The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-10-2016, 12:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Tom and Lorenzo have been doing a nice job of analyzing the costuming. Here's the latest:

"The Crown" Style: Hyde Park Corner | Tom + Lorenzo

Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Courtier

I'm watching episode 10 and I'm disappointed that they did not get an Egyptian actor to play Gamal Abdel Nasser, the accent is VERY clear that it's not Egyptian!

Old 11-10-2016, 10:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I just love it and have watched the first episode. I think all the actors are giving the essence of their characters beautifully, especially the lead. A few in accuracies, but love the bejeweled queen Mary.
Were the children, Charles and Anne, ever in Malta?
Old 11-10-2016, 11:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
I just love it and have watched the first episode. I think all the actors are giving the essence of their characters beautifully, especially the lead. A few in accuracies, but love the bejeweled queen Mary.
Were the children, Charles and Anne, ever in Malta?
IIRC The Duke of Cornwall and The Princess Anne (to give them their titles at the time) met their parents on Gibraltar at the end of the Coronation Tour - but didn't go to Malta.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I started watching the series yesterday and have just finished the second episode. At first, I found it quite hard to enjoy but as the episode went on, I got more and more into it. The acting has been brilliant, to the extent where I feel emotions for the characters. I was sad when HM and Princess Margaret were sad at their father's death! The King's coughing scenes also made me worried for his character. I don't like Claire Foy's attempt at the young queen's accent (it sounds a bit too "forceful" to my ears) but other than that, she played the part well. I look forward into watching the rest of the series and will be looking out for the next one too!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-11-2016, 08:40 PM
Majesty

I have now watched all of it and I highly recommend it.

If you are seeking 100% factual record then obviously this is not for you. This is a drama hung on a framework of history and some known facts.

If you want good acting, interesting parallels in history of the day and high production values then it is terrific.

I look forward to series 2

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Courtier

spoiler alert

my favorite scene was the one before the dinner at 10 Downing Street i don't know why but i believe that this conversation actually happened .

it would be great if they brought back helen mirren as the queen maybe from the fourth season .
Old 11-11-2016, 11:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Btw, my early twenties son started watching before I did as he has known my interest in royalty and became hooked. He has asked me lots of history questions...so,really this will get a lot of,younger people to learn history at least.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:04 AM
Nobility

I've watched 4 episodes so far and am highly impressed. I love the interiors, the exteriors, most of the acting. Queen Mary is portrayed exactly as I would have thought (she's my favorite royal of all) although for some reason I thought she was a tall woman. Claire Foy has a monumental task and mostly I like her although there;s a hesitancy to her speech and behavior that I don't like. I know it's intended to show us that the young Queen is only beginning to find her footing, and I also know that the fault is not with the actor but the director. It still bothers me a little.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Just watched the last one really enjoyed it. Of course we don't what was really said or done but you accept that.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-13-2016, 03:53 AM
Majesty

There have always been rumours about Prince Philip and his eye for the ladies. I presume they aren't going to name names as two of the women he is supposed to have romanced were well known names in the London night club/show biz scene in the late 1940s and 1950's.
Old 11-13-2016, 05:31 AM
Majesty

Oh Philips supposed 'affairs' are as numerous as the number of times the Queen was reported to be pregnant . . . almost constantly. Philip may indeed have gone clubbing, but he was never a fool or a cad.

I just find it interesting that in a time when people put pen to paper in letters, notes and (joy of joys) diaries, nobody's grandchildren, heirs, etc. have found one itsy bitsy note to hint of any type of a liaison between Philip and another woman and, with the deep love and respect displayed by today's generation, flogged them off at Christie's Auction House!
Old 11-15-2016, 01:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm watching The Queen give Churchill a "telling off" after keeping the strokes from her and Churchill just looks broken. I want to give him a hug.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I REALLY didn't. He WAS broken, through age and ill health, and should have retired ages before..
Old 11-15-2016, 02:00 PM
Majesty

I have a question: was Margaret really in charge to subistitute her sister while she was abroad? And is it true that Margaret's exuberant behavior caused such a stir?
Old 11-15-2016, 02:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I have a question: was Margaret really in charge to subistitute her sister while she was abroad? And is it true that Margaret's exuberant behavior caused such a stir?

You would have 2 people acting as Counsellors of State while the Queen was gone on the Commonwealth Tour. Eligible people were the next 4 adults in line: Margaret, Henry Duke of Gloucester, Princess Mary, The Earl of Harewood. The Queen Mum was added to be a CoS in 1953.

So 2 people had to be named before the Queen left. It was just Margaret as the show implied.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:18 PM
Heir Apparent

The last sentence should be it wasn't just Margaret as the show implied

the app isn't let me fix the previous post
Old 11-16-2016, 08:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
You would have 2 people acting as Counsellors of State while the Queen was gone on the Commonwealth Tour. Eligible people were the next 4 adults in line: Margaret, Henry Duke of Gloucester, Princess Mary, The Earl of Harewood. The Queen Mum was added to be a CoS in 1953.

So 2 people had to be named before the Queen left. It was just Margaret as the show implied.
So "only Margaret" was a mistake of the show? Did she really throw a tantrum?
Old 11-20-2016, 04:16 AM
Majesty

Does anyone know if this is on TV? and if so what Night it is on, in the UK?
Old 11-20-2016, 06:40 AM
Nobility

I have been really enjoying the series. It does bother me that the actress playing the Queen Mother doesn't look anything like the Queen really looked, but you can't always find a physical match.

Tags
british royal family, duke of edinburgh, queen elisabeth, the crown