The Duke and Duchess of Sussex with Oprah I - Pre-interview, Feb-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've said before, it's the way the world's always been. Henrietta Maria was blamed for the Civil War. Marie Antoinette was blamed for the French Revolution. Alexandra Feodorovna was blamed for the Russian Revolution. None of those women actually held any power, but they were blamed for what their husbands did or didn't do. Boris Johnson's fiancée's the latest one to come in for criticism in the press, being accused of trying to influence government inappropriately. The same used to be said about Tony Blair's wife, but it was certainly never said about Theresa May's husband or Margaret Thatcher's husband.

CBS have said that they won't delay the broadcast because of Prince Philip's illness, so someone must have asked them about it.

Articles about the significance of what Meghan chose to wear for the Oprah interview (Diana's jewelry). Plus, the lotus flower on the dress symbolizes rebirth and resilience:

https://people.com/royals/meghan-ma...racelet-oprah-winfrey-interview-prince-harry/

https://thevalleynewspaper.com/meghan-markles-outfit-for-oprahs-interview-has-a-symbolic-meaning/

Below article discusses calls to delay the interview. Actually, M&H have no control over the broadcast plans of CBS at this point, and I doubt the network will pull the interview since scheduling is set and they anticipate high viewership:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle...ilip-is-gravely-ill/ar-BB1e9pdF?ocid=msedgntp

FWIW: Meghan has previously used the word 'unsurvivable,' to describe the negative press and online trolling she has been subjected to. She used this descriptor last summer during an appearance she and Harry made on the Teenager Therapy podcast, founded and hosted by L.A. high school students. So her use of the word is not new. Oprah surely heard Meghan use it for the first time on that podcast last summer.

Last edited:
FWIW: Meghan has previously used the word 'unsurvivable,' to describe the negative press and online trolling she has been subjected to. She used this descriptor last summer during an appearance she and Harry made on the Teenager Therapy podcast, founded and hosted by L.A. high school students. So her use of the word is not new. Oprah surely heard Meghan use it for the first time on that podcast last summer.

I almost wonder if Oprah is actually referring to the podcast. We shall see.

Not surprised ITV won out on the Oprah interview. £1million? Wow.

I almost wonder if Oprah is actually referring to the podcast. We shall see.

Not surprised ITV won out on the Oprah interview. £1million? Wow.

Actually I would have expected Sky to outbid ITV.

Remarks from BP regarding the Sussexes' upcoming interview.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...lth-update-duke-edinburgh-transferred-second/

"The Royal Family has "more important things to worry about" than the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s Oprah Winfrey interview, Buckingham Palace aides said on Monday night, as the Duke of Edinburgh was transferred to a leading cardiac hospital.

Prince Philip, 99, was taken by ambulance from the private King Edward VII’s Hospital to St Bartholomew’s Hospital in central London just hours after a dramatic clip of the Sussexes’ “shocking” comments was released by a US television network.

The timing of the couple’s interview was described as “unfortunate” amid speculation about whether it might have to be pulled.

Palace aides suggested that the family’s focus was solely on the Duke, who had already spent 13 nights in hospital and is expected to remain there until at least the end of the week.

One said: “The family is very worried about him and their thoughts are very much with him rather than this Oprah interview. They have much more important things to worry about.”

Another senior aide said: “This programme is really not something we are focusing on at the moment.”

The little teaser from the Oprah interview make it sound like she married into the Corleone Family, not the RF, either be silent or be silenced? which one take your pick. Both of them have lost the sense of Reality, they need to step into the present and leave the passed , in the passed. Wearing Pss Diana's Bracelet does not make her Diana by a long shot. Diana's shoes she will never be able to fill. For Harry get unstuck from the passed, get some serious help please. Before he reaches the point of no return.

I don't understand what is the point of Prince Harry and Meghan giving this interview now.
I understand that BRF has more important issues to focus on, and the focus should be on Prince Philip who is hospitalized.

I don't understand what is the point of Prince Harry and Meghan giving this interview now.
I understand that BRF has more important issues to focus on, and the focus should be on Prince Philip who is hospitalized.
The interview was planned and even recorded, I think, before Prince Philip was hospitalized.

But damn, that BP aides did not hold back. While I recognize that Harry and Meghan couldn't predict the situation, nor can probably stop the interview now, it puts them in worse-than-usual light. Depending on the contents of the interview, it can still get so much more worse.

Hopefully by the time it airs, Prince Philip will be home, out of the hospital, and in much better health.

The interview was planned and even recorded, I think, before Prince Philip was hospitalized.

But damn, that BP aides did not hold back. While I recognize that Harry and Meghan couldn't predict the situation, nor can probably stop the interview now, it puts them in worse-than-usual light. Depending on the contents of the interview, it can still get so much more worse.

Hopefully by the time it airs, Prince Philip will be home, out of the hospital, and in much better health.

Yep, that was a pretty sharp remark!

Anyway, the BRF don't have to be that concerned IMO. Unless Harry decides to announce that there are indeed reptiles in his immediate family, whatever they have to say will hardly be more than a sad irritant for the BRF. I can't imagine it will be a serious threat to the BRF.

Any harm as a result of this interview - and the timing - is going to affect H&M more than anyone else.

Yes if H & M whine - at all - about the hard life they lead while the Duke is in hospital, it will not be a good look for them. Kind of looking forward to what they have to say.

Yep, that was a pretty sharp remark!

Anyway, the BRF don't have to be that concerned IMO. Unless Harry decides to announce that there are indeed reptiles in his immediate family, whatever they have to say will hardly be more than a sad irritant for the BRF. I can't imagine it will be a serious threat to the BRF.

Any harm as a result of this interview - and the timing - is going to affect H&M more than anyone else.
That's exactly how I meant it. Sorry if that was not clear!

Actually I would have expected Sky to outbid ITV.

I'm not. ITV are by far the most far reaching broadcaster after the BBC said no.

Interviews long term are not a good idea of royals but what choice do they have? Need to keep yourself relevant. So I am sure it will be greeted with the same confirmation bias everything with them is.

I really hope this pre-recorded interview is not pulled from the airwaves on Sunday/Monday - at a time when so many people across the world (including the British Royal Family) are suffering from illness, loss and worry, their petulant and persistent complaining from their life of luxury on the Californian coast will show them in their true light.

To be honest, I don't expect the interview to be a whole lot of whining and complaining and moaning how bad their life was. As Meghan has recently won a lawsuit against the Mail on Sunday and it was stated that any settlement she received would be donated to an anti-bullying campaign, I see nothing wrong with putting emphasis on this and how important it is to stand up to being bullied. It's not "whining" to reiterate the mental stress one goes through constantly being barraged by the media in a avalanche of unnecessary brutal attacks. All of us here that have followed Harry and Meghan since day one have witnessed this first hand as it happened. Any "complaint" against the royal family will not be personal ones but in relation to the "Firm's" way of doing things. The "never complain, never explain" ostriching that never seemed to support someone being so badly defamed. It'd be like complaining against policy at Microsoft rather than aiming bullets at Bill Gates, himself.

The problem lies now in the fact that although Harry and Meghan are royals, they're no longer "working" royals and not constrained by institutional rules and ways of doing things. Whatever they deem they need to do, it's their own decisions to make and win or lose, whatever the interview contains, its a reflection on Harry and Meghan alone. I'll probably stream it the next day.

This thread is about to explode once this interview airs. It'll be interesting to see opinions of what we personally saw and heard. I expect it to be as mixed as anything else pertaining to the Sussexes have been. :D

This thread is about to explode once this interview airs. It'll be interesting to see opinions of what we personally saw and heard. I expect it to be as mixed as anything else pertaining to the Sussexes have been. :D

I agree with you Osipi, I think the forums is going to have robust back-and-forth arguments even more so than the Southern Africa documentary.

In regards to Sky not winning the bid, I'm not really surprised by it. Sky UK is owned by Comcast, which also managed NBC and MSNBC. I guess Comcast did not win because CBS does not want to deal/work with rival big three television network (other being ABC). Sky Australia however is owned by Murdoch.

Another reason is that Oprah's production team asked Holly Willoughby (ITV's This Morning presenter) for permission to assess interview with Samantha Markle. This could be some sort of exchange/deal between ITV and CBS.

On a different note, Chris Ship on Good Morning Britain predicted that Meghan is going to talk about mental health, press/media and race. Unfortunately I could not find any clips on Youtube, so the Daily Mail video is the only source.

'I know that she is going to mention things like mental health and the impact of being in the UK had on her mental health. I know that she's going to mention about the press intrusion, but also she's going to raise the issue of race in Britain', Mr Ship told Good Morning Britain.

Meghan Markle will 'raise the issue of race in Britain' and the 'impact that living in UK had on her mental health' during Oprah chat, reveals ITV News Royal Editor amid fury at channel paying '£1m air interview' while Philip is sick
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rkle-raise-issue-race-Britain-Oprah-chat.html

Personally, I think if Harry & Meghan mentions about race, it would go down like a lead balloon. There were a lot of criticisms (e.g. from Trevor Philip and Andrew Neil) when Harry & Meghan gave that infamous talk on Queen's Commonwealth Trust and Evening Standard interview on ending structural racism and white privilege.

Meghan Markle will 'raise the issue of race in Britain' and the 'impact that living in UK had on her mental health' during Oprah chat, reveals ITV News Royal Editor amid fury at channel paying '£1m air interview' while Philip is sick
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rkle-raise-issue-race-Britain-Oprah-chat.html

Personally, I think if Harry & Meghan mentions about race, it would go down like a lead balloon. There were a lot of criticisms (e.g. from Trevor Philip and Andrew Neil) when Harry & Meghan gave that infamous talk on Queen's Commonwealth Trust and Evening Standard interview on ending structural racism and white privilege.

I think it is odd for Meghan to talk about "race in Britain" when she is not a British citizen and doesn't live in Britain.

I am not saying that there are no issues to be raised, but, unless it is a matter of obvious international concern involving a non-responsive government (e.g. apartheid in South Africa, Chinese human rights violation in Xinjiang and Tibet, genocide, etc.), foreign citizens who raise domestic issues of other countries are generally frowned upon. She should stick to raising the issue of race in America.

Last edited:
I agree with you Osipi, I think the forums is going to have robust back-and-forth arguments even more so than the Southern Africa documentary.

In regards to Sky not winning the bid, I'm not really surprised by it. Sky UK is owned by Comcast, which also managed NBC and MSNBC. I guess Comcast did not win because CBS does not want to deal/work with rival big three television network (other being ABC). Sky Australia however is owned by Murdoch.

Another reason is that Oprah's production team asked Holly Willoughby (ITV's This Morning presenter) for permission to assess interview with Samantha Markle. This could be some sort of exchange/deal between ITV and CBS.

On a different note, Chris Ship on Good Morning Britain predicted that Meghan is going to talk about mental health, press/media and race. Unfortunately I could not find any clips on Youtube, so the Daily Mail video is the only source.

Yeah won't go down well. Does racism exist in the UK...as with all isms of course it does but race and racism is a different beast in the UK and Europe than it is in the USA.

So no it won't go down well because there will be cultural dissonance.

I think the sensational-sounding things in the trailer-- Oprah asking about being silent or silenced, for instance -- are meant to pull in the type of viewers who usually follow reality TV programs and personalities. That is a huge audience! I wonder if these dramatic statements and questions from Oprah will seem considerably less dramatic when seen in context during the interview.

Meghan's makeup was a bit distracting. The heavy eye liner wasn't suited to an outdoor setting. She also seemed to be squinting, which made me think her eyes were irritated. The pale lips didn't really go with the bronze-toned blusher. Meghan is a very pretty woman, and this makeup did her no favors.

The trailer is exactly what we all knew it would be, Oprah is known for such trailers and they will continue as the interview drags on for two hours until the viewers realise that actually the biggest drama is the voice over and dramatic music.

It is poor taste to broadcast it while Philip is in hospital IMO and it will look awful on H&M, it actually takes away from anything they say about "not being asked if I was okay" and the like if they go on TV and talk about the RF while Philip is ill in hospital, it totally undercuts that and any "be kind" message. It was always going to be a tough gig for H&M to talk about their own worries while the world was facing a global pandemic - I guess the need for some attention and PR to help launch their latest commercial ventures became too much as well as the pull of a public stuck inside with not much else to distract them meaning possibly higher ratings. Fair enough in one way as everyone has to work to keep going but still.

The trailer is exactly what we all knew it would be, Oprah is known for such trailers and they will continue as the interview drags on for two hours until the viewers realise that actually the biggest drama is the voice over and dramatic music.

It is poor taste to broadcast it while Philip is in hospital IMO and it will look awful on H&M, it actually takes away from anything they say about "not being asked if I was okay" and the like if they go on TV and talk about the RF while Philip is ill in hospital, it totally undercuts that and any "be kind" message. It was always going to be a tough gig for H&M to talk about their own worries while the world was facing a global pandemic - I guess the need for some attention and PR to help launch their latest commercial ventures became too much as well as the pull of a public stuck inside with not much else to distract them meaning possibly higher ratings. Fair enough in one way as everyone has to work to keep going but still.

Celebrity is like the chocolate pudding, sprinkles, icing after a wholesome meal in good times. We loved to hear about their moans, trials etc when our needs are met and we are safe. When we are starving in so many ways: emotionally, physically, socially etc. That stuff will give you diabetes or worse kill you. Or the people talking.

I think the sensational-sounding things in the trailer-- Oprah asking about being silent or silenced, for instance -- are meant to pull in the type of viewers who usually follow reality TV programs and personalities. That is a huge audience! I wonder if these dramatic statements and questions from Oprah will seem considerably less dramatic when seen in context during the interview.

Meghan's makeup was a bit distracting. The heavy eye liner wasn't suited to an outdoor setting. She also seemed to be squinting, which made me think her eyes were irritated. The pale lips didn't really go with the bronze-toned blusher. Meghan is a very pretty woman, and this makeup did her no favors.

I think the outfits are also out of touch. Look at Oprah on point for the current age. Practical Glamour. He looks like he is going to an Edwardian Garden Party and for such a beautiful woman I just don't know what any of the get up is about.

My questions have always been and remains this: if the media, palace officials and POSSIBLY some family members have done nothing wrong why are people acting like they are worried about what might be said in the interview? Why does the RF accept/tolerate being the punching bag of the media? Why is it the women who marry in are attacked (Catherine,Sophie,Meghan, etc) and not the men?

I don't know. Maybe because the women married into "the firm" and the men are born a part of the family? Prince Charles certainly has been criticized.

I think it is odd for Meghan to talk about "race in Britain" when she is not a British citizen and doesn't live in Britain.

I am not saying that there are no issues to be raised, but, unless it is a matter of obvious international interest involving a non-responsive government (e.g. apartheid in South Africa, Chinese human rights violation in Xinjiang and Tibet, genocide, etc.), foreign citizens who raise domestic issues of other countries are generally frowned upon. She should stick to raising the issue of race in America.
Wow! No- it isn't odd.
One need not be a citizen of a country to " earn the right" to talk about race and racism in that country. Their experience as a minority is sufficient.
African immigrants in many European countries experience racism in the respective countries they live in. Should the prejudice and discrimination they experience be ignored because they are not citizens of the country ? Should their thoughts and feelings on race and racism be ignored?

The idea of such a thought is divisive and inhumane.

I am not saying that there are no issues to be raised, but, unless it is a matter of obvious international interest involving a non-responsive government (e.g. apartheid in South Africa, Chinese human rights violation in Xinjiang and Tibet, genocide, etc.), foreign citizens who raise domestic issues of other countries are generally frowned upon. She should stick to raising the issue of race in America.

Why is it odd for a biracial woman who lived in the UK for a few years to talk about racism in the UK?

Here in the UK we have such a "polite, brush it under the carpet" attitude towards racism and I'm sick of it.

Sky spend all their money on Formula 1 racing. I've got nothing against F1; it just amazes me how they let so many other things go because it costs so much.

The front page headline of the Sun this morning was about how distasteful it is to broadcast this whilst Prince Philip's in hospital. OK, the Sun is not the world's classiest newspaper, with all due respect to it, but the fact that that was on the front page of any newspaper says a lot.

Enough's enough. If they wanted to do an interview to promote their "brand" and push products, it'd be a bit tacky but I could understand it. But all this "the whole world's against us" stuff from people in such a privileged position annoyed people when they did it after the Africa visit and is going to annoy people again this time. They've already whinged all over the Omid Scobie book.

Why keep repeating it? What good is it doing, other than to cause bad feeling? What does it achieve?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! No- it isn't odd.
One need not be a citizen of a country to " earn the right" to talk about race and racism in that country. Their experience as a minority is sufficient.
African immigrants in many European countries experience racism in the respective countries they live in. Should the prejudice and discrimination they experience be ignored because they are not citizens of the country ? Should their thoughts and feelings on race and racism be ignored?

The idea of such a thought is divisive and inhumane.

Why is it odd for a biracial woman who lived in the UK for a few years to talk about racism in the UK?

Here in the UK we have such a "polite, brush it under the carpet" attitude towards racism and I'm sick of it.

I think the problem/controversy will arise if Meghan starts accusing Britain as a racist country, just because some vile individuals (i.e. Danny Baker) make a racist comments. Yes, there are individuals who are racist, but that does not mean everyone is racist. In Parliament, the debate around race has been very robust with huge divide amongst political parties (Check Hansard for the length of debate). Britain is also divided by class if not more so than race. There has been many studies showing that the white working class are doing worse than BAME working class in terms of education.

By the way, I'm an ethnic minority in Australia and I really hate when people tried to label those with European descent (white people) are all racist, playing identity politics and dragging race to every single argument. I considered myself very fortunate and not convinced by the narrative that I'm the oppressed victim of systemic racism. And I certainly don't buy into the "white privilege" and "white fragility".

Last edited:
Good grief, 21 pages and the interview hasn't even been screened yet. There must have been one hell of a run on crystal balls judging by the Daily Mail, et al and even some posters here. :whistling:

If it's a "poor little rich couple" interview it will go over like a lead balloon. If it's upbeat and optimistic then it will go over fine. No one wants to see to privileged rich people complain about how hard their lives are.

I think because I really like Prince Harry and Meghan I will wait and keep an open mind to the interview. I try to not spew negative remarks, assumptions, and accusations before an event. I'm interested in our other commenter's critiques and view points only if they keep an open mind. It should be a very good interview though.

If it's a "poor little rich couple" interview it will go over like a lead balloon. If it's upbeat and optimistic then it will go over fine. No one wants to see to privileged rich people complain about how hard their lives are.

An overflowing bank account and privileges do not necessarily mean that life is a walk in the park for anyone. Then again, someone with a very low income and having to make do with what one has, does not give them the stage to whine and moan their lot in life. Attitude is everything. Negativity breeds contempt and more negativity. It sucks the life out of anything.

I think any "complaints" aired in this interview will have sound reasoning behind them and not presented in a "woe is me" kind of diatribe. Neither Harry or Meghan, to me, seem the kind of people to sulk and live in the past but to take action and move forward with positive attitudes and actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom