Royals at War (2020) documentary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdm

Heir Presumptive
City
België, Belgique
Country
Belgium
Belgian TV channel Canvas starts tonight with this documentary about the evolution of the European monarchies during the World Wars.
Various royals were interviewed: Albert of Monaco, Emmanuele-Filiberto of Itay, Maria-Esmeralda of Belgium,...
It seems very interesting.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12806068/

Thanks for the tip! Interesting indeed, they started right away with pointing out that George V was and felt responsible for the death of his cousin Nicholas II.

The English version of this documentary is apparently narrated by Charlotte Rampling. And good to see Prince Michel of Greece (and Denmark) is participating too. Sophie Hohenberg -who is also participating- is a first cousin of Grand Duke Henri. I suppose that Etienne de Montpezat is the brother-in-law of Queen Margrethe II. Another commentator is Archduke Karl - in German while most others spoke in French.

Some interesting parts that I didn't know: the rivalry between the Aosta's and the main branch pre-dated the seventies. Mussolini favored the Aosta's and it was understood that they could replace the main line, if the king did not behave as Mussolini wanted. Emanuele Filiberto claims that if his grandfather had refused to sign laws Mussolini would have grabbed power and would have put the Duke of Aosta 'a notorious fascist' on the throne.

Lot's of praise for AD Otto. Hitler wanted to use Otto to legitimize the Anschluss of Austria. The anschluss was even named 'operation Otto'. Sophie Hohenberg tells how her grandfather and her uncle were arrested by the Nazi's right afterwards, both were taken to Dachau. Goebbels had ordered the camp guards to give the most humiliating and dirty work to the Hohenberg brothers, which meant they had to clean the latrines with their bare hands every day.

In the second part Sophie Hohenberg is telling how her grandparents, GDss Charlotte and Prince Félix tried to secure the family capital in the period before the war. Prince Felix went to the US with suitcases of money, jewels etc. and bought real estate to prepare for what was coming.

Grand Duke Henri also participated in the programme and tells about his grandmothers role during the war.

Prince Dmitri of Yugoslavia tells about his grandparents visit to Berlin. His grandmother, princess Olga felt very ill at ease as Hitler looked at her all the time, 'as she was the most beautiful princess of Europe'. 'On that day I really had met the devil' the princess said, according to Prince Dmitri.

Last edited:
I was also positively surprised to see Monaco included.
When WWI ended the progressive and pacifist Albert I was still their prince. His son Louis was everything his father was not, called antisemitic and military by the documentary makers and very severe by his great grandson.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom