The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-07-2017, 10:14 AM
Commoner

Two more days?!!! I can't wait. It's astonishing to me how well Matt Smith portrays Philip. I don't keep up with the awards so I don't know, but I think he deserves an emmy for this performance.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

I thought it was on Sunday night?
LaRae

Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Commoner

I thought I saw December 8....
Old 12-07-2017, 11:04 AM
Courtier

It'll drop on Netflix at midnight tonight for those in the US and generally follows an hour or two later for those in the UK.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Ah I'm watching it on PBS when it comes on so I'm talking about TV viewing, not downloads etc.

LaRae
Old 12-07-2017, 11:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Ah I'm watching it on PBS when it comes on so I'm talking about TV viewing, not downloads etc.

LaRae
Oh I see. I'm not too sure about that unfortunately but you can get a month's free trial with Netflix which would allow you to see the show right away and then you could cancel it before you're charged. I have friends who do this each year for certain series they really want to see!
Old 12-07-2017, 11:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

We live out rural..so we can't access all the downloads, we can't get high speed cable etc.

LaRae
Old 12-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
We live out rural..so we can't access all the downloads, we can't get high speed cable etc.

LaRae
At least you'll be able to savour it when it's shown on PBS. I'll spend all day binge watching it and then moan for a whole year that the third series isn't here yet
Old 12-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
At least you'll be able to savour it when it's shown on PBS. I'll spend all day binge watching it and then moan for a whole year that the third series isn't here yet
You mean like I moaned about Season 1 since I binged watched all the discs in a week? LOL I just watched the first season a couple weeks ago!

LaRae
Old 12-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Courtier

It really is the most frustrating thing about Netflix or Amazon Prime. I watched the first season again last weekend to refresh my memory but I'm still sour that I've had to wait a whole year to see the third series of 'Man in the High Castle' on Prime. Because I watched it all in 24 hours. I just have no self control when it comes to TV I guess.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Me either...I just watch everything at one time if it's an option!

LaRae
Old 12-08-2017, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Crown's Matt Smith and Claire Foy on making a cuppa fit for royal tea.

Cup or Mug?

Old 12-09-2017, 07:25 AM
Courtier

I binge watched the entire second series yesterday and I have to say that it's even better than the first though the pace remains a little slow.

Without giving any spoilers, I think it's pretty accurate in what it portrays and the characterisations are spot on. The way Princess Margaret changes from series one to series two is remarkable but it's also totally understandable and for the first time, I think it's easy to see where the Margaret of the 80s and 90s came from and when the carefree, happy and contented Margaret of the 40s and 50s disappeared.

It's also nice to at least hear about other members of the extended family and there's a brief scene with Princess Marina - though I can't say I think they got the casting right on that one!
Old 12-09-2017, 09:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I binge watched the entire second series yesterday and I have to say that it's even better than the first though the pace remains a little slow.

Without giving any spoilers, I think it's pretty accurate in what it portrays and the characterisations are spot on. The way Princess Margaret changes from series one to series two is remarkable but it's also totally understandable and for the first time, I think it's easy to see where the Margaret of the 80s and 90s came from and when the carefree, happy and contented Margaret of the 40s and 50s disappeared.

It's also nice to at least hear about other members of the extended family and there's a brief scene with Princess Marina - though I can't say I think they got the casting right on that one!
Thought the portrayals of Snowdon and Margaret (both) were a bit one-dimensional, though it was a relief that they got off the whole playboy beat (I think they're single source was Anne de Courcy's book, good in itself, but not the only gig in town, as they say) in order to just dabble in the mommy issues. So that was good. But the series entirely skipped over anything with how he rose to be a royal photographer. They acted like the Queen had never met him before, when in fact, he had done some rather prominent photo shoots with the royals as far back as 1957. And no mention of him taking the Prince Andrew photos, hmm. Well, that would be hard to squeeze into the storyline of the Queen's worries, the Queen having Tommy Lascelles do the PI job! But the story of the dalliance with Margaret was rushed, treated as if they simply went neatly from point A to B, nothing in between, no nuance... And again, we got the message about him being a playboy! That was beaten over the head of the viewer like a bad rash. Got it, can we do something else? Is there a human inside the "bad boy", people? (Ok, thanks for mentioning the mommy issues, good job. And the one shot of his bad leg from polio. One mention of polio, one shot of him using a cane. Nothing else.) Sorry to be a Debbie downer, but Snowdon is a favorite of mine, and I've read A LOT about him (more than de Courcy) and I just think, yeah, he was a naughty boy, liked sex, blah blah blah, but that wasn't the sum total. It was cool how they got in the thing about the love child with Fry's wife, and the threesome, ok, that was fun, but not enough imo. If you're gonna obsess over the playboy thing, at least go all out and get the really fun stuff, like the girl in the trunk when he found out Margaret was coming over!
Old 12-10-2017, 06:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have watched it all. Loved it now have to wait another year. What’s true or what’s not who knows
Old 12-10-2017, 07:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

I planned on binge watching it over the weekend but stopped around episode 5 and gave up. It is just so bad historically now as to be a total joke.

The entire way Philip is portrayed is not as a supportive husband but a whingey, whiney one from day one onwards, which wasn't the case - a bit lost in the early 1950s but by the end no way. Nothing about the incredible work effort he was doing then at all - just he was whining all the time and cheating on the Queen - hardly an accurate portrayal.

She comes across the most realistic - out of her depth in the 50s but growing into her role - as she did.

The rest was just garbage.

Sorry the only reason I had netflix was this series and I have cancelled it due to the appalling second season. Won't be worrying about the third - it will probably be as bad as the second season of Victoria which was even worse than the first historically as well.

Why can't these writers and producers etc do any basic historical research and get things right?
Old 12-10-2017, 07:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Really you do jest Bertie...do you think folks want to watch accurate history without all the hollywood embelishments??? LOL

Some things I'm okay with when they go off track, it just depends on how fictional it gets. I've stopped watching programs before over this issue.

LaRae
Old 12-10-2017, 07:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought it was good but slow. That worries me because the next series will focus on the 70s probably pretty slow in real life never mind at the glacial speed the Crown seems to address events.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Really you do jest Bertie...do you think folks want to watch accurate history without all the hollywood embelishments??? LOL

Some things I'm okay with when they go off track, it just depends on how fictional it gets. I've stopped watching programs before over this issue.

LaRae
I don't mind a bit of exaggeration or artistic license but outright lies are beyond the pale.

I teach 'historical fiction' to one of my classes and one piece of information I give them is that the statistics from the US in 2012 were that 76% of Americans learn their history from historical fiction - which is really frightening when you realise how inaccurate historical fiction is. (By the way - the only reason I am using US statistics is that that is where the article I use comes from but I suspect that it is the same for the rest of the world ... - sadly).
Old 12-10-2017, 08:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes I noticed in season 1 they really tried to make Prince Phillip into some sort of wastrel playboy who wasn't home long enough to do any actual duties except on a rare occasion.

It drives me CRAZY when someone watches a film and then assumes it's historically accurate! Heck you can't even trust some of the documentaries or books.

I love history and it really irks me when they go too far. The defense is always 'artistic license'. Meh.

LaRae

Tags
british royal family, duke of edinburgh, queen elisabeth, the crown