"Our Queen" (2013) - ITV Portrait of Queen Elizabeth II during Diamond Jubilee year

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shocked to find out that royals aren't told where they're seated so they have to look for their seat. Sophie just described a situation where she couldn't find her seat and The Queen was staring at her to sit down!

And Sophie says that she will read her notes better in future

Buckingham Palace shower hat anyone, £6.95? Tea towel for £8.95?

Would never have guessed that was a door!

Margrethe also sounds nothing like I imagined, and I simply love her take on the Olympic jump.

Loved hearing bagpipes in PNG.

Last edited:
'Our Queen' can be watched at 8pm UK time here:
tvpc.com - ITV-1

As usual thank you so much Dman to provide all these links for us abroad. I enjoyed this documentary very much.

Yes, I think it's very helpful to make sure you read the notes ahead of the State Banquets. Very nice of Sophie to tell that story. I'm sure Catherine will have to read the notes too when she attends the State Banquets for the first time.

Queen Margarethe of Denmark seemed very happy to talk about her cousin, The Queen. She shared in the surprise and excitement over The Queen's Bond Jump at the Olympics Ceremony. I also liked when Queen Margarethe mentioned that you have to be dedicated as the Monarch or else the job wouldn't work.

Charles was very funny on describing when he, The Queen and Camilla was closed up in the wooden box at the Jubilee Concert. They had no idea what was going on when the loud noise started during the fireworks display. They actually missed the fireworks.

Very nice to end the doc talking about baby Cambridge.

I only saw the last 5 minutes or so...but those were very interesting 5 minutes, and I loved seeing the queen in the cabinet room, I can't but help that that must have been a very odd experience for her!

A wonderful documentary. I always love hearing from people who have met HM for the first time. She spreads a kind of joy everywhere she goes (that sounds silly, but I can't think of a better way of putting it).

Sophie was so pretty and didn't sound very posh to me. Both she and Eugenie came across really well. So too did Prince Charles who even came out with a little snort when giggling over the naughty-sounding pidgin English in PNG.

Someone else please tell me they too cracked up at the coach driver struggling to get up on top of the carriage?

Sophie sounded much more posh in the video she recorded for the National Autism Society. Perhaps this was a bit more relaxed. I still think she does sound posh, but her voice is a lot deeper than I imagined. Her laugh at the Queen staring at her at a State Banquet was funny. I find it amusing that she sat in the wrong seat a few times. Amusing and I can imagine the family, particularly Edward, being like, "oh for flipsake."

Lovely documentary on the Queen, and I like Charles' thoughts on his trip with Camilla. Lovely. :)

I cannot believe the Diamond Jubilee year is well and truly over. I look forward to the 60 Anniversary of the Coronation.

I was kinda shocked to see him get on the coach like that. I was also thinking that I would've fallen off in that situation.

You can really see how hard The Queen and royal family work, even behind the scenes. I think we have to take some time and enjoy watching The Queen do her stuff at nearly 87 years old. She won't be able to do all this forever.

Ah, this documentary sounds so exciting. I'm now kinda sad that I decided against watching it tonight, I'm gonna have to find a way to see it as soon as possible. Seeing as QMII is in it, I can imagine it's gonna be shown here in Denmark at some point.

I had my dvr set to record this as I was out for a Family meal and guess what it never recorded :sad:

I enjoyed it very much. favourite bits were comments by QM of Denmark especially how HMQs words about dedication for life has influenced her views on the monarchy, how hard her staff work, RVO given to relatively junior, but probably long serving, staff.
Also David Walliams comments about politicians currying favour but the Queen is above all that and finally I was moved by Prince Charles comments on Camilla and how wonderful she was. That is truly a great comment to hear from him.

Well worth the watch.

EDIT. Sorry Charles said "special", not wonderful but he probably thinks she is, anyway.

Last edited:
I wonder if ITV are repeating it?

Any ideas when we in the US will be able to see it? I'm guessing on PBS.

I asked this before..And no one bothered to answer. Once again..
When are they going to put the full documentary on Youtube?
Will it take much longer?

I asked this before..And no one bothered to answer. Once again..
When are they going to put the full documentary on Youtube?
Will it take much longer?

I have checked Youtube for you and found it! It was uploaded four hours ago!
I search "ITV Our Queen" and it should be the first one on the result.

I add my thanks and will watch this documentary tonight! I am especially wondering about the picture of the Queen's sitting room at Balmoral shown in today's Telegraph where she and the prime minister are sitting in front of what look like two kilts on some sort of brass stand. Hopefully the documentary will shed some light on the function of these very odd items!:flowers::flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
A simply wonderful programme. I'd recommend it to all 'royal watchers'.

Bravo to ITV. I think its unlikely the BBC would have made such a programme { without adding a snide, cynical, 'bien pensant' slant}

Well, I've just started to watch this programme and seen about 20 minutes of it and am very impressed. It may interest some people to know of the Queen's relationship with royalty overseas.....particularly the Swedish Royal Family: in her sitting room at Buckingham Palace, not only does she have a wedding photo of King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia, next to it is a photo of Prince Bertil and Princess Lilian!

I agree with Wyevale, this is a must for all royal watchers. ITV have brought us probably the most intimate programme about the Queen!

I have just watched the entire video on Youtube.
Maybe the description of "unlimited/priveleged" access raised my expectations too much..
But now I just feel most of the video a good re-cap of what we have seen all over these years, in particular context of this year.

I think more than us regular royal watchers, those who do not specifically watch royal-related things, will enjoy this well..
Overall, a nice documentary.
The only highlights are microphones in flowers, QMII's comments on Olympic jump and Sophie's chair-blooper, and finally the Prince of Wales taking an oppurtunity to reveal his love for his wife (wonder why DM hasnt picked it to poke Diana fanatics)..

Last edited:
I just watched this on you tube and enjoyed it immensely.

I thought Eugenie came across very well and she obviously has great love for her grandparents. I also enjoyed listening to Sophie's stories from the banquet.

Think I may have to add this to my collection when it becomes available for purchase.

Probably the best bit about the documentary was Sophie's interview - as i believe this is the first time she has been interviewed since her pre-wedding one.
Also nice to hear from QM from denmark on the Olympic jump!

Bar that it was all very much the same as before in these sorts of programmes - behind the scenes at state banquets, balmoral, PM weekly audiences.

A simply wonderful programme. I'd recommend it to all 'royal watchers'.

Bravo to ITV. I think its unlikely the BBC would have made such a programme { without adding a snide, cynical, 'bien pensant' slant}

The BBC did a extenisve 3 part Diamond Queen special last year - with much more access and interviews with more royals (her children and all the adult grandhcildren granted exclusives) - so this ITV programme offers very little new - bar interview with Sophie and the danish Queen.

Can't work out what Sophie did to her RVO sash at the banquet. It looked like it had been cut in two. Did anyone else notice that?

I agree with other posters the best bits for me were from Queen Margrethe and Sophie. Especially Sophie's details about being nervous about state banquets.

It was a very small part but I loved the interaction between the Queen and Queen Beatrix. They greeted each other so warmly it was fantastic to see.

I'd so enjoy a cup of tea with Margarethe and would love to pick her brain.

I wonder who the Queen wanted at her table. :)

Something David Cameron says kind of stands out. "Deputy prime minister" , there is no such "legal" position. HM king George VI has been well documented in his refusal with Eden in even acknowlodging the title. In that it would displace with the Royal Prerogative of the monarchs choice.

I watched it online lads night and it was a wonderful documentary,I hope it gets a dvd release soon!

Back
Top Bottom