The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
I think George is too young for dynasty pictures. He needs to be a child and enjoy himself. William I recall had his first dynasty photo when he was a teen. That said, I think Harry does love the Cambridge children and he was making an observation which is true. The Cambridge children will get a lot of attention especially perhaps when they become teenagers.

It's not unheard of among the European royals for three or even four generations to pose together even when the youngest is a baby or toddler.

Here's Denmark's QMI, CP Frederik and Prince Christian together when Christian is a baby.

https://www.google.com/search?q=roya...bS4VegcCmeznuM

Here's Norway's three generations photo with Ingrid Alexandra as a toddler/preschooler.

https://www.google.com/search?q=roya...NK7H-re1e80-LM

Perhaps that recent photo will be discussed with Prince Harry during the interview.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:21 PM
Aristocracy

That picture was an awesome photo because you don't know if they'd ever have the chance for it. It's historic.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I think George is too young for dynasty pictures. He needs to be a child and enjoy himself. William I recall had his first dynasty photo when he was a teen. That said, I think Harry does love the Cambridge children and he was making an observation which is true. The Cambridge children will get a lot of attention especially perhaps when they become teenagers.

How old was the future king Edward VIII in the famous four generations picture with Queen Victoria and the future kings Edward VII and George V?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
It's not unheard of among the European royals for three or even four generations to pose together even when the youngest is a baby or toddler.

Here's Denmark's QMI, CP Frederik and Prince Christian together when Christian is a baby.

https://www.google.com/search?q=roya...bS4VegcCmeznuM

Here's Norway's three generations photo with Ingrid Alexandra as a toddler/preschooler.

https://www.google.com/search?q=roya...NK7H-re1e80-LM

Perhaps that recent photo will be discussed with Prince Harry during the interview.

Irony aside, I doubt Oprah's average audience knows a lot about Norway or Denmark, let alone that they have a royal family.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
They are historical photographs. A Queen who we hope will see her Platinum Jubilee with the next 3 in the succession. Secondly what family would not have photographs of the 4 generations.
I acknowledge what you are saying about William being in his teens but George is the 4th Generation , so waiting until he is a teen might not be such a good idea if you want the historical photograph.
William has always said his role is to ensure George and all his children have a happy safe and secure childhood. He has tried to find a balance that we have an opportunity to see the children or at least photographs but they are not often out in public.

Are we to take it then that Harry was unhappy when William had photographs taken with Charles and the Queen for historical purposes. I am not sure if it was a birthday or a jubilee but there is at least one photograph of the three of them. Maybe Harry has been harbouring these feelings of resentment for some time. It has been said that his mother tried to ensure he was never left out because she knew the focus would be on William as the heir.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
How old was the future king Edward VIII in the famous four generations picture with Queen Victoria and the future kings Edward VII and George V?

Irony aside, I doubt Oprah's average audience knows a lot about Norway or Denmark, let alone that they have a royal family.

The photo was taken in 1899 so he's about 4-5 years old in that photo. Thank you for sharing it as the only four generation: Victoria, Edward VII, George V, Edward VIII photo that I'd seen before was at David's christening.

I do have to wonder if Oprah is going to go with a line of questioning for Prince Harry regarding his feelings on what would have been his future role(s) for possible three reigns: father, brother nephew?
Old 02-21-2021, 06:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
What I find amazing is that this thread had dropped to the level of every little thing the BRF, the cousins, the guests at the wedding and the street vendors in Windsor time have done over time. Its centralizing on relationships within the BRF and statements and events that have really been played up in the press ad nauseum thinking this'll all affect the upcoming interview. Maybe if the interviewer was Piers Morgan or Dan Wooten, I'd think there was some merit.

This is CBS. This isn't even Oprah's channel or Oprah's show. Along with all the negative things being said about Oprah, the woman is not only a successful and prominent interviewer here in the States, she is also well known for being a humanitarian. This is a woman that is astute enough and intelligent enough to know the difference between getting information and setting off publicity bombs. Oprah and Harry and Meghan, I do not believe, would have been given a 90 minute spot on prime time TV to do harm. The purpose is to highlight Harry and Meghan, themselves. They are not going to want to be represented as has beens with sour grapes on their breath. Any "complaint" aired would be ones that legitimately (to them) that detracted from the work they wanted to do, how they wanted to work and how they were represented in the UK press (that alone could fill a half hour). In other words, what went wrong in their public roles. They won't touch on the family being racist nor that Kate made Meghan cry or that they were sent to the boonies at Frogmore.

I see them touching on their family life with Archie and the impeding birth of their second child. I see them touching on Archewell and what they hope to accomplish with it. I expect them to touch on how Covid has affected them and those around them (perhaps even including that they've not seen Harry's family in over a year). I expect them to touch on a lot of things without trashing *anybody* personally. I expect Harry to touch on the Invictus Games and how it's been cancelled but talk about how its going to go forward. There's so much to touch on that they don't *need* to use this interview to lash out and try and turn this interview into a tabloid style "tell all".

JMO of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Even if Archie Harrison was living at Frogmore, I’d doubt he’d see his cousins outside of public photo opportunities.
TBH, even if Archie spent every day this year with his cousins, when he was older, he wouldn't remember them. How much do any of us remember from when we were under 5 years old?
Old 02-21-2021, 07:21 PM
Majesty

I agree with Osipi's last post. Nobody, and I emphasise nobody, knows what is in the forthcoming interview except Harry, Meghan, Oprah Winfrey and her production crew.

The British media don't know either, none of them, though several journalists and commentators have indulged in huge amounts of guesswork over the last three days for sure.
It might be good to remember in every such assertion that Meghan is going to accuse this Royal or or another, that the British media has a very big axe to grind with the Sussexes because of Meghan's victory in her privacy case. They have a vested interest in raising the emotional atmosphere surrounding this interview, as it serves their own ends.

To hear some commentators one would imagine that Meghan will almost certainly attack the Queen, Prince Charles, William and Kate in some venom filled attack for 90 minutes, with Harry coming in to throw some more fuel over the fire in the end. When have either of them personally attacked any member of the Royal Family in anything we've heard it from their own lips?

Also, picking out incidents, photographs and remarks from four or five years ago and guessing from them some supposed lingering feelings of a person or persons none of us know personally, and averring therefore this and that is going to come out in this interview is not really helpful, is it?

It is going to be interesting to see what is said here and elsewhere after the interview is aired if the Sussexes concentrate when speaking to Oprah on their family life, how they've settled down in the US, Archewell, their new home, future charity endeavours and their hopes for the coming years.

Meghan may touch on her difficulties with Palace officials when joining the RF. I don't know. However she is not likely to name names even then, and one thing I am absolutely certain of is that she will not be insulting any of her husband's family, even if she wanted to, and I don't believe she does. Why? Because she knows he loves them and they love him.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:26 PM
Serene Highness

This article references Harry’s remarks about having a small window to have a positive impact before William’s children take over https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...nts-king-queen, rather sad reading now, when he made those remarks he was hopeful about his future role w/in the family. So much water under the bridge and so much vitriol directed at his now wife since those halcyon days.
Harry and William are very different personalities. William is pragmatic, a bit OCD, cautious, staid almost, some would consider him cold and aloof. It took him what, a decade to settle on Kate. Harry is passionate, emotional, and leads with his heart, he ‘knew’ Meghan was the right one almost immediately.
The William type personalities seem to do better w/ the role a royal must play. Life in the RF of this century has not been easy for the Harry types. Look at David & Princess Margaret - emotional types ruled by their hearts and I believe both lead somewhat unhappy lives.
No matter what is said in the Oprah interview, those wanting to spin it negatively will do so, irrespective of the meaning of the actual words uttered, they’ll misinterpret or misconstrue things to feed their pre-existing biases. I suspect the Sussexes know they won’t alter that group of haters, perhaps their goal is to find common cause with a new audience, one that will enable them to make a positive difference, to paraphrase Harry from that long ago interview. I’m not sure it will work, celebrities pushing charitable causes are a dime a dozen here in the states, so it’ll be interesting to see if their message resonates w/ the unbiased (for or against) among the audience.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
This is so far-fetched. Are you honestly suggesting that Harry, a grown man, wanted to Gabriella there but Meghan told him no?

There were what? 600 people at their wedding? Including extended family members you've never seen Harry interact with publicly (such as Lady Alexandra Knatchbull – whose wedding Harry, in return, did not attend) and his brother's in-laws. If it meant a lot to him to have Gabriella there, he would've invited her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Who are the brothers in law?
I don't believe I referenced any brothers in law?

Old 02-21-2021, 11:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
I have the feeling, she thought she and Harry would be as grand in housing an money and everything else as William & Cathrine ...
None of what you say in your post is true regarding Meghan, although there are probably tabloids trying to push that narrative.

In fact, Harry & Meghan rented a converted barn in the Cotswolds until someone leaked the whereabouts to paps and tabloids, and the property was harmfully intruded upon. Meghan & Harry never had any interest in an overly grand royal lifestyle with a huge staff. Where the Sussexes live now is a wonderful property, but it's more west coast Garden of Eden, than it is snooty, palatial and frosty upper class. The original owners who built the Montecito property love Italian and French architecture, so they designed the home with those preferences in mind. They raised a happy family there. But the tabloids have only abounded with off-putting tales of the later Russian owner who barely, if ever, lived there and who spent years trying to unload it as an investment property.

In California, H&M have a very comfortable, wealthy lifestyle, but it's not overly grand. It's laid-back and down-to-earth. Meghan is a California girl who loves to work hard, and she also loves giving back to others and lifting up those less privileged than she has worked to become. Her head isn't turned by tiaras and ballgowns. She has a lot more substance and character than some people seem willing or able to acknowledge.

There is an interesting article in The Spectator (Australia), which observed:
"The royals, and those who surround them, still can’t see what they have jettisoned. It will be on display when Meghan and Harry’s interview with Oprah is broadcast."

https://www.spectator.com.au/2021/02...ry-and-meghan/
Old 02-22-2021, 12:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
What are the chances Archie might be on screen and we get a proper look at him?
I found this screenshot of an article (that I'm unsure of) on the senior CBS source (again unsure about the reliability). It stated that viewers could expect some footages of Archie that were filmed recently in the Sussex's family home. That section of the article also mentioned about the possible topics in Oprah's interviews.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuxCIf1W...g&name=900x900
Old 02-22-2021, 01:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
If HMQ or the PoW had come out publicly against Harry and Meghan's marriage they wouid have been branded as racists around the world. The condemnation would have been immediate and unforgiving. The entire BRF would have been "cancelled" on Social Media.

I am 100% convinced of this. And I say it as a WOC.

The die was cast the day that TV starlet (I forget her name) introduced Harry to Meghan. There was no turning back.
The exact details of how M&H met have not been specifically or chronologically detailed. We do know that the mutual friend responsible for introducing them is not a 'TV starlet.' Where did you get that notion?

The photographer, Misan Harriman, mentioned in the pregnancy announcement Instagram post how Meghan had once reminded him that his introducing her to a mutual friend had led to her meeting Prince Harry.

I believe that Harriman possibly introduced Meghan to Markus Anderson who later introduced Meghan to Misha Nonoo. It is widely believed that Nonoo is the key person who thought Meghan & Harry should meet. Reportedly, another friend of Harry's who worked for Ralph Lauren in 2016, Violet von Westenholz, was also instrumental in setting up the meeting between Meghan & Harry at Soho House (with Anderson's help).

Nonoo is a fashion designer with friends who include Paul McCartney, David Geffen, Joshua Kushner & Karlie Kloss, et al. Nonoo's current husband is oil heir, Mikey Hess. Nonoo's wedding to Hess in 2019, was attended by a number of A-list guests, including Princess Beatrice and The Sussexes. Nonoo's connection to Harry was through her first husband, Alexander Gilkes, a former schoolmate of William and Harry. Nonoo once said in an interview that she met Meghan at an arts-related luncheon event in Miami, in December 2014.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
I remember reading an article shortly after George or Charlotte was born, which stated that Harry said he only have a few years left before William's kids stole the spotlight from him. I always thought that statement was a bit odd and almost sound passive-aggressive, especially coming from a guy who was supposedly friendly to all children. But then again, we haven't seen pictures of Harry interacting with the Cambridge kids, so Harry might not be as close to the Cambridges as we would like to think.
I think that's evidence that Harry wanted to be top dog.. not necessarily king but the most popular royal.. and I think that yes, when Will started to have kids, Harry became aware that in a few more years, those children would indeed steal his spotlight, and he'd become the second banana, the older middle aged Harry who was no long the most popular...so probalby all this has been brewing for a few years, the feeling that he doesn't want to be second, third fourth best.. and when Meg came along, he saw the opportunity to get out and have a different life, where he or he and Meg can be top dogs...
Old 02-22-2021, 06:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
Many people don't know where Liechtenstein is, let alone their royal family.
Very true, and I'd venture to say especially true in the USA.
Believe it or not, I recently had a woman ask me if there are any monarchies other than Britain and Monaco!
Old 02-22-2021, 07:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post

I firmly believe H&M wanted this interview more than Oprah. And if Oprah has scruples, H&M may very well turn to someone who have fewer qualms.

As you said, the interview is aimed at an American audience and it is part in my opinion of Meghan's strategy of building up a base of support in the US where she is now located and making a living for herself and her family.

Americans of course are likely to see the current rift between the Sussexes and the Palace in a very different light than the people in the UK and are probably more likely to buy into Meghan's narrative, which is what I think she will try to push during the interview.

Just to illustrate, Maria Shriver (JFK's niece, former wife of Arnold Schwarzenegger, and NBC special correspondent) has apparently weighed in on the matter quoting the Sussexes' line about "universal service" (in the context of a donation made by H&M to victims of the winter weather in Texas), see

https://twitter.com/mariashriver/sta...08756208238593

That is exactly the kind of message that Meghan wants to disseminate via media personalities and influencers in the US and the Oprah interview is the perfect opportunity to do it.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
As you said, the interview is aimed at an American audience and it is part in my opinion of Meghan's strategy of building up a base of support in the US where she is now located and making a living for herself and her family.

Americans of course are likely to see the current rift between the Sussexes and the Palace in a very different light than the people in the UK and are probably more likely to buy into Meghan's narrative, which is what I think she will try to push during the interview.

Just to illustrate, Maria Shriver (JFK's niece, former wife of Arnold Schwarzenegger, and NBC special correspondent) has apparently weighed in on the matter quoting the Sussexes' line about "universal service" (in the context of a donation made by H&M to victims of the winter weather in Texas), see

https://twitter.com/mariashriver/sta...08756208238593

That is exactly the kind of message that Meghan wants to disseminate via media personalities and influencers in the US and the Oprah interview is the perfect opportunity to do it.
Meghan hasn’t a prayer of reaching the majority of American people; the only ones who will support her are fans...IMO. I can’t repeat enough how Americans don’t want to hear her whining about what a tough life she has. I don’t think this interview will help her “cause”.

I like Maria, I love the Kennedys, but her passive aggressive shade towards BRF pisses me off
Old 02-22-2021, 07:49 AM
Serene Highness

Today's papers suggest that part of the interview is being re-shot, because Harry and Meghan didn't anticipate being unable to continue with their royal patronages and so that subject didn't come up. They really did think they could have their cake and eat it!

The fact that they're, it would seem, going to be asked how they feel about it does suggest a whingefest rather than anything positive about their new work.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:57 AM
Serene Highness

Oprah with Meghan and Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Today's papers suggest that part of the interview is being re-shot, because Harry and Meghan didn't anticipate being unable to continue with their royal patronages and so that subject didn't come up. They really did think they could have their cake and eat it!

The fact that they're, it would seem, going to be asked how they feel about it does suggest a whingefest rather than anything positive about their new work.

Oh wow, I thought it was only edited with bits being cut out! I guess reshooting the interview would be better if too many clips/bits are being cut out. I wonder what would happen if the Sussexes do the interview with Oprah live rather than pre-recorded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Meghan hasn’t a prayer of reaching the majority of American people; the only ones who will support her are fans...IMO. I can’t repeat enough how Americans don’t want to hear her whining about what a tough life she has. I don’t think this interview will help her “cause”.

I like Maria, I love the Kennedys, but her passive aggressive shade towards BRF pisses me off
I have to agree with you Betsypaige, Maria is very passive-aggressive in her tweet. It just throwing mud at The Queen and other members of the Royal Family who continuously served the UK with little or no fuss.

As for Meghan felt being voiceless in the Firm, that is the price that working Royals have to pay by not airing publicly their political opinions or social views.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Has it been confirmed that the reshooting part is due to the verdict being reached that they will no longer hold their royal patronages (official "Firm" related patronages) and not perhaps because of Philip's illness and stay in the hospital?

As this interview is to be aired *after* Philip's stay in the hospital (and hopefully released soon) and it was filmed before that news broke, perhaps they want to give the impression that the interview is a more recent one closer to air date? How many people are avidly seeking information about this upcoming interview other than avid fans of H&M and royal watchers like us?

Just wondering and expressing thoughts with my fingers this morning.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Oh wow, I thought it was only edited with bits being cut out! I guess reshooting the interview would be better if too many clips/bits are being cut out. I wonder what would happen if the Sussexes do the interview with Oprah live rather than pre-recorded.

I have to agree with you Betsypaige, Maria is very passive-aggressive in her tweet. It just throwing mud at The Queen and other members of the Royal Family who continuously served the UK with little or no fuss.

As for Meghan felt being voiceless in the Firm, that is the price that working Royals have to pay by not airing publicly their political opinions or social views.
Maria’s family has paid a desperate cost in leading lives of service, so I don’t want to be overly harsh, but yeah, it’s just essentially another American feeling sorry for H and M for how the big, bad BRF treated them. H and M want this sympathy, hence their passive aggressive statement...they do this ALL the time.

Closed Thread