"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi! I've just started watching - until now only s06e05 "Willsmania" and I think, it was quite touching!

Without any spoiler: Especially the story line with William's grandpa, the vids and the chess game was very moving!

Has it really happened? Well... It is good entertaiment for sure!

I enjoyed that as well, without giving away spoilers there probably was a similar conversation but whether it happened like that we will never know but it put over the point.

Having watched them all from series 1, I appreciate we do not know what went on behind closed doors but I have been disappointed at times when the facts were wrong. I now accept that the method of telling the story is to summarise a whole range of things with one scene or conversation.

I found the Diana episodes uncomfortable to watch, how true they were I do not know, maybe that is why I found them uncomfortable.

I liked it in parts. 5 and 6 were by far the weakest. 5 maybe more so. It was okay. Margaret’s episode was brilliant but hard to watch in parts. William was very much at the 50 jubilee. Camilla missing in action here. William was good and obviously the seeds of turmoil sown in his relationship with Harry. Last episode was nice.

I enjoyed that as well, without giving away spoilers there probably was a similar conversation but whether it happened like that we will never know but it put over the point.

Having watched them all from series 1, I appreciate we do not know what went on behind closed doors but I have been disappointed at times when the facts were wrong. I now accept that the method of telling the story is to summarise a whole range of things with one scene or conversation.

I found the Diana episodes uncomfortable to watch, how true they were I do not know, maybe that is why I found them uncomfortable.

Agree 100%!!
I think this is exactly why I really like it.
I do believe that all in all it happend like presented on the show. They tried to tell the story in examples that may or may not have happened that way but overall the storyline is correct. There is no mayor headscratching where I said 'no way'. The lack of scandal might be boring for some but I find it refreshing to tell such a well documented story in a way that most people will find credible.
The actors are excellent and it's good entertainment.

Overall, I really enjoyed all six seasons of The Crown. There were parts I enjoyed more than others. As someone who follows the British Royal Family, I was able to separate most of the fact from fiction. I understand that sometimes it is necessary to fill in conversations that may not have taken place, in order for the story to flow. However, there was a lot the fiction that I thought was just unfair. For example, in 6th season, I cannot begin to imagine that Queen Elizabeth would have ever considered abdication. Also, I have a hard time believing that Princess Anne would have ever counseled her to do so. Also, the scenes where Diana's ghost counseled Queen Elizabeth was just over the top. At that point, I though the writers and producers had jumped the shark. What bothers me most is that many people watching The Crown may believe that everything they watch is actually true. At the beginning of Season 5, I did not care for Imelda Staunton's portrayal of Queen Elizabeth. She came across as very cold, something that I never felt Queen Elizabeth was. But, by the end of this last season, her character had softened and I really liked her portrayal. I thought the actor who portrayed Prince William in the last half of season 6 did an excellent job. Overall, I found this last season enjoyable. I was so happy to see Claire Foy in the last show. In my humble opinion, she did the best acting of anyone in the entire six seasons. I am really kind of sad to see the series end.

Last edited:
I found serie 6 part 2 particularly bad, i mean Hallmak channel movie bad ( except maybe the Margaret episode). The actors playing Will, Harry and Kate ( and i'm not even talking about Carole Oh my) are just plain boring if not laughable.

What a disappointing finale !

The sole relief was to see the gentle approach to the Charles and Camilla story through the whole serie ...

It has become so pantomime, so exaggerated. Carole is portrayed awfully in a way that is clearly untrue. It amazes me how sloppy they have become with accuracy as the series progress - I mean we all know William was with Charles and Harry on a ski holiday when the Queen Mother died, not at a fashion show snogging Catherine. Likewise we know the whole family wasn't at her bedside.

In some ways I can get onboard with ideas like William not planning at being at the jubilee as it gives us a story line about service but hugely wrong facts when we publicly and clearly know different is just pretty poor.

What bothers me most is that many people watching The Crown may believe that everything they watch is actually true.

I think I mentioned up-thread that I had a Facebook "conversation" with a person on a royalty page who insisted that everything on "The Crown" was true because the show was "sanctioned by the Royal Family - it's their show." That's why I generally don't watch most of these types of productions - I just can't handle having things so far away from reality.

Two examples: in "The Tudors": Henry VIII was of course, six feet three (or four) inches tall with bright red hair. Jonathan Rhys-Myers, much shorter with dark brown hair, while a fine actor, was horribly miscast. Also, anything that shows Catherine of Aragon with dark hair; she had reddish-auburn hair with bright blue eyes.

In "The White Queen" when Edward IV introduced Elizabeth Wydville as his new queen, they showed his younger brother Richard and his future Queen, Anne Neville, as flirtatious teens. In reality, Richard was 12 and Anne was not yet nine years old. (I admit I never actually watched either show, but I did see a few clips posted online.)

I realize that dramatic license is taken with most shows, but the reality is often far more dramatic than any fiction the writers can come up with.

I'm in the middle of Willsmania. I'm in love with that ski lodge!

I watched the first 2 episodes of Season 6 on Saturday night and Imelda Staunton has grown on me as the queen ,I still prefer Olivia Colman
in the role.

I have an uneasy feeling about the next 2 episodes.

I’ve just watched the final episode and, to my surprise, I found it quite moving and very well done. What has made this whole venture successful has been the quality of the actors, and this final episode made this apparent in spades. I’ve found some aspects of this, and previous series, cringe worthy, but at other times I have greatly appreciated the high production values and the attention to detail by the excellent cast. Glad they have stopped now and spared us the most recent issues, but overall I think this latest series has done pretty well.

I realize that dramatic license is taken with most shows, but the reality is often far more dramatic than any fiction the writers can come up with.

I agree and I think it is sometimes interesting to see what opportunities the writers have missed e.g. nothing was made of Charles' closeness to the Queen Mother which would have provided the perfect way to explain / talk about his extravagance and parent issues (perfect for after the death of Diana when he was sole parenting W&H). Likewise they missed the chance to have a heart to heart moment between Charles with William and Harry when they found out about the Queen Mother's passing on their ski holiday by instead making up that William was at that moment snogging Catherine.

I get they can't cover everything but if you are going to have the Queen Mother dying on screen then take the opportunities it presents otherwise open with it having happened already and moving straight onto the Jubilee.

I think the problem is they tried to cover too many stories in too many time lines - they should have focussed on things from the Queen's perspective maybe, so we found out about things when the Queen would have rather than trying to focus on the Queen but also jumping about making other story lines fit into the same events they wanted to tell.

I think I mentioned up-thread that I had a Facebook "conversation" with a person on a royalty page who insisted that everything on "The Crown" was true because the show was "sanctioned by the Royal Family - it's their show." That's why I generally don't watch most of these types of productions - I just can't handle having things so far away from reality.

Two examples: in "The Tudors": Henry VIII was of course, six feet three (or four) inches tall with bright red hair. Jonathan Rhys-Myers, much shorter with dark brown hair, while a fine actor, was horribly miscast. Also, anything that shows Catherine of Aragon with dark hair; she had reddish-auburn hair with bright blue eyes.

In "The White Queen" when Edward IV introduced Elizabeth Wydville as his new queen, they showed his younger brother Richard and his future Queen, Anne Neville, as flirtatious teens. In reality, Richard was 12 and Anne was not yet nine years old. (I admit I never actually watched either show, but I did see a few clips posted online.)

:previous: This exactly. I was thinking that if the writers had stuck with the truth, it would have been even more interesting.

I've just finished the last season and thought it was well done. The end is very moving. Although HM carried on for another 17 years after the final scene in the show, it was a good thing to end it there and leave out whatever came after.
Not every show is capable of an ending in style and dignity.
I understand that for dramaturcigal reasons they had to mention a possible abdication and I am sure the topic will have gone through the Queen's mind at times, I don't think it happened the way it was shown.

This is very cute, informative, and hilarious. Their chemistry is just as good as Claire and Matt!

I think the problem is they tried to cover too many stories in too many time lines - they should have focussed on things from the Queen's perspective maybe, so we found out about things when the Queen would have rather than trying to focus on the Queen but also jumping about making other story lines fit into the same events they wanted to tell.

That is exactly the problem for me. While we had Margaret's storyline in the first two seasons, it was still a show about the Queen and how she saw the world and events happening around her. So many things happened during the later years of her reign, yet the show seemed to be focused only on the love life of the next two people in line to the throne with the Queen moved to the side.

While I understand that's how it kinda felt during those years, with the younger generation taking the attention away from "the boss", narratively speaking I would have preferred it to stay the way it was in the "Claire Foy" era.

Hi, I have just finished the last episode of series 6 and I mist say, I have been moved to tears and I am normally not on the whiney side.

What a brave, old, little lady, the Queen Elisabeth!

Like my grandma!

And this was the very good side of this series about the First Family of Great Britain: It showed, how important families are - in good times and in the bad.

I stopped watching the show after season 2 ended, but I thought I would watch the last two episodes. I thought that the depiction of Princess Margaret as she became ill and faced death was very moving. The end of the last episode was very creative--showing the Queen planning her funeral and walking alone down the long aisle. It was a way of bridging the episode era with the later era of the Queen's death--and a respectful nod to her passing without explicitly including it in the plot.

I thought season 6 was far better than I had anticipated,the King Tony Blair dream episode was the exception.

I was surprised that the queen mother who was a very popular royal figure had been relegated to a minor character by Season 5 and 6 .
There was no mention of her 100 birthday which was a big celebration in 2000.

Imelda Staunton was wonderful as the queen, as was Lesley Manville as Princess Margaret.
I also thought that Elizabeth Debicki was excellent as Diana.

I just finished the last episode and I was moved to tears.
The dam broke when a young Princess Elizabeth in her Women’s Royal army Corp saluted the old queen and her casket.

The last episode has to be one of best ever. I have watched the series from start to finish and I cannot for the life of me wonder why anyone would find fault with the series. It has brilliantly painted everyone well even while taking artistic liberties. The series was just a masterpiece!

I did enjoy the series, despite all the many inaccuracies.
I wish they'd gone one more season, and finished with the ending of the Queen's reign.

The dam broke when a young Princess Elizabeth in her Women’s Royal army Corp saluted the old queen and her casket.

What am I missing here? Elizabeth was Queen when her grandmother died in 1953. While I watched The Crown, I don’t recall a scene like this.

The last episode has to be one of best ever. I have watched the series from start to finish and I cannot for the life of me wonder why anyone would find fault with the series. It has brilliantly painted everyone well even while taking artistic liberties. The series was just a masterpiece!

Alisa-Do you know if the person in the casket was QEII or Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother?

What am I missing here? Elizabeth was Queen when her grandmother died in 1953. While I watched The Crown, I don’t recall a scene like this.

The last episode of S6 where the '4 Elizabeth's' appear at St George's chapel and the coffin with the crown is in the centre.

Re-watch the series finale- the episode "Sleep dearie sleep"

Alisa-Do you know if the person in the casket was QEII or Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother?

The person in the casket was obviously QEII. The episode was focused primarily on Queen Elizabeth II coming to terms with the eventuality of her death and having to plan her own funeral.
In the final scenes, the old Queen Elizabeth II has finally made peace with the fact that she will eventually die. This noted by the fact that she can finally envision her coffin in St. George's chapel draped with the royal standard and the crown while the piper plays "Sleep Dearie sleep".

Back
Top Bottom