"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some of the things I don't like in this season as well. Especially the Game of thrones style plotting done by Queen mother and Lord Mountbatten. And how they portray Princess Anne and Andrew Parker-Bowles' relationship.

Call me shallow, but my disappointment was that there was no scene of the Beatles receiving their MBEs in 1965!

I did find this season much more "black and white" - Anne is young, confident and sexual, Charles is shy, distant from his family yet clever, the Queen is pretty business like with little emotion, Camilla - wiser, experienced a bit of a tease. Unlike the previous 2 seasons when it felt each character was fully formed this seems more like Channel 4s slapstick comedy "The Windsors" with extreme characterisations, almost caricatures of each family member.

I also feel like much more the facts were embellished upon (or at times down right made up) to add drama rather than taking historical facts and making up what may have one on behind closed doors about it. This is something that as we approach more recent times which more people can remember is something the Crown writers and researchers are going to have to be more careful about.

Last edited:
The last episode of "The Crown" was one of the best. The scene between Helena Bonham-Carter (Princess Margaret) and Olivia Colman (the Queen) illustrated their enduring bond. Colman finally showed some depth of emotion in the role, and Bonham-Carter's portrayal of a deeply wounded, but caring Margaret was on point.

The way the Queen Mother is portrayed, mind you I didn't like her in Season 1 & 2 either, is as some cantankerous old bat. Whose only words are to meddle in affairs to drag them back into the early 1900's.

Speaking of the Queen Mother, I really don't think either versions of her were portrayed very well at all. Certainly not in looks, voice or character.

Speaking of the Queen Mother, I really don't think either versions of her were portrayed very well at all. Certainly not in looks, voice or character.

I think Imelda Staunton, the rumored next HM, looks a lot like the Queen Mother.

It will interesting to see what further developments there will be for seasons 5 and 6 of the Crown.

Did you get to read Hugh Vickers booklet on "The Crown "?..Interesting

I have only started watching this series but a bit underwhelmed so far. One whole episode about how bored Philip was
.. boring.

Oh I'm definitely a Helena. I'm prone to taking long naps to rest up for a good night's sleep. *That* is the definition of being reTIRED. :D

I have just finished watching the new season and I have a mixture of thoughts. I actually thought Olivia Coleman was a bit stiff and rigid as HM and this series certainly didn't play her in a favourable light! Not sure where the emotionless queen image came from, and why it had such a big part in the Aberfan episode which was undoubtedly going to be a harder episode to watch. Olivia Coleman is normally great at playing queens but it felt like she wasn't used to playing the part of HM.

I think this season was done with a lot less care for details. Many outfits and jewelry didn't match. Olivia's acting was on one note, the whole season is depressing like the Queen never had a good moment in the 70's.

Foy played a better Queen Elizabeth II than Coleman, if you ask me. Olivia was incredibly stiff and the writers didn’t incorporate any of The Queen’s jolly and relaxed personality in this season. The Queen was portrayed as she was in a constant state of shock. No emotion and feeling whatsoever.

I think Tobias Menzes owns Swason 3 for his portrayal of Prince Philip. Outstanding! Olivia Coleman In too stiff.

Foy played a better Queen Elizabeth II than Coleman, if you ask me. Olivia was incredibly stiff and the writers didn’t incorporate any of The Queen’s jolly and relaxed personality in this season. The Queen was portrayed as she was in a constant state of shock. No emotion and feeling whatsoever.

To be fair, Colman was playing a middle-aged queen, whereas Foy's young woman had a more dramatic lifestyle.
Once life has settled, in a sense, there is less drama and more equilibrium.

To be fair, Colman was playing a middle-aged queen, whereas Foy's young woman had a more dramatic lifestyle.
Once life has settled, in a sense, there is less drama and more equilibrium.

Yeah, but even in her middle age, The Queen was a lively character. She had a lot of fun. Coleman didn’t bring any personality to the character. It was all dead.

Ok I've finally watched 2 episodes of Season 3 so far Olivia Coleman is a wonderful actress but a little too stiff at playing QEII,however Tobias Menzes is fantastic as Prince Philip.

Hats off to the Daily Mail yet again ;)

Maybe we'll tip them off that Lancaster House is used as a filming location for Buckingham Palace.

Yes, perhaps we should:ROFLMAO:

Belvoir castle & Lancaster House were also used in "The Young Victoria" as stand-ins for Windsor & the palace.

Arundel Castle was Windsor in "The Madness of King George".

Watching episode 8 of The Crown and I swear the actress that’s portraying The Duchess of Windsor could portray an older Duchess of Cornwall. They just look rather similar and they have the same sad eyes.

Back
Top Bottom