The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 06:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Sometimes in the first stages of love you can be blinded about the implications your choice makes. Such as "As we love each other it will be easy to solve any problems"

Old 02-21-2021, 06:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Misled by whom? By her husband ? Or by her own American misconceptions about the Royal Family? I doubt any of the courtiers or any senior member of the RF such as the Prince of Wales or the Queen would ever misinform her on the role she was expected to play in the UK or the Commonwealth.

So I don't think it is a question of being misled or deceived, but rather Meghan's own frustration with the role she was given compared to what she imagined she would or should have. Again, if anybody is to be blamed for that misunderstanding, I would point fingers at Harry who didn't explain the role and the constraints of the job clearly to his future wife. Surprisingly, maybe Harry himself didn't understand his role either, judging from his seemingly negative reaction to William's higher profile in the Firm.
I think she may well feel or claim to feel that she was misled.. that it wasn't explained ot her properly, that she didn't know about the tabloids and the RF in general and that after the first flush of enthusiasm, she was being told "oh no you can't do this or that" and it got to her...

Old 02-21-2021, 06:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think she may well feel or claim to feel that she was misled.. that it wasn't explained ot her properly, that she didn't know about the tabloids and the RF in general and that after the first flush of enthusiasm, she was being told "oh no you can't do this or that" and it got to her...

But, again, prior to her getting married, it fell primarily on Harry to explain all that to Meghan, and he did a lousy job apparently.

After she formally joined the Firm, I am pretty sure her role and what she could or could not do were explained very clearly to her. The courtiers are pros after all.

In fact, from the courtiers' point of view, I wouldn't be surprised if they expressed frustration with those deception claims (if Meghan says that to Oprah) as many of them are alleged to have said that Meghan was actually given more support and coaching than some of her predecessors who joined the Family and still she keeps whining about it.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:01 AM
Majesty

I suspect, if she sincerely believes this.. then, she DID get instruction but kept on thinking that she could still do as she wanted in due course.. that she might have to wait a bit but she would be able to make political comments, make money on the side, drop in and out of royal life, etc.. and when she began to see that no she really couldn't, she wanted a formal recognition that she was getting out...
I wont say what I suspect was the real truth because its been discussed before....
Old 02-21-2021, 07:41 AM
Courtier

I have the feeling, she thought she and Harry would be as grand in housing an money and everything else as William & Cathrine - and she didn't wanna see that their role are diffrent - and in the english systhem they are treated very diffrently by default.

As she seems to have an inflated(californian) sense of herself it could only go downhill...

She also has a tradition of cutting off those whom she not perceves as to be 100% on her side ... she has no qualms throwing the Firm and the Queen under the bus.

She is IMHO intellectual.y and personality wise the leading part in the relationship - Harry seems to me a 'trooper' and not the leader type - so he will go where she leads.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
According to Roya Nikkhah on the Sunday Times, Harry & Meghan's interview with Oprah was filmed on Tuesday, three days before the Palace announcement that the Sussexes' royal patronages and honorary military title will be redistributed. Roya Nikkhah even mentioned that this interview is very explosive like the Panorama's with Diana, which I think is an exaggeration.

Hide behind sofa, royals told as Harry and Meghan tell Oprah everything
Duchess given top billing by US network for TV interview to be broadcast next month
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...view-xpq00sxhn
I’m sick to my stomach. Airing of grievances is bad enough, but it sounds like Meghan wants revenge for some of the basic rules she was asked to abide by. She shouldn’t have married Harry if she not only couldn’t deal with them, but was also going to be so bitterly resentful.

Here are some excerpts from the Times article. According to the Times also, William is angry at H and M’s response to the recent BP statement about them not returning to working life. I’ll post excerpts here if anyone wants, but suffice to say that he won’t be happy with this interview...I don’t think anyone will. I feel so sorry for Charles and HM.

Oh and as to audience ? I’m sure it will do well because it’s Oprah, but like I said earlier, the vast majority of Americans don’t care about the Royals. I don’t think any of us wants to hear about how terrible their life is as we deal with the pandemic and many other crises while they live in their multi-million dollar hideaway.

From the Times:

Quote:
In this transatlantic war of words, they will attempt to have the final say with Winfrey, 67. “Time to hide behind the sofa at the palace,” said a royal source. “Oprah is skilled at getting people to talk about their feelings and bound to take them down a path they’ll almost certainly regret. There will be an element of reliving Megxit and airing their grievances. No one benefits from that, but Oprah will get it out of them whether they like it or not.”
A person who knows the couple said: “When they first started dating Meghan felt she had lost her voice. She had had a platform as a moderately successful actress, and when she was told to stop using her social media and be careful what she said, I could tell that loss of voice and independence pained her.
Having an institutional voice within the royal family wasn’t enough. This interview will be the loudest way she’ll get her voice back.”

Winfrey’s careful three-year courtship has finally paid off. As she prepared to film the interview last week, the CBS news presenter Gayle King — a friend of Winfrey and the Sussexes who was a guest at Meghan’s 2019 New York baby shower — said: “Nothing is off-limits, she can ask anything she wants.” Brace yourselves.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Maybe it's just as well Meghan and Harry are doing this interview and getting it over with.
I expect there will be a big audience for it- and then, it'll be over.

No one will be interested in a rehash of the same old grievances. So interest will wane, and that will be that- they'll be irrelevant.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Maybe it's just as well Meghan and Harry are doing this interview and getting it over with.
I expect there will be a big audience for it- and then, it'll be over.

No one will be interested in a rehash of the same old grievances. So interest will wane, and that will be that- they'll be irrelevant.
There can’t be any “getting it over with” ..depending on what they say.

This is from the article I mentioned before...Most of the article isn’t about William’s anger, actually...I’m posting these bits because it’s interviews like this one that make it impossible to separate the personal from the “business”.

Quote:
“There is a genuine desire for things to get back to normal and for it to be about family, rather than the fractured element around the work and business relationship.”

A source close to the Sussexes said: “Both sides see that there’s a difference between the personal relationship they have in the family and the professional relationship in terms of the family business.”
Old 02-21-2021, 08:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
There can’t be any “getting it over with” ..depending on what they say.

This is from the article I mentioned before...Most of the article isn’t about William’s anger, actually...I’m posting these bits because it’s interviews like this one that make it impossible to separate the personal from the “business”.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Maybe that is what William had been trying to tell Harry, possibly in a clumsy fashion.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Maybe that is what William had been trying to tell Harry, possibly in a clumsy fashion.
What do you mean ?
Old 02-21-2021, 09:09 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
What do you mean ?
To take his time, be sure, which , and this part is my opinion it would have given Meghan time to really understand the family/ firm.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
To take his time, be sure, which , and this part is my opinion it would have given Meghan time to really understand the family/ firm.
I believe that you might be on to something Hallo girl. I wonder if William and possibly Catherine, Charles, Camilla etc..had gleaned from conversations with Meghan, that her impressions of royal life were very different from the reality. And she didn't truly understand the parameters and the constraints that came with marrying into the BRF. Therefore that sparked William's words of advice to Harry.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:35 AM
Serene Highness

This is still quite a new situation. Neither Prince Philip (initially) nor the Earl of Snowdon were expected to become full time working royals on marriage. In the generation before them, an earl's daughter like the Queen Mother would have expected to spend her life doing charity work etc regardless of whom she'd married, and was already familiar with royal circles anyway. Diana, Sarah and Sophie were the first ones who really had big changes to make. Neither Diana nor Sarah were actually doing that much before marriage, and they were part of royal circles to some extent anyway. Sophie, marrying the third son, wasn't in the limelight in the same way, and both she and Kate were with their future husbands for years before they got married. It's no wonder that things were difficult for Meghan - but hitting out in books, and in TV interviews if that's what's going to happen, isn't going to help. It's just going to create more bad feeling.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Not having a voice?

Well, she sure had the platform! And over time she would directly and indirectly have had a voice, albeit within certain limits. Just like others who have married into royal families and slowly been able to really voice themselves about topics that is dear to them.
No royals are free to talk about everything and certainly not newcomers.

If Meghan is going to - pardon me - moan about not being allowed that, this interview is doomed to crash big time. On that topic alone.
I could perhaps understand her point of view if she had toiled tirelessly within the BRF for fifteen years and was still only allowed to kiss babies and speak up about flower arrangements. Then you could present an argument that it might be a frustrating waste of her talents.
But she was still a learner when H&M decided to quit the BRF.

This Oprah interview is like watching someone put on a blindfold, determined to dance through a minefield! Any reasonably competent PR advisors would rather shoot themselves then recommending this interview.
Remember the terms: Nothing is off limit.

So why on earth are they doing it?!?

Two things springs to my mind:
A) They have to.
Due to Corona and other issues in the news they are rapidly becoming irrelevant. Corona has prevented them from appearing here, there and everywhere. They have so much become yesterdays news.
The only skills, the only talents they have, are themselves, their history and Harry's status.
They are amateurs in professional fundraising and in setting up large scale charities - presenting is not the same as organizing. They don't have an organization behind them. None of them AFAIK have any education in law, economy or organization to speak of.
There are no one to protect them from the sharks out there.

As for the Netflex deal. That's a mirage. How many are interested in following two de facto ex-royals running around, trying to be altruistic? Not least considering the reality TV competition out there. There are people who would happily participate in Russian roulette on a weekly basis! And H&M should somehow be more interesting and fascinating than that? - Keep dreaming.
The same thing with book deals and appearances in various talk-shows.
At best they will become talk-show hosts themselves...

B) The second thing that springs to my mind is unfortunately more ominous:
They both have an overinflated view of themselves. A delusional view actually.
And this cannot be because Harry has fallen under the spell of a manipulative Meghan. - He may have met his match in Meghan, she may not exactly have helped, but it cannot only be Meghan's fault.
I used to like Harry. I do however increasingly believe that I read him wrong.
Meghan may have an inflated view of herself, but it's IMO no less than the inflated view Harry has of himself.
I suspect that Harry believe that he could do the job just as well as his brother, if not better, and that he should be treated accordingly. That is given a similar status and a similar influence and a corresponding voice so to speak as William.
I think we have all, without exception, met that type of person.
But that's now how it works in a strict hierarchical structure as a royal family. And realizing that he will never be "equal to the caliph" Harry IMO reacted with frustration and perhaps even jealousy.
Whether Megan was the trigger that brought these latent frustrations out in the open and/or whether she helped confirming his view of his "destiny" is open to debate.
- It really is frustrating looking at yourself in the mirror seeing how brilliant you and your ideas are, that other people don't see it.
After all, when you are brilliant, setbacks simply cannot be your fault. They have to be caused by someone else. That someone else could very well be William, so Harry vents his frustration, his disappointment, his jealousy towards William. His brother who "betrayed" him. His brother who prevents him from shine.

There is IMO no other way that I can think of right now of explaining Harry's downright irrational behavior. Because he is an adult man who knows the workings of the system intimately from within.

At best this interview is going to be embarrassing. But I don't believe so.
Oprah is too professional to let this opportunity fizzle out into 90 minutes of boring talk about visions and dreams of a better world and Harry changing nappies.
No, we are gonna see Harry come marching into the studio with Archie on his arm with violins going at full throttle and we are going to hear some juicy details about H&M's split from the BRF.
After what does she owe them?
AFAIK she was not a personal friend of neither Meghan nor Harry, nor has she seemingly visited them on a regular basis. She merely got an invite to their wedding.
Will she have any qualms about helping them to self-destruct if that's what they really want to? There are after all plenty of other hosts out there.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:58 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
No doubt about it.
They want to win over Americans. Most Americans don't give a damn about the Royal Family, but many did love Princess Diana and many of us do love William/Harry. The Sussex's biggest fans seem to be women who love that a bi-racial (Black) woman married into the Royal family.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess_Watcher View Post
They want to win over Americans. Most Americans don't give a damn about the Royal Family, but many did love Princess Diana and many of us do love William/Harry. The Sussex's biggest fans seem to be women who love that a bi-racial (Black) woman married into the Royal family.

I don't get that at all. Princess Angela of Lichtenstein has been around longer. Why not admire her?
Old 02-21-2021, 11:13 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I don't get that at all. Princess Angela of Lichtenstein has been around longer. Why not admire her?
The Lichtenstein family is too quiet. The British Royal family is the most popular in America, most American's can't name another Queen or King from another country, and many thought Meghan was the first black Princess/Duchess.

Also Princess Angela
Old 02-21-2021, 11:19 AM
Courtier

I don't think Harry had any negative reaction to William's higher profile. For one thing it will be years yet before Harry is King and Harry always knew that Wiliam would be the one to be King. I think Harry accepted this long ago. I think though there are some frustrations of "spares". Princess Margaret complained she was not given a better education as she grew up and so forth. With the Oprah interview, I don't think it will be a Dimbleby/Bashir sort of interview. I hope they talk about their charities. I would like to see them talk about their causes. Harry needs to speak up for veterans for instance and continue to be an advocate for them.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

I actually think that H WANTS to hurt the royals. I believe he is furious with how he perceives the way the Queen/Philip treated his Mum; furious with his Dad for breaking Diana's heart with Camilla and furious that he feels Meghan was not supported by them either. I don't think for one second he will hold back with Oprah, he simply dosn't care what the BRF think anymore (including his brother) and the way he answered the Queen back in his leaving statement proves it.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
At best this interview is going to be embarrassing. But I don't believe so.
Oprah is too professional to let this opportunity fizzle out into 90 minutes of boring talk about visions and dreams of a better world and Harry changing nappies.
No, we are gonna see Harry come marching into the studio with Archie on his arm with violins going at full throttle and we are going to hear some juicy details about H&M's split from the BRF.
After what does she owe them?
AFAIK she was not a personal friend of neither Meghan nor Harry, nor has she seemingly visited them on a regular basis. She merely got an invite to their wedding.
Will she have any qualms about helping them to self-destruct if that's what they really want to? There are after all plenty of other hosts out there.
Her not only being present but seated with the most important guests (i.e., in the choir, Meghan's colleagues of many years didn't even get that honor) could only be explained by her fame not by their relationship to her; so, it seems both parties are happy to exploit the 'connection' (relationship would be too big of a word) that was established because Meghan started dating Harry.

Closed Thread