The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-25-2020, 08:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
For example there was some stuff when Harry and Meg left, claiming that Will had said he was terribly worried about his brother, and couldn't "put his arms round him" etc. I cannot believe that William would say that to anyone in the press or to any of his friends unless he was quite quite sure that they wouldn't repeat it...
I remember that....William is very private, isn't he?

On another note - and I'll post also in Charles' thread - this pathetic show has caused Charles' official Twitter account to "turn off" comments (at least on the most recent tweet) thanks to a stream of hate.

Quote:
Avoiding the hate? The Clarence House Twitter account, which posts updates about Prince Charles and his wife, Duchess Camilla, turned off comments on a tweet shared on Tuesday, November 24.

“The Duchess of Cornwall, Patron of @EmmausUK, recently joined a video call with staff and formerly homeless residents of @EmmausBrighton, known as companions, to discuss the challenges faced by the charity as a result of the coronavirus crisis,” the message read. Only users who the Clarence House account follows are able to reply to the tweet.

The change comes as the Prince of Wales, 71, and the Duchess of Cornwall, 72, have been flooded with comments following season 4 of The Crown, which dropped on Netflix on November 15. Ever since the debut of the new season — which chronicles Prince Charles’ overlapping relationships with Princess Diana and Parker Bowles — some followers have been sending hateful messages to the couple.

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...mid-the-crown/

Old 11-25-2020, 09:36 PM
Serene Highness

That's terrible that Clarence House has to "turn off comments" just because some vile republicans, Sussex Squad and Diana fans considered The Crown as facts, because Peter Morgan's narrative suits their agenda.

These people swoop so low that some of them are willing to "bring down the monarchy". I really wish that I was not exaggerating right there, but I should never underestimate these republicans, Sussex Squad and Diana fans given the power of social media and other online medium.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post

That's terrible that Clarence House has to "turn off comments" just because some vile republicans, Sussex Squad and Diana fans considered The Crown as facts, because Peter Morgan's narrative suits their agenda.

These people swoop so low that some of them are willing to "bring down the monarchy". I really wish that I was not exaggerating right there, but I should never underestimate these republicans, Sussex Squad and Diana fans given the power of social media and other online medium.
It’s shameful, but this is what Morgan wanted - and he wanted to crucify Charles. I’m not sure if you’re familiar with Tumblr, but it’s essentially a place where people blog and reblog posts about subjects they like. On my friend’s “board”, I saw she’d reblogged a nasty, angry post where the original poster said something like “there, Diana will forever be loved, forever be the People’s Princess, and Charles will just be remembered for wanting to be Camilla’s tampon”. She tagged her post “the Crown. The truth”. I was so dismayed. I sent her a private message begging her not to take this garbage for the truth, that Morgan makes things up to suit his agenda (which in this case is destroying the heir to the throne). I suspect it’s mostly Americans who are falling for this ...
Old 11-25-2020, 10:11 PM
Serene Highness

I have been avoiding tumblr ever since someone told me about how toxic and terrible the environment is (along with Ask.Fm). I only used Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, because these are the medium where public figures give updates. For these three social media and Youtube in some cases, the comments have become ridiculous, hence I have started avoiding them altogether.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Nothing is that important to me that I need to go searching for other people's nasty and vile comments about something so inane as a historical fiction drama such as 'The Crown" is. I've watched all four seasons, expressed my views on the scenarios and I'm done with it now until another season is released.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I have been avoiding tumblr ever since someone told me about how toxic and terrible the environment is (along with Ask.Fm). I only used Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, because these are the medium where public figures give updates. For these three social media and Youtube in some cases, the comments have become ridiculous, hence I have started avoiding them altogether.
I guess I haven't noticed .........I pretty much stick to reblogging people I know and a few topics. On Tumblr, you can avoid people or topics you don't like.

I only have FB because I used to chat with a friend on it - I really don't use it, and considering what an awful person Mark Zuckerberg is, I'm tempted to just delete it. Twitter can absolutely be toxic - it's why, when Prince Charles trended as a topic recently, I blocked/muted it. Really, I just make a point to visit the Royal reporters' Twitter that I like and try to remember not to read the comments under their tweets, because people are vicious and vulgar, not to mention cruel (to the reporters as well as the Royals).
Old 11-26-2020, 03:44 AM
Royal Highness

I got a twitter account at the beginning to enter a competition. It really doesnt hold interest for me - but I did follow some people and placed some comments in a few places. I recently received a private message from someone that was launching a "War for the Return of King Harry and Queen Meghan" - complete with links to websites, videos ect about their cause and everything. Their group boasts membership of hundreds of thousands - and it is spread out across all social platforms. I rejected the invite and reported the group on twitter.
But I do wonder how we got here - when did a harmless thing like royal watching became so partisan. How did it get so vicious that people (really hoping it is mostly children) get so rallied up about things they barely understand that they are prompted into action. I do place some blame at the media for this - but the royals themselves could have calmed this down as well - and i mean both Harry & Meghan/ Royals and the Diana/ Charles. Calmer heads could have prevailed - if they had spoken.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

This is a fantastic article....I am worried about Charles. Despite my loathing for my fellow Americans’ attitude towards him, I know that it’s irrelevant. However, it’s not irrelevant for the British people. The only perhaps mitigating factor is that the people most likely to believe this garbage and hate Charles are ones who already don’t like him.

Simon Jenkins, columnist for the Guardian:

Quote:
“I find it offensive when people dump standards of veracity in relating contemporary history,” Mr. Jenkins said. “If I did that as a journalist, I’d be hauled up before the press council while these people get prizes.”

Like others, Mr. Jenkins pointed to an episode-by-episode analysis by Hugo Vickers, a royal historian, which found whoppers large and small in the series and has become Exhibit A for its prevarications.

Quote:
Behind the frustration with “The Crown” is a recognition that, right or wrong, its version of the royal family is likely to serve as the go-to narrative for a generation of viewers, particularly young ones, who do not remember the 1980s, let alone the more distant events covered in earlier seasons.

“They’ll watch it and think this is the way it was,” said Dickie Arbiter, who served as a press secretary to the queen from 1988 to 2000. He took issue with parts of the plot, including a scene in which aides to Charles question Diana about whether she is mentally stable enough to travel alone to New York City.

“I was actually at that meeting,” Mr. Arbiter said. “No courtier would ever say that in a million years.”

The biggest problem, said Penny Junor, who has written biographies of Charles, Diana and Mrs. Thatcher, is that “The Crown” is a prodigiously effective piece of entertainment. That, she says, poses a particular threat to Charles, who arguably comes off worst in the series and who is likely to ascend the throne before memories of his grim, hunched portrayal have completely faded.

“It is wonderful television,” Ms. Junor said. “It is beautifully acted — the mannerisms are perfect. But it is fiction, and it is very destructive.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/26/w...t-Fiction.html
Old 11-26-2020, 07:33 AM
Majesty

Well the thing is.. there IS an issue with Charles and Camilla. I think that for a time back a few years ago, there was an improvement and people had gotten over the issues of Diana etc and were Ok with the 2 of them.. but in the past few years, it seems to have come up again that they are not as popular as they should be and they are now much closer to the time when Charles will be King.. I don't know if it has to do with - partly, the 2017 documentaries about Diana for her anniversary which I think stirred up the issues again for younger people...
Old 11-26-2020, 07:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Well the thing is.. there IS an issue with Charles and Camilla. I think that for a time back a few years ago, there was an improvement and people had gotten over the issues of Diana etc and were Ok with the 2 of them.. but in the past few years, it seems to have come up again that they are not as popular as they should be and they are now much closer to the time when Charles will be King.. I don't know if it has to do with - partly, the 2017 documentaries about Diana for her anniversary which I think stirred up the issues again for younger people...
The Diana anniversary was bad for Charles in that it did stir up old(er) resentments, but then his walking Meghan down the aisle helped many people see a side to him that they had never acknowledged.

Charles (I’ll leave Camilla out of this as he’s the heir) is never going to be popular - and that’s just a fact which he seems to have come to terms with. He’ll still reign as best he can even without the love and support of many of his subjects. I just loathe the ***** that the Crown is making him into a mustache twirling villain so Morgan can get his jollies; no doubt he wants to make it harder for Charles as King. Of course my issues with this **** show go further than just Charles...
Old 11-26-2020, 12:26 PM
Aristocracy

Summaries of "The Crown":

Charles pines. Diana whines. The Queen dines.

OR

Charles mopes. Diana hopes. The Queen copes.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
The Diana anniversary was bad for Charles in that it did stir up old(er) resentments, but then his walking Meghan down the aisle helped many people see a side to him that they had never acknowledged.

Charles (I’ll leave Camilla out of this as he’s the heir) is never going to be popular - and that’s just a fact which he seems to have come to terms with. He’ll still reign as best he can even without the love and support of many of his subjects. I just loathe the ***** that the Crown is making him into a mustache twirling villain so Morgan can get his jollies; no doubt he wants to make it harder for Charles as King. Of course my issues with this **** show go further than just Charles...
I dont think that his walking Meghan down the aisle was likely to make any diference to people who were hostile to him. It was nice of him to do it, but then again, it was possibly just him stepping inot an awkward breach and being polite.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

Ye gods there are some weirdos around. These people need to get of their basements & get a life.

And there may be lots of arguments for a republic but none of them should have anything to do with the personal lives of members of the royal family. Just bizarre.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I got a twitter account at the beginning to enter a competition. It really doesnt hold interest for me - but I did follow some people and placed some comments in a few places. I recently received a private message from someone that was launching a "War for the Return of King Harry and Queen Meghan" - complete with links to websites, videos ect about their cause and everything. Their group boasts membership of hundreds of thousands - and it is spread out across all social platforms. I rejected the invite and reported the group on twitter.
But I do wonder how we got here - when did a harmless thing like royal watching became so partisan. How did it get so vicious that people (really hoping it is mostly children) get so rallied up about things they barely understand that they are prompted into action. I do place some blame at the media for this - but the royals themselves could have calmed this down as well - and i mean both Harry & Meghan/ Royals and the Diana/ Charles. Calmer heads could have prevailed - if they had spoken.
It is all very peculiar. It does sound as you say that such people have no understanding of the British monarchy. I think there's also a very nasty undercurrent of anglophobia sometimes.
Old 11-26-2020, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

My two cents- no matter how The Crown portrayed the story of the marriage, the unembellished details are quite damning. You wouldn’t like that story if it happened in your own family or religious group, and many won’t choose to forgive and forget entirely.

On the other hand, I’m glad to see that Charles is happy for the first time in his life.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-26-2020, 05:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Ye gods there are some weirdos around. These people need to get of their basements & get a life.

And there may be lots of arguments for a republic but none of them should have anything to do with the personal lives of members of the royal family. Just bizarre.
Why does the so-called Sussex Squad (and Harry and Meghan) get dragged into practically every thread, especially one regarding viewers reactions to a drama series purportedly portraying the marriage of Charles and Diana of over thirty five years ago?

And this is probably off topic, but the private lives of monarchs and heirs do matter in discussions about replacing monarchies with republics. You can point to the Edward VIII/Wallis Simpson romance, the behaviour of King Carol of Romania when heir and King, and the Juan Carlos abdication as just a few examples.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:22 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

And on that note let's move on from inserting the Duke and Duchess of Sussex into this thread on 'The Crown'. A netflix series in which neither has been portrayed thus far. Further posts on this subject will be deleted.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Somerleyton Hall was used during filming of Netflix's The Crown as a recreation for Sandringham.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-suffolk-55062901
Old 11-27-2020, 10:40 AM
Majesty

Costume drama,with emphasizing on costumes....loved that bit...and the drama?
Nah,not so except for the Thatcher bits...

But fiction and low lifes thinking it was all real!
Low and behold,what sort of people really take this serious?
Plenty?Yes,I am afraid so,indeed!

I support a disclaimer!!
Old 11-27-2020, 12:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Why does the so-called Sussex Squad (and Harry and Meghan) get dragged into practically every thread, especially one regarding viewers reactions to a drama series purportedly portraying the marriage of Charles and Diana of over thirty five years ago?

And this is probably off topic, but the private lives of monarchs and heirs do matter in discussions about replacing monarchies with republics. You can point to the Edward VIII/Wallis Simpson romance, the behaviour of King Carol of Romania when heir and King, and the Juan Carlos abdication as just a few examples.
[...]

We'll have to agree to differ on the second point. The UK is not going to upend its constitution & become a republic because of someone's personal life. Certainly not the present heir. If the British want to remain a monarchy they'll just get another monarch if an existing one goes rogue. Discussions about a republic in 1936 were just that. Nobody wanted it. Romania & Spain I know little about so I can't comment. Other than they're not the UK. Different histories, cultures & societies so I'm not sure if the comparison really stands.

Tags
british royal family, duke of edinburgh, queen elisabeth, the crown