"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really enjoy British history, but if I wasn't and knew very little about any of the characters in the story I believe I would, with out question, say, "Oh, so that was how it went." Or, "So that was what she/he was like." Five years from now when possibly a teenager was watching it, they too might assume that this to be the truth and 'real' history. That would be a shame though. Reading the Earl, Charles Spencer's book, 'The White Ship', a few times he mentions that chroniclers from the 11th and 12th century would embellish facts or give slanted versions of a ruler's personality depending on the political climate at the time of the writing. So even history is not exactly word perfect. The Crown is just a source of income for their industry. I doubt they even give a hoot about real facts.

I really enjoy British history, but if I wasn't and knew very little about any of the characters in the story I believe I would, with out question, say, "Oh, so that was how it went." Or, "So that was what she/he was like." Five years from now when possibly a teenager was watching it, they too might assume that this to be the truth and 'real' history. That would be a shame though. Reading the Earl, Charles Spencer's book, 'The White Ship', a few times he mentions that chroniclers from the 11th and 12th century would embellish facts or give slanted versions of a ruler's personality depending on the political climate at the time of the writing. So even history is not exactly word perfect. The Crown is just a source of income for their industry. I doubt they even give a hoot about real facts.

Of course they dont. But anyone who watches historical dramas or reads them, if they do a little research outside the TV, will find that even the best ones are not 100% accurate..

"The Crown" was not written for royal watchers, it was written as a general source of entertainment for people who just know some things about the BRF.

I don't take it as a "serious" thing nor I complain about it for that same reason, I like watching the scenarios, some of the historical things that happened and I watch the storyline as I'd watch anything else on Netflix.

It is a soap opera with a great production and awesome actors. Nothing more, nothing less than that.

"The Crown" was not written for royal watchers, it was written as a general source of entertainment for people who just know some things about the BRF.

I don't take it as a "serious" thing nor I complain about it for that same reason, I like watching the scenarios, some of the historical things that happened and I watch the storyline as I'd watch anything else on Netflix.

It is a soap opera with a great production and awesome actors. Nothing more, nothing less than that.

I'm sorry, but this mere "soap opera" has had a real effect on real, living people.........and in a very negative way. Although the polls don't really matter since the monarchy is not an elective position, Charles' popularity has severely declined based on the one-dimensional, villainous portrait of him. That's the British public we're talking about - not Americans, whose negative opinion of him doesn't matter. We're talking about the future King. It's not even just Charles, either.

I DO blame the people watching for taking everything at face value and pooh-poohing the historians who are trying to set the facts straight, but first and foremost I blame Peter Morgan, who has no interest in anything other than promoting his Republican agenda.

:previous: This is an excellent point. "The Crown" *is* dealing with people that are still making history and are still alive. The quality of the production of this series has drastically gone downhill since they delved into the Diana years and reopened all the controversy surrounding the 'War of the Wales".

It's surprising, in a way, that there hasn't been lawsuits filed yet.

Why is it surprising? The BRF can't file lawsuits......and Peter Morgan knows that....If I'm the widow of Charles' friend, Hugh Lindsay, I'd want to file a suit also, but....based on what? Morgan didn't give a damn about her feelings and he went right ahead and did what he wanted; you can't litigate bad taste.

I'm sorry, but this mere "soap opera" has had a real effect on real, living people.........and in a very negative way. Although the polls don't really matter since the monarchy is not an elective position, Charles' popularity has severely declined based on the one-dimensional, villainous portrait of him. That's the British public we're talking about - not Americans, whose negative opinion of him doesn't matter. We're talking about the future King. It's not even just Charles, either.

I DO blame the people watching for taking everything at face value and pooh-poohing the historians who are trying to set the facts straight, but first and foremost I blame Peter Morgan, who has no interest in anything other than promoting his Republican agenda.

Charles' ratings have not been particularly good for some time...

Charles' ratings have not been particularly good for some time...

I’m aware of that, but irrelevant. They dipped by 5% - that’s a significant drop just from June, and it’s clearly to do with the Crown.

I’m aware of that, but irrelevant. They dipped by 5% - that’s a significant drop just from June, and it’s clearly to do with the Crown.
I dont think its helped but the show doesnt IMO give a very charming portrait of the queen, for example yet her ratings are OK. IN the clips I've seen she's always snarling and snapping at people in a way that I think she is much too reserved and polite to be....Charles has lost some of the ground he gained in the interim years since the very low times of the 1990s, but there may be other factors...He isn't old enough to be a grand old man, he has a son who has a nice pretty wife and family, and the queen's fairly popular...He is perceived as stuffy and a bit interfering, as well as "unfaithful to Diana".

A look back at Season 3 behind the scenes during filming in Wales.

Ok so I started Season 4 on Christmas night and Gillian Anderson is simply amazing as the Iron Lady and my favourite character so far.

Where are Diana's parents they were mentioned but have not appeared onscreen so far.

All the queen mother seems to do is drink and watch tv.

All I'll say is that I never thought the acting was outstanding in "The Crown" at all. If this is Golden Globe excellence, then the quality of acting expected in programming has really sunk to a new low. :D

All I'll say is that I never thought the acting was outstanding in "The Crown" at all. If this is Golden Globe excellence, then the quality of acting expected in programming has really sunk to a new low. :D

script is bad, acting is bad, its wildly inaccurate.. the other dramas must be truly dire...

Then why bother putting her in makeup and a bad wig? Just let her look like herself and play Diana.
Because trying to create an illusion of the person they play is what actors have done for the last 3000 years.

The BAFTAS will be interesting. Wonder if they get a lot of those awards too.

The actress portraying Diana sounded a lot like her, that was probably more key than her exact look, which was pretty good.

I think Season 4 and the rest (hearing 5 or 6) will be fairly uncomfortable to watch, it is too recent ...events are too new.

LaRae

By now we all know that The Crown is only loosely based on historical truths and much of it is fictionalized, but I have to admit that I really have enjoyed it and thought that it was well-acted. All those who won awards were well-deserved!

It's fiction. People don't have to look exactly like whom they play, but Emma Corrin was lauded for nailing Diana's voice and mannerisms. If all someone is going by are pictures, then it's a natural response to get annoyed that she doesn't 'look' enough like Diana. They cast her because she's a good actress. (The actress for the next season, Elizabeth Debicki, will probably suit people better visually, but who knows how she'll do.)

For that matter, Olivia Coleman looks basically nothing like the Queen, but I feel like she played her much better this season. Found her feet, grew into the part, or we all stopped missing Claire Foy, I dunno. (Or she's just now the Queen I remember?)

Now we wait for Dolores Umbridge. :D

I'm not sure if they've started work on season 5 yet and if so I doubt we'll see series 5 until at least 2022 so there will be some wait for Imelda as QEII.

I have to say I thought the actor and actress playing Charles and Diana nailed it, they had them to a tee.

Back
Top Bottom