The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-10-2017, 09:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

I watched the first two episodes so far. I wonder why they have Claire Foy speaking in a low voiced register? I think, in her younger years, The Queen spoke in a higher voice register. It’s lower now in her older age.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-10-2017, 10:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes I agree, unless she was unable to hit that range?

LaRae

Old 12-11-2017, 12:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Claire Foy is playing a character. She is doing an impersonation of the Queen. I thought Claire was excellent. 1950s voice of the Queen would be quite annoying in 2017. The actors playing Margaret and Tony are much taller than the real people but that doesn’t matter either.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:28 AM
Heir Apparent

I can’t edit previous post for some reason. Left out the not in second sentence: should be not doing an impersonation.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:19 AM
Nobility

As I said in the post #356, I do think there is a tendency this season to be a bit cliche and one-dimensional. The Snowdon and Margaret characters are the prime example of this, but they are alone, in my estimation, by any means. With Philip, the writing is back and forth.... It's a bit bipolar, honestly. Sometimes we get the feeling, passionate, wonderful Philip. Other times, we get the cliche.

I thought one of the best moments for Matt Smith was in the episode, oh I can't remember... It was either in episode 2 or 3. He was alone at the bow of the yacht, Mike Parker came out for a bit and put the word "homesick" out there. Not much was said in this scene, but it was powerful emotion. I could feel Philip's longing for his family. Fantastic. That's the best of the character, as I see it, and I'd like to see more of that. I love when Matt Smith and Claire Foy don't even have to say a word, but you can feel what they're feeling.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Courtier

This was never going to be 100% accurate and was only ever going to be a thin overview with as much drama packed into it as possible to keep people who know very little about the monarchy watching. Peter Morgan isn't writing the series for members of TRF who are generally interested and have read a lot or have done their own research. He's doing it for the general public who just want something interesting to see. I don't think he has a responsibility to educate the public, that's not the line of his work he's in.

I stopped watching ITV's Victoria because it really was so sensational and had departed so much from real life that it wasn't all that interesting to me. The Crown (based on my own research and reading) is probably about 60% accurate. It doesn't always focus on the right things and it does get stuff wrong that's easily avoidable. But if the public are relying on one TV series to learn about something as important as their own constitutional system, the problem probably lies with them and not Claire Foy.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Can I just say though that the last scene has to be the funniest. ''For Christ's sake! ..... Take the photo!''
Old 12-12-2017, 07:10 PM
Majesty

The Fug Girls have been doing swell recaps. Smart women, these two. Even if you do not agree with them, they do give much to think about. https://www.gofugyourself.com/tag/the-crown
Old 12-14-2017, 06:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

And Tom and Lorenzo critique the wardrobes:

https://tomandlorenzo.com/2017/12/th...isode-1-and-2/

Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Can I just say though that the last scene has to be the funniest. ''For Christ's sake! ..... Take the photo!''
I agree ! Fun to see the Kents and the Gloucesters included too
Old 12-21-2017, 07:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Watching the fourth episode and wondering why The Queen Mother is portrayed like she’s always on the verge of tears? Victoria Hamilton played Queen Victoria better, IMO.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Serene Highness

I just finished the second season before logging on here. I won't give away any spoilers but that last scene between Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip at Balmoral was so wonderful. Now I have to wait a year for season 3.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'm on episode 6 last having started my Christmas Holidays and will probably watch the last few episodes on Christmas Eve.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought Philip comes off very badly in his dealings with Charles.
And the Queen wasn't much better.

I felt so sorry for Charles.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'm on episode 8 and will probably have will have watched the last 2 today,really have enjoyed series 2 so far.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post

I stopped watching ITV's Victoria because it really was so sensational and had departed so much from real life that it wasn't all that interesting to me.
ITV's Victoria's description of outside historical events is pretty accurate IMHO. The sensationalism and fictional content come mostly from the depiction of the private lives of Victoria and of her household and staff, which is OK as we don't actually know a lot about it in real life anyway.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

It was extremely well made and entertaining ... but again it's only a fiction, and the reality is sometimes REALLY twisted to ad even more drama...
I'm afraid some watchers will take it litteraly. No you'll not become a royal expert by watching "The Crown" ! At least it's a good appetizer. If you want some facts, just read a good book ...
Old 12-26-2017, 01:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
It was extremely well made and entertaining ... but again it's only a fiction, and the reality is sometimes REALLY twisted to ad even more drama...
I'm afraid some watchers will take it litteraly. No you'll not become a royal expert by watching "The Crown" ! At least it's a good appetizer. If you want some facts, just read a good book ...
Or a good online Forum...
Old 12-26-2017, 03:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Or a good online Forum...
Oh yeah !
Old 12-30-2017, 07:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Another proof, if needed, to be very careful with the "facts" seen on the Crown

Fuming family of Prince's secretary blast The Crown | Daily Mail Online

Tags