Royalty and Reality TV

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Australian said:
There was a scene when jane Ferguson asked one girl, "Name some places where the Queen lives" and the girl replied "Buckingham Palace" and Jane said "And?" and the girl said "Theres more?"

I'm really surprised at the lack of some knowledge...I mean you might expect that from Americans, but with it being Australia you would think they (the contestants) would have some background knowledge on the Queen, etc. Of course that is just my own observation & since I like & study all things royal I would expect people to know these things :D.

Last edited:
Lady Jennifer said:
I'm really surprised at the lack of some knowledge...with it being Australia you would think they would have some background knowledge on the Queen, etc..
These girls obviously don't even read the trash mags. Perhaps they just don't read at all? :eek:

Perhaps they were chosen for their lack of knowledge? It makes for more discussion that way.

trippc said:
The lack of constructive criticism was rediculous, commenting on the size of girls was just rude - even for reality TV, this is search for a princess not a supermodel. I agreed with the comment on one of the larger girls not wearing/styling herself correctly - that is the type of thing they need to look for rather than their actual dress size.

I found their lack of knowledge regarding the royals a bit ordinary, however isn't that why real royals have ladys-in-waiting? To remind them of names prior to meeting them ect? Also Paul Burrel turning his back on the girls to test them to see how they would react was rediculous, his excuse being that they would come across people like that all the time. I can't recall a time when someone at a meeting/function turned their back on a royal or ignored them! :eek:

But having said all that, I'll probably keep watching if I remember when its on.
I agree with you on the first point. The girl in questions outfit was terrible. They had $250 to pick out something nice - not some tacky tablecloth/goth outfit. What about the 'exotic dancer' who proceeded to take her jacket off at the door? She needs to be booted off.

I agree too about not knowing the names. If I had cameras in my face and had to talk to all these 'regal' people, I would forget my own name. Having said that, I wouldn't know all the residencies of the British RF, and a lot of other things about them (I know, it's almost a crime saying that on this forum and actually being Australian - I'm prepared for the backlash :eek: ) so I could understand the girls not knowing either. But one of the girls said "I didn't come on this show to learn about royalty[or maybe she said royal history]; I came here to be a Princess". :confused: What? That is a bit contradictory. And I also agree about Paul turning his back on the girls. It was their first day, and that kind of rudeness is not going to help them learn anything.

Warren said:
These girls obviously don't even read the trash mags. Perhaps they just don't read at all? :eek:
I think the latter. I laughed so much, while having this shocked look on my face, when one of the girls said about Fergie "I don't even know who she is. I know she has red hair and is on those Lite & Easy ads". I think we should compose a book of all the cringe-worthy one-liners that come from the mouths of these girls. It could be a bestseller.

norwegianne said:
Perhaps they were chosen for their lack of knowledge? It makes for more discussion that way.
That's what I think too. I think they specifically chose the greatest mix of people to cause the most amount of tension, thus providing 'quality' viewing for the audience.

Oi! Not so fast in changing the subject! We still haven't dealt with this:
Danielle said:
I wouldn't know all the residences of the British RF, and a lot of other things about them (I know, it's almost a crime saying that on this forum...)
I'm shocked. For remedial education I think one hour (minimum) per evening in the British Forums, for say, three weeks to bring you up to scratch, followed by revision, and then an assessment to be conducted by a panel of BRF contributors. Sound good?

:) :)

Warren said:
Oi! Not so fast in changing the subject! We still haven't dealt with this:
I'm shocked. For remedial education I think one hour (minimum) per evening in the British Forums, for say, three weeks to bring you up to scratch, followed by revision, and then an assessment to be conducted by a panel of BRF contributors. Sound good?

:) :)
Gosh, Warren... You're so strict. :p

Does "Australian Princess" have a web site where we can see these girls? The Australian version has an 'exotic dancer' on it??? Oh my....I don't think the American contestants were as exotic (couldn't think of another word to use :)). One of the girls (I think it was only one) on the American one has/had a tounge ring/stud & I thought the judges were going to have a heart attack right then & there- but she ended up going pretty far in the show. Here is the US web site- American Princess
I can understand the pressure of being on TV & having cameras pointed at your face & forgetting things because of it but I would think one would know that the Queen has at Least two residences. :D Most royals do. But as I've said before that is just my own opinion on the matter. :D

Danielle said:
I agree with you on the first point. The girl in questions outfit was terrible. They had $250 to pick out something nice - not some tacky tablecloth/goth outfit. What about the 'exotic dancer' who proceeded to take her jacket off at the door? She needs to be booted off.

I agree too about not knowing the names. If I had cameras in my face and had to talk to all these 'regal' people, I would forget my own name. Having said that, I wouldn't know all the residencies of the British RF, and a lot of other things about them (I know, it's almost a crime saying that on this forum and actually being Australian - I'm prepared for the backlash :eek: ) so I could understand the girls not knowing either. But one of the girls said "I didn't come on this show to learn about royalty[or maybe she said royal history]; I came here to be a Princess". :confused: What? That is a bit contradictory. And I also agree about Paul turning his back on the girls. It was their first day, and that kind of rudeness is not going to help them learn anything.

Everybody is funny. I think maybe they were picked because they didn´t have any knowledge about royalty. No preconceptions and all.

" These girls obviously don't even read the trash mags. Perhaps they just don't read at all?"

Ouch.

" I'm really surprised at the lack of some knowledge...I mean you might expect that from Americans,"

Hey! Americans who don´t frequent TRF, of course. :D

The ratings for this show was pretty good in Australia, im very suprised!

Enjoy our wonderful American Princesses! Just don't hold them against us! :p :D

Josefine said:
american princess is shown on swedish Tv now, kanal 5

It isn't bad per say...they start off unpolished & they do turn into slightly sophisticated young women. It was an interesting show...it really was. You have your typical American attitudes in the beginning from some of them. I would watch....it'll be funny if nothing else :D.

Josefine said:
will it be bad?

Well the second episode of Australian Princess was on tv last night and Jane Ferguson and Jean Broke-Smith had a small disagreement. Jean called a girl useless and Jane said that you cant just call people useless for no reason, and Jean said that she can lol

Jean seems so up herself, and the tea fiasco! who cares about making tea? Its not as if Princesses have to serve tea, they get tea served TO them lol. Yesterdays episode was more like a episode of seeing how well they could be a waiter or something, absolutley nothing to do with being a princess

I agree with Jane on that argument. How dare you call someone useless! And that beauty 'expert' guy; how dare he tell someone to "go for a run". I was so angry. :mad: Jean kept telling people they were too fat, or too thin in this episode. Is this the kind of message they want to be sending out to people? That no one will like you if you are too fat or too thin? It's ironic though; Jean tells everyone else about their flaws, but I personally find her annoying. Is anyone going to tell her to rectify that?

They put too much pressure on the girls to serve tea. And Jean (Yes, I really have it in for her now) said that they shouldn't be crying - princesses don't cry or something stupid like that. Maybe if they didn't nit-pick at everything they did, and they didn’t have this evil-Jean lurking around (and Paul was just as bad!), the girls wouldn't have to cry.

I thought it was hilarious how Jackie comes along when they were at the beauty salon, and not at any other time during the day. Yes, she might have been busy, but I still found it reflective of the whole concept of the show – appearances come before everything else.

Im with you on that Danielle, It is anting BUT reality isnt it.

By the way, they said that there will be a real princess on the show next week, did you manage to see who it was, they showed her but i missed it.

Australian said:
Im with you on that Danielle, It is anting BUT reality isnt it.

By the way, they said that there will be a real princess on the show next week, did you manage to see who it was, they showed her but i missed it.
Oh yes. The 'Princess'. :rolleyes: Well, I saw her, but I don't know who she is. She had a British accent and I think she was wearing a tiara. I only saw her quickly, so maybe I heard her incorrectly. Anyway, she didn't seem like a princess to me.

I was reading the girls' diary entries, and look at this. I know I am a spelling-freak, but Zena couldn't even spell Lady Sonia McMahon's name right:

we had to serve tea gor the lady sonya mcmarne i felt really sorry for some of the girls who buckled under the pressure they were mighty upset
http://www.australianprincess.com.au/diaries/ap_diaries_zenaa.asp

lol, where did they get these girls from, they were obviously chosen to entertain the audience with their dumbness lol

Jean actually warmed up a lot as the episodes of American Princess went on. I was really surprised that she did warm up....it took her a few episodes.

Australian said:
Well the second episode of Australian Princess was on tv last night and Jane Ferguson and Jean Broke-Smith had a small disagreement. Jean called a girl useless and Jane said that you cant just call people useless for no reason, and Jean said that she can lol

Jean seems so up herself, and the tea fiasco! who cares about making tea? Its not as if Princesses have to serve tea, they get tea served TO them lol. Yesterdays episode was more like a episode of seeing how well they could be a waiter or something, absolutley nothing to do with being a princess

Lady Jennifer said:
Jean actually warmed up a lot as the episodes of American Princess went on. I was really surprised that she did warm up....it took her a few episodes.

Actually, i know this sounds harsh but i hope she doesnt warm up, then it would be boring lol, but on the other hand, she and Paul should set boundaries as to what they say.

Well she stayed critical of the girls, espec. when they did something wrong....but it really showed that she started to care about the girls at the end of it all.

Australian said:
Actually, i know this sounds harsh but i hope she doesnt warm up, then it would be boring lol, but on the other hand, she and Paul should set boundaries as to what they say.

Anyone know anything about the host Mark Durden-Smith? (Age, location, married, etc.)

She's much more a member of the Polish Princely family of Czartoryski, but her paternal Grandmother was Princess Dolores de Borbon y Orleans, daughter of Prince Don Carlos de Borbon and Princess Luisa D'Orleans.

Paul referred to Princess Tamara Czartoryski-Borbon as Her Royal Highness when she only holds the destinction of Her Serene Highness.

Quite an attractive youg woman.

"MII"

Yes Her Serene Highness is very attractive. I doubt that Paul is really familliar with European styles, or if he is, he doesn't want to go through it all with the girls just yet, (instructing them in manners has so far been at the top of their lists). But Serene Highness is not a British style, and therefore, he is probably just addressing her in the same way he would a British Princess of the same descent (although they would probably have an alternative style and title).

I am very surprised that REAL royalty would endorse this sort of show!

Back
Top Bottom