Netflix Docu-Series of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (2022)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
The docu-series that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have made with the US streaming platform Netflix will be released on December 8th [to be confirmed].

The title has not been announced yet. We will include it in the title of this thread once it is known.

Article from the International Business Times, here.

Last edited:
Are we even sure this is coming on December 8th? It's still not listed in any of Netflix's "coming in December" release dates, there is no trailer and no official press release from Netflix. And as you say, not even a name.

It seems strange that such a potentially big and controversial series doesn't even have a trailer a week out from its alleged release.

Perhaps we are looking at another case where the Sussexes release news or a statement hoping to persuade the other party into doing what they want ala January 2020.

I'm not saying that is the case, for all I know they'll drop a trailer tonight or even drop it sight unseen December the 8th or around that time but they don't usually hide high profile or controversial projects. Quite the opposite.

Still whenever it eventually appears it will be interesting to see if they did make edits post the death of HM.

My local morning show just announced the show is coming on December 8th. That doesn't mean the date is right, but the 'news' is obviously now circulating through mainstream press.

If it is coming on the 8th, the lack of a trailer is strange. Has Netflix washed its hands of the series, or are they so sure of its success, they don't want to share anything in advance?

Time will answer all of our questions ?

My local morning show just announced the show is coming on December 8th. That doesn't mean the date is right, but the 'news' is obviously now circulating through mainstream press.

If it is coming on the 8th, the lack of a trailer is strange. Has Netflix washed its hands of the series, or are they so sure of its success, they don't want to share anything in advance?

Oh yes, it's everywhere and I'm not saying that it won't happen on the 8th, far from it, but it's strange that it's in many mainstream places *except* Netflix, which hasn't even officially acknowledged that there is any such thing as a Sussex reality show/docu-series. A lot of the articles seem to acknowledge vague "industry insiders" or even just the Page Six report with no new info.

Yes, time will tell and it will surely drop at some point. I'm sure it will prove worthy of discussion. ;)

Great, if released on 8th Dec it will be forgotten about by Christmas Day and we can all move on.

The fact that Netflix has neither confirmed nor denied the date makes me wonder if it's definitely about to be released, but they don't want to give the date too far in advance, because they know the date is controversial e.g. this coming Friday, when William and Kate are due to host the Earthshot prize in Boston.

I try to steer away from tinfoil hat thinking, but in this case, I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

I wouldn’t be surprised at the lack of trailers. Netflix often don’t. I mean it was always set to come in a December…so we heard.

It sure seems odd to me that Netflix hasn’t even bothered to confirm a release date if it is indeed coming out. Indeed: are they over the series- or that sure of success?

Meghan has already pointedly distanced herself and Harry from this project. If it comes out, it’ll be interesting if we can tell why she did.

The fact that they are not doing the usual trailers, announcements etc are now making the programme a talking point. They do not need to pay for publicity the public and media are doing it for them.

Netflix says Harry & Meghan will see the Duke and Duchess of Sussex “share the other side of their high-profile love story.”, adding: “Across six episodes, the series explores the clandestine days of their early courtship and the challenges that led to them feeling forced to step back from their full-time roles in the institution.”

https://deadline.com/video/harry-and-meghan-netflix-first-look-at-doc-series/

Netflix says Harry & Meghan will see the Duke and Duchess of Sussex “share the other side of their high-profile love story.”, adding: “Across six episodes, the series explores the clandestine days of their early courtship and the challenges that led to them feeling forced to step back from their full-time roles in the institution.”

https://deadline.com/video/harry-and-meghan-netflix-first-look-at-doc-series/

I am curious to know how the documentary will argue that they were "forced to step back". Maybe it is not intentional, but "forced" implies to me that they had to do something against their will.

I am curious to know how the documentary will argue that they were "forced to step back". Maybe it is not intentional, but "forced" implies to me that they had to do something against their will.

I am curious about that use of the word "forced" as I was under the impression from the Sussexes' own words from their January 2020 statement that the decision to step back from royal duties was their choice.

Pathetic.
Of course now they have to deliver on all the dirt, 'their side of the story', being assured that the RF will not hit back.
I do hope that the story has then been told to death and the interest will fade.
What actors they both are.

Just saw the Trailer clip of the Harry and Megan Documentary, coincidentally released on the first full day of William and Kate's Boston Visit.
Have to say the pretension level in the video is off the charts. Harry saying he had to "protect" his family and apparently a snap of Meghan curled up weeping. Was she re-enacting a previous experience ?
Meghan actually says this " When the STAKES ARE SO HIGH, doesn't it make more sense to hear our story from us ? "

What stakes ? How important do you two think you are ? And why ?

You were the then grandson and wife of Great Britain's Queen not an heir. But a very, very popular Prince who after OR before marriage The Sussex's decided they wanted to combine Senior Royal Working Duties with the ability to Work privately on commercial ventures. Without oversight.
You were told that was not an option and given a WHOLE year to mull it over to decide how you wanted to proceed. You decided to quit and go commercial.
And public.
Speaking non stop about being Victims of the Royal Family by being supposedly marginalized and ignored. With Meghan claiming she was suicidal while pregnant with Archie.
With the damning Racism angle thrown in to really muddy the water. But you both refuse to explain the comment in detail or context about Archie and his skin tone. And to complicate matters further, Harry says it was one conversation before they married, while Meghan insists it was several conversations while She was pregnant.
IF the Family was so unfeeling and the institution so toxic why did you want to be even part time working members ? Will that be addressed next week.

I'm literally disgusted by this. Before I was just disappointed and loved reading the different opinions and commentary on "Megxit".
Now I truly believe The Sussex's and their supporters DO want to bring down The Royal Family. Totally demeaned as damned and as out of touch. Not a purpose in todays world. Toxic and irrelevant.
Never thought I'd have believed it, but events of the last 48 hours increasingly make me believe that.

And the STAKES, are setting Meghan and Harry themselves up as Global Superstars. Political, social and cultural from their 'Court' in Montecito.

Last edited:
https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/harry-meghan-documentary

At its core, their relationship looks like many others: They met, had a whirlwind romance, fell in love, got married, had children, and built a life based on shared values and mutual support of each other’s work and ambitions. But the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are no ordinary couple. Theirs is one of the most high-profile love stories in history, and even the most plugged-in fans and followers of their story have never heard it told like this before.

Harry & Meghan is an unprecedented six-part documentary series that explores the span of their relationship, from the early days of the couple’s courtship to the challenges and controversies that prompted them to step back from the royal family. The series includes interviews with family and friends who’ve never spoken publicly about the couple’s relationship before, as well as historians and journalists who dissect how media influenced Harry and Meghan’s relationship with the royal family and the Commonwealth at large.

Coming soon on Netflix, Harry & Meghan is directed by two-time Academy Award–nominated and Emmy-winning director Liz Garbus, with executive producers Erica Sashin, Mark Monroe, Dan Cogan, Ben Browning, Chanel Pysnik, Jon Bardin, Mala Chapple and Angus Wall.

Just saw the Trailer clip of the Harry and Megan Documentary, coincidentally released on the first full day of William and Kate's Boston Visit.
Have to say the pretension level in the video is off the charts. Harry saying he had to "protect" his family and apparently a snap of Meghan curled up weeping. Was she re-enacting a previous experience ?
Meghan actually says this " When the STAKES ARE SO HIGH, doesn't it make more sense to hear our story from us ".

What stakes ? How important do you two think you are ? And why ?

You were the then grandson and wife of Great Britain's Queen not an heir. But a very, very popular Prince who after OR before marriage The Sussex's decided they wanted to combine Senior Royal Working Duties with the ability to Work privately on commercial ventures. Without oversight.
You were told that was not an option and given a WHOLE year to mull it over to decide how you wanted to proceed. You decided to quit and go commercial.
And public.
Speaking non stop about being Victims of the Royal Family by being supposedly marginalized and ignored. With Meghan claiming she was suicidal while pregnant with Archie.
With the damning Racism angle thrown in to really muddy the water. But you both refuse to explain the comment in detail or context about Archie and his skin tone. And to complicate matters further, Harry says it was one conversation before they married, while Meghan insists it was several conversations while She was pregnant.
IF the Family was so unfeeling and the institution so toxic why did you want to be even part timeworking members ? Will that be addressed next week.

I'm literally disgusted by this. Before I was just disappointed and loved reading the different opinions and commentary on "Megxit".
Now I truly believe The Sussex's and their supporters DO want to bring down The Royal Family. Totally demeaned as damned and as out of touch. Not a purpose in todays world. Toxic and irrelevant.
Never thought I'd have believed it, but events of the last 48 hours increasingly make me believe that.

And the STAKES, are setting Meghan and Harry themselves up as Global Superstars. Political, social and cultural from their 'Court' in Montecito.

I totally agree with you!

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/harry-meghan-documentary

At its core, their relationship looks like many others: They met, had a whirlwind romance, fell in love, got married, had children, and built a life based on shared values and mutual support of each other’s work and ambitions. But the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are no ordinary couple. Theirs is one of the most high-profile love stories in history, and even the most plugged-in fans and followers of their story have never heard it told like this before.

Harry & Meghan is an unprecedented six-part documentary series that explores the span of their relationship, from the early days of the couple’s courtship to the challenges and controversies that prompted them to step back from the royal family. The series includes interviews with family and friends who’ve never spoken publicly about the couple’s relationship before, as well as historians and journalists who dissect how media influenced Harry and Meghan’s relationship with the royal family and the Commonwealth at large.

Coming soon on Netflix, Harry & Meghan is directed by two-time Academy Award–nominated and Emmy-winning director Liz Garbus, with executive producers Erica Sashin, Mark Monroe, Dan Cogan, Ben Browning, Chanel Pysnik, Jon Bardin, Mala Chapple and Angus Wall.

Based upon this description the series seems pretty tame. So why are the Sussexes trying to distance themselves from it?

Meghan's remarks from the Variety interview.

What can we expect from Liz Garbus’ docuseries on you and your husband?
It’s nice to be able to trust someone with our story — a seasoned director whose work I’ve long admired — even if it means it may not be the way we would have told it. But that’s not why we’re telling it. We’re trusting our story to someone else, and that means it will go through their lens.

Yikes....they really ARE full of themselves, downright delusional, if they actually believe that they "are no ordinary couple, theirs is one of the most high profile love stories IN HISTORY".
This Series and the Book will be very, very damaging to Harry's Family. Too elevate the Sussex Brand, they are seeking to diminish and neutralize The Windsor Family and The Monarchy.
I really feel for Charles, William, The institution of The Monarchy in the UK AND the extended Family. The Sussex's have declared War on them.

Last edited:
I wonder if Harry thinks his Aunt Anne, Uncle Edward and Uncle Andrew had some of the “highest profile love stories in history” because I bet the answer would be no.

I also bet he wouldn’t understand that he’s really no different to them in the grand scheme of things.

Dropping the trailer to coincide with Will and Kate's US visit just screams "Look at us!!! Look at us!!!"

I wanted to have sympathy for Harry, but this is just getting old.

For all their talk about privacy, they have been releasing more and more private photographs of themselves. And I'm also not surprised the trailer of the documentary is being released now, Harry & Meghan has always been consistent with releasing stuff whenever other royals are doing something big.

Lets wait and see what is actually in the series. I dont imagine that they are going to admit that they lied and say why the households really split - but there is a reason they are distancing themselves from this.

I expect the royal expert is Omid Scobie. I wonder if they actually did more then Oprah in research and partiality - but I am not placing any beats.

I am just so tied of all this. I don't care who said what, who made who cry - I just want it to end.

6 episodes of them whining on! How many more times do we have to hear ‘their’ truth? Sometimes, I think they’ll keep going until they provoke the family to respond. Guessing they won’t be in the UK for a family Christmas!

OMG, Iceflower, you took away one minute and 13 seconds of my life I'll never get back. :lol:

Kidding aside and before I log out for the day, my reaction to the video and as I say, I'll call it as I see it: :neutral:

The pictures - Meghan is first on most of the frames to have her image be a selling point. Did you guys noticed how shady it was on the picture showing Princess Catherine face looking mad? And within a series of frames of Meghan looking sad, lonely, depressed etc. That's good subliminal message marketing. Congrats to the shady editor. They really made a point to present good and frail Meghan vs cold and distant Catherine, who herself was a daily target of the very same tabloids attacking Meghan.

The series is to help the career of Rory Kennedy, who runs a film production company with Liz Garbus, the director for Harry and Meghan’s Netflix docuseries. Netflix, like HBO too, is shutting down series and deals because of the recent low ratings and financial losses. So, if you sell them a series to finance it better get attention and free press 'cause the Netflix river bank is running dry lately.

The numbers behind the Netflix deal aren't publicly known but The New York Times reported that Meghan and Harry they were seeking deals in the $100 million from competitors like NBC Universal and Apple TV.

Liz Garbus' business partner Rory Kennedy is the sister of Kerry Kennedy, president of the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights organization giving them on December 6th the Ripple of Hope Award. The event where you can give Kennedy up to $1 million to buy a “Pioneer” package to sit at the same table with Harry and Meghan at the gala.

The big question is not if the chicken came before the egg, but if the association with Netflix and Liz Garbus production company behind the series is also used by her sister, Kerry Kennedy's Ripple of Hope Award to get attention and free press. The event where if you have a million dollars to spare you can sit at a table and ask Harry to pass on the salt. :ermm:

Last edited:
6 episodes of them whining on! How many more times do we have to hear ‘their’ truth? Sometimes, I think they’ll keep going until they provoke the family to respond. Guessing they won’t be in the UK for a family Christmas!

Hopefully the Royal Family will refuse to play ball. I think “recollections may vary” is a response for the ages. Any further engagement just gives Harry and Meghan what they want.

Despite some hand wringing from the media the RF has the upper hand in their dealings with the Sussexes. They can play the long game, they don’t need to chase popularity or money, history has shown that good will from the population of the UK ebbs and flows but the level of support for the monarchy remains solid. All they need to do is carry on.

Unfortunately if Harry continues to participate in these sorts of projects they may need to limit contact with him and his family even further, which would be very sad on a personal level.

... The event where if you have a million dollars to spare to can sit at a table and ask Harry to pass on the salt. :ermm:

a million dollars and i'm not even getting my own salt shaker? That's it, i'm not going... :lol:

In the days before the Oprah interview, when the dramatic trailer dropped, I was on here chiding my fellow members who said they could not believe Meghan and Harry were actually doing a TV interview about such intimate, personal, and private moments. I reminded them that the point of a trailer is to stir up drama, and that the few seconds of talk about family relationships was surely all we were going to see, and that we should expect the other hour, fifty eight minutes and thirty seconds to focus on the couple’s work.

Seemingly unable to learn my lesson, I’ve (silently) been thinking the same thing about this Netflix project. Despite my feelings about the couple, I didn’t believe this documentary existed at all until Meghan confirmed it in recent weeks. Until today, I didn’t believe for a moment that the couple would make an actual documentary about themselves, as opposed to their work.

Why I have such high hopes for them I’ll never know.

Hopefully the Royal Family will refuse to play ball. I think “recollections may vary” is a response for the ages. Any further engagement just gives Harry and Meghan what they want.

Despite some hand wringing from the media the RF has the upper hand in their dealings with the Sussexes. They can play the long game, they don’t need to chase popularity or money, history has shown that good will from the population of the UK ebbs and flows but the level of support for the monarchy remains solid. All they need to do is carry on.

Unfortunately if Harry continues to participate in these sorts of projects they may need to limit contact with him and his family even further, which would be very sad on a personal level.

You forget we have a new fox in the hen house. Charles and William are very much Twitter royals. The Sussex's want an open war and they might get it. They have been smacking the bear for a while now and with the Queen gone - they might get exactly what they want. A battle of public opinion which they are very sure, they will win. It has been noted that the concept of No comment from the palace might have come to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom