The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-22-2020, 09:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
That's it in a nutshell, Denville. Although I do really enjoy historical fiction dramas on Netflix (Reign, The Last Kingdom, The Borgias etc), I *know* it's fictionalized and if i want the *real* history, there are a gazillion histories compiled by experts that give the real information should i choose to look for it. (which i do). That's the beauty of being a bookaholic. The historical fictional dramas whet the appetite.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:37 AM
Royal Highness

I disagree, I believe Netflix should have added a warning before each episode, given how thoroughly irresponsible the Crown is

Old 12-22-2020, 11:35 AM
Serene Highness

Just because some people are history buffs and can discern the factual parts from the fictitous parts, that does not mean that all viewers are in that boat. I am fine with some poetic license but if significant portions of what is broadcast is made up then I think there should be a disclaimer.

I am wondering if there was a disclaimer for The Queen, but regardless if there was or wasn't, I think there should be a disclaimer in this situation, especially since it was requested and there is no disputing that a significant portion is fictionalized.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:16 PM
Serene Highness

Most historical dramas deal with the dead not the living. I don't see the point of opening old wounds. But the peddlers of this (beautifully produced) latest fantasy are making lots of money so they're not going to give a damn.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
This is an excellent point. "The Crown" *is* dealing with people that are still making history and are still alive. The quality of the production of this series has drastically gone downhill since they delved into the Diana years and reopened all the controversy surrounding the 'War of the Wales".

It's surprising, in a way, that there hasn't been lawsuits filed yet.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
This is an excellent point. "The Crown" *is* dealing with people that are still making history and are still alive. The quality of the production of this series has drastically gone downhill since they delved into the Diana years and reopened all the controversy surrounding the 'War of the Wales".

From the clips I've seen, honestly, it seemed a pretty rubibsh series.. with the queen being portrayed as this aggressive woman.. when generally she's held to be someone who avoids confrontation. Either Olivia Colman is a dire actress or the script is very bad.. bit of both..
and what suits could be filed?
Old 12-22-2020, 03:22 PM
Gentry

I really enjoy British history, but if I wasn't and knew very little about any of the characters in the story I believe I would, with out question, say, "Oh, so that was how it went." Or, "So that was what she/he was like." Five years from now when possibly a teenager was watching it, they too might assume that this to be the truth and 'real' history. That would be a shame though. Reading the Earl, Charles Spencer's book, 'The White Ship', a few times he mentions that chroniclers from the 11th and 12th century would embellish facts or give slanted versions of a ruler's personality depending on the political climate at the time of the writing. So even history is not exactly word perfect. The Crown is just a source of income for their industry. I doubt they even give a hoot about real facts.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayal View Post
I really enjoy British history, but if I wasn't and knew very little about any of the characters in the story I believe I would, with out question, say, "Oh, so that was how it went." Or, "So that was what she/he was like." Five years from now when possibly a teenager was watching it, they too might assume that this to be the truth and 'real' history. That would be a shame though. Reading the Earl, Charles Spencer's book, 'The White Ship', a few times he mentions that chroniclers from the 11th and 12th century would embellish facts or give slanted versions of a ruler's personality depending on the political climate at the time of the writing. So even history is not exactly word perfect. The Crown is just a source of income for their industry. I doubt they even give a hoot about real facts.
Of course they dont. But anyone who watches historical dramas or reads them, if they do a little research outside the TV, will find that even the best ones are not 100% accurate..
Old 12-22-2020, 03:31 PM
Courtier

"The Crown" was not written for royal watchers, it was written as a general source of entertainment for people who just know some things about the BRF.

I don't take it as a "serious" thing nor I complain about it for that same reason, I like watching the scenarios, some of the historical things that happened and I watch the storyline as I'd watch anything else on Netflix.

It is a soap opera with a great production and awesome actors. Nothing more, nothing less than that.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
"The Crown" was not written for royal watchers, it was written as a general source of entertainment for people who just know some things about the BRF.

I don't take it as a "serious" thing nor I complain about it for that same reason, I like watching the scenarios, some of the historical things that happened and I watch the storyline as I'd watch anything else on Netflix.

It is a soap opera with a great production and awesome actors. Nothing more, nothing less than that.
I'm sorry, but this mere "soap opera" has had a real effect on real, living people.........and in a very negative way. Although the polls don't really matter since the monarchy is not an elective position, Charles' popularity has severely declined based on the one-dimensional, villainous portrait of him. That's the British public we're talking about - not Americans, whose negative opinion of him doesn't matter. We're talking about the future King. It's not even just Charles, either.

I DO blame the people watching for taking everything at face value and pooh-poohing the historians who are trying to set the facts straight, but first and foremost I blame Peter Morgan, who has no interest in anything other than promoting his Republican agenda.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Why is it surprising? The BRF can't file lawsuits......and Peter Morgan knows that....If I'm the widow of Charles' friend, Hugh Lindsay, I'd want to file a suit also, but....based on what? Morgan didn't give a damn about her feelings and he went right ahead and did what he wanted; you can't litigate bad taste.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I'm sorry, but this mere "soap opera" has had a real effect on real, living people.........and in a very negative way. Although the polls don't really matter since the monarchy is not an elective position, Charles' popularity has severely declined based on the one-dimensional, villainous portrait of him. That's the British public we're talking about - not Americans, whose negative opinion of him doesn't matter. We're talking about the future King. It's not even just Charles, either.

I DO blame the people watching for taking everything at face value and pooh-poohing the historians who are trying to set the facts straight, but first and foremost I blame Peter Morgan, who has no interest in anything other than promoting his Republican agenda.
Charles' ratings have not been particularly good for some time...
Old 12-22-2020, 06:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Charles' ratings have not been particularly good for some time...
I’m aware of that, but irrelevant. They dipped by 5% - that’s a significant drop just from June, and it’s clearly to do with the Crown.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I’m aware of that, but irrelevant. They dipped by 5% - that’s a significant drop just from June, and it’s clearly to do with the Crown.
I dont think its helped but the show doesnt IMO give a very charming portrait of the queen, for example yet her ratings are OK. IN the clips I've seen she's always snarling and snapping at people in a way that I think she is much too reserved and polite to be....Charles has lost some of the ground he gained in the interim years since the very low times of the 1990s, but there may be other factors...He isn't old enough to be a grand old man, he has a son who has a nice pretty wife and family, and the queen's fairly popular...He is perceived as stuffy and a bit interfering, as well as "unfaithful to Diana".
Old 12-23-2020, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

A look back at Season 3 behind the scenes during filming in Wales.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Ok so I started Season 4 on Christmas night and Gillian Anderson is simply amazing as the Iron Lady and my favourite character so far.

Where are Diana's parents they were mentioned but have not appeared onscreen so far.

All the queen mother seems to do is drink and watch tv.

Tags
british royal family, duke of edinburgh, queen elisabeth, the crown