The Duke and Duchess of Sussex with Oprah I - Pre-interview, Feb-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry that the interview with Oprah was recorded some time ago. Meghan and Harry probably "held their fire" and are now regretting it. I think that what is coming out now in the form of attacks on them only proves that they were right in leaving royal life.

Here is one view of an American Newspaper, the New York Post, on the Oprah interview: https://nypost.com/2021/03/04/meghan-and-harry-should-quit-whining-instead-of-complaining-to-oprah/

Ouch :lol: But that drinking game sounds quite fun, tbh!

It is one of the most brutal and scathing critique of the Sussexes that I have come across with. And I meant opinion columns of newspaper, political magazine and tabloids.

I was about to post an opinion column on The Telegraph by Dominic Green (Deputy Editor of Spectator USA), where he talked about the risk of Oprah's interview on UK's international image. The New York Post's article makes this Telegraph opinion column look tame, even though Dominic Green put out some controversial views.

Oprah interview will confirm America's suspicion that Britain is a land of vile snobs
Monday’s Meghan and Harry proceedings risk trashing the UK's international image
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1614876350

The Telegraph @Telegraph
"Meghan and Harry's Oprah interview risk trashing the UK's international image," writes @DrDominicGreen
11:58 AM · Mar 5, 2021·Echobox​

Dominic Green @DrDominicGreen
'When Queen Oprah passes sentence on the Royal Family, the evidence will be given by Meghan, Duchess of Malibu and her turncoat prince. The charge is Old World snobbery with aggravated racism': On #OprahMeghanHarry @TeleComment:​

Another Telegraph article that was just released (written by Camilla Tominey and Victoria Ward:

The secret messages in Prince Harry and Meghan's Oprah interview
Teasers released on Monday morning spoke volumes about how the couple plan to position themselves in the two-hour TV special
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1614872665

The Telegraph @Telegraph
They may not have said much, but the teasers spoke volumes
1:49 PM · Mar 5, 2021·Echobox​

The New York Post article, linked above, read as if the vast majority of it, in temper and expression, was lifted straight from a British tabloid. Hardly surprising really, as Jane Ridley, the person who wrote it, is a British-born tabloid journalist who also writes articles for the (London) Sun.

https://muckrack.com/jane-ridley

Please note that speculative posts about the Sussexes losing their titles via acts of Parliament or what William and Kate are thinking have been deleted as off topic.

I am sorry that the interview with Oprah was recorded some time ago. Meghan and Harry probably "held their fire" and are now regretting it. I think that what is coming out now in the form of attacks on them only proves that they were right in leaving royal life.

For wanting to leave the royal life, those two really held on their royal titles as if their lives depended on it.

It is one of the most brutal and scathing critique of the Sussexes that I have come across with. And I meant opinion columns of newspaper, political magazine and tabloids.

I was about to post an opinion column on The Telegraph by Dominic Green (Deputy Editor of Spectator USA), where he talked about the risk of Oprah's interview on UK's international image. The New York Post's article makes this Telegraph opinion column look tame, even though Dominic Green put out some controversial views.

Oprah interview will confirm America's suspicion that Britain is a land of vile snobs
Monday’s Meghan and Harry proceedings risk trashing the UK's international image
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1614876350

The Telegraph @Telegraph
"Meghan and Harry's Oprah interview risk trashing the UK's international image," writes @DrDominicGreen
11:58 AM · Mar 5, 2021·Echobox​

Dominic Green @DrDominicGreen
'When Queen Oprah passes sentence on the Royal Family, the evidence will be given by Meghan, Duchess of Malibu and her turncoat prince. The charge is Old World snobbery with aggravated racism': On #OprahMeghanHarry @TeleComment:​

Another Telegraph article that was just released (written by Camilla Tominey and Victoria Ward:

The secret messages in Prince Harry and Meghan's Oprah interview
Teasers released on Monday morning spoke volumes about how the couple plan to position themselves in the two-hour TV special
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1614872665

The Telegraph @Telegraph
They may not have said much, but the teasers spoke volumes
1:49 PM · Mar 5, 2021·Echobox​

I can't get past the registration popup so I can't read the whole article but I think it's excessive to think the interview could taint the UK's whole image... If anything, it just goes to show how immensely more well-known and popular the British Royal Family is compared to all other royals. The world simply doesn't care about any other royal family the way it does about the British one. This speaks of the pervasiveness of British culture throughout the world...

How utterly ignorant does one have to be if his or her opinion of the UK is affected because of this interview.

First, as an American I understand that Meghan would have real concerns regarding how she is/was/would be treated as a person of color. She is totally correct on that count. However,

Second, give up already! Meghan was, at best, a B-grade actress who met a Prince who fell head-over-heels in love with her. He presented her with a platform. She could have been such a role model for women and women of color in Britain, but instead, she has been whinning non-stop!

Third, they took "his" $$ and ran away. Where is their hardship?

I am so over them.

Harry is Diana's son -- true to form! Both the bad and the good. Unfortunately, totally unaware of how their actions will end up destroying him/them.

This isn't going to end well.

JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder why Harry and Meghan didn't sit down with the queen, prince Charles and William in November or December 2020 to have a conversation about their situation in the Royal Family, reach to an agreement and then issue a joint statement about their future plans and role. So all of this could had been avoided. They had a problem with the Firm - they should have talked with the Boss first and then issue statements. It would have been more elegant and clear. It would have left far less room for speculation.
What they(Harry and Meghan) are doing now with these interviews is just tasteless IMO.
I vaguely recall an interview where Diana was asked something similar and she said she tried.
There were also several scenes in the Crown- (again "mostly" fiction but it gives you an idea) of Diana trying to on multiple occasions speak with the powers that be and the Queen only to be brushed off. She only got their attention when things were at their worst.

Perhaps the same was true for the couple- they were perhaps ignored, brushed off,and told to "fall in line". They likely got the attention when they made up their minds to leave for good.

It is interesting to note that Meghan is making these accusations not Harry. Harry is saying I will never walk away from my family. Meghan is saying the firm did this and this to me , not us. I have been told to watch who said what and how. Look out for the we and I pronoun, a lot of the retakes were done to correct them. A number of people wrote the script and apparently it is very telling. Harry apparently is bound to not say certain thing, either through honor or a nda,
But that has been the issue from day 1 right? Even with other members of the royal family and the criticism and harassment they received. It was Diana and Catherine...the knives were out for those women marrying into the royal family while the male members seem to get a free pass. Even if the couple did an act- it was always the woman that was criticized. It's all part of the sexist agenda of the press

I don't think they regret doing the interview. Everything coming out now from the allegations and accusations is precisely why they needed to do the interview.

I don't think they regret doing the interview. Everything coming out now from the allegations and accusations is precisely why they needed to do the interview.

That could be looked at another way that the stories are only coming out because they are doing the interview. Maybe others wanted their side out as well. Although I wondered if it was more to do with the legal case against the Mail. Certain members of the team were to be called as witnesses if it went to court , maybe they wanted their day. Just a thought.

We've seen enough of the bits of the interview to know what it's about. It's a whinefest about how hard their (rich) lives are. It reminds me of the interview in Africa where they went to some of the poorest nations in the world, spoke with disadvantaged people then gave an interview about how hard life was - for them! Can you imagine if Chelsy Davy had married Harry and behaved how Meghan is behaving that anyone would have had sympathy for her?

They've released two brief clips and a trailer that's been sharply angled and edited out of context to create suspense and attract viewers. Are you seriously arguing that one can make any kind of conclusion about the content of this two hour programme on the basis of that? :lol:

It's all in the eye of the beholder. None of the clips released gives me the impression that they're "whining". They're talking about their experiences. I don't see where they're negating other people's problems? Your post suggests to me that you've already made your mind up about the interview on the basis of a pre-existing bias against them. If that's the case, I suppose anything they'd say would be perceived negatively.

Chelsy Davy is brought up a lot around here. I'm not entirely sure why.

Last edited:
But that has been the issue from day 1 right? Even with other members of the royal family and the criticism and harassment they received. It was Diana and Catherine...the knives were out for those women marrying into the royal family while the male members seem to get a free pass. Even if the couple did an act- it was always the woman that was criticized. It's all part of the sexist agenda of the press

I agree with you that the press, particularly the tabloid have been very harsh on women, particularly wife of a public figure (Cherie Blair or Carrie Symonds). However, there seem to be less men married into a senior female working royal that is in the direct line of succession and expected to take up royal duty. The last royal men to do so is Prince Philip. Mark Phillips and Angus Ogilvy were not working royals. Prince Philip himself faced criticism not just from the press, but also amongst public, mainly because of his "German" background and his sisters' marriage.

Perhaps Oprah might ask about the Tabloid's constant comparison between Catherine and Meghan?

Since Charles only has sons, it would be unfair to compare Catherine to Jack, because William is a senior working royal, while Eugenie is not. There would be a better comparison if it was Catherine and Charles' son-in-law. The same could be said for comparing Timothy Laurence (who is not a working royal) and Sophie (who is a working royal).

Last edited:
Doing a celebrity interview with Oprah is a mistake IMO. It's putting the spotlight on Meghan at a time when she could be quietly enjoying her family, house, garden and planning projects. By deliberately making herself front page news around the world, she's inviting accusations of narcissism and an addiction to fame. It's clear from her actions that she enjoys the limelight and has no intention of taking a backstage role in pursuing her humanitarian aims. I find it distasteful and undignified despite having huge sympathy for her in other ways (eg her treatment by the UK press has often been unkind, unfair and ugly).

Meghan and Harry's issues with the BRF & staff probably cut both ways. Meghan doesn't appear to be a team player if her role is a subordinate one. She presents herself as preferring a leadership role in developing her projects, which could be difficult at times if her plans were obstructed by protocol, a grinding pace or the need to NOT outshine the monarch & direct heirs. I'm sure she was frustrated by staff at times but similarly they were probably frustrated too by being torn between wanting to assist her while also having to tell her things she didn't want to hear.

If Meghan thinks this interview will give her the chance to "speak her truth' then she must also be prepared for the BRF to speak theirs and the result will be increasingly heightened emotions and a deeper rift. It's a mistake but I suspect it's likely to be an enduring pattern of behaviour because the lure of the limelight will be stronger than the desire to quietly build bridges.

Last edited:
I agree with you that the press, particularly the tabloid have been very harsh on women, particularly wife of a public figure (Cherie Blair or Carrie Symonds). However, there seem to be less men married into a senior female working royal that is in the direct line of succession and expected to take up royal duty. The last royal men to do so is Prince Philip. Mark Phillips and Angus Ogilvy were not working royals. Prince Philip himself faced criticism not just from the press, but also amongst public, mainly because of his "German" background and his sisters' marriage.

Perhaps Oprah might ask about the Tabloid's constant comparison between Catherine and Meghan?

Since Charles only has sons, it would be unfair to compare Catherine to Jack, because William is a senior working royal, while Eugenie is not. There would be a better comparison if it was Catherine and Charles' son-in-law. The same could be said for comparing Timothy Laurence (who is not a working royal) and Sophie (who is a working royal).

I would say that isn't necessary truth - in the 1980-1990's the press were absolutely horrible to Charles, Andrew and Edward. A lot of Edward's coverage would now be considered homophobic and litigious. I mean how can you forget the headline - "F**t Edward gives aids to Diana's Darlings"
David Linley, Angus Ogilvy, Mark Philips all got back coverage. I just think people don't remember if - and they have tried dirt on Mark Lawrence. It just doesn't work so they accept that he is dull.

Last edited:
Doing a celebrity interview with Oprah is a mistake IMO. It's putting the spotlight on Meghan at a time when she could be quietly enjoying her family, house, garden and planning projects. By deliberately making herself front page news around the world, she's inviting accusations of narcissism and an addiction to fame. It's clear from her actions that she enjoys the limelight and has no intention of taking a backstage role in pursuing her humanitarian aims. I find it distasteful and undignified despite having huge sympathy for her in other ways (eg her treatment by the UK press has often been unkind, unfair and ugly).

Meghan and Harry's issues with the BRF & staff probably cut both ways. Meghan doesn't appear to be a team player if her role is a subordinate one. She presents herself as preferring a leadership role in developing her projects, which could be difficult at times if her plans were obstructed by protocol, a grinding pace or the need to NOT outshine the monarch & direct heirs. I'm sure she was frustrated by staff at times but similarly they were probably frustrated too by being torn between wanting to assist her while also having to tell her things she didn't want to hear.

If Meghan thinks this interview will give her the chance to "speak her truth' then she must also be prepared for the BRF to speak theirs and the result will be increasingly heightened emotions and a deeper rift. It's a mistake but I suspect it's likely to be an enduring pattern of behaviour because the lure of the limelight will be stronger than the desire to quietly build bridges.

I agree. I don’t think she understood, nor does she want to understand, that she was in a supporting role as wife to a spare and not star of the show.

Why wouldn’t she?

LaRae

Because that is not the way it works in the royal family. It is a controlled life and you operate in terms of the system.

Does anyone here not get that? That they really have limited co trolled of their life?

New clip with Oprah

This (same) clip has commentary at the end from Gayle King

Lord. What a poor, poor woman, silenced by this enormous institution that limited her freedom to give an interview to Oprah! I simply cannot imagine living like that, not being able to make such noise around myself, to whine about how awful my priviledged life is to a worldwide audience, to have to consult my decisions to other people, to have them put a hold on bad ideas... ? ? ?

I was joking about the drinking game earlier, but if the interview will consist of things like that, I will need alcohol :lol:

Because that is not the way it works in the royal family. It is a controlled life and you operate in terms of the system.

Does anyone here not get that? That they really have limited co trolled of their life?

My reply was more to the point that as a grown adult she should be able to make that decision.

If I (average person in the midwest) can grasp that without being “handled” then so would others, especially a highly educated, experienced woman, having dealt with media and interviews before.... She was not a naive 19/20 year old.

If Meghan thinks this interview will give her the chance to "speak her truth' then she must also be prepared for the BRF to speak theirs and the result will be increasingly heightened emotions and a deeper rift. It's a mistake but I suspect it's likely to be an enduring pattern of behavior because the lure of the limelight will be stronger than the desire to quietly build bridges.
I could not have said it better. And honestly, I can't wait to see if the Palace speaks their truth, I just keep thinking that the Palace has been at this PR "game" a whole lot longer than Meghan.

New clip with Oprah

This (same) clip has commentary at the end from Gayle King

Here's an example of how I think she's shooting herself in the foot with this interview. She thinks she sounds reasonable by saying how restricted she was before, versus how liberated she now is to speak for herself. She doesn't sound reasonable at all actually because that's the deal when you become a working member of the BRF. That's the deal. She signed up to those restrictions, that protocol and that system without anyone forcing her. In return for the influential position and the huge privileges, you relinquish your right to voice an unvetted opinion for years until you reach the status of 'National Treasure' or become heir to the throne.

My reply was more to the point that as a grown adult she should be able to make that decision.

If I (average person in the midwest) can grasp that without being “handled” then so would others, especially a highly educated, experienced woman, having dealt with media and interviews before.... She was not a naive 19/20 year old.

Why did she agree to that life then? She had no problem having all the privileges, titles, houses, wedding. On other forum someone said there was never a more unsuitable person for the family and i agree with that. I just can’t wrap my head around it.

For probably the hundredth times - wasn't this explained to her. Didn't she see Harry do this - did she think that there was different rules for Harry then herself . Did Harry think that oh my wife will not have the same limitation of speech or as the palace sees this protection?

How is this a slight? This is how it is done in the palace to all royals - even minor ones. You cannot appear on every talk show that your little heart thinks is good, talking on every subject that pops into your head. This is not a freedom of speech obstruction or personal liberty like Meghan is claiming. The palace isn't silencing the royals by preventing them from talking to the press and public non stop - they are actually protecting the royal from themselves. Is this what this is about that Meghan thought she knew better and wasn't allowed to ?

Me thinks she is making a mountain out of a sandcastle.

Last edited:
It has just occurred to me that maybe M&H had more than usual handling, as the palace might have seen that they needed it.

Why did she agree to that life then? She had no problem having all the privileges, titles, houses, wedding. On other forum someone said there was never a more unsuitable person for the family and i agree with that. I just can’t wrap my head around it.

Maybe that will be addressed. Perhaps she did not realize how restrictive it really was until she was in it. Knowing you cant just say whatever whenever is one thing...being handled is a different level.

LaRae

Here's an example of how I think she's shooting herself in the foot with this interview. She thinks she sounds reasonable by saying how restricted she was before, versus how liberated she now is to speak for herself. She doesn't sound reasonable at all actually because that's the deal when you become a working member of the BRF. That's the deal. She signed up to those restrictions, that protocol and that system without anyone forcing her. In return for the influential position and the huge privileges, you relinquish your right to voice an unvetted opinion for years until you reach the status of 'National Treasure' or become heir to the throne.

Exactly. That was what she signed up for.

And any job you have restricts you on what you say or do anyway. Meghan can say and do exactly what she wants now because she reports to nobody. And she can afford to do so.

The rest of the world faces their own restrictions in the workplace- be it what words can or can not be on their mask or shirt at work. What they say on Facebook about...anything. It’s called real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom