The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 12:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosana View Post
I don't think that the "public" - UK or US - is the target audience that Harry and Megan are trying to reach. They are establishing their credentials as philanthropists and influencers on the world stage, and Oprah is the ideal conduit. This is more a wily business move than a Royal Family "tell-all" or "explain-all" interview which the media is hoping to see. They won't be looking back or explaining the decisions which got them where they are today. They will be forward looking and full of plans and ideas for the future. Just my humble opinion.
I'm leaning towards this as well or to put it blunt:
I think it will basically be a very high-end "Tell-Sell" with themselves as the product they are selling.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:03 AM
Royal Highness

There are plenty of articles questioning the Oprah interview which mischaracterize M&H and Oprah. Plus a ton of articles attributing direct quotes to members of BRF re their 'angry' feelings about Harry and Meghan. There are no obvious vocal direct attacks by any senior member of the BRF, but there have been a ton of public attacks by RR, and some by certain BRF members' relatives, aside from Meghan's family. It's researchable online.

Moving on, the below development is interesting:
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...ision-conflict

Old 02-23-2021, 01:04 AM
Royal Highness

There is something afoot - over the last week 2 of M&H 's staff have had meetings with the royal rota. It seems that the Sussex's are making nice with the press. I have been told it is for favourable coverage of the birth, when they come back to the UK and their other endeavors. Sky, BBC and ITV want interviews.

But here is the really odd thing - CBS and Harpo have talking to the press as well.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
There are plenty of articles questioning the Oprah interview which mischaracterize M&H and Oprah. Plus a ton of articles attributing direct quotes to members of BRF re their 'angry' feelings about Harry and Meghan. There are no obvious vocal direct attacks by any senior member of the BRF, but there have been a ton of public attacks by RR, and some by certain BRF members' relatives, aside from Meghan's family. It's researchable online.

Moving on, the below development is interesting:
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...ision-conflict
Nothing here to see really. The Queen delivers a speech every year to celebrate Commonwealth Day. You can see them on YouTube if you care to. This speech yearly is as expected as the Queen's Christmas Message on Christmas Day every year without fail. The Commonwealth of Nations is something very near and dear to the Queen's heart.

I would even go as far as to suggest that the Commonwealth Day speech was planned long before Harry and Meghan's interview date was picked.

It's what is happening and there's no sinister motive behind any of it that I could deduce.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Nothing here to see really. The Queen delivers a speech every year to celebrate Commonwealth Day. You can see them on YouTube if you care to. This speech yearly is as expected as the Queen's Christmas Message on Christmas Day every year without fail. The Commonwealth of Nations is something very near and dear to the Queen's heart.

I would even go as far as to suggest that the Commonwealth Day speech was planned long before Harry and Meghan's interview date was picked.

It's what is happening and there's no sinister motive behind any of it that I could deduce.
ETA: I stand corrected. The Queen has a Commonwealth Day "message" every year. Not necessarily televised. Pardon my confusion, please.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:08 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

This thread has been cleaned up and is now re-opened.

Several posts had to be deleted as multiple requests to stay on topic were ignored.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:28 PM
Courtier

Does anyone know when/if it will be broadcast in the UK?
Old 02-23-2021, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Does anyone know when/if it will be broadcast in the UK?
Not sure but according to this article the BBC is not bidding for it though Sky and ITV might be interested.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/global/m...uk-1234913039/

Quote:
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s first major interview since splitting with the British Royal Family has sparked a hot bidding war in the U.K. for rights to air the highly coveted sit-down.
Sources tell Variety that Comcast-backed pay-TV operator Sky and free-to-air player ITV are bidding for the CBS primetime special, hosted by Oprah Winfrey. It’s not believed that streaming giants Amazon or Netflix are in the running.
As of Tuesday evening, a BBC source has confirmed that the public broadcaster is not involved in the process. “The BBC is not involved in a bidding war on this.”
Old 02-24-2021, 12:04 AM
Royal Highness

Continued reports regarding the apparent scope and content of the upcoming interview:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainm...?ocid=msedgntp
Old 02-24-2021, 01:14 PM
Aristocracy

The Queen is not overshadowing her grandson's interview. Her Commonwealth program was planned for that date months ago. Sick and tired of people saying the Queen has done this and is doing this. No, I do not know her and no one on this forum does either, but she does not seem to be the type of person who deliberately upstages someone else or plays these games.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori138 View Post
The Queen is not overshadowing her grandson's interview. Her Commonwealth program was planned for that date months ago. Sick and tired of people saying the Queen has done this and is doing this. No, I do not know her and no one on this forum does either, but she does not seem to be the type of person who deliberately upstages someone else or plays these games.
absolutely. she is a 94 year old woman, a head of state and a person who has lived through far worse times and crises than this. what a stupid thing to suggest that a mature woman who has been in this game for way longer than the sussexes have even been alive would engage in such games.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've said this from the beginning- I think that anyone expecting some sort of explosive, tell-all interview where they completely trash the Royal Family is going to be sorely disappointed. I think that it will primarily be discussing their future projects with Spotify, Netflix, and the philanthropic side of Archewell, as well as their new journey as a family (we'll probably learn a little bit more about her pregnancy, probably showing off her cute baby bump, gushing about how excited they are for the new baby, hopefully get some cute tidbits about Archie, etc.).
Old 02-24-2021, 01:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
absolutely. she is a 94 year old woman, a head of state and a person who has lived through far worse times and crises than this. what a stupid thing to suggest that a mature woman who has been in this game for way longer than the sussexes have even been alive would engage in such games.
I would suggest that the American media has no clue about Commonwealth Day in the UK (or even that there *is* a Commonwealth of Nations) let alone the American public being aware of it. They're just seeing the two separate incidents as clashing because they're on the same date.

Perfect example of assuming something dastardly is happening where a bit of research could have explained it so very easily.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Continued reports regarding the apparent scope and content of the upcoming interview:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainm...?ocid=msedgntp

"Speaking their truth" has become the ultimate American woke slogan.

I don't claim to assume that there is only one objective and universal truth, which is a deep philosophical debate, but at the same time I cringe at the extreme moral relativism that has become pervasive in our society where each and every person now talks about his/her "own truth" and facts and evidence don't matter anymore.

I don't want to spark a debate, but it is how I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori138 View Post

Yes, that was a ridiculous statement that shows just how clueless American media can be. I wouldn't expect them to have any understanding of the annual Commonwealth Day service when they cannot even point out some Commonwealth countries on the map, or don't even know what the Commonwealth is.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I would suggest that the American media has no clue about Commonwealth Day in the UK (or even that there *is* a Commonwealth of Nations) let alone the American public being aware of it. They're just seeing the two separate incidents as clashing because they're on the same date.

Perfect example of assuming something dastardly is happening where a bit of research could have explained it so very easily.
Except it is more the UK media trying to play the rivalry game. That said there is zero competition. Literally non existent except for the media's clicks.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Except it is more the UK media trying to play the rivalry game. That said there is zero competition. Literally non existent except for the media's clicks.

Well, it was an American media outlet that claimed that the Queen scheduled the Commonwealth Day broadcast to coincide deliberately with the Oprah interview and called it some kind of "comeback" by the Palace.

Besides, some people seem to forget we now live in a streaming, VoD world. People don't have to watch programs at fixed time slots as in 1960s television or even 1990s cable.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I’ve seen way more of the usual MSM of the UK first going on about it. Literally as they announced the programming they linked it to the Oprah interview. Yes the US media piggybacked off it but they by no means kickstarted the silliness.

That said it’s all ridiculous. And yes streaming negates it all. People will watch when they want too.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I agree Osipi. It's disappointing to read this type of "journalism."

Quote:
Once she and Harry unveiled the plan for their historic tell-all, Queen Elizabeth seemingly had a comeback with an announcement of her own. Westminster Abbey posted news that a message from Her Majesty will air during a BBC One special entitled A Celebration for Commonwealth Day, on the same day, March 7, raising eyebrows as to whether she's attempting to overshadow her grandson's interview.
Even more interesting is that MSN reported in March 2020 that the Commonweatlth service was an annual event. However it appears that they've forgotten that information in the last twelve months.

Below is the link to their article from last year.

https://www.msn.com/en-my/entertainm...Eox?li=BBr8Hnu
Old 02-24-2021, 03:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I agree Osipi. It's disappointing to read this type of "journalism."

Even more interesting is that MSN reported in March 2020 that the Commonweatlth service was an annual event. However it appears that they've forgotten that information in the last twelve months.

Below is the link to their article from last year.

https://www.msn.com/en-my/entertainm...Eox?li=BBr8Hnu
I honestly believe that if I went into journalism way back then, I'd have definitely quit already in sheer disgust. Good journalism is a rare commodity these days.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:54 PM
Serene Highness

The Queen does not try to overshadow other people's interviews. No-one overshadows her: she's the Queen. She does not get involved in tit-for-tat spats like a schoolkid squabbling in the playground.

Commonwealth Day takes place every year. It (originally Empire Day) dates back to 1902. It really hasn't been invented just because Harry and Meghan are going to be on a TV talk show.

I gather that Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Sophie, and maybe some of the other senior Royals as well, will also be involved.

Closed Thread