The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-17-2020, 05:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Charles had deep seated problems too...everyone has baggage. They were ill suited for each other.

LaRae

Old 11-17-2020, 06:06 AM
Serene Highness

The Telegraph is definitely on the side with the British Royal Family and Margaret Thatcher (Not surprisingly of course). From reading at the headline, it is probably the most critical on production in The Crown

The Royal family are right to be furious about The Crown – this series is a disgrace
Netflix’s high-rent soap opera is an appalling travesty of history, wilfully misrepresenting everyone from Mrs Thatcher to the Queen
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/roy...ries-disgrace/

Dickie Arbiter has tweeted again about The Crown, but this time with a picture of a newspaper column, written by Matthew Moore from The Times.
Dickie Arbiter [Flag of United Kingdom] @RoyalDickie
So #PeterMorgan has finally admitted scenes in @TheCrown4 - covering 1977 to 1990 - are made up. And why is HM's same PS #MartinCharteris there throughout? He retired in '77. As for the programme meeting (E10) referring to #Diana's mental health - it didn't happen. I was there
7:57 PM · Nov 17, 2020·Twitter for Android
https://twitter.com/RoyalDickie/stat...23193947566082

Here is the online version of the article:
The Crown writer defends making up scenes about Charles and Mountbatten
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-crown-writer-defends-making-up-scenes-about-charles-and-camilla-7jx50wlzf

Old 11-17-2020, 06:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

The irony is enough to choke a horse!

LaRae
Old 11-17-2020, 06:53 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
(...)

I don’t buy either of these arguments, to be honest. I think the media is frankly being fair - maybe they learned lessons from the War of the Wales, maybe they learned that Charles wasn’t a mustache twirling villain and Diana a saint...or maybe they have some journalistic integrity after all. I do think most seem to be sympathetic with Charles and Camilla, especially because they’ve done so much good, and have proven not to be these cold ogres. I’m sure they’re sympathetic to William, who has to deal with this garbage being dredged up again and both his parents’ hurt...and to HM and other Royals who are being victimized so that this Republican weasel can make money and get attention.
Rather funny isn't it, since republican always claims that royals are only wasting taxpayer's money, that the arguments on how royals bring money to the country through tourism is empty propaganda with no solid proof (France doesn't have royalty, but tourists still come, etc), yet here he is, a republican making money off the royal's life in with the key selling value is "the royal" status itself.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:54 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm half-way through the season now, and so far no one seems likeable.
Every person comes across as embittered and unhappy (with the exception of the Queen, who seems oblivious).

The show apparently blames Diana's issues on Charles, for acting cold and indifferent to his wife.
Of course we who follow the RF know that her problems predated her marriage, but much of the public does not.

Then there's Camilla, whose behavior verges on smug and catty.
And it's hard to decide which of Charles' siblings comes across as the most obnoxious! (The "favorite child" segment made me wince).

This show does the RF no favors, that's for certain.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:21 AM
Courtier

Right well.. I can't even get past episode one. I loved the first two seasons (and was willing to look the other way to some of the inaccuracies! was okay-ish with season 3, and I think Josh and Erin were the breakout of that season.
But I don't think I can watch season 4. already I can detect much wrong, and i'm sorry, as much as I am sympathetic to Diana, I am also sympathetic to Charles and Camilla. But while last year I was able to handle Josh as Charles, somehow this season his portrayal feels wrong and too off.

I am also pissed off by Sussex Squad fools who take this for gospel and make parallels to Diana, when the situations are so incredibly different (though some stuff are similar).

I like the yin/yang method to life: no person is wholly evil nor are they wholly bad.
I don't think Charles did things because he wanted to be cruel to Diana (they obviously cared and even loved one another at first), nor is Camilla a cruel woman (though it is her love and decision to marry APB that had eventually led Charles to agree to marry Diana), and I don't think Diana was a complete innocent (she was at first of course, being so young and naive, but I think she knew to be plenty manipulative including emotionally, when it suited her).
I don't think Meghan is wholly bad, though I question the motivations behind her actions and decisions. Neither is Harry wholly good- but these are irrelevant to this thread.

Also, I am still not over that we never got to see Anne kidnapping attempt and her badass responds, and her participation in the Olympics!
Old 11-17-2020, 08:16 AM
Royal Highness

Question - I was told that the estate of Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean do not allow movies and series made of them. That permission has to be obtained from the estate - which is how they are able to control the public image.
Is this truth? And if it is cant they do something similar for Diana and the royal family in general?
Old 11-17-2020, 08:18 AM
Courtier

My big problem with the Crown is the characters don't look like the real people they are playing. It is most noticeable with Diana and it's a big distraction for me.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
Right well.. I can't even get past episode one. I loved the first two seasons (and was willing to look the other way to some of the inaccuracies! was okay-ish with season 3, and I think Josh and Erin were the breakout of that season.
But I don't think I can watch season 4. already I can detect much wrong, and i'm sorry, as much as I am sympathetic to Diana, I am also sympathetic to Charles and Camilla. But while last year I was able to handle Josh as Charles, somehow this season his portrayal feels wrong and too off.
I also just had enough - could someone people explain how they think that the royals hunting can be compared to a terrorist attack? The juxtaposition of the shot is horrible. They seem to be saying that royal hunt so does the IRA so that is it.
I really think that this session had an agenda - make the royals seem as out of touch, barbaric and heartless as possible. My husband thinks it so Harry and William will be seen as the coming of the Messiahs. I am hoping the season will be cancelled.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I also just had enough - could someone people explain how they think that the royals hunting can be compared to a terrorist attack? The juxtaposition of the shot is horrible. They seem to be saying that royal hunt so does the IRA so that is it.
I really think that this session had an agenda - make the royals seem as out of touch, barbaric and heartless as possible. My husband thinks it so Harry and William will be seen as the coming of the Messiahs. I am hoping the season will be cancelled.

I thought they weren't going to go as far as to have Harry and William in it?
Old 11-17-2020, 08:26 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Question - I was told that the estate of Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean do not allow movies and series made of them. That permission has to be obtained from the estate - which is how they are able to control the public image.
Is this truth? And if it is cant they do something similar for Diana and the royal family in general?
From reading these two websites, The Crown production team tried to match the location/estate with similar architecture. In other words, the scenes that were set (in the plot) is not where it was shoot/recorded. For example, scenes with Windsor Castle were filmed in Belvoir Castle (Home and seat of the Duke of Rutland's or Manners family), as well as Burghley House.

https://people.com/royals/crown-film...ions-revealed/
https://www.visitengland.com/where-was-crown-filmed

Apparently, the camera crews were not at Buckingham Palace, instead CGI was used
https://www.vulture.com/2017/12/how-...am-palace.html
Old 11-17-2020, 08:40 AM
Serene Highness

I don't know what the legal position is, but I know that, whilst Meryl Streep was praised for her portrayal of Margaret Thatcher in the film a few years ago, the Thatcher family were very upset about the film, but presumably couldn't do anything about it. So it's not just the Royals. Personally, I think it's awful that you can make a film or TV series about someone who's still alive, or whose immediate relatives are still alive, and cause this much hurt, but evidently it's quite legal.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I thought they weren't going to go as far as to have Harry and William in it?
A few months ago I read they were probably going to include Williams wedding and maybe Harrys before they end it.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
The Telegraph is definitely on the side with the British Royal Family and Margaret Thatcher (Not surprisingly of course). From reading at the headline, it is probably the most critical on production in The Crown

The Royal family are right to be furious about The Crown – this series is a disgrace
Netflix’s high-rent soap opera is an appalling travesty of history, wilfully misrepresenting everyone from Mrs Thatcher to the Queen
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/roy...ries-disgrace/

Dickie Arbiter has tweeted again about The Crown, but this time with a picture of a newspaper column, written by Matthew Moore from The Times.
Dickie Arbiter [Flag of United Kingdom] @RoyalDickie
So #PeterMorgan has finally admitted scenes in @TheCrown4 - covering 1977 to 1990 - are made up. And why is HM's same PS #MartinCharteris there throughout? He retired in '77. As for the programme meeting (E10) referring to #Diana's mental health - it didn't happen. I was there
7:57 PM · Nov 17, 2020·Twitter for Android
https://twitter.com/RoyalDickie/stat...23193947566082

Here is the online version of the article:
The Crown writer defends making up scenes about Charles and Mountbatten
http://https://www.thetimes.co.uk/ar...illa-7jx50wlzf
Isn’t Morgan conflating Mountbatten with Philip, who did suggest to Charles that he make up his mind - one way or the other - about Diana? What really bothers me is how unapologetic he is. From everything I’ve read, Lord Mountbatten and Charles adored each other; they never would have treated each other like that. I can only imagine what other horrors he imagined - especially on behalf of Charles. Yet, reading Twitter comments, Morgan has gotten exactly the reaction he wanted.

This quote from the Times article (link doesn’t work) makes me sick to my stomach. Morgan has NO idea what the latter said, what Charles and his adored uncle said in their last conversation ...

Quote:
“We will never know if it was put into a letter, and we will never know if Charles got that letter before or after Mountbatten’s death, but in this particular drama, this is how I decided to deal with it.”
I loathed the Telegraph article for saying that Charles deserves the treatment he gets in this series.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
Rather funny isn't it, since republican always claims that royals are only wasting taxpayer's money, that the arguments on how royals bring money to the country through tourism is empty propaganda with no solid proof (France doesn't have royalty, but tourists still come, etc), yet here he is, a republican making money off the royal's life in with the key selling value is "the royal" status itself.
This is not the place for this debate, but I don’t agree with this.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:48 AM
Royal Highness

Oddly enough the majority of everyone involved appears to be more concerned about hurting the sensitives of William and Harry then anyone else.
Next season will be 1990 - which is going from 1992 to Diana death in one fell swoop.
After that, Gods knows. I think Morton said he will wait how things pan out.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Oddly enough the majority of everyone involved appears to be more concerned about hurting the sensitives of William and Harry then anyone else.
Next season will be 1990 - which is going from 1992 to Diana death in one fell swoop.
After that, Gods knows. I think Morton said he will wait how things pan out.
Not sure what that would be odd? It was a horrific time in their lives that these last two seasons are/will be covering.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:05 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Isn’t Morgan conflating Mountbatten with Philip, who did suggest to Charles that he make up his mind - one way or the other - about Diana? What really bothers me is how unapologetic he is. From everything I’ve read, Lord Mountbatten and Charles adored each other; they never would have treated each other like that. I can only imagine what other horrors he imagined - especially on behalf of Charles. Yet, reading Twitter comments, Morgan has gotten exactly the reaction he wanted.

This quote from the Times article (link doesn’t work) makes me sick to my stomach. Morgan has NO idea what the latter said, what Charles and his adored uncle said in their last conversation ...

I loathed the Telegraph article for saying that Charles deserves the treatment he gets in this series.
how woudl Mountbatten have advised Charles to make up his mind? He didn't know Diana at that stage? Having said that Mountbatten was urging Charles to marry and settle down and to be seen as a hard working dutiful prince.. but he wanted him to marry Amanda Knatchbull, not some other girl.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Not sure what that would be odd? It was a horrific time in their lives that these last two seasons are/will be covering.
If watchers are uneasy about the sensitivies of William and Harry i assume its because the Crown is dragging up all the stuff about their mother and they've siad that they would like her to be left to rest in peace.. not to have the difficulties of her life brought up again and again.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
We can't deny that the "evil" potrayal of Charles and Camilla was expected by some (including on this forum, you know who you are) more than Christmas.

The same people were somewhat irritated last season where Charles and Camilla were portrayed as the romantic and sympathetic match forced to break up due to the Royal Family.

Anyway, the "artistic license" will be seen indeed, i'm afraid by a vast majority, as the truth, or at least as some part of it, throwing away 20+ years of rehabilitation campaign for Charles. That's just infuriating.

I remember when the late Olivia de Haviland was just appalled by her portrayal in the highly sucessful TV show 'Feud". She sued ... and lost. The writers claiming artistic license and freedom of speech. The same writers planned a season 2 of "Feud" with ... Charles and Diana. Go figure.

Facts are boring, drama sells, and the TV viewers in 2020 have not the curiosity, if not the intellect, to look behind a glossy TV show to try to understand a far more complex history.

That is okay for me, but they should stop passing judgment!

Tags
british royal family, duke of edinburgh, queen elisabeth, the crown