"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why does the title of this thread say that the series has 20 episoded when, in fact, they are 10?

I have a lot of curiosity about which actresses will be chosen to portray the Queen as the seasons are filmed.

They are supposed to change the actors every two seasons. Season 1 is briefly in 1947 for the wedding and then jumps to 1951 for George VI lung surgery. He dies early in 1952. The coronation was in 1953. The final break with Townsend and Margaret was 1955. The Suez crisis and the Melbourne Olympics which are talked about but not shown yet happen in 1956.

I don't know how far season 2 will go into the 1960s. The Queen in her 30s, Philip would turn 40 in 1961. In theory you could age make up Claire Foy and Matt Smith to play The Queen and Philip in the 1970s may even the early part of the 80s. Then get older actors for the mid 80s to today.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Why does the title of this thread say that the series has 20 episoded when, in fact, they are 10?

I have a lot of curiosity about which actresses will be chosen to portray the Queen as the seasons are filmed.

Because the first and second season, each consisting of 10 episodes, were commissioned together. Only 10 episodes have been released, but there will be at least another 10 with season 2.

The ultimate plan is six seasons of 10 episodes each to cover the Queen's reign.

Because the first and second season, each consisting of 10 episodes, were commissioned together. Only 10 episodes have been released, but there will be at least another 10 with season 2.

Ah, thank you. I thought that it would be the first season to have 20 episodes!:flowers:

The ultimate plan is six seasons of 10 episodes each to cover the Queen's reign.

Yes. 6 seasons/10 episodes each.

I cannot wait to see this! My older daughter wants to watch with me, but she's been so busy with schoolwork, college applications, etc. I promised I'd wait, so it might not be until winter break...

Watched the first episode last night, and am impressed.
The lighting cast the perfect impression of the Stygian gloom of the Post-war Palaces, and [the then] smoggy London. The casting good [but not quite] perfect. Queen Elizabeth,[too thin, and without the characteristic slant of Head] and Peter Townsend [insufficiently dashing and handsome] seem wrong. The script and pace are great, and I look forward to being 'hooked'.

Been watching the series. Why do I get the feeling the actress who plays The Queen appear lost? Her eyes have no life in them.

I've just watched episode two, dealing with the death of George VI and the untimely accession of HMQ whilst on Tour in Kenya.
I was profoundly moved by this astonishing piece of work, and have rarely [if ever] seen anything more evocative or better done. I commend ALL concerned.

I'm watching episode 10 and I'm disappointed that they did not get an Egyptian actor to play Gamal Abdel Nasser, the accent is VERY clear that it's not Egyptian!

I just love it and have watched the first episode. I think all the actors are giving the essence of their characters beautifully, especially the lead. A few in accuracies, but love the bejeweled queen Mary.
Were the children, Charles and Anne, ever in Malta?

I just love it and have watched the first episode. I think all the actors are giving the essence of their characters beautifully, especially the lead. A few in accuracies, but love the bejeweled queen Mary.
Were the children, Charles and Anne, ever in Malta?
IIRC The Duke of Cornwall and The Princess Anne (to give them their titles at the time) met their parents on Gibraltar at the end of the Coronation Tour - but didn't go to Malta.

I started watching the series yesterday and have just finished the second episode. At first, I found it quite hard to enjoy but as the episode went on, I got more and more into it. The acting has been brilliant, to the extent where I feel emotions for the characters. I was sad when HM and Princess Margaret were sad at their father's death! The King's coughing scenes also made me worried for his character. I don't like Claire Foy's attempt at the young queen's accent (it sounds a bit too "forceful" to my ears) but other than that, she played the part well. I look forward into watching the rest of the series and will be looking out for the next one too!

I have now watched all of it and I highly recommend it.

If you are seeking 100% factual record then obviously this is not for you. This is a drama hung on a framework of history and some known facts.

If you want good acting, interesting parallels in history of the day and high production values then it is terrific.

I look forward to series 2

spoiler alert

my favorite scene was the one before the dinner at 10 Downing Street i don't know why but i believe that this conversation actually happened .

it would be great if they brought back helen mirren as the queen maybe from the fourth season .

Btw, my early twenties son started watching before I did as he has known my interest in royalty and became hooked. He has asked me lots of history questions...so,really this will get a lot of,younger people to learn history at least.

I've watched 4 episodes so far and am highly impressed. I love the interiors, the exteriors, most of the acting. Queen Mary is portrayed exactly as I would have thought (she's my favorite royal of all) although for some reason I thought she was a tall woman. Claire Foy has a monumental task and mostly I like her although there;s a hesitancy to her speech and behavior that I don't like. I know it's intended to show us that the young Queen is only beginning to find her footing, and I also know that the fault is not with the actor but the director. It still bothers me a little.

Just watched the last one really enjoyed it. Of course we don't what was really said or done but you accept that.

There have always been rumours about Prince Philip and his eye for the ladies. I presume they aren't going to name names as two of the women he is supposed to have romanced were well known names in the London night club/show biz scene in the late 1940s and 1950's.

:previous: Oh Philips supposed 'affairs' are as numerous as the number of times the Queen was reported to be pregnant . . . almost constantly. Philip may indeed have gone clubbing, but he was never a fool or a cad.

I just find it interesting that in a time when people put pen to paper in letters, notes and (joy of joys) diaries, nobody's grandchildren, heirs, etc. have found one itsy bitsy note to hint of any type of a liaison between Philip and another woman and, with the deep love and respect displayed by today's generation, flogged them off at Christie's Auction House!

I'm watching The Queen give Churchill a "telling off" after keeping the strokes from her and Churchill just looks broken. I want to give him a hug.

I REALLY didn't. He WAS broken, through age and ill health, and should have retired ages before..

I have a question: was Margaret really in charge to subistitute her sister while she was abroad? And is it true that Margaret's exuberant behavior caused such a stir?

I have a question: was Margaret really in charge to subistitute her sister while she was abroad? And is it true that Margaret's exuberant behavior caused such a stir?

You would have 2 people acting as Counsellors of State while the Queen was gone on the Commonwealth Tour. Eligible people were the next 4 adults in line: Margaret, Henry Duke of Gloucester, Princess Mary, The Earl of Harewood. The Queen Mum was added to be a CoS in 1953.

So 2 people had to be named before the Queen left. It was just Margaret as the show implied.

The last sentence should be it wasn't just Margaret as the show implied

the app isn't let me fix the previous post

You would have 2 people acting as Counsellors of State while the Queen was gone on the Commonwealth Tour. Eligible people were the next 4 adults in line: Margaret, Henry Duke of Gloucester, Princess Mary, The Earl of Harewood. The Queen Mum was added to be a CoS in 1953.

So 2 people had to be named before the Queen left. It was just Margaret as the show implied.

So "only Margaret" was a mistake of the show? Did she really throw a tantrum?

Does anyone know if this is on TV? and if so what Night it is on, in the UK?

I have been really enjoying the series. It does bother me that the actress playing the Queen Mother doesn't look anything like the Queen really looked, but you can't always find a physical match.

Back
Top Bottom