The Duke and Duchess of Sussex with Oprah I - Pre-interview, Feb-March 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oprah with Meghan and Harry

As many have suspected would happen in due course, CBS has just confirmed that Oprah has done a sit-down interview with Meghan and Harry about many topics, including their life in the Royal Family.

According to the press release, this is mainly a conversation with Meghan and Oprah, with the two then "joined" by Harry.

As many have suspected would happen in due course, CBS has just confirmed that Oprah has done a sit-down interview with Meghan and Harry about many topics, including their life in the Royal Family.

According to the press release, this is mainly a conversation with Meghan and Oprah, with the two then "joined" by Harry.

Can't wait for the juicey gossip, they will have been paid handsomely for this so Oprah will want her pound of flesh.

I think this has more to do with the timing of the launch of Archewell. I will of course be watching to see what each of the Sussexes have to say.

However, I do not believe that the couple will be dishing the dirt on the senior royals, though Meghan's experiences with Royal staff at KP and BP, the recent long running court case and the relationship of both with the British media may well be discussed, especially Meghan's treatment by the tabloids when she was in Britain. I hope so, at least.

Those viewers hoping for some dirt thrown at Harry's father, grandmother, brother and sister in law will be disappointed I think.

Last edited:
I quite agree Curryong. I don't expect to hear any "dirt" thrown, or in fact any sideways words, about any member of The Royal Family, or Meghan's family.

The topics to be discussed mentioned in the press release do make me think the interview will be quit more wide-ranging than the launch of Archewell. The interview was billed as "wide-ranging" and the topics to include "life as a Royal, marriage, public pressure" as well as "philanthropic work." This is all billed as an exclusive conversation with Meghan before Harry joins. But I agree that the timing may have to do with the launch of the foundation.

The most I would expect would be for the "lack of support" Meghan has said she felt- in general- to perhaps be mentioned. She has made no secret of this in the past and there is no reason to think it would not be mentioned in her discussion of life in the royal family.

Oprah will do a soft ball interview with them. There will be nothing bad about the royals or even likely the Markles. You know that the questions are vetted and it will be very friendly towards the Sussexes as they begin their post working royal lives.

I am still looking forward to seeing them speak more about Archewell.

What do they want? They want privacy, right? Why choose an interview with Oprah Winfrey, for goodness sake....
If you do not want bad press, just live a quiet life and shut up..I find this so irritating.
Anyway I think it is better not to read anymore about this couple...:D
leave it to people who like reading about them

Wanting people to respect their privacy doesn't mean they live their life as a hermit. It is about consent and everyone on this planet is entitled to it. They are public figures and they understand people will be interested in aspects of their life. They have causes they want to promote and that also requires being out in public. But that doesn't mean people have the right to know every detail of their life or their children's.

I look forward to seeing that!

LaRae

Another big mistake for the Duchess. I hope she doesn't get burned in the process.

CBS have now announced ‘Oprah with Meghan and Harry: A CBS Primetime Special’.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuSIb6-XcAQdgqN?format=jpg&name=large

Well, this, like the SA interview, is gonna be a disaster in the long run. Royal interviews that, as this likely would, include a whining fest, rarely go well with people, and given the pandemic people have even less patience for over privileged people whining. I mean social media went after Catherine for simply saying she found the last year exhausting- and that wasn’t even an interview but a zoom call with other parents.

Anyway even Diana’s Panorama interview didn’t quite stand the test of time (the issue with bashir not withstanding).

That being said: is anyone really shocked by this and that they chose Oprah?
I hope she asks the hard questions, like Harry’a raciat past, and maybe about their involvement with the Sussex Squad and why they don’t publicly condemn their abuaive behavior!

Last edited:
Although this is a scheduled program that I probably will not watch, I can see the value in it. With Archewell starting up, it needs to get it's message out there and Oprah and CBS is a wonderful medium to do this. Archewell is going to be Harry and Meghan's professional life for the most part and in order to be a success, the public needs to be informed about what it is and what it does. I see this as being the primary goal of the interview. I don't see it being, in any way, a "tell all" tabloid type as I don't think CBS prime time would go for something like that at all.

Harry and Meghan, I believe, are astute enough to know that a positive slant on things all the way around concerning their lives, their family and their hopes for their professional endeavors will strike a chord with people far better than airing negative complaints and feelings. Tabloids may thrive on feuds and negativity but those that are honestly interested in the future of the Sussex family want to hear the good and positive things going into the future and not a rehash of what went before.

I think the interview will be very well done.

If you could have less than zero interest in something, that would be me with this. I’ll only care if they betray Harry’s family by revealing private matters and whine about them

I don't think the BRF is going to be dragged in this interview nor her family. It's timed for 90 minutes. [.....] This will get worldwide coverage so it will be a feather in Oprah's cap, not that she really needs it. And it is to air 5 days after the ruling for the settlement for Letter-gate March 7. Settlement date is March 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes I despair of members of this royal family.

Some of them are so unworthy of their position. Petulant, impertinent & ungrateful. And worse of all disloyal.

I had a feeling that one would take place in March 2021 and I'm not at all surprised that they'll be interviewed by Oprah.

If you could have less than zero interest in something, that would be me with this. I’ll only care if they betray Harry’s family by revealing private matters and whine about them

I feel the same.
At one point I was neutral about this couple, but now I just find them hypocritical and increasingly irritating.

(Of course I expect people will watch to see if they say anything negative about the RF).

Roya Nikkhah and Rebecca English has tweeted out some royal sources suggesting that since Harry & Meghan are no longer working royals, they are not obliged to inform the Royal Family or Palace staffs.
Roya Nikkhah @RoyaNikkhah
Buckingham Palace won’t officially comment on Harry and Meghan’s @Oprah interview but royal sources say as they’re no longer working members of the royal family, any decisions they take regarding media commitments are for them, with no obligations to inform the royal household
5:19 AM · Feb 16, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

To which Dickie Arbiter replied:
Dickie Arbiter ?? @RoyalDickie
Replying to @RoyaNikkhah and @Oprah
Pretty obvious that response from BP. They did make very clear last year once #HarryandMeghan had opted out they, the Palace, would no longer speak on their behalf - so staying stum about the forthcoming @Oprah interview shouldn't cone as a surprise
5:29 AM · Feb 16, 2021·Twitter for Android​

Tweet by Rebecca English (with similar content as Roya Nikkha):
Here is Chris Ship and ITV's take on the Oprah interview, hence written in first person

Exclusive: Harry and Meghan agree to Oprah Winfrey interview which could lift lid on departure from Royal Family
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-02-15...on-her-and-harrys-departure-from-royal-family

Dickie Arbiter's take on the Oprah interview:
So #HarryandMeghan are to give a tell all interview with @Oprah on prime time TV. Tell all? I doubt it. They're likely to talk about what they want to achieve with their @ArchwellF, settling in the US and raising a family, and perhaps about their work and contacts in the UK
7:02 AM · Feb 16, 2021·Twitter for Android​

Camilla Tominey, however appear to be less optimistic on the implication of Oprah's interview judging by the headline of The Telegraph article.

If he follows his wife's pursuit of Stateside glory, Prince Harry risks losing his way
Having always had an eye on the prize of American adulation, Meghan appears to have little intention of returning to the UK
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...me/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_iosshare_Aws1Ct6NWFQC

She has also tweeted out and attached this article
Camilla Tominey @CamillaTominey
Why this ill-advised #Oprah outing is the #Meghan show, with a side order of #Harry #royals
7:17 AM · Feb 16, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

Edited: I have added the link to The Telegraph article and Camilla Tominey's tweet

Last edited:

My interest in the couple has severely waned since they moved over to the private sector and are no longer part of the "Firm" and the British monarchy. I just don't have an interest in celebrity philanthropy as a whole. It's been over a year now since they've made the decision to strike out on their own and I wish them well with it but with "royal watching" as a hobby of mine, they just don't fit that criteria for me any longer.

Can't wait for the juicey gossip, they will have been paid handsomely for this so Oprah will want her pound of flesh.

You might want to reword this; a ‘pound of flesh’ is an inaccurate and unpleasant phrase to apply to this situation.

Didn't Sarah also do one in the past? And watching its clip on youtube, I think that interview in a way can be labelled as "telling about her life in the Royal Family" too.

So basically, the Sussexes are more or less true to their word: just like what they stated on their last January announcement, they're just doing what other royals (or former one) has done in the past.

:previous: Sarah, Duchess of York was interviewed by Oprah Winfrey in 1996 on Oprah's television show.

Didn't Sarah also do one in the past? And watching its clip on youtube, I think that interview in a way can be labelled as "telling about her life in the Royal Family" too.

So basically, the Sussexes are more or less true to their word: just like what they stated on their last January announcement, they're just doing what other royals (or former one) has done in the past.

Sarah Ferguson did an interview with Australia's 60 minutes in 2013 called "Seeing Red". It was apparently her first Australian interview in eight years. I watched this video several years ago. The only thing that I vividly remembered was that she was proud of Beatrice and Eugenie. Sarah also spoke positively about The Queen

Last edited:

You might want to reword this; a ‘pound of flesh’ is an inaccurate and unpleasant phrase to apply to this situation.

No I don't want to reword it. Oprah Winfrey will have paid them a great deal of money for this interview and she will want a big scoop in return which is only fair and I am sure that H and M will understand that. Is it tacky? Very much so but this is the World they have chosen to inhabit, I hope it makes them happy.

Last edited:
No I don't want to reword it. Oprah Winfrey will have paid them a great deal of money for this interview and she will want a big scoop in return which is only fair and I am sure that H and M will understand that. Is it tacky? Very much so but this is the World they have chosen to inhabit, I hope it makes them happy.

I dont think she'll want a scoop, she's not a journalist. but the 3 of them have an interest in garnering publicity - one hand washes the other....

One thing to remember too is that is is being broadcast during prime time on CBS and most likely the network will have vetted the content beforehand. Both Oprah and Harry and Meghan will be vetted for the content they're going to air to assure that it fits in with what CBS deems as acceptable prime time TV viewing for all audiences.

Thinking along these lines, I think those that will tune into this interview hoping for "tell all" and scandalous breaking news are going to be sorely disappointed. Perhaps if the interview would have aired on Oprah's OWN channel, it would be completely different and Oprah would have more leeway but it isn't. It's CBS floating the bill for this interview and paying both Oprah and Harry and Meghan. ?

I feel the same.
At one point I was neutral about this couple, but now I just find them hypocritical and increasingly irritating.

(Of course I expect people will watch to see if they say anything negative about the RF).

I used to love them. I still want to love Harry, but...sometimes it’s hard. If they want to do this, ok - I’m not upset (I’m too busy being engaged with what’s going on in my own country)....YET. Hopefully they just leave the BRF out of it.

Roya Nikkhah and Rebecca English has tweeted out some royal sources suggesting that since Harry & Meghan are no longer working royals, they are not obliged to inform the Royal Family or Palace staffs.
Roya Nikkhah @RoyaNikkhah
Buckingham Palace won’t officially comment on Harry and Meghan’s @Oprah interview but royal sources say as they’re no longer working members of the royal family, any decisions they take regarding media commitments are for them, with no obligations to inform the royal household
5:19 AM · Feb 16, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

To which Dickie Arbiter replied:
Replying to @RoyaNikkhah and @Oprah
Pretty obvious that response from BP. They did make very clear last year once #HarryandMeghan had opted out they, the Palace, would no longer speak on their behalf - so staying stum about the forthcoming @Oprah interview shouldn't cone as a surprise
5:29 AM · Feb 16, 2021·Twitter for Android​

Tweet by Rebecca English (with similar content as Roya Nikkha):
Here is Chris Ship and ITV's take on the Oprah interview, hence written in first person

Exclusive: Harry and Meghan agree to Oprah Winfrey interview which could lift lid on departure from Royal Family
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-02-15...on-her-and-harrys-departure-from-royal-family

Dickie Arbiter's take on the Oprah interview:
So #HarryandMeghan are to give a tell all interview with @Oprah on prime time TV. Tell all? I doubt it. They're likely to talk about what they want to achieve with their @ArchwellF, settling in the US and raising a family, and perhaps about their work and contacts in the UK
7:02 AM · Feb 16, 2021·Twitter for Android​

Camilla Tominey, however appear to be less optimistic on the implication of Oprah's interview judging by the headline of The Telegraph article.

If he follows his wife's pursuit of Stateside glory, Prince Harry risks losing his way
Having always had an eye on the prize of American adulation, Meghan appears to have little intention of returning to the UK
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...me/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_iosshare_Aws1Ct6NWFQC

She has also tweeted out and attached this article
Camilla Tominey @CamillaTominey
Why this ill-advised #Oprah outing is the #Meghan show, with a side order of #Harry #royals
7:17 AM · Feb 16, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

Edited: I have added the link to The Telegraph article and Camilla Tominey's tweet

I agree with Camilla. Harry will probably be ok, but yeah - now I think that Meghan will very likely whine about his badly she was treated. Bah. As to her speaking about her time in the BRF, she split about as soon as it was possible...but I’m sure she’ll be counting on her American fans for sympathy.

Oh and this? ????

With the tree of life behind them and the garden representing fertility, life and moving forward, they didn’t need any direction, because they are, and always have been, waltzing through life together as absolute soulmates," said photographer Misan Harriman on Monday in a press release that left most people this side of the Atlantic reaching for the nearest sick bucket.

One thing to remember too is that is is being broadcast during prime time on CBS and most likely the network will have vetted the content beforehand. Both Oprah and Harry and Meghan will be vetted for the content they're going to air to assure that it fits in with what CBS deems as acceptable prime time TV viewing for all audiences. :

Those days are long gone. CBS wants ratings. They couldn't care less what Oprah, Harry, or Meghan say, as long as it generates attention and viewers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom