"Russia's Lost Princesses" (2014) 2-part BBC2 doco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
Russia's Lost Princesses
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04fljy7

Episode 1 - The Gilded Cage

Interviews with leading historians, archive footage and dramatic reconstruction reveal the childhoods of Tsar Nicholas II's four daughters - Olga, Tatiana, Maria and Anastasia - and the truth behind the fairytale images. The sisters were the most photographed princesses of their day, attracting the same frenzied press attention as Princess Diana later would, but their public profile masked the reality of their strange and very isolated upbringing.

The sisters' lives changed forever after the birth of their little brother Alexei, whose life-threatening haemophilia meant that he became the main focus of their mother Alexandra's love and attention. Alexandra was obsessed with keeping Alexei's illness an absolute secret, so the family lived in a gilded cage - the girls seldom left the confines of their palace, had few friends and knew almost nothing of the outside world. One of the few outsiders to whom the four sisters became genuinely close was their parents' controversial spiritual advisor Rasputin, the only person who seemed able to alleviate Alexei's suffering.

As adolescents the girls grew even closer to Rasputin. Because their mother was often unwell, frequently locked herself away and refused to see her daughters, they turned instead to Rasputin for advice on all their teenage problems. Rasputin was notorious for his debauchery, so his relationship with Alexandra and the sisters was cause for mounting concern amongst the extended Romanov family and it wasn't long before shocking rumours started to circulate about what exactly was going on amidst the seclusion of the Alexander Palace.

Episode 2 - The World Turned Upside Down BBC 2, 26 August 2014

The story of the final four years in the lives of Tsar Nicholas II's four daughters - Olga, Tatiana, Maria and Anastasia, concluding with their brutal murders in the bloody climax to the Russian revolution. Interviews with leading historians, archive footage and dramatic reconstruction reveal the real women behind the familiar images of beautiful girls in white dresses.

In 1914 Olga and Tatiana were 18 and 16 and old enough to be married off to eligible princes, but any prospect of escaping their strange and very isolated life in the Alexander Palace was thwarted by the outbreak of the First World War. The war destroyed all trace of the life the sisters had known, but when Olga and Tatiana volunteered as Red Cross nurses they did enjoy a brief taste of the real world beyond the palace gates. The sisters became very close to some of the dashing young officers they nursed and Olga's touching diary entries reveal how she fell passionately in love with one particular Georgian officer, Dmitri Shakh-Bagov.

March 1917 brought a dramatic end to over three centuries of Romanov rule and following their father's abdication the girls were forced to adjust to a world turned upside down. After five months under house arrest at the Alexander Palace the girls, along with the rest of their family, were sent into exile in Siberia. The sisters' letters from Siberia bring the boredom, frustration and uncertainty of their captivity powerfully to life. For much of their tragically short lives the girls had been as much prisoners as princesses and in their final weeks in exile in Siberia that imprisonment was absolute - the whitewashed windows of the house where they were held denied them even a glimpse of the outside world.

Russia's Lost Princesses, BBC Two, review: 'surprising' - Telegraph
21 August 2014

The story of the daughters of Tsar Nicholas II was touching, says Serena Davies

Considering their merciless obliteration on July 17, 1918, there is a surprising amount to learn about Russia’s Lost Princesses, not least because they’ve been pored over by a succession of good historians, including Orlando Figes and Douglas Smith. The first episode of BBC Two’s two-part documentary about Olga, Tatiana, Maria and Anastasia, the four daughters of Tsar Nicholas II, featured both these authors and gave us details as the pitiful English sentences they wrote in pleading notes to their hypochondriac and neglectful mother.

The surviving photographs and scraps of film showed that they were beautiful, too, particularly the second, Tatiana. This didn’t help them however in wooing their parents away from the absurdly preferential treatment the pair gave their only son, the haemophiliac Alexei. The girls were shut off from the world by Nicholas and his wife Alexandra who, fatally, eschewed the affairs of state for the sake of seclusion. The four girls were treated so much as an amorphous unit by their parents that they referred to themselves as Otma, an acronym of their Christian names. It also meant that the freaky, filthy peasant mystic Rasputin (he ate soup with his hands), who penetrated the family’s defences due to Alexandra’s desperation to find a cure for her son, was allowed as alarmingly far as the sisters’ bedrooms.

The girls’ sorry demise will be the subject of next week’s episode, this one set up the disaster. The incidental detail and the sensible academic contributions made a touching tale of lives cast into the crucible of political exigency.

I sat down to watch the first episode last night. But, truth be known, I found it a bit dull and about half way through decided to watch Doctor Who instead.

I watched the first episode really enjoyed it looking forward to the second one. I must also watch my last episode of the documentary BBC2 did recently on the Stuarts

I thought it was dreadful. Absolutely nothing new was revealed or told. Nicholas and Alexandra was vilified for the purpose of suspension – it was insinuated that they, particularly Alix, couldn't give a care in the world for any of the girls, when in fact all one has to do is look at the letters between Nicky and Alix and the girls to see that that definitely isn't the truth. The insinuations about a relationship between the girls and Rasputin were also disgusting, and I don't particularly care for Rappaport's slandering of Prince Michael after the episode aired. But then again, I don't care for Rappaport at all.

The only good things about the first episode were the high quality footage (although it's all very well-known footage that has been circling the internet for years – it was already "old news" when I got interested in the girls in 2009) and the interior shots of the Winter Palace. I also enjoyed watching Prince Michael of Kent, but he didn't get far enough screen time.

Last edited:
The only good things about the first episode were the high quality footage (although it's all very well-known footage that has been circling the internet for years – it was already "old news" when I got interested in the girls in 2009) and the interior shots of the Winter Palace. I also enjoyed watching Prince Michael of Kent, but he didn't get far enough screen time.

I hadn't seen most of the footage before I've only become interested in Russian Royals in the last few years.

I also agree Prince Michael of Kent could have gotten some more screen time

This was the documentary that I was talking about in my post in the thread about OTMAA over in the Russian Sub Forums. I found it interesting because I've just started to become interested in the Romanovs, so of course a lot of the footage and information shared on the programme was "new news" to me. I liked how Prince Michael was featured but I do agree with Archduchess Zelia and dee1412, it would've been nice if he could've been featured more.

I can sit and listen to Prince Michael all day...

:previous: Me too. I love how passionate he is about his Russian part of the family and he really knows a lot about the Romanovs. Not to mention the fact that he has a marvellous voice.

I watched the first episode really enjoyed it looking forward to the second one. I must also watch my last episode of the documentary BBC2 did recently on the Stuarts

i also really enjoyed watching this and i'm eagerly looking forward to part 2!

which documentary on the stuarts do you talk about dee1412? i will keep eyes open for it also!

Well, after tonight's part 2, it leaves me with very mixed feelings. I loved to see the pictures and historic footage, but for me, there was too little of it and too much talking of experts all leading to a pre-conceived "point".
Don't get me wrong: i understand that all tv-documentaries are "colored" by the maker's vision and target, and all are designed to in the end show the truth of that vision.
But the way it came across to me, especially by the final phrases in the documentary, it almost seemed as if the makers where saying that Nicolas and Alexandra has practically "set up" their daughters for their eventual fate...

And while i can accept that Nicolas was not really cut out to be a tsar, and Alexandra not a tsarina, and they probably did shelter their family a lot and maybe their attitude speeded up the end of the Romanov dynasty (but i have a feeling that that end was coming anyway), but they did not end their children's lives...the revolutionairies could have chosen many other ways out, maybe not for the Tsar but certainly for his family, they were the ones who made the final decision.

If they had left half the experts out (who were often saying the same thing) and focused more on a conherent story, they would have managed better to get their story across (and probably in only one hour), and we would have gotten to know the girls better than only a sheltered bunch of OTMA-girls who lived in a gilded cage and then died.

just my 2cts ofcourse..

ETA: for me an example of the one-dimensional story-line is the fact that the family is such a close-knit group that they let practically no-one in their midst, and therefore the fact that Rasputin does enter the inner circle is such a big deal. When Rasputin is killed, it is mentioned that this was an especially big shock because he was killed by people close to family (cousins etc), one of them even being practically a son to Nicolas....were was this person then earlier in the story? Where were other relatives like their grand-mother? The fact that there sailors and servants was mentioned, but practically ignored to further push the image of these two parents and five children being "alone in the world".
In other words, i think there's plenty more material for more documentaries (preferably with P.Michael ;) )

Last edited:
i also really enjoyed watching this and i'm eagerly looking forward to part 2!

which documentary on the stuarts do you talk about dee1412? i will keep eyes open for it also!

It was on a few weeks back I'll have a look at my sky box when I get home and I'll get you the name of it

Well, I also enjoyed the second part of the documentary last night. Since (as I've said before) I'm not the biggest expert on OTMAA, I learnt some new things ie. the conditions they faced whilst in Serbia and house arrest. I also liked looking at the footage and photos, but I had seen the last photograph of Alexei and Olga before, as it is included on Alexei's Wikipedia page.

Having said that, I was a little disappointed at the footage of Prince Michael as I felt that he had less screen time than last week's episode. I don't know much about her, although I can't say I'm the biggest fan of Helen Rappaport after watching her last night.

Last edited:
I have only seen the first part. The second part is still on my harddisk and ready to be viewed. What struck me was that even the British acknowledged that the tsarist Court was incomparable with any other Court in the world and how "caged" the Grand-Princesses (the correct form of their title) were.

I knew that Tsarina Alexandra was unpopular, but that this unpopularity was so deep and widespread, was new to me. I must admit that my idea of the Tsarina has turned into a negative way. The upbringing of the young Tsarevich could not have been worse(r), I never knew that Tsarevich Alexei was such a horrible spoiled brat in his young years. (Luckily he changed into an adolescent with a good heart). Really, if only the totally naieve Tsar had a wife with a better political and social antenna, like his formidfable mother, the Tsarina Maria Feodorovna....

:sad: :ermm:

Last edited:
:previous:
Don't you think that it's possible that there is some "other side" to the story? I don't know what it is, but the fact that the Tsarina was basically only described in negative ways, leads me to believe that there must be another story waiting to be told...:ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you think that it's possible that there is some "other side" to the story? I don't know what it is, but the fact that the Tsarina was basically only described in negative ways, leads me to believe that there must be another story waiting to be told...:ermm:

Well, in all possible accounts the unpopularity of the Tsarina is mentioned, in other documentaries, in books, in diaries, correspondence and reports from contemporaries. That the dislike was so serious and widespread did surprise me however. The reaction of the Tsarina: coccooning and isolating the whole family inside the Alexander Palace at secluded Tsarkoye Selo, was the most ill-advised thing she could ever have done. Of course I can not wipe away Tsar Nicholas, but in this relationship it seems that Alexandra was the one in charge.

There is much more to the story,a whole lot more.

The role of the immediate family was left out by large.
Immediate family like mother dear Marie Feodorovna f.i.,
to name but one.Tsarina Alexandra had her flaws to a
fault,yes,but to chew on that one-sided really old news in what
was supposed to be a widely acclaimed BBC series on a subject,
a Family,many hold dear,it was more of a Walt Disney level emphasizing
on "a wicked witch and a man gone daft".

He wasn't Tsar material,and she was a whirlwind in moodswings,a mix for shrimps.
Really old news been told now for the umptiest time!!A missed chance to better highlight all involved.Add a nearly hostile immediate family with it's own agenda and fighting over each and every tidbit one can possibly fight over except one thing: their wish to remove Nicky and Alicky from their positions to put it nicely.

Duc_ Pair,may I suggest a neighbouring forum,the Alexander Palace Forum where you,no doubt,will find much,much more details and far more interesting views then the BBC showed now or links to that...:)..

I also can recommend "Rasputin" by Margarita Nelipa,a wellresearched book on a man held accountable for much of the politics in Tsarist Russia and his untimely demise by the hand of many one didn't think of.As Mrs.Nelipa is of Russian descent and had access to the Russian State Archieves she was able to write a book with far more insight then before on everything related.Yes,I am a fan,but then it is such a indepth report really,incredible.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links to the Alexander Palace Forum and the recommendation. I will see part II first and then go to your recommendations.

:)

Thanks for the links. I want to watch.

I watched the documentary and it's just sad that this family wasn't saved and had to die the way they did. Also, no one paid the price for killing the Russian royal family.

Back
Top Bottom