The final trailer before the premier tomorrow

https://twitter.com/i/status/1195718165201870848

Old 11-16-2019, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

An interview with Olivia Colman and Helena Bonham Carter ahead of Season 3

Old 11-17-2019, 07:11 AM
Nobility

I am currently binge watching the new season and it is living up to expectations. Lots of Cold War and American related politics. Who knew Princess Margaret would be Britain’s secret charm offensive against the American presidency to gain a huge multi billion dollar bail out to save the UK which ended successfully with White House drinking contest, very colourful limerick making and singing.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Hope you enjoy I'm saving it for over the Festive Season!
Old 11-17-2019, 09:21 AM
Nobility

It’s been all very thought provoking and interesting so far. Episode 4 is a lovely human tribute to Princess Alice of Battenberg who melts all hearts especially that of her son.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:49 AM
Heir Apparent

The Aberfan episode was heart breaking, but personally I doubt the Queen faked tears.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
The Aberfan episode was heart breaking, but personally I doubt the Queen faked tears.

Yet she waited 8 days before going to Aberfan.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-17-2019, 12:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Yet she waited 8 days before going to Aberfan.

From what I understand, they and Prince Charles wanted to visit earlier and were told not to.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
wanted to visit earlier and were told not to.
It had 'got about' that the Wilson Govt had been less than strict on upholding regulations regarding the disposal of 'slag', and the Govt were afraid of the reaction of the locals to 'authority figures', hence their reluctance to permitting the Royal Family visiting.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:36 PM
Heir Apparent

I didn't bring it up to tall about the Queen's actions, I was impressed with the episode as a piece of TV viewing.

I don't doubt the Queen was upset by it, anyone who saw it would be upset by it, never mind when actually being there.

Its important to remember that before this the Queen and royals didn't habitually visit the sites of disasters and tragedies. This was breaking the mould.

Interestingly, being from Wales myself, the Queen's apparent lack of clamouring to race to Aberfan while they were still looking for children is seen as a bigger issue to those outside of Aberfan and to commentators now rather than it was to those who had lost children and relatives at the time.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:59 PM
Royal Highness

The episode on Aberfan is a difficult watch. Very raw. I too had heard that the Queen was advised not to go earlier.

The last minute or so at the end during the credits is unbearably sad.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

The acting is excellent and sor far it's ... an interesting piece of fiction.
The "Artistic license" is a bit in overdrive mode, much more than the previous seasons i think.
A bit irritating i guess for us, royal watchers, but quite entertaining at the end.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I've just started watching the series. Think they have made Olivia Coleman looks more like a younger Margaret Thatcher rather than HM!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-17-2019, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Josh O'Connor who plays The Prince of Wales talks about Series 3 of the Crown and his role.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
The acting is excellent and sor far it's ... an interesting piece of fiction.
The "Artistic license" is a bit in overdrive mode, much more than the previous seasons i think.
A bit irritating i guess for us, royal watchers, but quite entertaining at the end.
Yes I think you're right. Episode two in particular (I've only seen 1-3 so far) seemed rather ott.

For those who have seen the play "A Question of Attribution" about Blunt episode 1 is an interesting comparison.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Watched episodes 1 through 3 and each episode is actually like a separate dramatic piece. All beautifully acted with wonderful costumes and details. All of the crowd scenes, the cars, lines of the little coffins in the terrible Wales tragedy all beautifully done.
Disappointed in one of the tiaras but she wears with aquamarine necklace and earrings. I've never seen that one. Margarets poltimore is replicated. I'm a little disappointed in only the Prince Philip casting
Old 11-18-2019, 08:14 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Claire Foy's portrayal of QEII seemed to be 20 episodes of a deer-caught-in-the-headlights. There wasn't much more variety in her acting skills.

I hoped that a new actress would be an improvement but Coleman's portrayal seems to be even more one-sided & a 10-episode long mixture of anxiety and depression. Not her best role.

Why the actors portraying the Duke of Edinburgh are insisting to make him as disagreeable as possible is a mystery to me.

The settings were wonderful as always and it was great to see Geraldine Chaplin giving a somewhat more balanced interpretation of the Duchess of Windsor than is usually the case.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:28 AM
Gentry

I prefer Coleman to Foy. Coleman’s performance is an interpretation whereas Foy’s was an imitation.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:33 AM
Courtier

I know this is totally ridiculous on my part but in the last episode I thought the actor playing Prince Philip looked so much like the Duke of Cambridge.

Even more though, the guy playing Mountbatten should definitely play the elderly Prince Philip.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Does anyone else think Helena Bonham-Carter's performance as Princess Margaret was way OTT?
Surely she was not that manic, was she?

Tags
british royal family, duke of edinburgh, queen elisabeth, the crown