"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well if we could choose earlier periods then the Stuarts would be pretty dramatic. Lots of drama there!

Bamp! Netflix has a series called "Reign" with 78 episodes that focuses around the life and times of Mary, Queen of Scots. I enjoyed it. ?

Bamp! Netflix has a series called "Reign" with 78 episodes that focuses around the life and times of Mary, Queen of Scots. I enjoyed it. ?

I had no idea. Is it worth watching?

I only subscribed to Netflix when series one of The Crown came out.

If you're looking for straight up history, you're not going to get it. It was entertaining for me and the plot kept me wanting to see what happened next. One thing though, its *not* a show to put on with children in the room.

Like The Crown, Reign and The Last Kingdom (Alfred the Great time period), these shows take the history and spin a entertaining tale out of it. Right now I'm binge watching "Grey's Anatomy". Always meant to check that show out and started with season 1, episode 1 and there's 16 seasons of 24-26 episodes each. Keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.

Really looking forward to the new episodes of The Crown. It was the very first program I tuned into when I got Netflix access. :D

oh God no. This is possible the worst show on the planet. I cant call it a historical anything. The fact that it alludes to be about Mary, Queen of Scots just makes me want to hit my head in a wall. Watch only if you are playing a drinking game and want to get really drink in a short period of time.

If you're looking for straight up history, you're not going to get it. It was entertaining for me and the plot kept me wanting to see what happened next. One thing though, its *not* a show to put on with children in the room.

Like The Crown, Reign and The Last Kingdom (Alfred the Great time period), these shows take the history and spin a entertaining tale out of it. Right now I'm binge watching "Grey's Anatomy". Always meant to check that show out and started with season 1, episode 1 and there's 16 seasons of 24-26 episodes each. Keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.

Really looking forward to the new episodes of The Crown. It was the very first program I tuned into when I got Netflix access. :D

Thank you for the review.:flowers:

oh God no. This is possible the worst show on the planet. I cant call it a historical anything. The fact that it alludes to be about Mary, Queen of Scots just makes me want to hit my head in a wall. Watch only if you are playing a drinking game and want to get really drink in a short period of time.

Made me :lol:.

Thank you.:flowers:

Agree Mary Queen of Scots, her mother and ever delightful mother in law all must turning in their tombs at this highly fictitious, inaccurate and all round dreadful show.

Last edited:
I think I might give it a miss.:D

A very wise option Durham ;)

I would love to see a series on the three Edwards (Plantagenet)...so much drama there.

That said, I never expect period dramas to be entirely accurate; they are always changed to amp up the conflict.

Still, there's plenty of drama in Edward I, II, III.
No need for exaggeration.

I wish the Crown had started with the Abdication and then brought the story through WWII and onto the reign of EII.

I wish the Crown had started with the Abdication and then brought the story through WWII and onto the reign of EII.

They could always do a prequel. Alex Jennings was superb! A fantastic mix of pomposity & pathos.

He was simply excellent as the Duke of Windsor :previous:

Yes wasn't he just! He stole every scene he was in other than the ones with Eileen Atkins. I'd call those a draw.:D

Dame Eileen Atkins has the edge for me but he comes a very close second.

Dame Eileen Atkins has the edge for me but he comes a very close second.

She's national treasure!! Wonderful actor.

And she had some of the best lines.

Last edited:
The twitter account for "The Crown" has release a picture of Diana, Princess of Wales in her wedding dress

The Crown @TheCrownNetflix
A first glimpse of Princess Diana’s wedding dress. Emmy award-winning costume designer Amy Roberts wanted to capture the same spirit and style of David & Elizabeth Emanuel’s original design, without creating a replica for Emma Corrin.
7:51 AM · Oct 4, 2020·Twitter Web App​

Edit: I have changed to the correct title and address of Diane. Thank you Prinsara for pointing my silly mistake out.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to season 4 only another few weeks!

The twitter account for "The Crown" has release a picture of Princess Diana in her wedding dress

The Crown @TheCrownNetflix
A first glimpse of Princess Diana’s wedding dress. Emmy award-winning costume designer Amy Roberts wanted to capture the same spirit and style of David & Elizabeth Emanuel’s original design, without creating a replica for Emma Corrin.
7:51 AM · Oct 4, 2020·Twitter Web App​

That's a great costume design, but why is The Crown calling her 'Princess Diana'? :argh: Historical fiction, but a really simple detail to get right.

:previous:
Why wouldn't they create a replica?

It would be more in keeping with a historical drama.

To be honest here, I'm looking forward more to the release of episodes of "The Windsors" satire than I am to "The Crown". ?

That's a great costume design, but why is The Crown calling her 'Princess Diana'? :argh: Historical fiction, but a really simple detail to get right.

The Crown is primarily aimed at an international (especially American) audience and Princess Diana is how she was known in the US and most non-Commonwealth countries.

There is a Daily Mail article that explores the relationship between The Queen and Margaret Thatcher, ahead of the release of Season 4 of the Crown. Apparently it will cover from 1977 to 1990.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Margaret-Thatcher-Queen-like-twins-right.html

It would interesting to see how The Crown portrays the relationship between The Queen and Thatcher. Previous historians and media works have shown the alleged "frosty" atmosphere in the weekly meetings between the Queen and her Prime Minister. However, Peter Morgan, The Crown's writer have described them as "twins who are not the same". Lord Powell, Mrs Thatcher’s most senior foreign affairs adviser, described a warm relationship, especially at Lady Thatcher’s 80th birthday party.

I personally think The Queen actually likes Thatcher, despite their differences. The two main reasons are
  • The Queen awarded Thatcher the Order of the Garter and the Order of Merit
  • The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh attended Thatcher's funeral. The only other Prime Minister's funeral that The Queen attended was Winston Churchill

:previous:

They supposedly had a frosty relationship during the period Thatcher was in office. I can't see what secret sources the creators of Netflix have used to come to an alternate view. A view that AFAIK has not been supported by any author, journalist etc. of repute for the last 4 decades.

It seems more that the creators of the series want to square the circle that two conservative symbols must have had a good relationship, otherwise their viewers may get confused. The author does not give any evidence whatsoever for his theory other than some arm chair psychology.

That the writer of the series calls them twins confirms what was already known, namely that 'The Crown' is a piece of fiction loosely based on real events.

Last edited:
I always thought that the chill between the Queen and Thatcher had most all to do with lifestyles. Thatcher did not enjoy Balmoral at all. I always assumed the lack of comfortable heat, fustiness and isolation were her sticking points. JMO from things I have read over the years.

I read that on her stays at Balmoral Mrs Thatcher, while perfectly pleasant, brought papers with her from London to work on while she was there and wasn't really interested in any country pursuits on offer, leaving the Queen taken aback. I presume Denis Thatcher went on long walks etc though.

Hugo Vickers on why he dislikes the Crown Netflix series- interesting talk :

Tatler Articles on Season 4 The Crown

Some more pictures of Diane, Princess of Wales in The Crown Season 4. The Tatler article mainly focuses on Diana's outfit.
https://www.tatler.com/gallery/the-crown-princess-diana-outfits

Of Course, some of these pictures were from an older article: https://www.tatler.com/article/the-crown-season-4

Tatler has also release an article on the relationship between The Queen and Margaret Thatcher. Apologies for repeating myself.
https://www.tatler.com/article/the-queen-and-margaret-thatcher-relationship

Emma Corrin and Josh O'Connor discuss Royal terms, abbreviations and slang words.

Back
Top Bottom