The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-15-2018, 09:08 PM
Majesty

This is a fascinating documentary, saw it earlier. I loved the Queen's remarks, the little asides especially about the Cullinan diamond, the film of all the preparations, so detailed. Bravo the Duke of Norfolk! Also the little details about the jewels within the crowns, like the ruby reputedly worn by Henry V on his helmet at Agincourt with a plume from his feather headdress still inside the ruby. To have Coronations that stretch back to 1056 is just remarkable.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I only uttered that -for me- Lady Anne was the star of the docu. But of course it is like with Madonna's fans. When she sang off-key, they will still claim she sung like a nightingale.
Don't drag Madonna into this. Here's one queen who won't stand for it 😉 *sharpening my knives*

Old 01-16-2018, 12:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
1. Point 3 in that post was meant to show that the Queen was always going to be the star of the show.

2. And I'm aware that everyone here know who the Queen of the UK is.

3. And after reading what people wrote to me in the thanks button, I think most people understood what I meant.

1. As Alastair Bruce himself has said, it was never supposed to be an interview.

2. The Queen (as you know) doesn't give interviews, and most British commentators/experts agree that this is one of many reasons for her success as monarch.

Watch the documentary here, not likely to be on YouTube for a long time, so do it now:
Adding my thanks to the many! Loving the detail; glad of the opportunity to share this fabulous documentary
Old 01-16-2018, 03:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post

[...]

Although the queen was charming, I find it a pity that of all the interviews, or 'conversations' that HM could have given, it was decided that she should talk about jewels. IMHO a reflection on the value of the monarchy in this day and age, or a reflection on her reign, would have been much more valuable and certainly much, much more interesting than a hand full of comments on a few stones.
You worded it better than I did in this thread. By stating that without Lady Anne Glenconner it was like fish soup without the fish, was exactly because the Queen's contribution to the docu was very limited to some comments on the jewels, with miniscule side steps (about the children in the palace or 'An awfully lot of backward walking"). It was out of tune with the massive expectations which were raised on before hand. Impossible fo fill a whole documentary with. Luckily there were folks like Lady Anne, who gave nice eye-witness faits-divers.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you, Royal Norway, for posting the documentary. Loved watching it just now.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:14 AM
Serene Highness

Thank you Royal Norway for your kindness of posting the documentary. I hadn’t expected to see it, so, it’s greatly appreciated. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Again, many thanks.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Art, Passion & Power: The Story of The Royal Collection- BBC Four- 9PM Tonight:
BBC Four - Art, Passion & Power: The Story of the Royal Collection

This is a 4 Episode Series.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-16-2018, 03:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
You worded it better than I did in this thread. By stating that without Lady Anne Glenconner it was like fish soup without the fish, was exactly because the Queen's contribution to the docu was very limited to some comments on the jewels, with miniscule side steps (about the children in the palace or 'An awfully lot of backward walking"). It was out of tune with the massive expectations which were raised on before hand. Impossible fo fill a whole documentary with. Luckily there were folks like Lady Anne, who gave nice eye-witness faits-divers.

Couldn’t agree more. Regarding the age old tale about the screening of the royal anointing being too holy to broadcast from behind the canopy, I really thought this documentary was going to be groundbreaking by actually showing this part of the ceremony for the first time. How very disappointing all round.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:14 PM
Serene Highness

I'm confused, I have not yet watched the documentary and am no expert in the various crowns (I'm a bit better at the tiaras) but from the short clips I've seen, I thought the crown the Queen grabbed was the one that she wore for parts of the coronation and has subsequently worn annually until recently to parliament.
The other crown, the really heavy 4+ pound pure gold one was also used in the coronation, but has not been used since?
Can someone help me out - were both crowns featured in the documentary? Has the Queen worn the heavy coronation one since the coronation?
Old 01-16-2018, 05:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Two crowns were featured. The coronation crown which was made as a replica of the crown of St. Edward the Confessor after the restoration of the monarchy. The other crown is the Imperial State Crown.

The Queen only wore St. Edwards crown for her coronation and never again after that. She wore the Imperial State Crown leaving her coronation and wears that crown for the opening of Parliament except for the few occasions where she wore a hat.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:47 PM
Administrator

Please note that a number of posts discussing Charles' future coronation have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1984590 thread.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
Couldn’t agree more. Regarding the age old tale about the screening of the royal anointing being too holy to broadcast from behind the canopy, I really thought this documentary was going to be groundbreaking by actually showing this part of the ceremony for the first time. How very disappointing all round.
why would it be shown, when it was felt to be a private moment?
Old 01-16-2018, 06:38 PM
Majesty

I do not understand the laments about the part HM played in this documentary. It was conceived as a retrospective view of The Coronation itself, not the 65 years following.

As to lamenting that HM only spoke about the Crown Jewels, pray tell, since she is the only one to wear that crown, hold the sceptre and orb, and then only once, who else could speak from a personal viewpoint but the Queen? And what a delight she was and, for the first time, she seemed totally at ease with the camera and the narrator. Who could forget those twinkling eyes and beautiful smile as she reminisced?

As to not televising the "Anointing with oil", that was and is a deeply spiritual and private moment between Her Majesty and her God. In the same way, it will also be the same for both Charles and William. We were not and will not be invited any more than we would broadcast people making Confession.

There are limits to what we need to see and know and to understand the difference between a need and a want and it has been very illuminating to understand just how little is really understood about the part a Coronation plays in the very fabric of the monarchy.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

The documentary has been removed from youtube for copyright reasons.

We don't post entire news articles here due to copyright so we also have to realise that many documentaries are also copyrighted and so shouldn't be linked either.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

It was a wonderful documentary, but it should be released online and YouTube for everyone to see. Very historic.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-17-2018, 02:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

The BBC own it and will release it via their shop at some point in the future. They spent a lot of money making it and would like to recoup some of that money. It is no different to any other documentary or TV show - the copyright belongs to the organisation who made it.

As an author myself (co-wrote a number of boring History textbooks for high school students here in Australia) I totally agree with the BBC on this. They put in the time, money and effort and shouldn't have it stolen (and that is what you are doing when you break copyright - stealing someone else's work.)

I am not sure about 'historic' after all the film of the coronation has been out there for decades and the Queen talking about that day is hardly 'historic' as her views on that day have been reported since the day itself in various biographies of her.

I haven't seen it - as I do respect the rights of copyright which applies as strictly to things in a digital format as anywhere else. In NSW we even force our final year students to undertake a study called 'All My Own Work' which explains local Australian and International laws on plagiarism, copyright etc.

An important point from their unit on copyright. 'Just because it is online does not mean that it is copyright free.' 4.4 Copyright In a Digital Environment- | NSW Education Standards
Old 01-17-2018, 05:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

There was also a lousy error in the documentary, which made me doubt how error-free they were about the rest. The easily to check facts learns that Joseph Asscher (the man who cut the Cullinan) came not from Antwerp, nor was that the place where the Cullinan was split. This had to be Amsterdam.

Picture: Queen Elizabeth, the Duke of Edinburgh, Queen Juliana and Princess Beatrix visiting Royal Asscher in Amsterdam
Old 05-02-2020, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I just watched this documentary. The Queen is a formidable person. It was very nice to see the Queen talking about her coronation.