"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gosh I'd never have guessed that ,though she did play Lady Jane Grey many years ago.

So the older version of Margaret then? Hmmm should be interesting.

LaRae

Gosh I'd never have guessed that ,though she did play Lady Jane Grey many years ago.

I remember her as Lady Jane Grey and I think she did a great job in that role. She was very young back then though.

I can't say she's one of my favourite actresses. She either overacts so that her character becomes farcical or she doesn't seem to bother at all and simply appears as herself wearing a costume. I assume this casting is for "middle aged" Margaret but for older Margaret they should absolutely consider Stephanie Beacham who played the Princess on stage and bore a great resemblance.

I love The Crown, but the portrayal of The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret is wrong, IMO.

Both The Queen Mother and Princess Margaret worked on The Queen’s behalf in the UK and Commonwealth. In The Crown, The Queen Mother is busy eating and watching tv. Princess Margaret is busy drinking, partying and depressed on love.

Now, Princess Margaret was the party girl, but she did work a lot too.

I wonder who'll get the role of the queen mother?

Anytime I see Helena now I always think of Bellatrix LeStrange! lol

LaRae

Her performance as Queen Elizabeth in "The King's Speech" was beautifully played, in my opinion.

I think, HBC in The Crown could positively work out. I absolutely love how she styles herself in private and sometimes for public events. But i have similiar opinion like gaudete, for me her acting seems sometimes too "gekünstelt".
I think, what the series makes clear, is, how much/ how big is the brf part of the pop culture or which other rf gets a funko pop treatment, gets a show with 6 series. Although I have to take in account i know almost nothing about other kingdoms in asian/african countries.

I just finished watching the second series this week (I created a Netflix just so I could watch the Crown, haha) and I have to say that I think I preferred it to the first series. I look forward into watching series three - now I don't know how to spend my evenings ?

Claire Foy as HM is definitely my favourite character - I'll miss her in the next series!

I have major issues with the depiction of the DoE, appallingly misrepresented 'in the Crown' by Matt Smith's boorish, sulky, sexually unrestrained, overgrown spoilt brat)

Netflix seems to have lazily bought into the Duke of Windsor's snide caricature of QEQM as 'cookie' [solely 'munching' whilst watching telly] , rather than a more interesting and realistic depiction of her pivotal role, during this period.
As for the DoE, the episode with Gordonstoun, education of Prince Charles, and death of his sister and family.. it was SO wrong on so many levels. peppered with inaccuracies - playing with timelines, casting blame where none existed, and needlessly overdramatising what is [in Cecilie's case] already a heartbreaking story.

Last edited:
Claire Foy as HM is definitely my favourite character - I'll miss her in the next series!

She was superb in the role and a pleasure to watch ,it will be strange to see someone else playing H.M. in series III!

Olivia Coleman was already announced as the new Elizabeth. She is signed on. The same with Helena Bonham Carter.

Paul Bettany as Philip isn’t confirmed and the latest report is he has withdrawn himself from consideration. His wife Jennifer Connelly is signed up for a tv show based on The Snowpiercer movie. So he may not want to separate his family (they has 2 school age kids) to come film here in the UK.

Olivia Colman explains how she got the part of Queen Elizabeth in The Crown speaking to Radio Times before Xmas.

I find myself at a loss to understand the need to denigrate the BRF with lazy Cookie, perpetually manipulated QE, sleazy, adulterous Philip, etc.

Truth is stranger than fiction and the BRF certainly have a story worth telling, just not in the "Dallas" scheme of things. The people that worked for them and their country have had their reputations trashed, all in the name of "artistic license", and the BRF have been belittled and treated as pretty insignificant in the scheme of things.

Obviously, nobody ever taught them about the hand that feeds them. Try doing without the BRF and discover that an empty palace or castle is just that. Thousands come to the UK to do the Royal Tours, to see where the Queen lives and hope to catch a glimpse of a royal meanwhile, the Netflix is busy roasting the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Williams wedding brought in millions in tourism, etc. and Harry's wedding is already generating a fair amount of income and yet "The Crown" wallows in historical inaccuracies which are unforgivable when writing about real people who are still alive. Obviously, the producers are too lazy to research the actual people they were writing about. But hundreds of thousands, even millions of people think this is the "real truth".

Actually I think it has been proven that empty palaces are just as profitable as filled ones; at least according to the tourism to France. Don't quote me on that...

Last edited:
Olivia Colman explains how she got the part of Queen Elizabeth in The Crown speaking to Radio Times before Xmas.

I was IN PAIN watching Derek Jacoby in this clip. Off topic, I know, but he is a treasure and you can actually observe him thinking "why am I here, they are ignoring me."

As long as Olivia does not go all aristo-look-down-the-nose (which she has in a few roles) I think she will be great. Elizabeth is above - but she does tend to look across, not down OR to use her dry wit.

I really like Olivia Colman.

LaRae

Olivia Coleman was already announced as the new Elizabeth. She is signed on. The same with Helena Bonham Carter.

Paul Bettany as Philip isn’t confirmed and the latest report is he has withdrawn himself from consideration. His wife Jennifer Connelly is signed up for a tv show based on The Snowpiercer movie. So he may not want to separate his family (they has 2 school age kids) to come film here in the UK.

Paul Bettany might also feel he is too close to the subject matter - He is The Countess of Wessex's cousin.

Even though The Crown is fiction, Princess Margaret's character has some of the best lines in the series and I can surely imagine the real Princess Margaret saying them:

"People like you don't get to insult people like me, they get to be eternally grateful."

When the Queen informed Margaret there had been complaints from her royal neighbours at KP due to her renovation work:

"Who sent you on this ugly mission? Marina? She'd do well to remember her place. As a low ranking member of your husband's refugee family, she's lucky to be here at all."

"Oh is it Alice? That cantankerous old bat."

Laughed my head off on this part.

"Who sent you on this ugly mission? Marina? She'd do well to remember her place. As a low ranking member of your husband's refugee family, she's lucky to be here at all."

Margaret should feel lucky that Grand Duchess Vladimir didn't rise from the grave to get her for dissing her granddaughter ?

Even though The Crown is fiction, Princess Margaret's character has some of the best lines in the series and I can surely imagine the real Princess Margaret saying them:

"People like you don't get to insult people like me, they get to be eternally grateful."

When the Queen informed Margaret there had been complaints from her royal neighbours at KP due to her renovation work:

"Oh is it Alice? That cantankerous old bat."

She said all whilst polishing off a bottle of Scotch and was meant to be pregnant :D

Back
Top Bottom