The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-29-2020, 06:44 PM
Majesty

Thanks. A chat between the Queen and her sister about Diana would be more realistic.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Margaret Thatcher was the PM of the UK between 1979 and 1990. That period encompassed a whole lot of Charles and Diana's personal relationship. To me, it would stand to reason that with all the frenzy and rumors and speculation starting to take over the media in the late 80s and my own opinion that the British monarchy and the "Firm" not leaving things up to chance and being prepared for whatever may come their way, that the Queen and her PM would have discussed all the "what ifs" and the possible "official" stance to take during their private weekly meetings.

The Crown does "fictionalize" a lot of historical trends of events and put words into conversations between the main characters that have never historically happened as fact. A conversation between the Queen and PM Thatcher would illustrate the tensions that arose from Diana and Charles' marriage in 1981 to becoming a full blown "War of the Wales" by 1990 when Thatcher left office.

Just my take on it.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:10 PM
Serene Highness

Elizabeth Emmanuel, one of the designers of Diana's wedding dress has written an article on Tatler after watching Emma Corrin's portrayal.

Princess Diana's wedding dress designer on reliving that historic moment in The Crown
Elizabeth Emmanuel - one half of the then husband and wife design duo, David and Elizabeth Emmanuel - recounts seeing actress Emma Corrin bring to life their famous bridal creation on the new series of The Crown
https://www.tatler.com/article/eliza...s-on-the-crown
Old 11-13-2020, 01:19 AM
Royal Highness

I was watching the Behind the scences Youtube video of Season 4 - and this is the Christmas of 1989 Family shot. (time stamp 2:34)

Seems like too many children?
Old 11-13-2020, 01:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

I would assume this is supposed to be the family lunch at BP. If it is supposed to be the at Sandringham it is not only too many children but the ages are wrong e.g. who are the two girls supposed to be (in 1989 Beatrice was one and Eugenie not born). If they are supposed to be the Duke of Gloucester's daughters they should be 12 and 9.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:33 AM
Royal Highness

I thought it was the Kent and Gloucester kids as well - with William, Harry , Peter and Zara. It does seem wrong in that the clothes make it an evening event, but there are kids there as well :)
Old 11-14-2020, 11:48 PM
Serene Highness

Guy Kelly from The Telegraph has written an article on how to make The Crown "more interesting" and "jazz things up". I don't if Guy Kelly is just fooling around (and being a windup merchant) or actually being serious though. One of the highlight is casting Dominic West as Charles and Lily James as Camilla (after their supposed "affair" and the drama is still going on)

Four ways to make The Crown more exciting
As the new series of the Crown hits our screens next week, Guy Kelly considers all the ways Peter Morgan could take it next
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/fou...box=1604765655
Quote:
1. Be bold with casting
I have no major issues with the already announced Imelda Staunton as Liz, nor Jonathan Pryce as Phil; but if the rumours are true that Dominic West is to be Charles, at least cast Lily James as Camilla – it’s simply a waste not to. We’ve got the young princes coming in, so let’s have the kid from About a Boy (he’s still about 11, yes? I’ll check) as Harry and Nigel Havers as William, because age-blind casting is fashionable and he’d be great. Andrew? I’ve always thought he looks a bit like a penguin, so maybe just a big penguin? Either a penguin or David Walliams. Anne? Let’s have the real Anne and tell her it’s a documentary, if only because her confusion would be funny. Edward? Oh, who cares.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm anxiously awaiting the US release of The Crown's new season here. It's supposed to hit Netflix at 3:00 am EST so I have about an hour and a half to make a snack and send hubby and dog off to sleep and just sit and enjoy the season.

It helps that I spent my entire day Saturday sleeping so can really binge to my heart's content here. Geeesh its good to be retired.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:39 PM
Royal Highness

To be honest - after watching the first few episodes today, I do not know that they I will finish it up and I doubt I will watch the series again.

Warning - Slight spoiling

I have read a few reviews but I really didn't need to know that this was going to turn into the Diana show in the 1980's - it was expected so that was not really my problem.
It was just that they purposely said that they would not resort to caricature of characters , but that is essentially what they have done to the characters of the Queen Mother, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward. I understand that they have high paid actors in the other roles so it is really easy for them to make the others the villains of this story. It is just very sloppy research and I have to say bad writing.
It is almost like they have agreed to portrait Prince Charles as the romantic misunderstood soul who cannot be blames for Camilla or Diana or indeed anything, as he is a victim on fate. Diana as the trapped butterfly who is been crashed, Andrew as the son lead astray, Anne as the great daughter no one knows about and Edward as the money hungry free loader. This is no doubt done to setup upcoming plotlines.

Then there is the very bad juxtaposition of the assassination of the Earl Mountbatten with the hunting and fishing of the royals. Maybe I am reading too much into it but the depiction of blood sport in this episode, clearly shows the attitude of the writers once again.
Usually Morton is the king of subtle gestures , but this season it is repeat, repeat an just in case you haven't understood his undertone - I will yell it at you again.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:44 PM
Royal Highness

"King of subtle gestures"? Whose idea was it to have Diana and Camilla lunching at "Menage à Trois"?

I'm only at episode 3, and I'm annoyed. The terrible and flat-out wrong story of Queen Mary, Prince Eddy, and King George doesn't help, although I learned this show was pure drama, not history, long ago.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:58 PM
Heir Apparent

The advantage to being stuck in the house isolating is I've have had all day to watch the series in one sitting.

I have to say after the magnificent first two series this very much carries on where season 3 left off...a fantasised drama with the odd historically true point thrown into each episode. The characters are becoming more and more exaggerated parodies of real people. Edward - bullied and money grabbing, Andrew - spoilt and selfish, the Queen Mum gong about everything as if some Victorian lady never doing anything but sitting on a sofa.

The only impressive thing is how they manage to get Margaret involved in everything to make the most of Helena Bonham-Carter. Likewise I can't believe that having two children of her own and her own marriage worries Anne is able to pop along for dinner with mum, granny and Aunt Margo as often as depicted. While her marriage issues are touched upon briefly it is clear the absolute focus is on Charles and Diana this season. While that is fine as they are clearly chasing the Di market its a shame they don't make a bigger issue of how as a mother QE2 would have been having issues from all sides of her family not just Charles and Di.

I can 100% see how for an audience that knows little about the monarchy and these events watching this season would be interesting but any claim the Crown has to historical accuracy is by now surely eroded completely.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank god I don’t watch this show (or any show like it, for instance “the Tudors”).

If people didn’t already dislike Charles, they will now, because they will take this for the truth.

Quote:
And The Crown, which returns on Netflix tomorrow, will portray the Prince of Wales as a cold-hearted husband who cheated on Diana with his married lover, Camilla Parker Bowles.

I have known and worked with the Prince for 40 years and I don’t recognise the man portrayed in the new series of The Crown.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/1797637...e-loved-diana/
Old 11-15-2020, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh but the Tudors is at least entertaining without too much of an attempt to be historically accurate at all!

I do think people see in the drama what they want to see - I saw it as two people as bad as each other tbh. But then again Camilla is seen a lot more than any of Diana's lovers (I guess because they have a high profile actress in her role and she has a certain continued future role).
Old 11-15-2020, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

How nice of them to release the series on the Prince's Birthday!
Old 11-15-2020, 02:26 PM
Royal Highness

This is not really how I saw it played out. They go to great pains to show that Charles had no choice in his actions and was really a helpless snowflake to the Windsor flame. It dribbles with melodrama in places that it is worthy of Barbara Cartland herself.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Oh but the Tudors is at least entertaining without too much of an attempt to be historically accurate at all!

I do think people see in the drama what they want to see - I saw it as two people as bad as each other tbh. But then again Camilla is seen a lot more than any of Diana's lovers (I guess because they have a high profile actress in her role and she has a certain continued future role).
I prefer historically accurate to “entertaining”, so that’s why I watch documentaries (which are entertaining in their way and informative). My issue with the Crown is that people like my mother, who don’t follow the Royals, believe it’s the truth for the most part. I’m always emphasizing that it’s not...and that the producer/creator is a Republican.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:54 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think Dickie Arbiter is impressed either. He mentioned that The Crown is an entertainment show not as factual documentaries.
Dickie Arbiter [Flag of United Kingdom] @RoyalDickie
Not sure what I've done to deserve bingeing on #TheCrownseason4 - #PeterMorgan has gone completely OTT on dramatic license. #OliviaColeman is as unconvincing as ever as HM and #GilliamAnderson is not a patch on #MerylStreeps Mrs Thatcher - dreadful is a word that comes to mind.
3:46 AM · Nov 16, 2020·Twitter Web App

Dickie Arbiter [Flag of United Kingdom] @RoyalDickie
Replying to @RoyalDickie
#JoshOConnor is a wimpish #PrinceCharles, nothing like the man I worked for for five years. But there is one redeeming player - #EmmaCorrrin is a convincing #Diana. #TheCrown should be viewed as, at most, fiction and entertainment, nothing more for it IS nothing more
3:46 AM · Nov 16, 2020·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/RoyalDickie/stat...16650139037697

Emily Andrews has tweeted out multiple images of the Mail+ news article. She also mentioned that The Crown is full of error or distorted fiction and apparently Charles & William were not happy.
Emily Andrews @byEmilyAndrews
Excl: Palace’s fury at the new Netflix series of the [Crown] Crown The royals have never before hit out at the “pernicious lies” and misrepresentations in the lavish show but enough is enough... It is, say friends, ‘trolling on a Hollywood budget’ & ‘fiction is presented as fact’...
9:55 PM · Nov 15, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Replying to @byEmilyAndrews
Charles is unhappy... William is unhappy...The protagonists are still alive, it’s recent history and still very raw. Viewers may think this is the ‘truth’ but it’s distorted fiction. Read my analysis to find out why it matters.
9:58 PM · Nov 15, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Replying to @byEmilyAndrews
The latest series of the Crown is riddled with factual errors. Read the peerless @pennyjunor opinion & excellent @SBedellSmith who calls the drama ‘Downton Abbey version of the Royals’ containing ‘extreme & egregious misrepresentation’
10:02 PM · Nov 15, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/byEmilyAndrews/s...28206310199297
Old 11-15-2020, 05:00 PM
Serene Highness

There've been reports in several of the Sunday papers about the Royal Family being unhappy with this. I'm quite uncomfortable anyway with TV series or films which depict people who are still alive, or who have only recently died and whose immediate relatives are still alive. The Charles/Diana marriage is such a sensitive subject, especially for William and Harry who've both spoken out about suffering with mental health problems. These are real people, not soap opera characters. I haven't watched it so I can't really comment, but I do feel quite uncomfortable with what I'm reading.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'm gonna hold out and wait until the Christmas holidays to watch this series.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

I couldn’t agree more with Dickie Arbiter. Emily Andrews and Penny Junor...and I’m thrilled that the BRF isn’t making any bones about their anger, either.

I also hadn’t thought about it from a Harry and Meghan perspective - the whole Netflix thing. This won’t help any.

Tags
british royal family, duke of edinburgh, queen elisabeth, the crown