The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-01-2021, 08:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Because trying to create an illusion of the person they play is what actors have done for the last 3000 years.
Then why not pick an actress who at least resembles Diana?

Old 03-01-2021, 08:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
Then why not pick an actress who at least resembles Diana?
Because very few actresses do? resembling the person isn't necessary for playing htem...

Old 03-01-2021, 08:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

The BAFTAS will be interesting. Wonder if they get a lot of those awards too.

The actress portraying Diana sounded a lot like her, that was probably more key than her exact look, which was pretty good.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The Crown actually swept most of the awards in the TV drama series category
Which really surprised me as Season 4 was my least favourite.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think Season 4 and the rest (hearing 5 or 6) will be fairly uncomfortable to watch, it is too recent ...events are too new.

LaRae
Old 03-01-2021, 10:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

By now we all know that The Crown is only loosely based on historical truths and much of it is fictionalized, but I have to admit that I really have enjoyed it and thought that it was well-acted. All those who won awards were well-deserved!
Old 03-01-2021, 11:25 AM
Royal Highness

It's fiction. People don't have to look exactly like whom they play, but Emma Corrin was lauded for nailing Diana's voice and mannerisms. If all someone is going by are pictures, then it's a natural response to get annoyed that she doesn't 'look' enough like Diana. They cast her because she's a good actress. (The actress for the next season, Elizabeth Debicki, will probably suit people better visually, but who knows how she'll do.)

For that matter, Olivia Coleman looks basically nothing like the Queen, but I feel like she played her much better this season. Found her feet, grew into the part, or we all stopped missing Claire Foy, I dunno. (Or she's just now the Queen I remember?)

Now we wait for Dolores Umbridge.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Which really surprised me as Season 4 was my least favourite.
Yes I agree. Too much melodrama.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'm not sure if they've started work on season 5 yet and if so I doubt we'll see series 5 until at least 2022 so there will be some wait for Imelda as QEII.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have to say I thought the actor and actress playing Charles and Diana nailed it, they had them to a tee.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Yes I agree. Too much melodrama.
The queen mother underused most onscreen time involved her drinking or eating!
Old 03-01-2021, 03:07 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The queen mother underused most onscreen time involved her drinking or eating!
Not convinced they got that casting right at all.

And as you imply Queen Elizabeth should have been a more central figure. She remained a key influence on The Queen but that's not covered at all.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Not convinced they got that casting right at all.

And as you imply Queen Elizabeth should have been a more central figure. She remained a key influence on The Queen but that's not covered at all.
I have mixed feelings about the casting of Marion Bailey as the queen mother and I agree she should have been a more central figure in both Season 3 and 4.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Because very few actresses do? resembling the person isn't necessary for playing htem...

This actress gave an interview to the Mail Online where she said her mother looked so much like Diana people fainted when they saw her. I rolled my eyes so hard they almost got stuck.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:48 PM
Courtier

She did channel Diana. She did not have to look exactly like her. I was not sure about her playing Diana but she sure carried it off, very captivating performance. This actress has a great future.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Season 4 won the Golden Globe for best drama series, what is ok when I look at the competition.
I think it was nicely done and when I watched it, I was quite impressed with Josh O'Connor as Charles, Emma was ok as Diana but nothing more.

But looking at the competition, I was quite surprised to see Josh actually win, even more so Emma.
Having said that, I would have bet a years' salary on Gillian Anderson win for her portrait of Maggie T., as I thought she was superb. So her winning a GG was an absolute no brainer to me, I thought her performance was the highlight of season 4, outstanding.
Looking forward to season 5.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
This actress gave an interview to the Mail Online where she said her mother looked so much like Diana people fainted when they saw her. I rolled my eyes so hard they almost got stuck.
Sorry, do you mean the actress's mother resembled Diana? and people fainted when they saw her? honestly!
Old 03-02-2021, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Having said that, I would have bet a years' salary on Gillian Anderson win for her portrait of Maggie T., as I thought she was superb. So her winning a GG was an absolute no brainer to me, I thought her performance was the highlight of season 4, outstanding.
Looking forward to season 5.
Completely agree about Gillian Anderson she was outstanding as the Iron Lady.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:11 AM
Commoner

I'm a little late joining this discussion because I just finished watching the series.

I actually learned quite a bit from it. There were a couple things I did fact-check to make sure I knew the difference between truth and fiction.

I didn't know Her Majesty made that fantastic speech when she was only 21 and not yet Queen.

I knew nothing about Aberfan. That broke my heart.

I didn't know Prince Charles actually did say, "Whatever 'in love' means" during that interview. Poor Diana. I saw the real interview, and I thought Diana handled it pretty well.

But - LOL!! - did any one see that big old rat that ran across the floor in front of the Queen Mother when they were waiting for the call from Prince Charles? Oh my goodness!!

I liked the series, warts and all.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Sorry, do you mean the actress's mother resembled Diana? and people fainted when they saw her? honestly!

That's what she said. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...a-toddler.html

Tags
british royal family, duke of edinburgh, queen elisabeth, the crown