The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 09-05-2019, 08:24 AM
Majesty

Dear Marengo, german is our official language. The day the late King Baudouin died it was written in his agenda : Ce soir je dois étudier mon allemand ".

Place Royale and Royalty cancelled defintively such as Luxarazzi for Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.!

We have to look your "Blauw Bloed ". MO
Old 09-05-2019, 09:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Dear Marengo, german is our official language. The day the late King Baudouin died it was written in his agenda : Ce soir je dois étudier mon allemand ".

Place Royale and Royalty cancelled defintively such as Luxarazzi for Luxembourg and Liechtenstein.!

Let's put things in perspective: German is an official language of Belgium, but is spoken natively by less than 1 % of the Belgian population. Queen Mathilde already speaks French (natively), Dutch (much better now than in the past and continuously improving), and English. In a recent awards ceremony in Germany, she read a few paragraphs in German from a prepared (written) speech, which was highly praised by the audience. I think it is unreasonable and unfair to demand that she speak German to a ZDF interviewer who might have (and probably has) chosen to conduct the interview in French or some other language the Queen is more comfortable with anyway.

Mathilde tries very hard to be an exemplary queen, but it looks like, for some people, it is never enough.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I just watched Máximas part. As expected, it shows that she has most freedom and backing to do her job, plus the most vibrant personality. The Dutch see Máximas closeness to politics as 'networking' and embrace it.

But at the end of the day, these 3 Queens and those to come all do the same thing: raising awareness for causes, put causes on the map, be visibly useful for society. Modern Queens with busy agendas who have to deal with the modern media, for better or worse, living under a microscope. But that gives a lot of opportunities, too. Without a formal role in the constitution they are rather royal managers than Queens (the title is misleading anyway).
Old 09-07-2019, 06:02 PM
Majesty

I just saw Maxima and I agree with you. She was not seen as a Queen Consort , I hoped Glitter and it were notes , speeches etc...
I hope the ZDF will never be seen in Belgium.. French and some dutch speaking translated in german , we never heard long Their voices . The german will be translated in french or Dutch l
Sorry for my english it is late in the evening...
Old 09-08-2019, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
All 3 Queens are very different women and have different circumstances. They are all extremely professional and have a hard job. Like Spain, Belgium is a difficult country but even though Mathilde has to walk on eggshells on many issues, she seems to have more freedom to do her job and is by far not being triviallized by the tabloid press like Letizia. She has the 'oldest' style of them but it works very well for her.
I guess soon we'll see that Maxima has kind of the easiest ride with the most freedom in her agenda and personality.

Has probably also to with the fact that she was quiet open welcomed at the engagement and won the people and media soon over. This was not the case with Letizia as we all know and she has never managed to really win the people and press for her.

Old 09-08-2019, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I hope the ZDF will never be seen in Belgium.. French and some dutch speaking translated in german , we never heard long Their voices . The german will be translated in french or Dutch l
Sorry for my english it is late in the evening...

The Documentary was made for a public german TV channel so it is quiet logic that the sentences who where spoken translated to german. Would be unlogic to send something on german Tvb where people are spekaing french/dutch or spanish.

Perhaps belgianj TV could make their own Documentary about Queen Mathilde then you can hear speak her in one of your own langauges.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:59 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
All 3 Queens are very different women and have different circumstances. They are all extremely professional and have a hard job. Like Spain, Belgium is a difficult country but even though Mathilde has to walk on eggshells on many issues, she seems to have more freedom to do her job and is by far not being triviallized by the tabloid press like Letizia. She has the 'oldest' style of them but it works very well for her.
I guess soon we'll see that Maxima has kind of the easiest ride with the most freedom in her agenda and personality.
Mathilde's path pales into comparison with Letizia. She never had to endure years of ridicule from the media. However, the world praises her of her style and her modern ways. I too praise her style of parenting and her beauty and elegance. She is definitely my modern Queen. Very upfront and smart. Her charisma is not like other Queens.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:28 AM
Majesty

Only one Queen has charisma , it is Maxima.
Mathillde is a proud MAJESTY , we never had a Majesty before but Sire, Madame.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Letizia has had much to endure but I feel overtime she will overcome it all and will blossom into a wonderful queen just like her mother in law.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Letizia has had much to endure but I feel overtime she will overcome it all and will blossom into a wonderful queen just like her mother in law.
The docu mentioned that it took Sofia years to win over the spanish public, act by act, many of them dramatic where Sofia showed her empathy. But in Sofia's time there was no media pressure.
It was also mentioned that while people who deal directly with Letizia speak of her as warm and caring, the public perception is very different, so far she failed winning over the spanish people. The Palma incident proved this with social media going totally over the top in negativity, including MC, a family related princess who obviously has insider knowledge, accusing Letizia of showing her true colours.

I agree that Máxima is the only Queen who has true charisma, she turned the tide against her within seconds, famously calling WA a beetje dom, a bit stupid, with regard to his actions towards her family controversy. The public knew to differentiate between her and her father from the beginning. She already spoke dutch at the engagement and never seriously put a foot wrong, fully trusted by Queen B.

Letizia for some reason never managed to turn the tide, as Princess she started as bossy career woman type, transformed into a silent accessory and was never given the freedom to develop befitting her position. She always did her job in a professional manner, but something is lacking, authenticy, enthusiasm .... people seem not to buy what she sells. Surprisingly, people not even really warmed to her or at least thought live and let live after her sisters death that hit her very hard. The media became her hardest critic from day 1 and still is today.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The recent Easter Sunday Mass incident between the 2 queens was exactly the smoking gun the media were looking for after many years of rumours of bad blood between Letizia and members of the SRF and they came at her full throttle with social media Princess Marie Chantal and Letizia's delightful aunt Henar not helping matters either.

Max and Mat have had a disney land ride compared to Letizia.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think in the early years Letizia was popular. Maybe in the first three or four years. I personally always liked Letizia more than Maxima.
Maybe Letizia is apparently colder showing her emotions, but I think she never did anything wrong.
Letizia educates her daughters well and does a good job as a queen. And it's very professional. The criticisms are unfair.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Why were Place Royale and Royalty canceled?
Old 09-08-2019, 01:40 PM
Majesty

Was seen mostly by old people, who passed away . No interest for young people !
Old 09-09-2019, 03:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Letizia's big problem was that from the first moment she became the most beneficial character for a type of press whose main job is to criticize and destroy people. A press that generates audiences with criticism and scandal and to which it is not interesting to sell anything positive ... and in the end with that machinery, together with Internet and the character of Spanish people ... it is impossible to fight. The image of a public character is created by the media, and many times that image is something superficial that responds to certain interests... really few people have interest to know more.

If from the beginning the Royal House had put a limit on that, things would have been different ... but Juan Carlos had his particular agreement with the press, and while he was still being protected, the press needed a victim. They have won a lot of money with Letizia ... and as in Spain the Royal House does not complaint, as there are no codes to control the press ...

Now it's definitely late, and probably only time will put things in place.

Even Julia Melchior, the German journalist who made the documentary has made statements surprised by the attitude of the Spanish press.

"That is my observation: I see that the Spanish media are very critical of the Queen. The difference between them and us is that they don't stay long either because they have another reason: they come, take the picture and leave. But we stay and watch her, for example, chatting with people with rare diseases and it opens your heart to see the time she spends with those people, how it affects her ..."

"I think that has to do with the passionate Spanish character: you are very Goya, very white or black. In addition, she is compared a lot with Queen Sofia when her challenges are more complicated today with the challenges of the Internet and social networks ... Someone in the documentary says that they have to let her do it and that she will do it very well. And this is what I am trying to count on this program: you have to criticize her less and let her do more because she can change the world a little for good."

"And the Germans, how do they see Letizia?
Cold and distant, like the Spaniards, because the German press copies what the Spanish writes. She has a perfect image, very cute and a little distant. We, with all the hours that we have 'spied on', have discovered a very human person that does not correspond to the image of her."

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencial...vista_2184035/
Old 09-09-2019, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Mathilde is the 1st Belgian-born queen consort and also from the Belgian nobility and not from a foreign royal or noble house,her family had some personal family tragedies and live mainly out of the limelight .
Old 09-09-2019, 05:49 PM
Majesty

I think there are other factors too that go beyond Letizia's personality. Many Spanish royalists are very conservative/traditionalist and they don't accept/forgive Letizia because:

1. She was divorced and was rumored to be a republican and an atheist , and to have had an abortion (which was never proven BTW, but shows up a lot on social media).
  2. She is a plebeian who comes from a low middle-class family (her grandfather was a taxi driver etc.. That shows up a lot too on social media).

Believe it or not, but, even in 2019, many Spanish traditionalists would still prefer Felipe to have married a foreign princess like his mother even if it was not a love marriage and Felipe ended up having extramarital affairs as his father did.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Letizia's big problem was that from the first moment she became the most beneficial character for a type of press whose main job is to criticize and destroy people. A press that generates audiences with criticism and scandal and to which it is not interesting to sell anything positive ... and in the end with that machinery, together with Internet and the character of Spanish people ... it is impossible to fight. The image of a public character is created by the media, and many times that image is something superficial that responds to certain interests... really few people have interest to know more.

If from the beginning the Royal House had put a limit on that, things would have been different ... but Juan Carlos had his particular agreement with the press, and while he was still being protected, the press needed a victim. They have won a lot of money with Letizia ... and as in Spain the Royal House does not complaint, as there are no codes to control the press ...

Now it's definitely late, and probably only time will put things in place.

Even Julia Melchior, the German journalist who made the documentary has made statements surprised by the attitude of the Spanish press.

"That is my observation: I see that the Spanish media are very critical of the Queen. The difference between them and us is that they don't stay long either because they have another reason: they come, take the picture and leave. But we stay and watch her, for example, chatting with people with rare diseases and it opens your heart to see the time she spends with those people, how it affects her ..."

"I think that has to do with the passionate Spanish character: you are very Goya, very white or black. In addition, she is compared a lot with Queen Sofia when her challenges are more complicated today with the challenges of the Internet and social networks ... Someone in the documentary says that they have to let her do it and that she will do it very well. And this is what I am trying to count on this program: you have to criticize her less and let her do more because she can change the world a little for good."

"And the Germans, how do they see Letizia?
Cold and distant, like the Spaniards, because the German press copies what the Spanish writes. She has a perfect image, very cute and a little distant. We, with all the hours that we have 'spied on', have discovered a very human person that does not correspond to the image of her."

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencial...vista_2184035/
I think the personality change did not help, she went from animated and outspoken on engagement day (obviously her true character) to silent and subdued, like a smiling robot without agenda for many years. Many people got the feeling that she is only playing a role to please and the true Letizia is a different Person = fake. Even today, there is often a feeling that she is going through the motions, doing her job, the smile does not come from the heart.
The press had it easy portraying Letizia as cold or arrogant as she has a serious/professional face, extremely controlled. For example, even if the Dutch or swedish press tried to portray Maxima or Victoria as cold or distant, no chance, because their facial expressions clearly tell they are not. From early on, people suggested that Letizia was sad.
I think it was a very big mistake of casa real not to allow her to remain authentic and develop her role.

With regard to the German tabloid press, Letizia rarely makes headlines here. German royal press, we have like 10 magazines, focuses on the BRF, a league of their own anyway, and the swedish Royals because of the German Queen Silvia. Most people dont know Letizia and are not interested apart from major headlines as the War or the queens in Palma, so yes, its not positive but there is no campaign etc like in Spain.

I guess time will tell if Letizia becomes popular at some point, maybe when the focus will shift to her young and beautiful daughters.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Would queen Sofia not be known in Germany with her German Hanoverian roots?
Old 09-10-2019, 03:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

No, not really. But on the few occasions there is a story she features, she is being portrayed as a mother in law you dont really want to have. And that Felipe is and has always been a mama's boy. But Letizia made her bed and has to lie in it.who knows, maybe this is not so far from the truth.