The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #741  
Old 11-17-2020, 05:52 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Charles had deep seated problems too...everyone has baggage. They were ill suited for each other.


LaRae
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #742  
Old 11-17-2020, 06:06 AM
AC21091968's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,440
The Telegraph is definitely on the side with the British Royal Family and Margaret Thatcher (Not surprisingly of course). From reading at the headline, it is probably the most critical on production in The Crown

The Royal family are right to be furious about The Crown – this series is a disgrace
Netflix’s high-rent soap opera is an appalling travesty of history, wilfully misrepresenting everyone from Mrs Thatcher to the Queen
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/roy...ries-disgrace/

Dickie Arbiter has tweeted again about The Crown, but this time with a picture of a newspaper column, written by Matthew Moore from The Times.
Dickie Arbiter [Flag of United Kingdom] @RoyalDickie
So #PeterMorgan has finally admitted scenes in @TheCrown4 - covering 1977 to 1990 - are made up. And why is HM's same PS #MartinCharteris there throughout? He retired in '77. As for the programme meeting (E10) referring to #Diana's mental health - it didn't happen. I was there
7:57 PM · Nov 17, 2020·Twitter for Android
https://twitter.com/RoyalDickie/stat...23193947566082

Here is the online version of the article:
The Crown writer defends making up scenes about Charles and Mountbatten
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-crown-writer-defends-making-up-scenes-about-charles-and-camilla-7jx50wlzf
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #743  
Old 11-17-2020, 06:28 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
The irony is enough to choke a horse!


LaRae
Reply With Quote
  #744  
Old 11-17-2020, 06:53 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
(...)

I don’t buy either of these arguments, to be honest. I think the media is frankly being fair - maybe they learned lessons from the War of the Wales, maybe they learned that Charles wasn’t a mustache twirling villain and Diana a saint...or maybe they have some journalistic integrity after all. I do think most seem to be sympathetic with Charles and Camilla, especially because they’ve done so much good, and have proven not to be these cold ogres. I’m sure they’re sympathetic to William, who has to deal with this garbage being dredged up again and both his parents’ hurt...and to HM and other Royals who are being victimized so that this Republican weasel can make money and get attention.
Rather funny isn't it, since republican always claims that royals are only wasting taxpayer's money, that the arguments on how royals bring money to the country through tourism is empty propaganda with no solid proof (France doesn't have royalty, but tourists still come, etc), yet here he is, a republican making money off the royal's life in with the key selling value is "the royal" status itself.
Reply With Quote
  #745  
Old 11-17-2020, 06:54 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 5,371
I'm half-way through the season now, and so far no one seems likeable.
Every person comes across as embittered and unhappy (with the exception of the Queen, who seems oblivious).

The show apparently blames Diana's issues on Charles, for acting cold and indifferent to his wife.
Of course we who follow the RF know that her problems predated her marriage, but much of the public does not.

Then there's Camilla, whose behavior verges on smug and catty.
And it's hard to decide which of Charles' siblings comes across as the most obnoxious! (The "favorite child" segment made me wince).

This show does the RF no favors, that's for certain.
Reply With Quote
  #746  
Old 11-17-2020, 07:21 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Oakland, United States
Posts: 576
Right well.. I can't even get past episode one. I loved the first two seasons (and was willing to look the other way to some of the inaccuracies! was okay-ish with season 3, and I think Josh and Erin were the breakout of that season.
But I don't think I can watch season 4. already I can detect much wrong, and i'm sorry, as much as I am sympathetic to Diana, I am also sympathetic to Charles and Camilla. But while last year I was able to handle Josh as Charles, somehow this season his portrayal feels wrong and too off.

I am also pissed off by Sussex Squad fools who take this for gospel and make parallels to Diana, when the situations are so incredibly different (though some stuff are similar).

I like the yin/yang method to life: no person is wholly evil nor are they wholly bad.
I don't think Charles did things because he wanted to be cruel to Diana (they obviously cared and even loved one another at first), nor is Camilla a cruel woman (though it is her love and decision to marry APB that had eventually led Charles to agree to marry Diana), and I don't think Diana was a complete innocent (she was at first of course, being so young and naive, but I think she knew to be plenty manipulative including emotionally, when it suited her).
I don't think Meghan is wholly bad, though I question the motivations behind her actions and decisions. Neither is Harry wholly good- but these are irrelevant to this thread.


Also, I am still not over that we never got to see Anne kidnapping attempt and her badass responds, and her participation in the Olympics!
Reply With Quote
  #747  
Old 11-17-2020, 08:16 AM
Claire's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,611
Question - I was told that the estate of Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean do not allow movies and series made of them. That permission has to be obtained from the estate - which is how they are able to control the public image.
Is this truth? And if it is cant they do something similar for Diana and the royal family in general?
Reply With Quote
  #748  
Old 11-17-2020, 08:18 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 830
My big problem with the Crown is the characters don't look like the real people they are playing. It is most noticeable with Diana and it's a big distraction for me.
Reply With Quote
  #749  
Old 11-17-2020, 08:20 AM
Claire's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
Right well.. I can't even get past episode one. I loved the first two seasons (and was willing to look the other way to some of the inaccuracies! was okay-ish with season 3, and I think Josh and Erin were the breakout of that season.
But I don't think I can watch season 4. already I can detect much wrong, and i'm sorry, as much as I am sympathetic to Diana, I am also sympathetic to Charles and Camilla. But while last year I was able to handle Josh as Charles, somehow this season his portrayal feels wrong and too off.
I also just had enough - could someone people explain how they think that the royals hunting can be compared to a terrorist attack? The juxtaposition of the shot is horrible. They seem to be saying that royal hunt so does the IRA so that is it.
I really think that this session had an agenda - make the royals seem as out of touch, barbaric and heartless as possible. My husband thinks it so Harry and William will be seen as the coming of the Messiahs. I am hoping the season will be cancelled.
Reply With Quote
  #750  
Old 11-17-2020, 08:22 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I also just had enough - could someone people explain how they think that the royals hunting can be compared to a terrorist attack? The juxtaposition of the shot is horrible. They seem to be saying that royal hunt so does the IRA so that is it.
I really think that this session had an agenda - make the royals seem as out of touch, barbaric and heartless as possible. My husband thinks it so Harry and William will be seen as the coming of the Messiahs. I am hoping the season will be cancelled.

I thought they weren't going to go as far as to have Harry and William in it?
Reply With Quote
  #751  
Old 11-17-2020, 08:26 AM
AC21091968's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Question - I was told that the estate of Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean do not allow movies and series made of them. That permission has to be obtained from the estate - which is how they are able to control the public image.
Is this truth? And if it is cant they do something similar for Diana and the royal family in general?
From reading these two websites, The Crown production team tried to match the location/estate with similar architecture. In other words, the scenes that were set (in the plot) is not where it was shoot/recorded. For example, scenes with Windsor Castle were filmed in Belvoir Castle (Home and seat of the Duke of Rutland's or Manners family), as well as Burghley House.

https://people.com/royals/crown-film...ions-revealed/
https://www.visitengland.com/where-was-crown-filmed

Apparently, the camera crews were not at Buckingham Palace, instead CGI was used
https://www.vulture.com/2017/12/how-...am-palace.html
Reply With Quote
  #752  
Old 11-17-2020, 08:40 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,469
I don't know what the legal position is, but I know that, whilst Meryl Streep was praised for her portrayal of Margaret Thatcher in the film a few years ago, the Thatcher family were very upset about the film, but presumably couldn't do anything about it. So it's not just the Royals. Personally, I think it's awful that you can make a film or TV series about someone who's still alive, or whose immediate relatives are still alive, and cause this much hurt, but evidently it's quite legal.
Reply With Quote
  #753  
Old 11-17-2020, 08:40 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I thought they weren't going to go as far as to have Harry and William in it?
A few months ago I read they were probably going to include Williams wedding and maybe Harrys before they end it.
Reply With Quote
  #754  
Old 11-17-2020, 08:43 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
The Telegraph is definitely on the side with the British Royal Family and Margaret Thatcher (Not surprisingly of course). From reading at the headline, it is probably the most critical on production in The Crown

The Royal family are right to be furious about The Crown – this series is a disgrace
Netflix’s high-rent soap opera is an appalling travesty of history, wilfully misrepresenting everyone from Mrs Thatcher to the Queen
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/roy...ries-disgrace/

Dickie Arbiter has tweeted again about The Crown, but this time with a picture of a newspaper column, written by Matthew Moore from The Times.
Dickie Arbiter [Flag of United Kingdom] @RoyalDickie
So #PeterMorgan has finally admitted scenes in @TheCrown4 - covering 1977 to 1990 - are made up. And why is HM's same PS #MartinCharteris there throughout? He retired in '77. As for the programme meeting (E10) referring to #Diana's mental health - it didn't happen. I was there
7:57 PM · Nov 17, 2020·Twitter for Android
https://twitter.com/RoyalDickie/stat...23193947566082

Here is the online version of the article:
The Crown writer defends making up scenes about Charles and Mountbatten
http://https://www.thetimes.co.uk/ar...illa-7jx50wlzf
Isn’t Morgan conflating Mountbatten with Philip, who did suggest to Charles that he make up his mind - one way or the other - about Diana? What really bothers me is how unapologetic he is. From everything I’ve read, Lord Mountbatten and Charles adored each other; they never would have treated each other like that. I can only imagine what other horrors he imagined - especially on behalf of Charles. Yet, reading Twitter comments, Morgan has gotten exactly the reaction he wanted.

This quote from the Times article (link doesn’t work) makes me sick to my stomach. Morgan has NO idea what the latter said, what Charles and his adored uncle said in their last conversation ...

Quote:
“We will never know if it was put into a letter, and we will never know if Charles got that letter before or after Mountbatten’s death, but in this particular drama, this is how I decided to deal with it.”
I loathed the Telegraph article for saying that Charles deserves the treatment he gets in this series.
Reply With Quote
  #755  
Old 11-17-2020, 08:46 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
Rather funny isn't it, since republican always claims that royals are only wasting taxpayer's money, that the arguments on how royals bring money to the country through tourism is empty propaganda with no solid proof (France doesn't have royalty, but tourists still come, etc), yet here he is, a republican making money off the royal's life in with the key selling value is "the royal" status itself.
This is not the place for this debate, but I don’t agree with this.
Reply With Quote
  #756  
Old 11-17-2020, 08:48 AM
Claire's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,611
Oddly enough the majority of everyone involved appears to be more concerned about hurting the sensitives of William and Harry then anyone else.
Next season will be 1990 - which is going from 1992 to Diana death in one fell swoop.
After that, Gods knows. I think Morton said he will wait how things pan out.
Reply With Quote
  #757  
Old 11-17-2020, 08:54 AM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Oddly enough the majority of everyone involved appears to be more concerned about hurting the sensitives of William and Harry then anyone else.
Next season will be 1990 - which is going from 1992 to Diana death in one fell swoop.
After that, Gods knows. I think Morton said he will wait how things pan out.
Not sure what that would be odd? It was a horrific time in their lives that these last two seasons are/will be covering.
Reply With Quote
  #758  
Old 11-17-2020, 09:05 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Isn’t Morgan conflating Mountbatten with Philip, who did suggest to Charles that he make up his mind - one way or the other - about Diana? What really bothers me is how unapologetic he is. From everything I’ve read, Lord Mountbatten and Charles adored each other; they never would have treated each other like that. I can only imagine what other horrors he imagined - especially on behalf of Charles. Yet, reading Twitter comments, Morgan has gotten exactly the reaction he wanted.

This quote from the Times article (link doesn’t work) makes me sick to my stomach. Morgan has NO idea what the latter said, what Charles and his adored uncle said in their last conversation ...



I loathed the Telegraph article for saying that Charles deserves the treatment he gets in this series.
how woudl Mountbatten have advised Charles to make up his mind? He didn't know Diana at that stage? Having said that Mountbatten was urging Charles to marry and settle down and to be seen as a hard working dutiful prince.. but he wanted him to marry Amanda Knatchbull, not some other girl.
Reply With Quote
  #759  
Old 11-17-2020, 09:07 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Not sure what that would be odd? It was a horrific time in their lives that these last two seasons are/will be covering.
If watchers are uneasy about the sensitivies of William and Harry i assume its because the Crown is dragging up all the stuff about their mother and they've siad that they would like her to be left to rest in peace.. not to have the difficulties of her life brought up again and again.
Reply With Quote
  #760  
Old 11-17-2020, 09:07 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
We can't deny that the "evil" potrayal of Charles and Camilla was expected by some (including on this forum, you know who you are) more than Christmas.

The same people were somewhat irritated last season where Charles and Camilla were portrayed as the romantic and sympathetic match forced to break up due to the Royal Family.

Anyway, the "artistic license" will be seen indeed, i'm afraid by a vast majority, as the truth, or at least as some part of it, throwing away 20+ years of rehabilitation campaign for Charles. That's just infuriating.

I remember when the late Olivia de Haviland was just appalled by her portrayal in the highly sucessful TV show 'Feud". She sued ... and lost. The writers claiming artistic license and freedom of speech. The same writers planned a season 2 of "Feud" with ... Charles and Diana. Go figure.

Facts are boring, drama sells, and the TV viewers in 2020 have not the curiosity, if not the intellect, to look behind a glossy TV show to try to understand a far more complex history.

That is okay for me, but they should stop passing judgment!
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british royal family, duke of edinburgh, queen elisabeth, the crown


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Victoria" (2016-Present) - ITV Drama Series on Queen Victoria An Ard Ri The Electronic Domain 174 11-21-2019 04:58 PM
"The Taking of Prince Harry" (2010) - Channel 4 Drama Film wbenson The Electronic Domain 17 10-26-2010 10:16 AM




Popular Tags
america archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian baby names birth britain britannia british royal family camilla camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house colorblindness commonwealth countries coronation customs daisy duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii family life family tree fashion and style gemstones george vi gradenigo hello! henry viii highgrove hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs jack brooksbank japan jewellery kensington palace książ castle lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers medical monarchist movements monarchists mongolia mountbatten nara period pless politics portugal prince harry princess eugenie queen elizabeth ii queen louise royal ancestry royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon spanish royal family suthida taiwan thai royal family tradition united states of america wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×