The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-13-2020, 12:02 PM
Commoner

I loved the first installation of The Crown with Claire Foy as HM. The second not so much, though Helena Bonham-Carter was great as Princess Margaret. If they make another season I know I'll watch it. I love Imelda Staunton, she's a great actress. My favourite of her movies is "Vera Drake".

Old 08-13-2020, 12:52 PM
Serene Highness

What a cast! Jonathan Pryce is a brilliant choice. I knew about Imelda Staunton playing HMQ but just found out about Lesley Manville playing Princess Margaret. Lesley is an astounding talent and I'll watch anything she's in. She becomes the character and you can't see the acting at all because she's so good at it.

Old 08-16-2020, 03:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
"Jonathan Pryce will play Prince Philip in the final two seasons of The Crown (Seasons 5 and 6), alongside Imelda Staunton and Lesley Manville."

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheCrownN...738309/photo/1
My heart is officially broken: I wanted Bill Nighy for this role.

But I do love Jonathan Pryce.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-16-2020, 04:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wow the cast for this final season is brimming with talent. Debicki as Diana is a great choice. Can't wait.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

A teaser for Series 4 has been released, the series will broadcast on 15th November.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Many thanks, Great news I was hoping we might have Season 4 in time for Christmas!
Old 09-29-2020, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The 1st screen shots from upcoming Series 4 of Gillian Anderson as Margaret Thatcher and Emma Corrin as the Princess Diana.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-crown...eries-12085147
Old 10-01-2020, 03:57 AM
Royal Highness

Quick question - unsure if it belong here.
If you were writing the Crown - which royal Family and time period would you cover?
Personally if I was doing the British royal family I would have started with the Death of Queen Victoria as I review that was the start of the modern British royal family and intend the end of Empire.

A friend thinks that the Dutch royal family would have been more entertaining and dramatic either - but which time period, I dont know.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

There was already an ITV series airing on Queen Victoria at the same time so it might have been a bit confusing.

Not too slight the DRF but I could not envisage a netflix series on the Dutch RF taking off the way the Crown has.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:56 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Quick question - unsure if it belong here.
If you were writing the Crown - which royal Family and time period would you cover?
Personally if I was doing the British royal family I would have started with the Death of Queen Victoria as I review that was the start of the modern British royal family and intend the end of Empire.

A friend thinks that the Dutch royal family would have been more entertaining and dramatic either - but which time period, I dont know.
I want one with the Swedish royal family. Starting with Gustaf V thru to the present royals. A lot of storylines they can use.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:44 PM
Royal Highness

Well if we could choose earlier periods then the Stuarts would be pretty dramatic. Lots of drama there!
Old 10-01-2020, 03:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Bamp! Netflix has a series called "Reign" with 78 episodes that focuses around the life and times of Mary, Queen of Scots. I enjoyed it.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Bamp! Netflix has a series called "Reign" with 78 episodes that focuses around the life and times of Mary, Queen of Scots. I enjoyed it.
I had no idea. Is it worth watching?

I only subscribed to Netflix when series one of The Crown came out.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post

If you're looking for straight up history, you're not going to get it. It was entertaining for me and the plot kept me wanting to see what happened next. One thing though, its *not* a show to put on with children in the room.

Like The Crown, Reign and The Last Kingdom (Alfred the Great time period), these shows take the history and spin a entertaining tale out of it. Right now I'm binge watching "Grey's Anatomy". Always meant to check that show out and started with season 1, episode 1 and there's 16 seasons of 24-26 episodes each. Keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.

Really looking forward to the new episodes of The Crown. It was the very first program I tuned into when I got Netflix access.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post

oh God no. This is possible the worst show on the planet. I cant call it a historical anything. The fact that it alludes to be about Mary, Queen of Scots just makes me want to hit my head in a wall. Watch only if you are playing a drinking game and want to get really drink in a short period of time.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If you're looking for straight up history, you're not going to get it. It was entertaining for me and the plot kept me wanting to see what happened next. One thing though, its *not* a show to put on with children in the room.

Like The Crown, Reign and The Last Kingdom (Alfred the Great time period), these shows take the history and spin a entertaining tale out of it. Right now I'm binge watching "Grey's Anatomy". Always meant to check that show out and started with season 1, episode 1 and there's 16 seasons of 24-26 episodes each. Keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.

Really looking forward to the new episodes of The Crown. It was the very first program I tuned into when I got Netflix access.
Thank you for the review.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
oh God no. This is possible the worst show on the planet. I cant call it a historical anything. The fact that it alludes to be about Mary, Queen of Scots just makes me want to hit my head in a wall. Watch only if you are playing a drinking game and want to get really drink in a short period of time.
Made me .

Thank you.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Agree Mary Queen of Scots, her mother and ever delightful mother in law all must turning in their tombs at this highly fictitious, inaccurate and all round dreadful show.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:14 PM
Royal Highness

I think I might give it a miss.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

A very wise option Durham

Tags
british royal family, duke of edinburgh, queen elisabeth, the crown