"Our Queen at 90" (2016) - ITV Documentary on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am surprised that some people find Sophie's comments about the Queen wearing bright clothes as news. It was news back in the 1950s maybe but not now. It has been reported over and over again why she wears bright clothes.

There has been nothing indicated by any of the royals in the snippets released so far that hasn't been in the public domain for ages - other than Kate making chutney for their first Christmas as the earlier version was homemade jam not chutney but ...

I had hoped they would say something new and not simply restate the same things they have been saying for years - she is great - that is all. No new insights - not new tidbits (learn more from friends who know her and others who have family members who work at BP).

Her Majesty hopes for good weather for a planned ride later in the week. Released by ITV ahead of its 'Our Queen at 90' documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69vPr97uQ9k&feature=player_embedded

Her Majesty out riding in Windsor with her Head Groom. Released by ITV ahead of its 'Our Queen at 90' documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Kykrr78YZo8

Her Majesty visits her stables at Windsor. Released by ITV ahead of its 'Our Queen at 90' documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_xQubH_C7lE

The Queen At 90 had positive response on Twitter as viewers loved hilarious cushion | Daily Mail Online

GALLERY: What we learned from BBC's Elizabeth at 90 ? A Family Tribute - Photo 1

Last edited by a moderator:
How funny! Can't wait to see the whole programme!

There's this website called mediahhh.com that allows you to watch UK tv. I downloaded the app and now I'll be able to watch the doc this afternoon.

There's this website called mediahhh.com that allows you to watch UK tv. I downloaded the app and now I'll be able to watch the doc this afternoon.

WOW...This is really cool!!! Thanks Dman...Great App

Kate - "I've no idea where she gets her energy from ... i need to go and ask a few more questions"

:lol: most would agree

Kate sounds more royal than those born royal - her accent is very posh and at time she is quiet hard to understand.

Always love seeing the pictures the Quern has displayed in her private sitting room - lovely informal picture taken with her and Zara at Zara's wedding wedding reception at Holyrood Palace very informal like it was taken on a phone snapping a cute moment between granny and granddaughter

Last edited:
I personally think the royals deliberately try to tone down the poshness of their accents, they aim for a kind of Estuary English but I don't think that's how they speak privately.

I don't think that Kate does that so she can sound a bit more upper crust than some of the royals.

Last edited:
Touching moment when Beatrice got very emotional and nearly cried as she talked about her "fabulous grandfather" saying that he is the most unique person and that she is very lucky to share magical moments with him.
Eugenie describes him as "incredible, strong and consistent" and the rock for all of them not just the Queen. You could also tell she was getting emotional and close to tears when talking about the Duke of Edinburgh
Kate and William also spoke about the special support that the Queen gets from DoE
Sophie describes him as a gentleman and a gentle man who is curious and looks out for the Queen and is her protector

Last edited:
Really love the footage from the Diplomatic reception. They should do that every year. Looks so awesome! And I love the Lover's Knot on the DoCam! Looks brilliant on her!
The Royal Family really admires the Queen, which is absolutely terrific and it's so nice to hear it from them. Love such documentary with all the royals, they really share personal experiences and that is awesome.

Kate spoke about as she is a new mother and to her royal role, she does not know how the Queen managed to her role as both a mother (of 4) and head of state - she describes it as extraordinary

Quite a bit of talking from Kate - less contribution from Charles than i expected. Sophie Wessex comes across as funny, charming and quite lovely very impressed with her contribution pieces

It was all very pleasant, although little that we haven't seen before. Really the only 'new' thing was Kate giving an interview. I understood everything she said and she clearly respects HM very deeply.

I was most touched by those who had received awards from the Queen. The fire officer's tears at getting his medal from the HM were so sincere. Also, Bill Speakman saying there's no medal big enough for the Queen - from a Victoria Cross winner no less.

David Beckham clearly adores HM also.

Williams story about his first diplomatic reception when he spoke to 2 ambassadors from different countries who don't get along and got muddled up about details which he said was awkward but the Queen laughed and was "very cool about it' and there was no diplomatic fallout afterwards

Obama's tribute was very nice i thought - its clear that he and the First lady have a special friendly relationship with the Queen

Last edited:
I personally think the royals deliberately try to tone down the poshness of their accents, they aim for a kind of Estuary English but I don't think that's how they speak privately.

I don't think that Kate does that so she can sound a bit more upper crust than some of the royals.

I agree. Some of the royals try to talk down, and play it cool. Like when Harry used slang and called Cressida "his bird". William also does it, too. Remember when William imitated that Jay-Z song, and "brushed dirt off his shoulder". Cringe!

Catherine doesn't bother trying to be fly or a hipster. She's fine with being humdrum, as we see by her clothing choices.

Last edited:
I was pleasantly surprised by this documentary, although there wasn't much that we haven't seen before.

I really enjoyed seeing Charles talk about his darling mama, but it wasn't much we saw of him, and it's clear that the media does not prioritize Charles.

I also enjoyed the other interviews and I agree with David Beckham, our beloved Queen is "the number one leader" and she makes me proud to be half British.

To be honest I got cracks in my fillings seeing the one laudatio to the other dripping from sugarsweet fondant. Yes, she is the Most Wonderful, Most Adorable, Most Righteous of us all. I had to look to the corner to see the logo, that I was not watching the birthday-program of Kim Jong-Il by accident.

I missed some balance. The turmoil her nation is in, the threats from all sides, the royal family in a fast-changing world and media-landscape. The tragedies (Bloody Sunday, Hillsborough, the Herald of Free Enterprise, the London Bombings, the death of Diana). Nothing. Only roses and moonshine. Only cherubins and seraphins on little pinky clouds singing the praise of Elizabeth The Magnificent.... The Holy Virgin almost looked pale next to her, if you heard the litany of praises. Good heavens!

Last edited:
:previous: It's not meant to be a hard-hitting documentary. It's a tribute to a national leader on her 90th birthday! There's enough bad news out there.

If you look back to the jubilees of Queen Victoria and King George V, though admittedly there was no TV, no internet, the media that existed was just as sacherine in its tributes. We've never had a 90 year old on the British throne to compare the reception given to Elizabeth on reaching her milestone. After the Queen's death (and may it be many moons away) there will undoubtedly be some documentaries reflecting the more sober events of her reign.

To be honest I got cracks in my fillings seeing the one laudatio to the other dripping from sugarsweet fondant. Yes, she is the Most Wonderful, Most Adorable, Most Righteous of us all. I had to look to the corner to see the logo, that I was not watching the birthday-program of Kim Jong-Il by accident.

I missed some balance. The turmoil her nation is in, the threats from all sides, the royal family in a fast-changing world and media-landscape. The tragedies (Bloody Sunday, Hillsborough, the Herald of Free Enterprise, the London Bombings, the death of Diana). Nothing. Only roses and moonshine. Only cherubins and seraphins on little pinky clouds singing the praise of Elizabeth The Magnificent.... The Holy Virgin almost looked pale next to her, if you heard the litany of praises. Good heavens!

1: I try to be polite, but this quote from you is just ridiculous.

2: The UK is not in turmoil, and there are not threats from all sides.

3: This has been discussed several times before in other documentaries. And her actions during Diana's death was admirable. She took care of her grandchildren.

4: I've talked to my British mother and a British friend on the phone and they think it was too little praise.

She is simply THE QUEEN and she is an international icon and the embodiment of royalty. She has dedicated her life to the UK and the Commonwealth, and have spent the last 63 years building relations and friendship between nations. She's was known as the world top diplomat until at least 2011 (when she almost stopped traveling) She was also with her parents, sister and Winston Churchill a symbol of peace during World War II. (There wasn't much about that.)

She has a good relationship with her staff, and care about them. (There wasn't much about that either.)

Why wasn't there more praise/criticism from experts/politicians? Because this was not that kind of documentary. This was about what her family thinks.

Do you know if it's possible to watch the documentary after it has aired?

Just finished watching it on YouTube. I thought it was nice. Very similar to Our Queen which was written by the same person who did this one. The diplomatic reception scenes were interesting because that's something we haven't seen. The state dinners, investitures, garden party preparation we have seen it before.

I liked the choice of using Olivia Coleman as the narrator.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I've just watched it as well. My takeaways:

1. Sophie has the best camera presence. Not surprising with her media background.

2. Beatrice is very sweet when talking about her grandparents.

3. Beatrice and Eugenie definitely get their mannerisms and way of speaking from Sarah instead of Andrew.

4. The Queen surrounds herself with quality staff at the Palace. They were more charming than the Royals themselves, and I don't mean that as a dig at the Royals.

5. The documentary heavily relied on her grandchildren. You can tell the documentary maker was trying to appeal to the younger demographic. But personally I feel that The Queen's children should have been given more focus. Along with Philip they are the ones who support her the most. So it was sad to see Charles and Andrew give just brief soundbites. Anne's family in particular was underrepresented.

6. It was nice to hear from Nicola and Obama! I'm glad they didn't leave it at Cameron, like usual. I don't like him much.

Watch it now before youtube/ITV removes it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD7dAsNxmrQ

Thanks for posting.

I think it was edited to showcase William and Catherine.
I was a bit disappointed. They should have focused more on the Queen.

Princess Anne & Prince Edward were not included. I have a hard time believing that both chose not to participate. I tend to think that their comments were not included in the broadcast.

I enjoyed Beatrice's comments, Camilla's comments and Andrew's.

The television crew did not even bother to allow Charles or Camilla to sit down. That says alot about the type of interview and the amount of time the crew was willing to invest in interviewing Charles or Camilla. One has to wonder how they treated Anne or Edward that they ended up on the cutting room floor.

More deserved praise for our amazing monarch:

The Queen At 90 had positive response on Twitter as viewers loved hilarious cushion | Daily Mail Online
'It's good to be Queen!' Heart-warming moment viewers spot humorous cushion in Her Majesty's living room at Balmoral during documentary marking her 90th birthday

It was a landmark television documentary that offered a glimpse of the Queen as the world seldom sees her.

And eagle-eyed viewers were quick to pick up on just one of the heart-warming moments, spotting a humorous cushion in Her Majesty's living room at Balmoral which read: 'It's good to be Queen!'

Her regal charm was also evident in a scene at Sandringham stables, laughing at how one of her 'prima donna' ponies repeatedly spat out a carrot.

The documentary Our Queen At 90 - marking Elizabeth II's birthday - was a hit with viewers, with many taking to Twitter to share their favourite moments.

I enjoyed the doc. It's was mainly a family tribute to their mother and grandmother. I like that the doc was made to appeal to the younger generation. I got the sense that William and Catherine are being groomed for their future roles by Her Majesty.

Of course, we knew ahead of time of the members of the family that participated in the doc. The younger royals was the main feature. Again, a sign that the focus is turning to the young generation and future leaders of the "firm".

I know people like to paint William has a man who would like to throw the monarchy in the garbage and live a normal life, but in this doc, I sense he and Catherine are paying attention to the examples of The Queen and know how important royal duties are. I don't see them running away from it, but embracing it by leaning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom