The Duke and Duchess of Sussex with Oprah I - Pre-interview, Feb-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the chances Archie might be on screen and we get a proper look at him?

I found this screenshot of an article (that I'm unsure of) on the senior CBS source (again unsure about the reliability). It stated that viewers could expect some footages of Archie that were filmed recently in the Sussex's family home. That section of the article also mentioned about the possible topics in Oprah's interviews.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuxCIf1WgAkPGtA?format=jpg&name=900x900

If HMQ or the PoW had come out publicly against Harry and Meghan's marriage they wouid have been branded as racists around the world. The condemnation would have been immediate and unforgiving. The entire BRF would have been "cancelled" on Social Media.

I am 100% convinced of this. And I say it as a WOC.:ermm:

The die was cast the day that TV starlet (I forget her name) introduced Harry to Meghan. There was no turning back.

The exact details of how M&H met have not been specifically or chronologically detailed. We do know that the mutual friend responsible for introducing them is not a 'TV starlet.' Where did you get that notion?

The photographer, Misan Harriman, mentioned in the pregnancy announcement Instagram post how Meghan had once reminded him that his introducing her to a mutual friend had led to her meeting Prince Harry.

I believe that Harriman possibly introduced Meghan to Markus Anderson who later introduced Meghan to Misha Nonoo. It is widely believed that Nonoo is the key person who thought Meghan & Harry should meet. Reportedly, another friend of Harry's who worked for Ralph Lauren in 2016, Violet von Westenholz, was also instrumental in setting up the meeting between Meghan & Harry at Soho House (with Anderson's help).

Nonoo is a fashion designer with friends who include Paul McCartney, David Geffen, Joshua Kushner & Karlie Kloss, et al. Nonoo's current husband is oil heir, Mikey Hess. Nonoo's wedding to Hess in 2019, was attended by a number of A-list guests, including Princess Beatrice and The Sussexes. Nonoo's connection to Harry was through her first husband, Alexander Gilkes, a former schoolmate of William and Harry. Nonoo once said in an interview that she met Meghan at an arts-related luncheon event in Miami, in December 2014.

:twohearts:

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember reading an article shortly after George or Charlotte was born, which stated that Harry said he only have a few years left before William's kids stole the spotlight from him. I always thought that statement was a bit odd and almost sound passive-aggressive, especially coming from a guy who was supposedly friendly to all children. But then again, we haven't seen pictures of Harry interacting with the Cambridge kids, so Harry might not be as close to the Cambridges as we would like to think.

I think that's evidence that Harry wanted to be top dog.. not necessarily king but the most popular royal.. and I think that yes, when Will started to have kids, Harry became aware that in a few more years, those children would indeed steal his spotlight, and he'd become the second banana, the older middle aged Harry who was no long the most popular...so probalby all this has been brewing for a few years, the feeling that he doesn't want to be second, third fourth best.. and when Meg came along, he saw the opportunity to get out and have a different life, where he or he and Meg can be top dogs...

Many people don't know where Liechtenstein is, let alone their royal family.

Very true, and I'd venture to say especially true in the USA.
Believe it or not, I recently had a woman ask me if there are any monarchies other than Britain and Monaco!

I firmly believe H&M wanted this interview more than Oprah. And if Oprah has scruples, H&M may very well turn to someone who have fewer qualms.

As you said, the interview is aimed at an American audience and it is part in my opinion of Meghan's strategy of building up a base of support in the US where she is now located and making a living for herself and her family.

Americans of course are likely to see the current rift between the Sussexes and the Palace in a very different light than the people in the UK and are probably more likely to buy into Meghan's narrative, which is what I think she will try to push during the interview.

Just to illustrate, Maria Shriver (JFK's niece, former wife of Arnold Schwarzenegger, and NBC special correspondent) has apparently weighed in on the matter quoting the Sussexes' line about "universal service" (in the context of a donation made by H&M to victims of the winter weather in Texas), see

https://twitter.com/mariashriver/sta...08756208238593

That is exactly the kind of message that Meghan wants to disseminate via media personalities and influencers in the US and the Oprah interview is the perfect opportunity to do it.

Last edited:
As you said, the interview is aimed at an American audience and it is part in my opinion of Meghan's strategy of building up a base of support in the US where she is now located and making a living for herself and her family.

Americans of course are likely to see the current rift between the Sussexes and the Palace in a very different light than the people in the UK and are probably more likely to buy into Meghan's narrative, which is what I think she will try to push during the interview.

Just to illustrate, Maria Shriver (JFK's niece, former wife of Arnold Schwarzenegger, and NBC special correspondent) has apparently weighed in on the matter quoting the Sussexes' line about "universal service" (in the context of a donation made by H&M to victims of the winter weather in Texas), see

https://twitter.com/mariashriver/sta...08756208238593

That is exactly the kind of message that Meghan wants to disseminate via media personalities and influencers in the US and the Oprah interview is the perfect opportunity to do it.

Meghan hasn’t a prayer of reaching the majority of American people; the only ones who will support her are fans...IMO. I can’t repeat enough how Americans don’t want to hear her whining about what a tough life she has. I don’t think this interview will help her “cause”.

I like Maria, I love the Kennedys, but her passive aggressive shade towards BRF pisses me off

Today's papers suggest that part of the interview is being re-shot, because Harry and Meghan didn't anticipate being unable to continue with their royal patronages and so that subject didn't come up. They really did think they could have their cake and eat it!

The fact that they're, it would seem, going to be asked how they feel about it does suggest a whingefest rather than anything positive about their new work.

Oprah with Meghan and Harry

Today's papers suggest that part of the interview is being re-shot, because Harry and Meghan didn't anticipate being unable to continue with their royal patronages and so that subject didn't come up. They really did think they could have their cake and eat it!

The fact that they're, it would seem, going to be asked how they feel about it does suggest a whingefest rather than anything positive about their new work.

Oh wow, I thought it was only edited with bits being cut out! I guess reshooting the interview would be better if too many clips/bits are being cut out. I wonder what would happen if the Sussexes do the interview with Oprah live rather than pre-recorded.

Meghan hasn’t a prayer of reaching the majority of American people; the only ones who will support her are fans...IMO. I can’t repeat enough how Americans don’t want to hear her whining about what a tough life she has. I don’t think this interview will help her “cause”.

I like Maria, I love the Kennedys, but her passive aggressive shade towards BRF pisses me off

I have to agree with you Betsypaige, Maria is very passive-aggressive in her tweet. It just throwing mud at The Queen and other members of the Royal Family who continuously served the UK with little or no fuss.

As for Meghan felt being voiceless in the Firm, that is the price that working Royals have to pay by not airing publicly their political opinions or social views.

Last edited:
Has it been confirmed that the reshooting part is due to the verdict being reached that they will no longer hold their royal patronages (official "Firm" related patronages) and not perhaps because of Philip's illness and stay in the hospital?

As this interview is to be aired *after* Philip's stay in the hospital (and hopefully released soon) and it was filmed before that news broke, perhaps they want to give the impression that the interview is a more recent one closer to air date? How many people are avidly seeking information about this upcoming interview other than avid fans of H&M and royal watchers like us?

Just wondering and expressing thoughts with my fingers this morning. ?

Oh wow, I thought it was only edited with bits being cut out! I guess reshooting the interview would be better if too many clips/bits are being cut out. I wonder what would happen if the Sussexes do the interview with Oprah live rather than pre-recorded.

I have to agree with you Betsypaige, Maria is very passive-aggressive in her tweet. It just throwing mud at The Queen and other members of the Royal Family who continuously served the UK with little or no fuss.

As for Meghan felt being voiceless in the Firm, that is the price that working Royals have to pay by not airing publicly their political opinions or social views.

Maria’s family has paid a desperate cost in leading lives of service, so I don’t want to be overly harsh, but yeah, it’s just essentially another American feeling sorry for H and M for how the big, bad BRF treated them. H and M want this sympathy, hence their passive aggressive statement...they do this ALL the time.

of course they do, If they want to find a market in America, they have to subtly indicate that they are good people who could not fit into the RF and so they've now come to America to do good deeds...
I think some Americans will buy into the whole story, and will sympathise with them.. so they have a market for their TV shows etc.. and I suppose charities will be glad to receive donations...
But Im not sure how long the interest will last...

Last edited:
Maria’s family has paid a desperate cost in leading lives of service, so I don’t want to be overly harsh, but yeah, it’s just essentially another American feeling sorry for H and M for how the big, bad BRF treated them. H and M want this sympathy, hence their passive aggressive statement...they do this ALL the time.

As I said in an older post, 'service' is a word that has a very broad meaning and Maria Shriver is obviously assuming that broad definition in her tweet. The meaning of 'service' in the context of the dispute between the Sussexes and the Palace is, however, much narrower and the Sussexes took it out of context to deliver a cheap shot against the RF and present it in a way that would lead most Americans, who are unware of the context, to react probably like Maria.

That kind of PR stunt won't fly in the UK, but it works in America.

As I said in an older post, 'service' is a word that has a very broad meaning and Maria Shriver is obviously assuming that broad definition in her tweet. The meaning of 'service' in the context of the dispute between the Sussexes and the Palace is, however, much narrower and the Sussexes took it out of context to deliver a cheap shot against the RF and present it in a way that would lead most Americans, who are unware of the context, to react probably like Maria.

I think they've burned their boats in England.. no-one's going to welcome them back except for their personal fans. But I reckon from their behavior over the past year that they think they have better prospects in the US and don't want to come back or believe that they will need to.

I haven't seen any official confirmation that the interview's being re-shot, just reports in the press, but I assume they've got it from somewhere.

The Royals are free to speak out on all sorts of things, and, because of their high profile, that gives them a lot of opportunity to do good. Prince William's done a lot to raise the profile of male mental health issues, and Camilla's done a lot of work with domestic abuse charities, for example. They might not be "trendy" causes, but they're extremely important, affect many people's lives, and sadly cause a lot of deaths.

There are a lot of areas where Meghan had the opportunity to do a lot of good, just as long as she stayed out of politics.

I honestly do think they'll still spend time in the UK once the pandemic is over with. To not only see family but to support the UK charities and patronages that they still have.

We were already pretty much under a lot of restrictions when the "official date" of the Sussex's exit from the "Firm" on March 31, 2020. Things may have been totally and completely different if the pandemic hadn't shut the world down so badly and rapidly.

I haven't seen any official confirmation that the interview's being re-shot, just reports in the press, but I assume they've got it from somewhere.

The Royals are free to speak out on all sorts of things, and, because of their high profile, that gives them a lot of opportunity to do good. Prince William's done a lot to raise the profile of male mental health issues, and Camilla's done a lot of work with domestic abuse charities, for example. They might not be "trendy" causes, but they're extremely important, affect many people's lives, and sadly cause a lot of deaths.

There are a lot of areas where Meghan had the opportunity to do a lot of good, just as long as she stayed out of politics.

Actually I think that now royals get involved in more hard edged charities than they used to, like domestic violence against women, sexual exploitation etc. etc. But there are lines and rules and Meghan didn't want to recognise that or IMO wanted to be a political "influencer" in the US, part time and a royal Princess in the UK, part time...

I honestly do think they'll still spend time in the UK once the pandemic is over with. To not only see family but to support the UK charities and patronages that they still have.

We were already pretty much under a lot of restrictions when the "official date" of the Sussex's exit from the "Firm" on March 31, 2020. Things may have been totally and completely different if the pandemic hadn't shut the world down so badly and rapidly.

What for, really? Much of the British public is not keen on them, due to their whole demeanour in the past year and the press are pretty icy towards them. THey may want to visit family but that can be done privately....

I think it's probably more up to the charities and patronages that they're connected with whether or not they wish to retain them in the capacity they had while working royals. This link tells what they lost and what they've kept. I only see SmartWorks listed for Meghan but wonder about the Hubb Kitchen and Mayhew. Anyone know?

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...eghan-markle-charity-patronages-a9299076.html

None of what you say in your post is true regarding Meghan, although there are probably tabloids trying to push that narrative.

In fact, Harry & Meghan rented a converted barn in the Cotswolds until someone leaked the whereabouts to paps and tabloids, and the property was harmfully intruded upon. Meghan & Harry never had any interest in an overly grand royal lifestyle with a huge staff. Where the Sussexes live now is a wonderful property, but it's more west coast Garden of Eden, than it is snooty, palatial and frosty upper class. The original owners who built the Montecito property love Italian and French architecture, so they designed the home with those preferences in mind. They raised a happy family there. But the tabloids have only abounded with off-putting tales of the later Russian owner who barely, if ever, lived there and who spent years trying to unload it as an investment property.

In California, H&M have a very comfortable, wealthy lifestyle, but it's not overly grand. It's laid-back and down-to-earth. Meghan is a California girl who loves to work hard, and she also loves giving back to others and lifting up those less privileged than she has worked to become. Her head isn't turned by tiaras and ballgowns. She has a lot more substance and character than some people seem willing or able to acknowledge.

There is an interesting article in The Spectator (Australia), which observed:
"The royals, and those who surround them, still can’t see what they have jettisoned. It will be on display when Meghan and Harry’s interview with Oprah is broadcast."

https://www.spectator.com.au/2021/02/the-monarchy-failed-harry-and-meghan/
"down to earth" "laid-back" "not overly grand"... That admittedly lovely property of theirs cost 11£ million, has 16 bathrooms and would to most people on earth come across as very grand and anything but laid-back and down-to-earth. Also if Meghan's head wasn't turned by tiaras then why all the drama surrounding her wedding tiara?
Meghan is a smart and ambitious young woman who seems very honest in her ambition to do good in the world but that doesn't negate the fact that she lives a life of immense privilege and wealth.

Last edited:
"down to earth" "laid-back" "not overly grand"... That admittedly lovely property of theirs cost 11£ million, has 16 bathrooms and would to most people on earth come across as very grand and anything but laid-back and down-to-earth. Also if Meghan's head wasn't turned by tiaras then why all the drama surrounding her wedding tiara?
Meghan is a smart and ambitious young woman who seems very honest in her ambition to do good in the world but that doesn't negate the fact that she lives a life of immense privilege and wealth.
I agree JR76. Also I find the article made an interesting choice for a headline by using the word "jettisoned.":ermm: After all it was ultimately the choice of the Sussexes to leave.

I agree JR76. Also I find the article made an interesting choice for a headline by using the word "jettisoned.":ermm: After all it was ultimately the choice of the Sussexes to leave.

well yes what HAVE they "jettisoned"? OK the house at Frogmore was free, but i doubt if it was any fancier than the massive property they've got in LA. the only things they have jettisoned.. are the BRF and its duties....

Back to the impeding interview, I'm wondering if we'll see much of the interior of their home in clips with Archie? Supposedly, it's been rumored that there will be some footage filmed in the home.

Back to the impeding interview, I'm wondering if we'll see much of the interior of their home in clips with Archie? Supposedly, it's been rumored that there will be some footage filmed in the home.

Was the interview shot at their home ?

No, I don't believe it was filmed in the home but re: post #271 from AC21091968: It's why I put the word "rumor" in my question. ?

I found this screenshot of an article (that I'm unsure of) on the senior CBS source (again unsure about the reliability). It stated that viewers could expect some footages of Archie that were filmed recently in the Sussex's family home. That section of the article also mentioned about the possible topics in Oprah's interviews.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuxCIf1WgAkPGtA?format=jpg&name=900x900

I agree with what you’re saying in general, but I just don’t think that this will win over any Americans who don’t already like them.

I agree with what you’re saying in general, but I just don’t think that this will win over any Americans who don’t already like them.

But America's a much bigger place than the UK.. and I think that more US people are inclined to think them nice, than in the UK.. so there will be enough of a fan base or an interest base for them to pursue their "lifestyle" for a couple of years. But if Netflix deal doesn't go well, or they begin to bore the publc, not sure how long the good times will last...
whereas in the UK, I dont think they have much of a support base at all now...

We have no idea how the overall UK population thinks of Harry and Meghan. I would guess most don't care one way or the other -- and that goes for all the royals. People can assume based on the media but we know that can be deceiving.

I remember people had similar feelings about how they would be received last March and none of that was true. So until they return and interact publicly, we have no clue what the reaction will be. And honestly my guess it will be more or less the same.

We have no idea how the overall UK population thinks of Harry and Meghan. I would guess most don't care one way or the other -- and that goes for all the royals. People can assume based on the media but we know that can be deceiving.

I remember people had similar feelings about how they would be received last March and none of that was true. So until they return and interact publicly, we have no clue what the reaction will be. And honestly my guess it will be more or less the same.

People aren't going to go to see them jsut to shout abuse.. so as they do have a fan base here, there will be people who will be pleased to see them and they're teh ones who will possibly turn up to see them. But in any case Yougov figures about them are negative.. and I dont think that they are going to get a lot of positive attention...

YouGov polls about Meghan have mostly always been negative about Meghan. Nothing new about that. But as you said (and I agree), people who like them will still support and those who don't won't. I don't think much has really changed either way but time will tell if/when they do return to the UK.

Actually we have a pretty good idea of their favorability rate in the UK based on national polls and we know it has dropped dramaticallly over the past year.

I don't know how they are faring in other Commonwealth realms like Australia or Canada because I haven't seen any poll taken there, but I suspect that indifference to the RF in general is bigger in those countries than in the UK, especially in Canada, maybe not so much in Australia where there seems to be a larger number of royal watchers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom