The Duke and Duchess of Sussex with Oprah I - Pre-interview, Feb-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually we have a pretty good idea of their favorability rate in the UK based on national polls and we know it has dropped dramaticallly over the past year.

True.. which is why I think this interview with Oprah is important for them as it will reach out ot their American fan base...

As I said in an older post, 'service' is a word that has a very broad meaning and Maria Shriver is obviously assuming that broad definition in her tweet. The meaning of 'service' in the context of the dispute between the Sussexes and the Palace is, however, much narrower and the Sussexes took it out of context to deliver a cheap shot against the RF and present it in a way that would lead most Americans, who are unware of the context, to react probably like Maria.

That kind of PR stunt won't fly in the UK, but it works in America.
I know I did, I read “n stepping away from the work of the Royal family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service...” to mean just what it said, I suppose others mentally added the qualifier “with a life of public service [for the Royal family]” which would not have been offensive, IMO. But as written, “it’ could refer to anyone - they should have written “it is not possible [for the Sussexes] to...”. Thus when I read the statement I was offended because it suggested that only Royals were capable of assuming the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service. I dedicated 3 decades of my working life to a type of public service - was BP claiming that wasn’t possible or my life’s work was somehow less than or that only members of the RF were capable of dedicating their lives to public service, it seemed at first blush to be a very elitist statement to my American eyes. I assume that’s not what BP intended to communicate, but it is what they wrote.
I have been watching a lot of British TV lately and every once in awhile there’ll be a word or phrase used that doesn’t quite mean the same to my American ears - the most recent example is the word ‘homely’ which in British design shows seems to mean cozy or home like whereas I think the word means ugly or unattractive, I guess it’s like that famous line in the movie The Princess Bride “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

Last edited:
Very few people live a life (not just years or even decades but from day 1 until death) of public service...

Many people will serve others during their life but without dedicating ALL of their life (be it short or long - as the queen herself said) to that goal without the expectation of earning a professional income from it (something that clearly differentiates the Sussexes from the senior royals). For example, the queen won't earn 'more' if she works harder; her ultimate goal is how she may best serve the country (instead of how best to take care of herself - if that were the case, she would have retired decades ago). That's the responsibility that all of the senior royals have and that is expected of those marrying into the family... Unfortunately, that conviction of duty and responsibility was not shared by Meghan and Harry although their engagement interview suggested otherwise.

Very few people live a life (not just years or even decades but from day 1 until death) of public service...

Many people will serve others during their life but without dedicating ALL of their life (be it short or long - as the queen herself said) to that goal without the expectation of earning a professional income from it (something that clearly differentiates the Sussexes from the senior royals). For example, the queen won't earn 'more' if she works harder; her ultimate goal is how she may best serve the country (instead of how best to take care of herself - if that were the case, she would have retired decades ago). That's the responsibility that all of the senior royals have and that is expected of those marrying into the family... Unfortunately, that conviction of duty and responsibility was not shared by Meghan and Harry although their engagement interview suggested otherwise.
to be fair, its an old fashioned idea, in a way.. that someone born to wealth and a certain position should dedicate a large portion of their life to charity and service. M and harry had a decent enough fortune, and the expectation was that they would not spend their time trying to increase their income, but spend their time in service to the nation.. and I think Meg couldn't understand taht,

YouGov polls about Meghan have mostly always been negative about Meghan. Nothing new about that. But as you said (and I agree), people who like them will still support and those who don't won't. I don't think much has really changed either way but time will tell if/when they do return to the UK.

Actually the YouGov polls and favorability ratings for Meghan Markle and later Duchess of Sussex from the engagement announcement up until mid-2020 were very good.

Well, the Royal family aren’t paid a salary like normal folks, but they are supported by funds over and above their personal wealth in exchange for their ‘service’ based on long & complex traditions. Moreover, w/ the younger generations, their life of ‘public service’ doesn’t really begin until after their youth - William & Harry were allowed to ‘grow up’ w/out official duties for much longer than previous generations. But undoubtedly it’s nuances such as these that contributed to the differing reactions to the statement from BP.

It's a shame Ms Shriver didn't educate herself about these nuances before she decided to stir the pot. I had no idea who she was but now I do. She's an educated & accomplished figure so she should have known better. Higher standards are expected from such individuals. Really most unhelpful to put it mildly.

Ironic to think that her grandfather was once the US Ambassador to the Court of St James's

Last edited:
Okay, are you going to watch the interview when it will be aired, either live or later?

- For me the answer is that I will not watch it live, even if it was possible, which I doubt.
I want to know what goes on in the interview and then I'll decide.

Having said that I'm pretty certain that I will watch a recording later. Simply to learn firsthand how they answer the questions, their body language, their mutual interaction and of course what topics are brought up and how.
I think that will answer a number of questions and either confirm or refute a number of impressions I have about the couple. Because this is an interview H&M wanted and on their home ground so to speak. They are not facing a "hostile" British press - they will be addressing a "friendly" interviewer. That I think will be a significant difference from previous engagement H&M have had with the press in recent time.

It doesn't mean I'm likely to like or dislike them even more than I already do. For me this will be a cold and analytical observation.

I will be watching the Oprah interview whenever it is shown on Australian TV or on YouTube etc, whichever is first. And I will enjoy seeing them. I've followed Harry's life and duties in the army and out of it, for 17 years in Britain and in Australia.

That said, I do not believe that the interview will change any opinions here on TRF. Those that like the couple will, I believe, continue to do so and will find their opinions confirmed. Those who choose to dislike the Sussexes, the majority of posters here on the Sussex threads, will, I think, find things to criticise in the interview and will post on those.

Let's return to the topic of this thread, which is the interview of Oprah Winfrey with the duke and duchess of Sussex.

In-depth analysis of popularity ratings in the UK and the US do not fall within the range of this thread unless they are directly linked to the interview.

Some OT posts have been deleted.

Last edited:
I'm certainly not getting up in the middle of the night to watch it, but, if it's shown on TV here, I'll record it and watch it later. There's bound to be a lot of talk about it, and I'd rather make my own mind up than go off what the press say.

Having said that I'm pretty certain that I will watch a recording later. Simply to learn firsthand how they answer the questions, their body language, their mutual interaction and of course what topics are brought up and how.
I think that will answer a number of questions and either confirm or refute a number of impressions I have about the couple...

Well, Meghan is a professional actress. Just sayin'! And the Prince grew up in the spotlight: He can hide or pretend emotions probably as good as Meghan!

I think, the biggest factor is, that Oprah is perceived as "friendly". Prince Andrew in his last "trainwreck" interview thought that about the interviewer probably too...

But why should Oprah go against the Golden Goose, in which she has invested some?

Okay, are you going to watch the interview when it will be aired, either live or later?

- For me the answer is that I will not watch it live, even if it was possible, which I doubt.
I want to know what goes on in the interview and then I'll decide.

I think that will answer a number of questions and either confirm or refute a number of impressions I have about the couple. Because this is an interview H&M wanted and on their home ground so to speak. They are not facing a "hostile" British press - they will be addressing a "friendly" interviewer. That I think will be a significant difference from previous engagement H&M have had with the press in recent time.

It doesn't mean I'm likely to like or dislike them even more than I already do. For me this will be a cold and analytical observation.

I know I will not watch it when it airs on CBS. I'm more into "streaming" these days and rarely glance at the TV set which, very happily, is hubby's domain. Maybe at some future time, down the line, I'll stream it. CBS does stream their programming the next day without cost (cbs.com). My information on it though will mostly be people's reactions to it here which I am *positive* will touch on every word, every nuance, every eye wiggle and every "ummmm.." hesitation. It's what we do. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. They (the media) say that they're holding the footage in a vault and that even the Queen and Meghan and Harry don't know what the final interview looks like. They said that CBS is putting a lot of stock in lots of people watching this.

I think that's evidence that Harry wanted to be top dog.. not necessarily king but the most popular royal.. and I think that yes, when Will started to have kids, Harry became aware that in a few more years, those children would indeed steal his spotlight, and he'd become the second banana, the older middle aged Harry who was no long the most popular...so probalby all this has been brewing for a few years, the feeling that he doesn't want to be second, third fourth best.. and when Meg came along, he saw the opportunity to get out and have a different life, where he or he and Meg can be top dogs...

I think Harry adores children. I don't think he feels that way about his niece and nephews. I don't think children really steal the spotlights and the main focus IMO is on their elders. Some of the children like Edward's are kept out of the spotlight. I think each royal has his or her own fans. Some may always find Harry the most intriguing some may find the York Princesses the most interesting and so on. That said, I think Harry and Meghan will speak glowingly to Oprah about Archie and talk about how they look forward to having the second child.

I don't know. They (the media) say that they're holding the footage in a vault and that even the Queen and Meghan and Harry don't know what the final interview looks like. They said that CBS is putting a lot of stock in lots of people watching this. But even though they have a core of "rabid" fans out there I don't think the public as a whole in the US care that much about them one way or another. I don't know about other countries.

Honestly I believe it will depend upon if it's a slow news day or not.

I don't know. They (the media) say that they're holding the footage in a vault and that even the Queen and Meghan and Harry don't know what the final interview looks like. They said that CBS is putting a lot of stock in lots of people watching this.

I'm going to use my own household as an example here. When it comes to anything happening in the BRF, my hubby finds it almost an impossibility to be the one to relate "breaking news" to me as usually it'll hit here before the average American hears about it elsewhere. However, he did get the jump on me with George's birth because I was literally sleeping on the job of royal watching. :D

He most definitely does know who Harry is, but for the life of him, cannot ever remember what Meghan's name is. If asked, I doubt he could name all four of the Queen's children. He is as likely to tune into this interview as he is to watching episodes of "Say Yes To The Dress". However, if Oprah was also, during that 90 minute time slot, going to interview Stevie Yzerman and Dylan Larkin (Detroit Red Wings hockey), he'd have all ears and eyes on the TV set.

It's all in what draws a person's interest. With today's multitude of channels and different ways of viewing what we're interested in, I'd have to say that to watch this CBS interview with Harry and Meghan, most people viewing will have some kind of a previous interest in them.

Just my thoughts.

... I don't know if this has been discussed elsewhere, but Ship revealed that ITV knew about the interview deal being worked out between the Sussexes and Oprah (before the pregnancy announcement was released)... he said ITV contacted the Sussexes to let them know ITV was going to broadcast and publish the information. Ship contends that's the reason why M&H decided to send out the pregnancy announcement when they did. According to Ship, the announcement was not originally planned to be released on Valentine's Day. As well, Ship says that the interview contract with Oprah was subsequently 'hurried' to completion and CBS broke the news to avoid ITV scooping it before them.

I want to correct my above post regarding Chris Ship's claims. Brian Slater of CBS has refuted what Ship said. Apparently, CBS pre-released information about the interview to major news outlets, including ITV, just as a heads-up before they made their official announcement. Ship inserted himself into the narrative apparently, by contacting the Sussexes' reps. Ship's supposition regarding the Sussexes rearranging their plans in scheduling the birth announcement seems to have been entirely made up by Ship.

In regard to a few posters' earlier comments about Maria Shriver's tweet. IMO, Shriver is obviously simply agreeing with the Sussexes' harmless comments about 'service' being 'universal.' Shriver comes from a wealthy American political family who have made service to others a major priority all of their lives. In no way is Shriver's tweet an insult to HM the Queen.

Why does anyone wish to characterize it that way??? In fact, it seems to me that there is an inordinate amount of defensiveness going on by the courtiers, members of the BRF, and the U.K. media in staking unnecessary opposition to anything and everything Meghan and Harry do or say. There is an especially negative and spiteful attitude directed toward Meghan. The Sussexes are only interested in living their lives independently with the freedom to speak out on behalf of the charitable causes they are passionate about. That M&H happen to be attractive, charismatic people who are deeply in love, is what it is. That's not something that will ever change.

I don't think that the "public" - UK or US - is the target audience that Harry and Megan are trying to reach. They are establishing their credentials as philanthropists and influencers on the world stage, and Oprah is the ideal conduit. This is more a wily business move than a Royal Family "tell-all" or "explain-all" interview which the media is hoping to see. They won't be looking back or explaining the decisions which got them where they are today. They will be forward looking and full of plans and ideas for the future. Just my humble opinion.

The reality is that if the BRF were to go after every negative story, every insult and every fabrication that the press can come up with, they'd have to expand their office staff by the hundreds who would solely devote their time 24/7 to going after the press. The BRF and it's members have been the target of yellow journalism since the concept was first conceived. Not only the Sussexes.

I'm not saying that, in hindsight, *not* saying something or issuing a statement publicly against the press for the treatment of the Sussexes was the best move to make but it's the one they made. No one could have predicted how nasty and vile it would get nor predict the end results of it.

There are a ton of articles attributing 'angry' feelings to specific members of the royal family. By the BRF's omission in remaining silent and allowing certain reporters and tabloids to pen article after article full of criticisms and negative quotes from palace sources against Meghan & Harry, the attacks are being condoned.

My personal thoughts, IMO, is that the "Firm" cannot "allow" or "disallow" what the press prints. I don't feel they "condoned" anything. Even if they *had* responded in any way, shape or form to press hyperbole daily, they would have been reacting and feeding the frenzy that the yellow press feeds on.

I, too, would like to see verbatim statements issued by anyone associated with the "Firm". "Palace sources" and "sources close to the palace" and "a high ranking official at Buckingham Palace" doesn't work for me at all. ;)

I don't think that the "public" - UK or US - is the target audience that Harry and Megan are trying to reach. They are establishing their credentials as philanthropists and influencers on the world stage, and Oprah is the ideal conduit. This is more a wily business move than a Royal Family "tell-all" or "explain-all" interview which the media is hoping to see. They won't be looking back or explaining the decisions which got them where they are today. They will be forward looking and full of plans and ideas for the future. Just my humble opinion.

I'm leaning towards this as well or to put it blunt:
I think it will basically be a very high-end "Tell-Sell" with themselves as the product they are selling.

There are plenty of articles questioning the Oprah interview which mischaracterize M&H and Oprah. Plus a ton of articles attributing direct quotes to members of BRF re their 'angry' feelings about Harry and Meghan. There are no obvious vocal direct attacks by any senior member of the BRF, but there have been a ton of public attacks by RR, and some by certain BRF members' relatives, aside from Meghan's family. It's researchable online.

Moving on, the below development is interesting:
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/02/the-queen-harry-meghan-television-conflict

There is something afoot - over the last week 2 of M&H 's staff have had meetings with the royal rota. It seems that the Sussex's are making nice with the press. I have been told it is for favourable coverage of the birth, when they come back to the UK and their other endeavors. Sky, BBC and ITV want interviews.

But here is the really odd thing - CBS and Harpo have talking to the press as well.

There are plenty of articles questioning the Oprah interview which mischaracterize M&H and Oprah. Plus a ton of articles attributing direct quotes to members of BRF re their 'angry' feelings about Harry and Meghan. There are no obvious vocal direct attacks by any senior member of the BRF, but there have been a ton of public attacks by RR, and some by certain BRF members' relatives, aside from Meghan's family. It's researchable online.

Moving on, the below development is interesting:
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/02/the-queen-harry-meghan-television-conflict

Nothing here to see really. The Queen delivers a speech every year to celebrate Commonwealth Day. You can see them on YouTube if you care to. This speech yearly is as expected as the Queen's Christmas Message on Christmas Day every year without fail. The Commonwealth of Nations is something very near and dear to the Queen's heart.

I would even go as far as to suggest that the Commonwealth Day speech was planned long before Harry and Meghan's interview date was picked.

It's what is happening and there's no sinister motive behind any of it that I could deduce. :D

Nothing here to see really. The Queen delivers a speech every year to celebrate Commonwealth Day. You can see them on YouTube if you care to. This speech yearly is as expected as the Queen's Christmas Message on Christmas Day every year without fail. The Commonwealth of Nations is something very near and dear to the Queen's heart.

I would even go as far as to suggest that the Commonwealth Day speech was planned long before Harry and Meghan's interview date was picked.

It's what is happening and there's no sinister motive behind any of it that I could deduce. :D

ETA: I stand corrected. The Queen has a Commonwealth Day "message" every year. Not necessarily televised. Pardon my confusion, please.

This thread has been cleaned up and is now re-opened.

Several posts had to be deleted as multiple requests to stay on topic were ignored.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when/if it will be broadcast in the UK?

Does anyone know when/if it will be broadcast in the UK?
Not sure but according to this article the BBC is not bidding for it though Sky and ITV might be interested.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/global/meghan-markle-harry-oprah-interview-uk-1234913039/

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s first major interview since splitting with the British Royal Family has sparked a hot bidding war in the U.K. for rights to air the highly coveted sit-down.
Sources tell Variety that Comcast-backed pay-TV operator Sky and free-to-air player ITV are bidding for the CBS primetime special, hosted by Oprah Winfrey. It’s not believed that streaming giants Amazon or Netflix are in the running.
As of Tuesday evening, a BBC source has confirmed that the public broadcaster is not involved in the process. “The BBC is not involved in a bidding war on this.”

The Queen is not overshadowing her grandson's interview. Her Commonwealth program was planned for that date months ago. Sick and tired of people saying the Queen has done this and is doing this. No, I do not know her and no one on this forum does either, but she does not seem to be the type of person who deliberately upstages someone else or plays these games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom