Other Historical Royal Movies and Series

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's a series on Marie Antoinette starting on BBC 2 next week. I don't know whether it's been shown anywhere else already.

It’s new and it’s an 8- part drama written by Deborah Davis who wrote The Favourite. Marie Antoinette is played by the German actress Emilia Schule.

There's a series on Marie Antoinette starting on BBC 2 next week. I don't know whether it's been shown anywhere else already.

Did anyone watch it,I was away over Christmas and forgot to set it to record!

Jeanne du Barry 2023

We have a new movie on Madame du Barry coming out this summer with Johnny Depp as Louis XV.
It will have its premier at the Cannes Film Festival next month in May.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17277414/

Jeanne du Barry 2023

We have a new movie on Madame du Barry coming out this summer with Johnny Depp as Louis XV.

It will have its premier at the Cannes Film Festival next month in May.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17277414/
I couldn't properly hear due to the loud chatter of the children. But is the movie in French? And if so, is JD speaking french too?

I believe the movie is entirely in French and was filmed on location in France

If Johnny Depp is speaking French throughout the film that should be interesting (Wasnt his wife, the mother of his children, French?)

If Johnny Depp is speaking French throughout the film that should be interesting (Wasnt his wife, the mother of his children, French?)

Yes Mr Depp was in a relationship to French singer and actress Vanessa Paradis from 1998-2012.

Thanks, I will try and see it again after the children are in bed. [emoji1]
I knew about his relationship with Vanessa, but that of course is no garanty that he speaks French well enough to be acceptable for a French movie director.

Thanks, I will try and see it again after the children are in bed. [emoji1]
I knew about his relationship with Vanessa, but that of course is no garanty that he speaks French well enough to be acceptable for a French movie director.

After Sofia Coppola's Hollywood version of Marie Antoinette I'm a tad skeptical ;)

The trailer seems nice actually. But it seems that the amount of dialogue spoken by Louis XV / Depp will be rather limited. Though he can carry a scene by raising just an eyebrow of course. Something to look forward to.

Firebrand new movie on Katherine Parr

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15000156/

This upcoming film will focus on Katherine Parr, the sixth and final wife of Henry VIII.
There's no release date as yet just expected in 2023!

The Cast

Alicia Vikander as Katherine Parr
Jude Law as Henry VIII
Sam Riley as Thomas Seymour
Eddie Marsan as Edward Seymour
Simon Russell Beale as Bishop Stephen Gardiner
Erin Doherty as Anne Askew
Patsy Ferran as the Lady Mary
Junia Rees Lady Elizabeth

A clip from Firebrand which had its Premier at the 76th Cannes Film Festival on the 21st of May.

2 new clips released from Jeanne du Barry

The King and Conqueror

Upcoming BBC/CBS Studios Series

BBC/CBS Studios announced a new eight-part historical drama series The King and Conqueror
The series will be broadcast by the BBC in the UK and CBS outside the UK.

The series will focus on Harold of Wessex and William of Normandy,the Norman Invasion and the Battle of Hastings in 1066.
James Norton has been cast as Harold, Earl of Wessex and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as William, Duke of Normandy.

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2023/king-and-conqueror-james-norton-nikolaj-coster-waldau

This series sounds as if it could be very interesting, so long as not too many liberties are taken with the historical record. Better than yet another series about Henry VIII or his wives! I don’t think the BBC has really concentrated at all on the life of Harold or William the Conquerer or one of the most important battles of English history, Hastings. Not in recent years anyway. I look forward to it.

Yes so far I'm excited by this project and James Norton is an excellent casting.

Hmm, it'll be interesting to see Nikolai Coster Waldau sporting a Norman hairstyle. :D

The rest of the cast will be interesting :

Mathilde de Flandres wife of William
Adelaide of Normandy sister of William
Edith of Mercia ,Harolds Wife
Godwin, son of Harold Godwinson
Gyrth Godwinson , son of Harold Godwinson
Leofwine Godwinson ,brother of Harold
Eustace II ,Count of Boulogne

Will the battle of Stamford Bridge be featured? It was after all instrumental in the defeat of King Harald at Hastings. (Quite a remarkable feat actually! Being able to march up and down England at such a speed and still be able to fight. The Battle at Hastings was only just won by the Normans.)

The invasion sure was a well executed affair and a logistical masterpiece. And just as in 1944 so much could have gone wrong - and almost did.

I hope they don't leave out the Battle of Stamford Bridge!

In 2014 I visited the church of Notre-Dame de Dives-Sur-Merent in Dives-sur-Mer, Calvados in Normandy
There's a memorial in the church with the names the companions who set sail with William to England in 1066.
The church was a place of pilgrimage and it was said that William went to Mass there before he set sail .
The church was sadly ransacked and pillaged by the Huguenots in 1562 and the niches which once had statues were all empty having been obliterated by the Huguenot fury.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe.../940px-Liste_compagnons_de_Guillaume_2009.jpg

Mary & George (2024)

A new 7 part series produced by Sky and set for release in early 2024!
Its set at the Stuart Court of James I and focuses on the palace intrigues of Mary Villiers, Countess of Buckingham and her son ,George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham.

Filming started in early 2023 on location in Kent and in Richmond.
The cast includes :
Julianne Moore as Mary Villiers, Countess of Buckingham
Nicholas Galitzine as George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham
Tony Curran as James VI/ I
Laurie Davidson as Robert Carr, 1st Earl of Somerset
Trine Dyrholm as Queen Anne

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26246248/

The reign of James I has been somewhat ignored by makers of movies and TV films in the past, unlike that of Mary Queen of Scots. So hopefully this series should be quite interesting and entertaining. I’m so glad really that the Tudor period has been left alone, at least for a while, and the Stuarts are coming into focus. The rise of the first Duke of Buckingham is a fascinating story and I will certainly watch this.

The reign of James I has been somewhat ignored by makers of movies and TV films in the past, unlike that of Mary Queen of Scots. So hopefully this series should be quite interesting and entertaining. I’m so glad really that the Tudor period has been left alone, at least for a while, and the Stuarts are coming into focus. The rise of the first Duke of Buckingham is a fascinating story and I will certainly watch this.

Looking forward to this series!

The actress who plays Queen Anne is also Danish and played Margaret I of Denmark /Margrete den Første in the 2021 movie Margrete: Queen of the North.

What a part, hope the script really gives Tryne something to work with. And an excellent idea to cast a Danish actress.

Last edited:
Update
Mary & George (2024) was released today the 5th of March 2024 in the UK/Ireland and April 5th in the USA

The first episode's on Sky Atlantic at 9pm. I shall give it a go!

Back
Top Bottom