Paola, côté jardin - Interview with Queen Paola; Feb. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany
Belgian "Het Laatste Nieuws" has some quotes from the documentary about Queen Paola that will be broadcast on RTBF:

"Between 1970 and 1980 I was really not happy (..) My life was a complete mess and I felt miserable. I didn't know where to go. Our divorce was in the air. For ten years I distanced myself from my relationship (..) Usually I felt very sad. Until Albert at one point said, "I've always loved you." It was good to hear that again. Unfortunately, we can't rewrite history, because I'd love to redo that decade. Only now do I realize how important it is to show enough affection. I am more and more fascinated by the love I feel now. It's the love I pursued when I was 20, without social limitations, without boundaries".

** hln: Koningin Paola vertelt voor het eerst over haar relatieproblemen: “Ik ben tien jaar lang erg ongelukkig geweest” **

I am not sure why Queen Paola stirs up old dust from the past.

In a televised interview even. I would say: let it rest, it is history.

I am not sure why Queen Paola stirs up old dust from the past.

In a televised interview even. I would say: let it rest, it is history.

Isn't it a story with a happy ending though? She says she is now feeling the love she looked for when she was 20, which is great at her age. I see no problem then acknowledging that there was a bumpy road, or even a cliff dive before her marriage could get to where it is now.

T
Was the Court informed ?? or is it a private film ?
enough , enough of this story . 70 % of the Belgians were against Delphine 's interview!

T
Was the Court informed ?? or is it a private film ?
enough , enough of this story . 70 % of the Belgians were against Delphine 's interview!

Yes, the court was informed:
https://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20210225_97334895 (text in Dutch, though).

And as long as this is your opinion it's fine, but I don't think you can generally state that this story has been enough. There is always the historical interest as this is royal and has largely played out in the public eye.

And 70%? Where did you get that number from?

After a vote in my french TV magazine , the Result were 32 % interested 68 % people found it indecent.

I read Queen Paola's 12 pages of Paris Match , nothing new .

Paola cote jardin will be seen only on french TV RTBF !

Last edited:
That explains - the Wallonian part of Belgium is of that opinion.
I think it's different in Flanders.

I wouldnt take a TV magazine poll too seriously, anyway...

I wouldnt take a TV magazine poll too seriously, anyway...

It is possible that a TV magazine could conduct or commission a scientific poll, but without more information there is no way of knowing whether that was the case.

That explains - the Wallonian part of Belgium is of that opinion.
I think it's different in Flanders.

The support for the monarchy is far more substantial in the French speaking part of Belgium. That is a reverse of the situation in 1952 when the Dutch speaking part saved the monarchy in the Referendum.

The support for the monarchy is far more substantial in the French speaking part of Belgium. That is a reverse of the situation in 1952 when the Dutch speaking part saved the monarchy in the Referendum.

I was speaking about the support for Delphine's interview - as maria-olivia stated. Not about support for the monarchy in general - that subject doesn't belong here.

You are right , I don't have comments in Dutch about the Delphine Interview !

Back to Queen Paola , Years ago ,there was an interview of King Albert II in the two languages He speaks fluently.
Here it is only in french ....and on rtbf french TV !

The article is speculating if the issues the Queen supposedly had with her sons have been solved. Both her sons will speak about their mother in the dcumentary. And another surprise is to see Queen Mathilde, as there has been rumours for years that she did not get along with her mother-in-law.

I am very much looking forward to this documentary. The last time she did an interview was in 2006, when the VRT and RTBF showed the programme 'Paola, the voice of the Queen'. In it she was interviewed by various friends in French, Italian and Dutch:

Last edited:
Will the Queen speak Dutch to her Children and Grandchildren ?

It’s an RTBF documentary, so I expect not.

The press was able to view the documentary today. It will be aired friday the 18th on the RTBF and sunday the 20th on the VRT.

The article of VRT News is positive.

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2022/0...rtbf-documentaire-mijn-man-is-fantastisch-hi/

Some tidbits:

- Asked about her mother in law, Claire describes her as direct, not very diplomatic. When the interviewer asked Claire to describe her mother-in-law, the Queen teased: shall I leave? When count Bernhard de Traux gives her a compliment for her dedication to the Queen Paola Foundation she turns to the interviewer and says: you see how difficult it is not to consider yourself too important?

- Albert asked her to marry him while she was driving, he joked: 'so she couldn't slap my face when I proposed' . Her reply was that she had to think about it, but that under no circumstances she would want to become Queen. When he asked why not, she replied : so many royal heads have rolled. Look at the French revolution, I do not want my head to be chopped of, as happened with the wife of that poor Louis XVI'. Paola now says it was a joke to gain time & get to know each other better.

The Queen now says: it all went so quick. We barely grew out of our adolescent years. We were both very young and stepped into a world of which we understood little.

- Her arrival in Belgium was difficult for her. The paparazzi, the massive adoration of people, the strict limits of court life, and being adressed as Highness instead of Mme Ruffo. At the time she said that she was not a vedette, but all of a sudden she found herself at the center of attention. Due to her shyness she did not like to speak in public and she had difficulties in learning the languages, esp. Dutch: 'it was a struggle. I made enormous efforts of which nobody knows'.

- After the wedding of Baudouin and Fabiola the couple was told to move to the background. Albert was often away on foreign visits. The Queen says: 'I did not have a real role, except the children. I had to rethink my life'.

- About the children Albert says: my own father was very strict with me and I copied him. I was also very authoritarian with Philippe. When a doctor told me that things were not going well with my son, my reaction was to let him go. I should have dealtwith it differently but at the moment I had given up my interest in him.

The children were raised with a lot of nannies and governesses around. 'We were in a pivotal moment, when the zeitgeist was changing. Afterwards young parents paid a lot more attention to raising their children themselves. Paola adds: 'we were en route to a divorce, if we had not regrouped on time. It is a pity we can't re-do it. I understand now how important it is to show affection to your children.

- The interview does not talk about Delphine or her mother. They do talk about a photo of Paola walking on a beach & embraced by a man who is not Albert. Paola comments: I don't feel guilty about that. It was taken at a moment when things really were not working any more. It was a bit of a selfish love. I wouldn t do it again under these circumstances but I don't regret anything.

- I was not happy and distanced myself from everything. I have been alone a lot, between the years 70 and 80. I was unhappy and sad and then there was the risk of a divorce... Things change when they meet to arrange the divorce. The lawyers stated that the children would not go to the wife but to Albert. And Albert said: that is not fair and unacceptable. The children have a right to their mother. The rest followed from there.

A reconciliation followed step by step. Paola says: you need to give it time. Other things are going on. There is no haste any longer, it is not so much about sex, there is tenderness. And that is good.

Albert says: we rejoice to see how magnificently our children are doing things, even if they had problems. They all raised their children excellently.

-
The children are being interviewed.

Astrid: it is not a secret, weall suffered from it. But I love my parents and I admire my mother. In difficult moments she was exceptional. A great lady, she never talked badly about anybody. It is something I still have to learn. The princess becomes emotional and adds: I love her enormously, I truely am greatly attached to her.

Like Claire, King Philippe says that his mother is a straight talker. She is a non-conformist, very creative and takes the initiative. But especially a non-conformist. Of course as children we witnessed difficult things, things that were tough for the entire family. We all suffered from it. But today you are happy, and that is a victory. You have to really want it. That is courageous and something that doesn't happen by itself. Reconsiliation and forgiveness are the most difficult things that exist but also the greatest.

Even Laurent is complimentary: what I would like my childre to take from her is her drive, the will to persue things to the end. Having a passion, that is something that makes you stronger.

Last edited:
I've often wondered if the rumours of difficult relationship between Mathilde and Paola were true and if it was the same case for Princess Claire?

It sounds like a very honest reflection about her life.

So they do publicly admit they were bad parents… and yet they don’t sound exceptionally sorry about it? :ermm: I wonder if the “son” and the doctor Albert refers to is Laurent or Philippe.

I feel bad for PAL having to go on camera and say “we suffered”, but the King’s statement about happiness is pretty wise.

Considering Delphine’s documentary, the appearance of this one can’t really be a coincidence, or can it?

I find that a bit harsh TBH. On previous occassions the king and queen talked about the issue, among them in the 2013 post-abdication interview of the King (and Queen). At this stage it seems they are reflective of their past choices and try to understand them. What else can they do? Start wailing, cover themselves with ashes, drop to the floor and beg for forgiveness? If they are sufficiently sorry or not is something between their children and themselves. It all happened 40-50 years ago.

As for the timing: the RTBF reporter said that he approached the palace and they eventually said yes. The initiative did not come from the palace. As to why, my personal guess is that the family felt the need to show the county that the family has moved on from the problems now the soap opera of the court case has come to an end.

Last edited:
It didn’t all happen 40-50 years ago. Or in a vacuum. Laurent has essentially paid every single day of his life for his parents’ neglect, Philippe suffered pretty badly (why he stresses the victory of happiness), and Astrid too seems not unaffected. And then there’s Delphine.

I’m not expecting A&P to wail or grovel, but if you can reflect through all the issues you had, (kind of, sort of) realize how badly you damaged your children in the process, and not flatly say “and that is my greatest regret”, not “that was the zeitgeist”, not “I gave up”, you haven’t gotten to the conclusion most people who are truly sorry come to.

I really think they are the worst modern European royal parents, and it chills me to think about any competitors that they might have.

Why go on about it in public? If they wernt great parents, its up to them now to try and make it up to their children and grandchildren

So they do publicly admit they were bad parents… and yet they don’t sound exceptionally sorry about it? :ermm: I wonder if the “son” and the doctor Albert refers to is Laurent or Philippe.

I feel bad for PAL having to go on camera and say “we suffered”, but the King’s statement about happiness is pretty wise.

Considering Delphine’s documentary, the appearance of this one can’t really be a coincidence, or can it?

I read the article in Dutch. The story about the doctor and Albert giving up on his son is about Philippe.

In Dutch:
Als het gaat over hoe ze in die periode met hun kinderen omgaan is Albert opvallend openhartig: “Mijn vader was erg streng, en ik deed hem na, ik was ook heel autoritair met Filip. Toen was er een arts die zei: “Het gaat helemaal niet goed met uw zoon. Hij wordt ziek als u zo doorgaat.” Mijn reactie was om hem los te laten. Ik had het anders moeten aanpakken. Maar op dat moment heb ik mijn interesse voor hem laten varen.”

Translation:
When it comes to how they dealt with their children during that period, Albert is remarkably candid: “My father was very strict, and I imitated him, I was also very authoritarian with Philippe. Then there was a doctor who said, “Your son is not well at all. He will get sick if you go on like this.” My reaction was to let him go. I should have handled it differently. But at that point I gave up my interest in him.”

Pretty strong language for a father looking back on how he treated his eldest son. I wonder whether he figured that Philip was the successor of his uncle and therefore was Baudouin's responsibility?!

Last edited:
I really think they are the worst modern European royal parents, and it chills me to think about any competitors that they might have.

I am not so sure. Most European royals have a record of being "bad parents". Maybe Albert and Paola are just more candid about it than others.

The circumstances of the Belgian Royal Family in the 1960s and 1970s were hardly conducive to raising happy children anyway. Baudouin and Fabiola, their personal qualities notwithstanding, were pretty eccentric to say the least. And Albert and Paola were trapped in an unhappy marriage where both were unfaithful to each other at a time when divorce was not a very realistic option in a Catholic monarchy whose future was uncertain. Philippe also had personal issues as a young man regardless of how his parents treated (or mistreated) him. He was lucky to marry someone like Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz; whether there is actual love in their marriage or not (I honestly don't know), it seems to have worked out for both of them.

I am not so sure. Most European royals have a record of being "bad parents". Maybe Albert and Paola are just more candid about it than others.

The circumstances of the Belgian Royal Family in the 1960s and 1970s were hardly conducive to raising happy children anyway. Baudouin and Fabiola, their personal qualities notwithstanding, were pretty eccentric to say the least. And Albert and Paola were trapped in an unhappy marriage where both were unfaithful to each other at a time when divorce was not a very realistic option in a Catholic monarchy whose future was uncertain. Philippe also had personal issues as a young man regardless of how his parents treated (or mistreated) him. He was lucky to marry someone like Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz; whether there is actual love in their marriage or not (I honestly don't know), it seems to have worked out for both of them.

Once "someone" stated "whatever in love means". Love do not have the same connotation for everyone. But not what is their interpretation of the meaning of it, I think you can tell they love each other very much.

Considering what kind of the damaged household Philippe experienced, he is a wonderful father and is children are absolutely amazing. He was lucky to find Mathilde, but I guess he fought hard to make things work they it did with everything that went on in his family (his step sister included).

I read the article in Dutch. The story about the doctor and Albert giving up on his son is about Philippe.

In Dutch:
Als het gaat over hoe ze in die periode met hun kinderen omgaan is Albert opvallend openhartig: “Mijn vader was erg streng, en ik deed hem na, ik was ook heel autoritair met Filip. Toen was er een arts die zei: “Het gaat helemaal niet goed met uw zoon. Hij wordt ziek als u zo doorgaat.” Mijn reactie was om hem los te laten. Ik had het anders moeten aanpakken. Maar op dat moment heb ik mijn interesse voor hem laten varen.”

Translation:
When it comes to how they dealt with their children during that period, Albert is remarkably candid: “My father was very strict, and I imitated him, I was also very authoritarian with Philippe. Then there was a doctor who said, “Your son is not well at all. He will get sick if you go on like this.” My reaction was to let him go. I should have handled it differently. But at that point I gave up my interest in him.”

Pretty strong language for a father looking back on how he treated his eldest son. I wonder whether he figured that Philip was the successor of his uncle and therefore was Baudouin's responsibility?!

Other than the scandal ensuing, I wonder why Albert and Paola didn’t just let Baudouin and Fabiola officially have guardianship of the kids. I know Laurent wasn’t happy with them either, but surely that had to be better than two unhappy biological parents who weren’t giving a ****. The kids could have gotten a much more stable environment, Baudouin and Fabiola could have had their much-longed for children, and Albert and Paola could have split. Hindsight, 20/20.

Back
Top Bottom