The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-01-2020, 09:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I would love to see a series on the three Edwards (Plantagenet)...so much drama there.

That said, I never expect period dramas to be entirely accurate; they are always changed to amp up the conflict.

Still, there's plenty of drama in Edward I, II, III.
No need for exaggeration.

Old 10-02-2020, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I wish the Crown had started with the Abdication and then brought the story through WWII and onto the reign of EII.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I wish the Crown had started with the Abdication and then brought the story through WWII and onto the reign of EII.
They could always do a prequel. Alex Jennings was superb! A fantastic mix of pomposity & pathos.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

He was simply excellent as the Duke of Windsor
Old 10-02-2020, 05:09 PM
Royal Highness

Yes wasn't he just! He stole every scene he was in other than the ones with Eileen Atkins. I'd call those a draw.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Dame Eileen Atkins has the edge for me but he comes a very close second.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Dame Eileen Atkins has the edge for me but he comes a very close second.
She's national treasure!! Wonderful actor.

And she had some of the best lines.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:21 AM
Serene Highness

The twitter account for "The Crown" has release a picture of Diana, Princess of Wales in her wedding dress
The Crown @TheCrownNetflix
A first glimpse of Princess Diana’s wedding dress. Emmy award-winning costume designer Amy Roberts wanted to capture the same spirit and style of David & Elizabeth Emanuel’s original design, without creating a replica for Emma Corrin.
7:51 AM · Oct 4, 2020·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/TheCrownNetflix/...95473798774784

Edit: I have changed to the correct title and address of Diane. Thank you Prinsara for pointing my silly mistake out.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Really looking forward to season 4 only another few weeks!
Old 10-04-2020, 06:35 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
The twitter account for "The Crown" has release a picture of Princess Diana in her wedding dress
The Crown @TheCrownNetflix
A first glimpse of Princess Diana’s wedding dress. Emmy award-winning costume designer Amy Roberts wanted to capture the same spirit and style of David & Elizabeth Emanuel’s original design, without creating a replica for Emma Corrin.
7:51 AM · Oct 4, 2020·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/TheCrownNetflix/...95473798774784
That's a great costume design, but why is The Crown calling her 'Princess Diana'? Historical fiction, but a really simple detail to get right.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Why wouldn't they create a replica?

It would be more in keeping with a historical drama.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To be honest here, I'm looking forward more to the release of episodes of "The Windsors" satire than I am to "The Crown".
Old 10-04-2020, 02:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
That's a great costume design, but why is The Crown calling her 'Princess Diana'? Historical fiction, but a really simple detail to get right.

The Crown is primarily aimed at an international (especially American) audience and Princess Diana is how she was known in the US and most non-Commonwealth countries.
Old 10-05-2020, 01:38 AM
Serene Highness

There is a Daily Mail article that explores the relationship between The Queen and Margaret Thatcher, ahead of the release of Season 4 of the Crown. Apparently it will cover from 1977 to 1990.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ins-right.html

It would interesting to see how The Crown portrays the relationship between The Queen and Thatcher. Previous historians and media works have shown the alleged "frosty" atmosphere in the weekly meetings between the Queen and her Prime Minister. However, Peter Morgan, The Crown's writer have described them as "twins who are not the same". Lord Powell, Mrs Thatcher’s most senior foreign affairs adviser, described a warm relationship, especially at Lady Thatcher’s 80th birthday party.

I personally think The Queen actually likes Thatcher, despite their differences. The two main reasons are
  • The Queen awarded Thatcher the Order of the Garter and the Order of Merit
  • The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh attended Thatcher's funeral. The only other Prime Minister's funeral that The Queen attended was Winston Churchill
Old 10-05-2020, 02:27 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

They supposedly had a frosty relationship during the period Thatcher was in office. I can't see what secret sources the creators of Netflix have used to come to an alternate view. A view that AFAIK has not been supported by any author, journalist etc. of repute for the last 4 decades.

It seems more that the creators of the series want to square the circle that two conservative symbols must have had a good relationship, otherwise their viewers may get confused. The author does not give any evidence whatsoever for his theory other than some arm chair psychology.

That the writer of the series calls them twins confirms what was already known, namely that 'The Crown' is a piece of fiction loosely based on real events.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:32 AM
Majesty

I always thought that the chill between the Queen and Thatcher had most all to do with lifestyles. Thatcher did not enjoy Balmoral at all. I always assumed the lack of comfortable heat, fustiness and isolation were her sticking points. JMO from things I have read over the years.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:42 AM
Majesty

I read that on her stays at Balmoral Mrs Thatcher, while perfectly pleasant, brought papers with her from London to work on while she was there and wasn't really interested in any country pursuits on offer, leaving the Queen taken aback. I presume Denis Thatcher went on long walks etc though.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:21 AM
Royal Highness

Hugo Vickers on why he dislikes the Crown Netflix series- interesting talk :

Old 10-09-2020, 09:57 AM
Serene Highness

Tatler Articles on Season 4 The Crown

Some more pictures of Diane, Princess of Wales in The Crown Season 4. The Tatler article mainly focuses on Diana's outfit.
https://www.tatler.com/gallery/the-c...-diana-outfits

Of Course, some of these pictures were from an older article: https://www.tatler.com/article/the-crown-season-4

Tatler has also release an article on the relationship between The Queen and Margaret Thatcher. Apologies for repeating myself.
https://www.tatler.com/article/the-q...r-relationship
Old 10-10-2020, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Emma Corrin and Josh O'Connor discuss Royal terms, abbreviations and slang words.

Tags
british royal family, duke of edinburgh, queen elisabeth, the crown