on the couch. I mean they have had a lot of time to perfect the script and practice. They also appear to have hired every sort of professional under the sun to assist them.
Will it work - Personally I think that the PR needed by M& H is quiet commitment to anything. Overexposured and too in people noses is what is happening here. They should lay low. But I don't think their business ambitions would allow for that.

Or could it be they plan to you know talk about their work

I know I mean Meghan is a joke. I mean who had ever heard of Meghan before Harry. She was camera why as she had never given a speech, or been infront of a camera,or done any charity work. Now all she can do is sob on camera after months of practice.

Oh wait we are talking the Meghan who had a decade long acting career. Been giving speeches for major international charities. And doing press talks for years before she met Harry. That Meghan right??

Meghan and Harry never claimed they wanted to disappear into a cave. They said they wanted to be Private citizens.

They wanted to be free of royal duty to pursue Private business. This doesn't mean hiding in a dark cave and not appearing. It means pursuing business and financial gain that is not related to their royal titles.

They also made it evidently clear from day one they planned to continue with their charity work. How does one think they plan to help charities, without being public????

They are doing what anyone with a lick of common sense does when they are launching a new business or charity. They are Promoting it. They are going to go on television and:

-tell people about their new charity
-how their former roles as royals have influenced the choices they have made
-the direction

Choosing Oprah is Common sense. Anyone with two pennies to rub together in the media world knows you choose a reporter you TRUST. Unfortunately they have found there are very few out there. So they go with Oprah, who they know will not try and make it about 'lets dish the dirt on royals' or try to sling mud at the couple, but actually focus on what they came there to talk about.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Maybe we should get over seeing them as 'royals' with what we expect royals to do, but instead see them as celebrities who want to use their influence and name to make a difference in the world.

My feeling is we more and more will see their endeavours in that direction and that be their "selling point" and not just as being "royals".

Imo the Oprah interview will be much more about what the future holds for them, and not just keep looking back at what has been, but what they have decided to leave behind

just my 2 cts
Old 02-16-2021, 04:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Maybe we should get over seeing them as 'royals' with what we expect royals to do, but instead see them as celebrities who want to use their influence and name to make a difference in the world.

My feeling is we more and more will see their endeavours in that direction and that be their "selling point" and not just as being "royals".

Imo the Oprah interview will be much more about what the future holds for them, and not just keep looking back at what has been, but what they have decided to leave behind

just my 2 cts
That is a very fair point, they are going down the celebrity route, it is easy to forget as Harry is and always will be royal, especially in the UK. I just wish as a British tax payer they had made these decisions before the wedding that costs millions in security costs. Actually I loved every minute of that day.

This whole thing could be a damp squib. The talk of it is generating headlines and social media chatter so they do not actually have to say anything else.

I find the timing of it all very interesting.

I personally do not think Harry will hurt is family in public, but what could be interesting is that decisions are due to be announced with regards the various roles that they both still hold through the royal family. These decisions are not made on a whim they are probably already in place, but depending on what they do say it could look like they are being punished if or when they are removed.

Having said that if they had done the interview after the decisions were announced it could like they were being bitter.
The bottom line is we will know when we know.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:39 AM
Serene Highness

They claim that they want their privacy, and then they do an interview with one of the most high profile talk show hosts in the world.

It would be nice to think that they were just going to talk about charity work, and maybe a few sweet little family snippets like what sort of toys Archie likes playing with and what TV programmes he likes watching, but we'll see.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:51 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
They claim that they want their privacy, and then they do an interview with one of the most high profile talk show hosts in the world.

It would be nice to think that they were just going to talk about charity work, and maybe a few sweet little family snippets like what sort of toys Archie likes playing with and what TV programmes he likes watching, but we'll see.
that's probably all tehy will do...
Old 02-16-2021, 05:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I find the timing of it all very interesting.
Is Commonwealth Day Service still on? The second monday will be 8 March, right?
Maybe they'll talk about it too, they're still the President and VP of QCT after all.

Closed Thread