The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-09-2018, 01:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
What is even more impressive when I stop to think of it (and building on your post, Dman), Charles does what he does because he *wants* to and not because he *has* to. He, very easily, could have lived a lush, hedonistic life if he had wanted to. He actually works without a paycheck to show for it (which makes me think he more than earns his funds from the Duchy of Cornwall) and he has totally defined and wrote the book on how to be a successful Prince of Wales.

There is no doubt in my mind that his sons love and appreciate him and he has a wife that adores him. He has a strong support team in his family and at 70, Charles is starting to come into his own and he's more than ready to be King. What's even more amazing is that he didn't wait to become King to make his mark on the world. He's been doing that all along.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

I have not heard or seen something new, which was not already known. But it was fascinating to see the interaction of the Prince with the public. Also the Duchess was so charming, I could see the symbiosis between the two. Looks like a fun couple. Charles and Camilla surely will make a fine royal couple.

What was interesting: the more outspoken, more passionate and more prominent role of Prince Harry. Sometimes I thought: "Hey, the dude next to you actually is the heir!", as Prince William was a bit low profile in this.

The words in which Charles stressed he wanted to remain within the constitutional parameters are very much alike with what the Prince of Orange stated about his (then) coming kingship: "When something has gone through all proper constitutional and democratic processes, I will assent it. Always." (With this ruling out any "meddling" or follow an own agenda).

Old 11-09-2018, 03:10 AM
Nobility

The most interesting bit to me in the documentary was how Charles defines the role of Prince of Wales vs the monarch. He talks about how there is no rules or expectations for the role of Prince of Wales,but you have more freedom than the constraints of the role of monarch.

I think Charles more than anyone else has looked very deeply into the role an purpose of the Prince of Wales position and he sees the position of the POW as a much more active hand-on role in contributing to society and shaping the lives of the people in the UK for better but sees the role of the monarch as a much more passive hands off role limited strictly to ceremonial duties.

POW is a much more about using your influence to change things for the better for everyone in the UK while the role of the monarch is simply to observe and provide stability.

That's very different than what I think most people think the Prince of Wales position to be about.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:17 AM
Royal Highness

I was impressed (together with his sons) that allready back in the early 1970ís he was talking about the problem of plastic trash.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-TURKEY.html

Charles talking to his turkeys made an impression too!
Old 11-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Royal Highness

I hope that this will air in the States eventually because it looks like a wonderful program. Itís nice to see William and Harry being so loving towards their father considering everything thatís been said about their relationship.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

You can watch it on youtube...the link is posted in the thread...I did this morning, was very good.

LaRae
Old 11-09-2018, 12:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
back in the early 1970’s he was talking about the problem of plastic trash.
I was deeply moved by his prescience on that issue.. it is TRAGIC that he was not merely ignored, but ridiculed for it..
Truly 'a Man ahead of his time'.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:11 PM
Commoner

thank you for posting the link to the video. i started to view him in a much more postive light over the last years. william has big steps to follow when he becomes the prince of wales. future prince of wales will be measured against charles as pow. i think charles will be a great king
Old 11-09-2018, 02:13 PM
Majesty

I also see him more positively these days. But also think he's become more positive. Pre Cams he could just be so preciously demanding, uppity and easily offended. And dour in aspect.
I think he is now far more laid back than he was pre Camilla. Still a bit precious, but certainly finding more to be happy about and look happy seeing these days. JMO.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:14 PM
Heir Apparent

And there we have it, so let's go through what he said:

Prince Charles at 70: I won't be a meddling monarch, I'm not stupid - Sky News.
Quote:
In the programme Prince Charles is asked how he sees the two roles as being different. The Prince says: "I've tried to make sure whatever I've done has been non party political.

"But I think it's vital to remember there's only room for one sovereign at a time, not two, so you can't be the same as the sovereign if you're the Prince of Wales or the heir.

"But the idea somehow that I'm going to go on in exactly the same way if I have to succeed is complete nonsense, because the two, the two situations are completely different.

"Clearly, I won't be able to do the same things I've done, you know, as heir so of course you operate within the constitutional parameters."

But when the interviewer suggests that some people are concerned his involvement will continue in the same way, Prince Charles becomes more animated, and replies in a direct way, saying: "No, it won't. I'm not that stupid, I do realise that it is a separate exercise being sovereign.

"So of course, you know I understand entirely how that should operate."
Prince Charles won't speak out when he becomes king - BBC News.
Quote:
By Nicholas Witchell, BBC royal correspondent

He has spent his adult life trying, as he puts it, "to make a difference". Often that has led the Prince of Wales to speak out about topics about which he feels deeply: the environment, GM crops, inner cities, architecture, education, homeopathic medicine and others.

It has, on occasions, caused irritation within the government departments that have had to respond to his heartfelt "black spider" handwritten letters raising, always courteously but often insistently, some issue that has come to the prince's attention.

It has all given rise to a greater concern. Does Prince Charles fully appreciate that, when he succeeds his mother and becomes Britain's king, these interventions will have to stop?

Those who know him have said for years that privately he fully understands that, as king, he would have to stop his "campaigning".

Prince Charles himself has always baulked at saying as much publicly. He's said to feel that any reference to how he will function as monarch could be seen as being disrespectful to his mother.

However, with the Queen now in her 93rd year, and with Prince Charles about to celebrate his 70th birthday, he has finally said - publicly and explicitly - that he does recognise his interventions on matters of public debate will have to stop as soon as he becomes king.
--------------------

Although (as he himself says in this documentary) Charles has never been party-political, I have previously written in other threads: ''That if he continues with his current campaigning as King, he would be stupid, and he's not.''

Well, I was right, he's not stupid at all. - And as I've also mentioned before: As monarch, he will most likely go into the role that the Queen occupied from 1952 to 2012, when she traveled around the UK, Commonwealth and wider world with her unifying apolitical presence, her walkabouts (1970-2012), speeches, etc, whithout being ''political/meddling'' (call it what you want).
But if he were to succeed in his 80s, then he could go straight into the role she's occupying right now, which will mean: No foreign-travel, no walkabouts, about 70% of the engagements inside the palaces, while the younger members of the family does the other stuff.

And then to his people-skills: Yes, I wrote ''people-skills.'' - Because in foreign media (also here in Norway), he is often portrayed as ''this cold, stiff man who is not particularly good with people.'' Hmm, what??!!?? Perhaps they should take some time in watching the man when he's out and about, because the TRUTH is that he is as good as both his sons (if not even better), when it comes to walkabouts, listening to people, etc (and remember, this is a HUUUUGE ''Duke/Duchess of Cambridge-fan'' speaking).
Another thing that is COMPLETELY WRONG is that he, according to some reporters, has become ''better, easier and less tense with the crowds'' since he married Camilla. Well, perhaps these reporters should watch some clips from his walkabouts and meetings with the public in the 1970s/80s/90s and see for themselves, because he was just as easy-going and charming back then, as he is now.

--------------------

BTW: Here are some of yesterday's front pages:

The Telegraph.

The Mail.

The Express.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
You can watch it on youtube...the link is posted in the thread...I did this morning, was very good.

LaRae
Oh great, thank you so much! I have a long weekend, so I know what I will be doing with some of it.....can't wait to see it!
Old 11-09-2018, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
What I don't understand about people that sees the Princes not mentioning their father when honoring their mother as a diss to him is this: do you expect them to mention and honor their mother when they are honoring their father?

No? Ok, then.

The fact of the matter is that Charles and Diana have long divorced. The boys can honor both parents. It's unlikely it'll ever be at the same time due to the amount of history that went down long before they came of age.
Just as a side note. Harry did make sure to mention 'mummy' in the interview as part of the documentary honouring his father.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I loved his 'I am not that stupid' remark.

It was also interesting how William stressed that he is his own man (he is clearly not aspiring his father's work ethic). And Charles also acknowledged that what he has done over his lifetime is just one way of fulfilling his role but he doesn't see it as a blueprint for future generations.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:07 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I watched the documentary last night and it was a wonderful and insightful programme - it was nice to hear interviews from William and Harry as well as others who are close to/know Charles. Before I became more interested in the RF I was never a big fan of Charles and Camilla, however after reading more about them I've grown to like them a lot and after HM and Philip they're my favourite British royal couple of the older generations. They seem like a lovely, down to earth pair and I agree that one can tell Charles is genuinely concerned about the welfare of the British public because he does all of his engagements and participates in all his charities because he wants to, not because he feels the need to due to his position.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 11-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Not enough coffee today and easily confuzzled. I'm moving a post here from the thread "Charles at Seventy Thoughts" which is based on Jobson's book and my post deals more with the documentary this thread is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Itís obvious that his sons love him very much (at least based on an article I read previewing the BBC special), but I can understand why Charles was hurt that William and Harry excluded him completely from that Diana special that aired a couple of years ago. I choose to think that kids can often be thoughtless, not thinking about their parentsí feelings. Iím also hoping that they, as they grow older, will eventually understand that their father did the best he could while raising them without their mother. Of course it reminds me that Charles himself struggled with his motherís absence when he was a boy. I also hope that Charlesí relationship with his parents is solid now, and that father and son are on better terms. Iíll probably buy the book at some point Ė itís nice to have what appears to be a balanced account of Charlesís life rather than the tawdry, ugly books that have been released in the last couple of years.
If I'm remembering right, when the boys did their remembrances for Diana's 20th anniversary of her death, Charles was at Birkhall during that time. Most likely he remembered Diana privately. There was no need to have him go public.

As Charles approaches 70, he's in a good place in both his public and private life. He's come into his own and just watching him, you no longer get the sense of negative emotions that were quite visible around him for some periods of his life. He's happy and it shows on his face wherever he goes. In fact, during the documentary, I remember looking at him and thinking "he has his mother's smile!" The kind of smile that reaches the eyes and makes the face light up.

He's accomplished so much during his time as Prince of Wales. So much that his son, William, has witnessed it, saw what his father was doing and it impressed on him ways that William would want to do the same but put his own mark on the way its done. An excellent example of parenting by example. The litter picking and the turning off of lights reminded me of growing up and to this day, if a light isn't needed, off it goes.

Those two boys grew up with knowing that if you're going to talk the talk, you also walk the walk. Both William and Harry grew up with parents that taught them to look outside of themselves and see around them where change is needed and impressed on them that they have been born into a situation where they can make a difference if they put their minds to it.

Yet, Charles is an "everyday" man that loves his private time talking to turkeys and digging and planting and is always on the go and thinking of different ways he can make a difference. He sets his mind to something and although it may drive people crazy at times, he wants results and gets them. This is a man that takes long walks to relax. No couch potato is Charles. As he does grow older, perhaps he will slow down a bit as his wife and kids want him to and just enjoy what's around him but Charles knows that his biggest role is yet to come. One thing I can be absolutely sure of is that Charles as King is going to be a king that will pour his heart and soul into the job and be sure to do the job properly as he is required to do. He has his sons to take up the banner of making a difference and fighting for change. He's taught them well.

The best is yet to come.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I have not heard or seen something new, which was not already known. But it was fascinating to see the interaction of the Prince with the public. Also the Duchess was so charming, I could see the symbiosis between the two. Looks like a fun couple. Charles and Camilla surely will make a fine royal couple...

The words in which Charles stressed he wanted to remain within the constitutional parameters are very much alike with what the Prince of Orange stated about his (then) coming kingship: "When something has gone through all proper constitutional and democratic processes, I will assent it. Always." (With this ruling out any "meddling" or follow an own agenda).
Yes indeed re your latter observation. Prince Charles was very adamant in expressing how he understands the difference between the role of King and titular head of state, versus the very lifelong role of Prince of Wales that he has had so many years to thoughtfully reflect upon and to forge his own identity upon in a proactive and productive way. It was cool when Prince Charles laughed and questioned the word, "meddling," with a twinkle in his eye. And then he said, "I like to think of it as 'motivating.'"

ITA as well that much of what we see in this documentary is not new. It's simply that many in the public and around the world have not been consciously aware of all of the wonderful projects and beneficial community-related activities Prince Charles has been involved in over the years. I've known about the good work of the Prince's Trust, and about Charles' sustainability practices and his amazing successes with the Duchy of Cornwall. I did not know as much about some of the other projects detailed in this documentary, such as the renovation of that old castle and efforts to rebuild the surrounding community.

I knew about Prince Charles having spoken out as a young man on social and progressive-minded issues. But he was generally always made fun of in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, e.g., for his views on modern architecture, the need for preservation, and his love for gardening. Those views and passionate interests are now very popular and more accepted but were fairly unpopular when Charles brought attention to them in his speeches and in his advocacy. I was not fully aware of Prince Charles having spoken out on climate change, pollution and waste crises, in 1970. I did know that as a young man, Charles had been taken under the wing of some wise older leaders in Britain and movers-and-shakers around the world. In the documentary, Charles credits some of them for helping him to see these issues from a responsible and thoughtful perspective. There was a movement for climate change in the 1970s and some of the earliest recognition and legislation was enacted during that decade, but it wasn't nearly enough. And then of course, the whole environmental awareness push faded away and was neglected as a result of poor leaders around the world being influenced by backers of corporate-profit-driven thinking harmful to the environment.

All-in-all, this documentary does an excellent job of allowing us to see Prince Charles' genuine caring personality, his warm sense of humor, and his active, productive approach to a high-profile role that is a difficult mantle to have been saddled with at such an early age when he was still learning and growing as a human being. No one is perfect, but he's come out on the other end at 70 years of age (after the scandalous drama of his first marriage), in strong fashion due to his own kind sensibilities, sense of duty, and caring for humanity. Prince Charles' personality has been seen as weak, but I think sometimes being caring and sensitive is often labeled as a weakness when in fact, there runs a core of deep strength and patience in Charles. Sure he was selfish and he lacked understanding toward his first wife, but that was largely because they were so unsuited and he had been browbeaten by some of his stiff-upper-lipped, old-fashioned elders into accepting that marrying the young, virginal Diana, was the right thing to do.

Charles has ultimately survived public unpopularity and misunderstanding, due to the solid support and love of Camilla, as well as the love and nurturing provided in his early years by his grandmother, the Queen Mother. And indeed, due to the current greater understanding, generosity and unspoken bond he shares with his mother, QEII. While Prince Philip has been a good father, I don't think he ever truly understood Charles' personality, and they have probably never been very close. Although Lord Louis Mountbatten was a strong figure in Charles' early upbringing, I wouldn't give power-driven and character-flawed Mountbatten as much credit for guiding Charles as I would some of the older leaders mentioned in the documentary. Charles also cultivated a number of friendships over the years with men much older than him who were progressive thinkers, e.g., Sir Laurens van der Post, who was named a godfather to Prince William.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurens_van_der_Post

I'm also not surprised about how Camilla's personality comes off. She's surely always been an engaging and warm person with a fun sense of humor. There's a recent positive documentary about Camilla that's available on Youtube, and worth checking out. Let's face it, the difficult love triangle did none of those in question any favors. But there should be an end put to the blaming and finger-pointing. There are reasons why things happened the way they did. It matters most now how everyone have moved forward. I believe Diana is at peace, and that she's very proud and happy for her sons. She and Charles, despite the hellish times, did share some happy moments together, and their two sons have proven to be a strong, viable and vastly important legacy for the future of the British monarchy. Charles and Diana were generally always on the same page regarding raising their sons. They are both very instrumental in how wonderful Harry and William have turned out, as indeed have been the two princes' paternal grandparents, and other mentors we don't know as much about.

Charles PofW has already led an influential and important life, and he will surely prove to be an important, transitional King of Great Britain & the Commonwealth in an age of uncertainty.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:40 PM
Serene Highness

I really enjoyed the documentary. I was struck by how involved in so much that Charles was. I wish his sons were as "stuck in" as it were in the lives of everyday Brits. I was also surprised by how loose security was around Charles. The Sussexes seemed to have a tighter security situation! I mean people were just rushing up to Charles and everything. I really liked it though because it seemed more approachable.

I thought the bits with Harry and Camilla were lovely. But I confess, I found William rather off-putting in this documentary.

I wish we could have heard from Charles' siblings as well...the bit were Charles tickled Anne while they were waiting for the CW Reception was just adorable!
Old 11-09-2018, 10:33 PM
Royal Highness

We don't know about how the security detail around Prince Charles vetted the crowd in advance re his visit to the 'hurricane' locale. Prince Charles currently has a much more low-key profile and appeal worldwide than do his sons, but I'm sure his overseas visits are no less well-vetted. There probably isn't as huge crowds for Prince Charles as Harry & Meghan recently received on their South Pacific tour, and in their touring of communities around Great Britain. The places Charles and all of the royals visit are carefully chosen. Keep in mind too that this documentary is meant to show Charles in an appealing light, as his ascendancy to the throne creeps ever more closer. That does not mean he isn't being accurately portrayed, just that the documentary is meant to be positive and flattering.

I personally disagree with the negative attitudes toward Prince William, voiced by several posters. Obviously, William is much more reserved than both his father and his brother. However, if you are truly looking at William's expressions and his smile, and if you recall some instances of William growing up (e.g., the gap year documentary) when he was a bit more open and gregarious, you will notice that William is just as responsible, kind, thoughtful and caring as Harry and Prince Charles. William simply carries himself differently, and he seems to come off in his adult years, a bit more understated and boring. William is probably more open and demonstrative in private with his family and close relatives. Also, with Harry being so outgoing and more expressively like Diana, it makes William seem even more retiring and dull than he actually is, IMHO.

William simply has a more reserved and cautious personality. I think William was a bit more demonstrative and mischievous when he was younger (remember how Diana called Wills a terror when he was a toddler), but he was probably always somewhat less outgoing in his personality than Harry. Strangely enough though, I read an article recently that indicated Prince Harry was rather shy when he was very young and just starting out in school, but that he soon came out of his shell and became a natural leader in school activities, especially re athletic endeavors.

IMO, Prince William was certainly just as impacted as Harry was, by their mother's tragic death, but in a uniquely different way. William, of course, was older than Harry and thus the impact was different, but surely no less deeply impactful. I think what William experienced growing up and losing his mother as a teenager, has seemingly made him very wary and cautious about expressing his personality too openly. Add to that the heavy burden of kingly inheritance, and William's already natural reserve has been unavoidably heightened, particularly toward the media.

William has not fully spoken in-depth about the ways in which his mother's death affected him emotionally, but we can see some small inklings of how William was impacted, in last year's tribute documentary to Diana, and in the three-way conversation video that was shown between Kate, William, and Harry as they were promoting mental health and their 'Heads Together' initiative. Perhaps William has shared more of his inner emotions with his wife, and perhaps with his wife's Dad, Michael Middleton, whom (from comments William has made) William appears to deeply respect and admire. Perhaps William also over the years opened up to his mentors. We do know that it was William who encouraged Harry to seek grief counseling.

Probably William has mostly silently shouldered the burdens of being the older brother, and heir to the throne. I think those burdens of responsibility have made William's personality even more reserved than he already is, particularly in public. Let's not forget that William is still rather young, and that Prince Charles was also roundly publicly criticized when he was the age William is now. Let's allow both William and Harry the space to experience the unfolding of their lives and to come into their own more fully and individually, as their father has done.

William's hair loss probably also gives him the appearance of being an old fuddy-duddy with a stern, stuck-in-the-mud personality. But I can see the humor in William's eyes. I also detect William's deep and unfailing love for his brother, his father, and for his grandparents QEII and Pip. William also has an understated, very dry sense of humor that doesn't always come across. I recall William stating upon his brother's engagement announcement that, "I'll be glad if Harry will now stop raiding my refrigerator."
Old 11-09-2018, 11:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I don’t want to get into the debate about If William is off putting or not. But I just want to comment about Harry.

As much as people keep saying William is like Charles, who people claim to be more serious and less affectionate, and Harry being more like his mother in affectionate. I think we can say it’s not true. I actually see a lot of Prince Charles in Harry’s expressiveness. In fact, I always am struck by how similar Charles and Harry are when we see them together. They both like a good time, but are very passionate about certain things. I’m not sure if this was how PoW always was when he was younger, but I certainly see the similarities in personality now.