The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 08:40 AM
Majesty

of course they do, If they want to find a market in America, they have to subtly indicate that they are good people who could not fit into the RF and so they've now come to America to do good deeds...
I think some Americans will buy into the whole story, and will sympathise with them.. so they have a market for their TV shows etc.. and I suppose charities will be glad to receive donations...
But Im not sure how long the interest will last...

Old 02-22-2021, 09:38 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Maria’s family has paid a desperate cost in leading lives of service, so I don’t want to be overly harsh, but yeah, it’s just essentially another American feeling sorry for H and M for how the big, bad BRF treated them. H and M want this sympathy, hence their passive aggressive statement...they do this ALL the time.

As I said in an older post, 'service' is a word that has a very broad meaning and Maria Shriver is obviously assuming that broad definition in her tweet. The meaning of 'service' in the context of the dispute between the Sussexes and the Palace is, however, much narrower and the Sussexes took it out of context to deliver a cheap shot against the RF and present it in a way that would lead most Americans, who are unware of the context, to react probably like Maria.

That kind of PR stunt won't fly in the UK, but it works in America.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
As I said in an older post, 'service' is a word that has a very broad meaning and Maria Shriver is obviously assuming that broad definition in her tweet. The meaning of 'service' in the context of the dispute between the Sussexes and the Palace is, however, much narrower and the Sussexes took it out of context to deliver a cheap shot against the RF and present it in a way that would lead most Americans, who are unware of the context, to react probably like Maria.

I think they've burned their boats in England.. no-one's going to welcome them back except for their personal fans. But I reckon from their behavior over the past year that they think they have better prospects in the US and don't want to come back or believe that they will need to.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:28 AM
Serene Highness

I haven't seen any official confirmation that the interview's being re-shot, just reports in the press, but I assume they've got it from somewhere.

The Royals are free to speak out on all sorts of things, and, because of their high profile, that gives them a lot of opportunity to do good. Prince William's done a lot to raise the profile of male mental health issues, and Camilla's done a lot of work with domestic abuse charities, for example. They might not be "trendy" causes, but they're extremely important, affect many people's lives, and sadly cause a lot of deaths.

There are a lot of areas where Meghan had the opportunity to do a lot of good, just as long as she stayed out of politics.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I honestly do think they'll still spend time in the UK once the pandemic is over with. To not only see family but to support the UK charities and patronages that they still have.

We were already pretty much under a lot of restrictions when the "official date" of the Sussex's exit from the "Firm" on March 31, 2020. Things may have been totally and completely different if the pandemic hadn't shut the world down so badly and rapidly.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I haven't seen any official confirmation that the interview's being re-shot, just reports in the press, but I assume they've got it from somewhere.

The Royals are free to speak out on all sorts of things, and, because of their high profile, that gives them a lot of opportunity to do good. Prince William's done a lot to raise the profile of male mental health issues, and Camilla's done a lot of work with domestic abuse charities, for example. They might not be "trendy" causes, but they're extremely important, affect many people's lives, and sadly cause a lot of deaths.

There are a lot of areas where Meghan had the opportunity to do a lot of good, just as long as she stayed out of politics.
Actually I think that now royals get involved in more hard edged charities than they used to, like domestic violence against women, sexual exploitation etc. etc. But there are lines and rules and Meghan didn't want to recognise that or IMO wanted to be a political "influencer" in the US, part time and a royal Princess in the UK, part time...
Old 02-22-2021, 10:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I honestly do think they'll still spend time in the UK once the pandemic is over with. To not only see family but to support the UK charities and patronages that they still have.

We were already pretty much under a lot of restrictions when the "official date" of the Sussex's exit from the "Firm" on March 31, 2020. Things may have been totally and completely different if the pandemic hadn't shut the world down so badly and rapidly.
What for, really? Much of the British public is not keen on them, due to their whole demeanour in the past year and the press are pretty icy towards them. THey may want to visit family but that can be done privately....
Old 02-22-2021, 10:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think it's probably more up to the charities and patronages that they're connected with whether or not they wish to retain them in the capacity they had while working royals. This link tells what they lost and what they've kept. I only see SmartWorks listed for Meghan but wonder about the Hubb Kitchen and Mayhew. Anyone know?

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a9299076.html
Old 02-22-2021, 10:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
None of what you say in your post is true regarding Meghan, although there are probably tabloids trying to push that narrative.

In fact, Harry & Meghan rented a converted barn in the Cotswolds until someone leaked the whereabouts to paps and tabloids, and the property was harmfully intruded upon. Meghan & Harry never had any interest in an overly grand royal lifestyle with a huge staff. Where the Sussexes live now is a wonderful property, but it's more west coast Garden of Eden, than it is snooty, palatial and frosty upper class. The original owners who built the Montecito property love Italian and French architecture, so they designed the home with those preferences in mind. They raised a happy family there. But the tabloids have only abounded with off-putting tales of the later Russian owner who barely, if ever, lived there and who spent years trying to unload it as an investment property.

In California, H&M have a very comfortable, wealthy lifestyle, but it's not overly grand. It's laid-back and down-to-earth. Meghan is a California girl who loves to work hard, and she also loves giving back to others and lifting up those less privileged than she has worked to become. Her head isn't turned by tiaras and ballgowns. She has a lot more substance and character than some people seem willing or able to acknowledge.

There is an interesting article in The Spectator (Australia), which observed:
"The royals, and those who surround them, still can’t see what they have jettisoned. It will be on display when Meghan and Harry’s interview with Oprah is broadcast."

https://www.spectator.com.au/2021/02...ry-and-meghan/
"down to earth" "laid-back" "not overly grand"... That admittedly lovely property of theirs cost 11£ million, has 16 bathrooms and would to most people on earth come across as very grand and anything but laid-back and down-to-earth. Also if Meghan's head wasn't turned by tiaras then why all the drama surrounding her wedding tiara?
Meghan is a smart and ambitious young woman who seems very honest in her ambition to do good in the world but that doesn't negate the fact that she lives a life of immense privilege and wealth.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
"down to earth" "laid-back" "not overly grand"... That admittedly lovely property of theirs cost 11£ million, has 16 bathrooms and would to most people on earth come across as very grand and anything but laid-back and down-to-earth. Also if Meghan's head wasn't turned by tiaras then why all the drama surrounding her wedding tiara?
Meghan is a smart and ambitious young woman who seems very honest in her ambition to do good in the world but that doesn't negate the fact that she lives a life of immense privilege and wealth.
I agree JR76. Also I find the article made an interesting choice for a headline by using the word "jettisoned." After all it was ultimately the choice of the Sussexes to leave.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I agree JR76. Also I find the article made an interesting choice for a headline by using the word "jettisoned." After all it was ultimately the choice of the Sussexes to leave.
well yes what HAVE they "jettisoned"? OK the house at Frogmore was free, but i doubt if it was any fancier than the massive property they've got in LA. the only things they have jettisoned.. are the BRF and its duties....
Old 02-22-2021, 11:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Back to the impeding interview, I'm wondering if we'll see much of the interior of their home in clips with Archie? Supposedly, it's been rumored that there will be some footage filmed in the home.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Back to the impeding interview, I'm wondering if we'll see much of the interior of their home in clips with Archie? Supposedly, it's been rumored that there will be some footage filmed in the home.
Was the interview shot at their home ?
Old 02-22-2021, 11:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

No, I don't believe it was filmed in the home but re: post #271 from AC21091968: It's why I put the word "rumor" in my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
I found this screenshot of an article (that I'm unsure of) on the senior CBS source (again unsure about the reliability). It stated that viewers could expect some footages of Archie that were filmed recently in the Sussex's family home. That section of the article also mentioned about the possible topics in Oprah's interviews.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuxCIf1W...g&name=900x900
Old 02-22-2021, 11:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

I agree with what you’re saying in general, but I just don’t think that this will win over any Americans who don’t already like them.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I agree with what you’re saying in general, but I just don’t think that this will win over any Americans who don’t already like them.
But America's a much bigger place than the UK.. and I think that more US people are inclined to think them nice, than in the UK.. so there will be enough of a fan base or an interest base for them to pursue their "lifestyle" for a couple of years. But if Netflix deal doesn't go well, or they begin to bore the publc, not sure how long the good times will last...
whereas in the UK, I dont think they have much of a support base at all now...
Old 02-22-2021, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

We have no idea how the overall UK population thinks of Harry and Meghan. I would guess most don't care one way or the other -- and that goes for all the royals. People can assume based on the media but we know that can be deceiving.

I remember people had similar feelings about how they would be received last March and none of that was true. So until they return and interact publicly, we have no clue what the reaction will be. And honestly my guess it will be more or less the same.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
We have no idea how the overall UK population thinks of Harry and Meghan. I would guess most don't care one way or the other -- and that goes for all the royals. People can assume based on the media but we know that can be deceiving.

I remember people had similar feelings about how they would be received last March and none of that was true. So until they return and interact publicly, we have no clue what the reaction will be. And honestly my guess it will be more or less the same.
People aren't going to go to see them jsut to shout abuse.. so as they do have a fan base here, there will be people who will be pleased to see them and they're teh ones who will possibly turn up to see them. But in any case Yougov figures about them are negative.. and I dont think that they are going to get a lot of positive attention...
Old 02-22-2021, 02:06 PM
Heir Apparent

YouGov polls about Meghan have mostly always been negative about Meghan. Nothing new about that. But as you said (and I agree), people who like them will still support and those who don't won't. I don't think much has really changed either way but time will tell if/when they do return to the UK.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post

Actually we have a pretty good idea of their favorability rate in the UK based on national polls and we know it has dropped dramaticallly over the past year.

I don't know how they are faring in other Commonwealth realms like Australia or Canada because I haven't seen any poll taken there, but I suspect that indifference to the RF in general is bigger in those countries than in the UK, especially in Canada, maybe not so much in Australia where there seems to be a larger number of royal watchers.

Closed Thread