"Reinventing The Royals" (2015) - BBC Two Documentary on the Windsors

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dman

Imperial Majesty
City
Midwest
Country
United States
"Reinventing The Royals": BBC Two: 2-Part Series-

Two-part series about the twenty-year battle between the monarchy and the media - the first family and the fourth estate - over personal privacy and public image.

BBC Two - Reinventing the Royals

Jessica Hope @JHope_RoyalCen · 2h
The BBC has announced it will now be showing the documentary 'Reinventing The Royals' later in the New Year, not on Jan 4th as scheduled.

BBC pulls controversial royal documentary about spin after death of Princess Diana:
Radio Times reveals last-minute decision to postpone BBC2 broadcast followed legal intervention-

Radio Times | TV news and guide, TV and radio listings, film reviews guide

Very interesting developments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course the Guardian newspaper is reporting that it got pulled because Charles's people pressured the BBC

Prince Charles used spin doctor to boost Camilla's profile, shelved BBC documentary claims - Telegraph
A documentary which showed the Royal Family trying to win back public support following the death of Princess Diana has been pulled by the BBC.

Reinventing the Royals, which was due to air on Sunday, claimed that the Prince of Wales hired a new press secretary to boost his image and integrate Camilla Parker Bowels into palace life – a campaign dubbed 'Operation Mrs PB'.

The BBC said the documentary had been postponed to resolve issues surrounding archive footage, but the Radio Times said that Clarence House had intervened to halt the programme.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: BBC contradicting itself (Radio Times owned by BBC)

This is a campaign to boost interest in a programme that has no surprises.

I think everyone and their great-grandmother knew about the campaign launched by the palace to help Charles and Camilla. Mark Bolland did his job and the plan worked. It's nothing new.

But by blocking the release of the documentary, the story becomes bigger than it should be.
Now people are talking about Charles once again abusing his power and influence to get what he wants.

What exactly is the point of this documentary? There is nothing new in it. I agree with Rudolph, by blocking the release of it, the story becomes bigger than it should be.

Robert Jobson @theroyaleditor · 2 hrs 2 hours ago
Sandy Henney Charles ex press aide says in BBC shelved doco Prince William "felt as if he had been used to further his father's interests”,

Robert Jobson @theroyaleditor · 2 hrs 2 hours ago
BBC's "shelved" doco claims Prince William felt "distraught & used" when details of his 1st meeting with Camilla made headlines in The Sun.

----------------------------------------------------
Charles can sure play hard ball with his sons.

Is it any wonder why he has developed such a close relationship with the Middletons? THEY have maintained his privacy and are very discreet people.

It makes me wonder if William and Harry are as loved up with Camilla as we are lead to believe. It could just all be PR spin to help Camilla's image.

Last edited:
It makes me wonder if William and Harry are as loved up with Camilla as we are lead to believe. It could just all be PR spin to help Camilla's image.

And here we are ...

That's what the documentary is about, rehabilitating the images of C&C. Part of that required W&H publicly embracing Camilla. This is why the details of William's meeting with Camilla were leaked to the Sun newspaper.

Imo, Charles and his people should be ashamed of themselves for using William to further Charles own interests

It's unfortunate that William was distressed by the news stories but Charles and his people were not responsible for the leak about the meeting between Prince William and Camilla. Amanda MacManus, the personal assistant to Camilla was dismissed after it emerged that she was inadvertently responsible for the story. The fact that she was forced to resign after the episode says all. BBC News | UK | Camilla PA resigns

Charles is not perfect and I'm sure there have been times that Charles has used his sons in the media, like most U.S. politicians. Overall, Charles has worked to protect his sons' privacy and we hear very little about the current interaction among Charles and his sons. For example, I didn't know that William and Catherine saw him every Sunday until I read it on this forum.

That's what the documentary is about, rehabilitating the images of C&C. Part of that required W&H publicly embracing Camilla. This is why the details of William's meeting with Camilla were leaked to the Sun newspaper.

Imo, Charles and his people should be ashamed of themselves for using William to further Charles own interests

Oh dear the documentary didn't air yet and you're already jumping in the bandwagon after some claims on twitter. 2015, with the 10th anniversary of the marriage of Charles and Camilla will be a loooong year with all these oooold stories popping up again.
Ok Charles is a bad father. Check. Next time we'll learn that Camilla is a consummate b..ch as expected. Check.
And here we go again after all these years. Apparently this "scandalous" PR operation didn't work that well after all....

Sandy Henney Charles ex press aide would have the inside scoop though. She is the one quoted in the documentary as saying William felt betrayed by his father.
Amanda MacManus was maybe just the sacrificial lamb to take the fall.

Sandy Henney Charles ex press aide would have the inside scoop though. She is the one quoted in the documentary as saying William felt betrayed by his father.
Amanda MacManus was maybe just the sacrificial lamb to take the fall.
Of course William was upset when he read the article. He didn't know what the facts were at that point and may have even had some sharp questions for his father and Camilla. I can't blame him for that, but that doesn't mean that his father was involved.

You have a right to your opinion but not your own facts. There is no evidence that Charles, Sandy Henney or anyone associated with Charles was involved. Your conclusion is simply based on the fact that you don't like Charles.

My conclusion is based on this simple truth. The meeting between Camilla and William served no purpose unless the public knew about it. Remember this is all part of Camilla's 'public' rehabilitation and part of this meant Diana's son was seen to be accepting of Camilla.

To think this meeting was 'mistakenly' leaked by an aide of Camilla doesn't pass the smell test to me. For the public to know Diana's son accepted Camlla it had to be leaked.

William & Harry did what was best for their father, because they love him and wanted to see him happy. They've publically embraced Camilla for their father. They most likely would've done the same for their mother, if the shoe was on the other foot.

The story about the campaign and William and Harry's involvement isn't new. It's been known for a long time about what went down.

My conclusion is based on this simple truth. The meeting between Camilla and William served no purpose unless the public knew about it. Remember this is all part of Camilla's 'public' rehabilitation and part of this meant Diana's son was seen to be accepting of Camilla.

To think this meeting was 'mistakenly' leaked by an aide of Camilla doesn't pass the smell test to me. For the public to know Diana's son accepted Camlla it had to be leaked.

The meeting served a major purpose: it started the relationship between William and Camilla. As Dman noted, both William and Harry love their father and want him to be happy. It was only a matter of time before they met her. Similarly, Charles loves his sons and their feelings are important to him.

Putting aside the personal and emotional needs of all four people involved and concentrating on the PR campaign to get the public to accept Camilla--and there was a campaign--you are only thinking short-term. The British Royal Family thinks in the long-term.

There was little incentive to leak that story. The last thing either Charles or Camilla would have wanted was for William and Harry to have reason to distrust or dislike Camilla. Leaking the story to the media gave them nothing but a headline that William had met Camilla. The whole thing would have backfired if William and Harry became resentful.

A picture of William and Harry having fun with Camilla (riding, shooting, etc...) would have been much more powerful. If Charles wanted to use William and Harry in the PR campaign, he could have easily arranged for photos. There were no photos of William and Harry with Camilla until after she was engaged to Charles.

Look, they love their father, they loved their mother. They knew Camilla's role. They are not stupid. They have seen the PR to rehabilitate their future step- mother. I don't believe that either one of the boys ever wants to hurt their father and their mother is dead. It doesn't matter. The Charles PR machine made very good choices and sold their story. Many have bought it.

If it was the royals that made them pull this show it was a pretty silly thing to do because everyone is talking about it anyway. And I agree its nothing new we all knew what was going on and I have heard it all before

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Is it any wonder why he has developed such a close relationship with the Middletons? THEY have maintained his privacy and are very discreet people.

Charles has been a wonderful father to William and Harry, and they are both very close to him.

This tale is getting confusing - to me at least.

It was made without the co-operation of the BRF. Senior people at the BBC gave the programme the go-ahead. (Q: did they ask for co-operation and it was refused?)

BBC wanted to use archive footage which included bits inside the palace and needed permission. There is "an issue" (no one has explained exactly what it is) and the palace lawyers have said that this needs to be sorted out. (Q: when did they ask?)

The BBC decided to delay transmission on the 30th December for a programme due to be transmitted on 4th January. (Q: issue so great that it couldn't be sorted out in 6 days?)

On the day the decision was made not to transmit on the 4th January, the offical BBC line was "delayed" but the Radio Times put out a negative spin on the whole event.

The media are using words like "pulled" and "shelved" as if it is never going to be transmitted. The BBC are saying postponed/delayed.

So many questions still remain but the biggest one is why did the BBC not go with it? Charles doesnt have actual power over what the BBC transmits.

According to this article CH declined to cooperate but BP did offer cooperation on the documentary. It suggests Charles's personal interests are at odds with other members of the BRF including Buckingham Palace

Why Prince Charles is at war with the BBC | Daily Mail Online

Prince Charles is not at war with the BBC. I don't bother to read an article who is written by Richard Kay. Everything he writes is just ridiculous. He don't like Charles and Camilla because he was friends with Diana. Click yourselves into his name in the article, and see what he writes.

Any article by Richard Kay will automatically be anti-Charles as he was Diana's tame reporter and has continued to write negatively about Charles ever since.

Oh well I guess we all have our own thoughts. Thank goodness we are all different and are free to express those thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Again, we already knew about the campaign to restore Charles's image and rehabilitate Camilla's image in the eyes of the public. It seems like the doc won't reveal anything really new, although I want to see it. It's only been delayed, not canceled.

I don't think Charles is at war with the BBC. I'm not going to diss Richard Kay but I don't think Charles and Clarence House could careless about the doc. A documentary has already been made about the campaign.

Back
Top Bottom