Netflix Docu-Series of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (2022)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that there is a seeming admission of what many of Meghan’s supporters staunchly deny: Meghan was massively supported by the media and public at the beginning.

Which is why I don't know how to react to the reports that the couple want to concentrate on rebuilding bridges and reconciliation once this show and the book are done.

Are they really that clueless about how people feel? Do they honestly think, they can release this show, wait a few weeks, then phone all their relatives in the UK, and say 'hey, now that's done, can we start talking and being besties again?'

The audacity and lack of awareness is astonishing.
I agree totally, especially after they had certainly be named in ER's heritage.

Now it's the former staff's turn to speak up.

Palace must reject Harry and Meghan ‘lies’, says former aide

Archive

So the Sussexes claim that there's an agenda, "war" against Meghan. But the way things play out, it seems like it's the Sussexes who purposely wedge a war against everyone, they're making enemy one after another.

This would be an excellent idea. Get it all out in the public sphere. Enough of the nonsense. As Wellington may have said "publish & be damned".

This would be an excellent idea. Get it all out in the public sphere. Enough of the nonsense. As Wellington may have said "publish & be damned".

There’s a line that Harry and Meghan could cross that would force the Royal Family to respond more assertively than they have in the past, on behalf of family members and staff alike, but the problem - if that’s the word for it - is that Harry and Meghan have been smart or lucky enough to stay just on the right side of that line. They’ve made so many accusations that sound dramatic but don’t contain anything of substance. If they included details the accusations would be easy to fight because they’d be talking about individuals who could then defend themselves (and we’ve seen what happens when Harry and Meghan’s truth runs up against any sort of fact).

It’s harder to fight the sort of inflammatory statements they’ve made so far because they’re vague enough that attempting make any sort of detailed rebuttal just adds to the controversy and gives the Sussexes free publicity. I think Netflix, certainly, and probably Meghan and Harry would love to goad the BRF into some sort of adversarial response.

Live updates? Seriously? Is the media so desperate to dedicate live updates to a Netflix docu-series? Wow. Just wow. I'm kind of speechless....

They're waiting for bombshells about the Royal Family so it's bound to be high profile news here, even in serious newspapers. The Guardian tends to be pro-republic so that would suit their agenda.

They're waiting for bombshells about the Royal Family so it's bound to be high profile news here, even in serious newspapers. The Guardian tends to be pro-republic so that would suit their agenda.

So far no bombshell. Same old, same old, and it sounds very fake at times. I haven't finshed the 3 episodes yet and I am already bored.

I am enjoying the Guardian report TBH. Not everybody has the time or the appetite to see the documentary so that way we can get an idea what is going on.

An interesting comment from the Duchess about her engagement: "Orchestrated reality show. It was rehearsed" considering where she says it.

Apparently the DM has a live report as well. A headline talks about unseen photos of their dogs, which I suppose must mean that the bombshells that were expected did not arrive in this part of the documentary (yet). From the Guardian report I gather that - if anything- the couple mostly rehashed & put more nuance and context to the claims in the Oprah-interview.

To me it seems that they perhaps are trying to rebrand their public persona. From the bitterness in the Oprah interview to something less negative. All considering that would be a good thing. If this is all the palace must breathe a sigh of relief.

Last edited:
I've watched the episodes and haven't read any media reports or headlines.

I will say it's always struck me as amusing that since Harry and Meghan have started "telling their truth," they often prove right the viewpoint of those who are accused of not believing them or piling criticism on them.

For example, we've just learned that Harry and Meghan did not meet on a blind date and she did not only ask a friend "is he kind" before meeting him. :whistling: I have read many people say that their distrust of this couple and general negative view of them began at the moment Meghan told that story, because to them it seemed so obviously fabricated (particularly the "is he kind") part.

I totally understand not wanting to reveal the "whole/ true" story-- that is there private story to keep for themselves. But there was no need to frame it in a false light. It is proving right those who called these things out years ago.

Just read this quote by Harry. So, it seems they framing it as their war against the media? Not sure why that would be a 'duty or service' required from a member of the British royal family...

"This is about duty and service, and I feel as though, being part of this family, it is my duty to uncover this exploitation and bribery that happens within our media.”

And Meghan had no clue that she couldn't take up being an activist for any controversial issues? Another confirmation that she was not doing any due diligence in learning what she was taking on.

Meghan is explaining that she hadn’t realised that the royal family tended to steer away from any causes that might be construed to be controversial.

I’m in Melbourne Aus, and I’ve just finished watching the whole three episodes that have dropped. There is absolutely nothing there to get angry or annoyed or agitated about. Some rather sweet asides about their romance. A few shots at Papps and biased media reports about Meghan’s background, and some insights into Meghan’s relationship with her half sister and father, up to the wedding. Some talk by Harry about Diana and how the media were always intrusive wherever they went as mother and sons.

Her niece Ashleigh Hale (Samantha’s daughter) appeared on camera, and spoke about her loving relationship with Meg. Some photos of the dogs, and a little on their family life now. Quite benign really. An overview of the British Empire and the history of slavery within it will probably be picked up by the British tabloids though and the you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours deal between the RF and Royal Correspondents that they’ll probably not like very much.

I will say it's always struck me as amusing that since Harry and Meghan have started "telling their truth," they often prove right the viewpoint of those who are accused of not believing them or piling criticism on them.

For example, we've just learned that Harry and Meghan did not meet on a blind date and she did not only ask a friend "is he kind" before meeting him. :whistling: I have read many people say that their distrust of this couple and general negative view of them began at the moment Meghan told that story, because to them it seemed so obviously fabricated (particularly the "is he kind") part.

I totally understand not wanting to reveal the "whole/ true" story-- that is there private story to keep for themselves. But there was no need to frame it in a false light. It is proving right those who called these things out years ago.

Ive watched the episode as well. Harry stated that they ‘met’ through Istragram, and Meghan then says that a friend, who neither of them name, offered to set them up on a date. She showed the words that the friend used and it was practically a blind date. They met for an hour and talked and then Meghan asked Harry if he would like to have dinner the next night. The way it was explained looked as if it was a blind date that first time to me!

Last edited:
I’m in Melbourne Aus, and I’ve just finished watching the whole three episodes that have dropped. There is absolutely nothing there to get angry or annoyed or agitated about. Some rather sweet asides about their romance. A few shots at Papps and biased media reports about Meghan’s background, and some insights into Meghan’s relationship with her half sister and father, up to the wedding. Some talk by Harry about Diana and how the media were always intrusive wherever they went as mother and sons.

Her niece Ashleigh Hale (Samantha’s daughter) appeared on camera, and spoke about her loving relationship with Meg. Some photos of the dogs, and a little on their family life now. Quite benign really. An overview of the British Empire and the history of slavery within it will probably be picked up by the British tabloids though and the you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours deal between the RF and Royal Correspondents that they’ll probably not like very much.

I've just finished watching it too and I agree with your assessment. It was all quite benign, but there was lots that I found very interesting nevertheless and I am looking forward to next week's episodes.

Ive watched the episode as well. Harry stated that they ‘met’ through Istragram, and Meghan then says that a friend, who neither of them name, offered to set them up on a date. She showed the words that the friend used and it was practically a blind date. They met for an hour and talked and then she asked Harry if he would like to have dinner the next night. The way it was explained looked as if it was a blind date that first time to me!

I see it that way, too.

Last edited:

I also recall Meghan saying that she didn't know anything about Harry and that everything she learned about him was directly through him. But now we learn that she "did her homework" and scoured his Instagram feed.

Certainly everyone will see it differently. For those who haven’t had the opportunity to watch, Harry spotted Meghan on a friend’s social media and asked him to set them up on a date. Meghan knew who she was going out with and wisely took the opportunity to learn about Harry through his own social media before they first met.

I would personally not call that a blind date, where one party requests to meet the other, and the other learns about him first. Other people will disagree, which is of course welcome.

One thing is for sure: that is intentionally NOT the picture they painted in their engagement interview. In fact, if I had posted yesterday that Meghan knew things about Harry through his social media before they met, I would have been set aflame because “they met on a blind date” and “she only asked if he was kind” because we “heard that from the couple themselves.” I think everyone can admit to that.

Regardless, I don’t think anyone cares how this couple met and whether anyone considers that setup to be a “blind date.” To me, the far bigger story is that people cottoned on from the beginning that something was off with the story they told- and, once again, those people were right.

All only my opinion. Reasonable minds will see differently.

i saw the live feed (also I'm disturbed that it was covered like a tennis match) and there is one thing that does concern me.
Security is not decided by the RF - you can ask the Queen for security you can ask the corgis and it makes no difference it comes down to RAVEC.

RAVEC uses their intel to determine the need for security and level of it. So, if there was an increased need of security for Meghan due to her race - they would have given it. This need would have been factored into their decision making. They would have looked at the threats and made the decision.
Harry gives the impression that they didn't need to look if there were threats - due to her race there was a security risk and that needed increased security. I can understand the anxiety and the concern, but actions need to be based on real evidence not assumptions and emotions.
For example - would it have been right to assume that Obama should have received a great security detail than any of the other presidents because he is black rather than looking at the need and changing situation constantly? There is no doubt in my mind that he received threats based on his color as well. These decisions are made based on so many factors and are constantly reviewed. It is concerning that Harry doesnt trust them and gives the impression that it was his family's decision.

I've only had the time to watch the first 10 minutes of the first episode. It's just alot of black and white photography, cinematic-type of photo shoots/video ... all artfully placed. Sorry ... but, so far their words are just totally self-indulgent. I've read other posts and so far no bombshell other than their usual grousing about the media. I guess the meat is in the second set of episodes.

People in England were jailed in several court cases for threats against Harry and Archie. Harry was called by men who had a racist website ‘a race traitor’. I myself read threats made against Meghan on some anti-Sussex sites on Twitter only months ago.
And a recently retire Met Police chief stated that threats against the Sussexes were real and very concerning.

https://www.insider.com/threats-against-meghan-markle-disgusting-and-very-real-uk-officer-2022-11

So maybe RAVEC should have taken it more seriously.

I just finished the first episode and I thought it was nice.

There certainly was nothing controversial or potentially damaging to the royal family shown.

I was surprised to see Princess Eugenie and her then boyfriend Jack were so close to the couple from day one. I guess it makes sense now given their visit to Montecito earlier this year.

I am enjoying the Guardian report TBH. Not everybody has the time or the appetite to see the documentary so that way we can get an idea what is going on.

An interesting comment from the Duchess about her engagement: "Orchestrated reality show. It was rehearsed" considering where she says it.

Apparently the DM has a live report as well. A headline talks about unseen photos of their dogs, which I suppose must mean that the bombshells that were expected did not arrive in this part of the documentary (yet). From the Guardian report I gather that - if anything- the couple mostly rehashed & put more nuance and context to the claims in the Oprah-interview.

To me it seems that they perhaps are trying to rebrand their public persona. From the bitterness in the Oprah interview to something less negative. All considering that would be a good thing. If this is all the palace must breathe a sigh of relief.

I just went through the entire article and I'm exhausted. I'll be watching the episodes one per day because listening to this two all at once will be irritating.

What I agree with the article:
The tabloids need scandalous news and Harry's own lifestyle provided it with no effort. Had this been Chelsy instead of Meghan it would have been the same.
Re racism - in the USA racism is now back and loud thanks to a certain ex-head of state that made offensive comments so often people became numb. It's a tragedy for others that are victims of it and a big business for others that use it to get rich quick, like the scandal with BLM non-profit. In that context Meghan became a lightning rod both in the UK and the USA.

Re Doria and family - I believe her on the disputes with her ex-husband's children. I remember reading about it when H&M relationship became public. Her ex-husband's mother said in an article her daughter used racist remarks when her dad married Doria.

Re Kate and William, if I recall they all lived together condo-style in the same complex, like a door away. When H&M moved out Will and Kate took over their apartment's area to expand their now family of five surroundings. I have the suspicion Kate witnessed a tantrum out of frustration with the staff and, if she confronted Meghan about it, we will never know. Since the docu-series is only allowing one victim to tell her story with no counter claims

Harry complains on Kate's formality. Can't he see she's no longer the party girl from years back? She's married to a future head of state and now with small kids trying to stay off the tabloids. While Harry was partying on a Nazi outfit or being photographed in a strip party. At what point he gets that Kate's seriousness means you tone down your act and act as an adult as you age? As I mentioned before, his lifestyle flooded and drowned Meghan's own life from the start.

The article also mentions the story is one sided, I'll check when I watch episode one today. But on that do remember is a TV product that needs to sell to justify the TV money given to the Sussex duo. They need to produce drama, an antagonist or more to them, a good story with plot holes to embellish for the sake of ratings.

Harry probably has the final say in decisions since their lives run on his titles. He now has turned his family into a live version of the heavily embellished Netflix series The Crown. Meghan is stringing along and doing deals on her own, but now I don't see her as the one driving this car on the right side of the road. I do see Harry using this tell all docu-drama to express years of built-in anger.

In a lab we can say Meghan is Harry's catalytic enzyme that accelerated the effects we discuss here. But the ingredients were all there and all I see is a man-child with a lot of anger lashing out at the world around him, and unfortunately dragging the people that seem to care the most for him down this path, too.

Last edited:
I haven't watched it, but I have watched video clips and read accounts in a couple of different Media outlets.

My first reaction is yawn. They sound like self obsessed teenagers, especially over using the word "like". So far the initial Meeting AND actual Proposal is AGAIN different from what they said initially.

Nice put down about the excitement many felt (I did !) around their Engagement Announcement as an " Orchestrated Reality Show". That is so dismissive, just like when She referred to their Wedding in The Oprah Interview as "a spectacle".

As expected the 'Diana Card' was used a lot too.
How much Harry believes Meghan is SO LIKE her. Good luck pushing that narrative Harry. Nobody else from Diana's Sisters to The Public is buying that.

Subtle "digs" at cold and formal Kate were unsurprising made. And of course the big deal about curtsying to the Queen, upon meeting her, Why ? She seems to love to bring that story up.....again.

Then comparing the luncheon at Royal Lodge to a antiquated banquet at Medieval Times, a Dinner Theater. That is downright bizarre and preposterous.
Royal Lodge isn't thousand year old Windsor Castles St George's Hall, where State Dinners are held, complete with surroundings of gorgeous medieval "finery" all around. IT is a thoroughly updated and luxurious modern Royal Home.
Why even go there with that.

I do find the commentary very interesting and thanks to all for different viewpoints. So far, and this early, I'm not seeing ANYTHING to change minds one way or another. But I do really wonder if The Sussex's think this Netflix Series is helpful to them? I don't, and I think they are over saturating the market and interest in them.

Last edited:
And Meghan had no clue that she couldn't take up being an activist for any controversial issues? Another confirmation that she was not doing any due diligence in learning what she was taking on.

That kind of amuses me. Meghan has literally told us she’s smart. Researching and asking questions about the family and job she’s getting would have been the smart thing to do. Particularly when you’re moving to another country and changing careers to do it.

It also reinforces the idea these 2 are more reactionary than thoughtful.

I haven't watched it, but I have watched video clips and read accounts in a couple of different Media outlets.

My first reaction is yawn. They sound like self obsessed teenagers, especially over using the word "like". So far the initial Meeting AND actual Proposal is AGAIN different from what they said initially.

Nice put down about the excitement many felt (I did !) around their Engagement Announcement as an " Orchestrated Reality Show". That is so dismissive, just like when She referred to their Wedding in The Oprah Interview as "a spectacle".

As expected the 'Diana Card' was used a lot too.
How much Harry believes Meghan is SO LIKE her. Good luck pushing that narrative Harry. Nobody else from Diana's Sisters to The Public is buying that.

Subtle "digs" at cold and formal Kate were unsurprising made. And of course the big deal about curtsying to the Queen, upon meeting her, Why ? She seems to love to bring that story up.....again.

Then comparing the luncheon at Royal Lodge to a antiquated banquet at Medieval Times, a Dinner Theater. That is downright bizarre and preposterous.
Royal Lodge isn't thousand year old Windsor Castles St George's Hall, where State Dinners are held, complete with surroundings of gorgeous medieval "finery" all around. IT is a thoroughly updated and luxurious modern Royal Home.
Why even go there with that.

I do find the commentary very interesting and thanks to all for different viewpoints. So far, and this early, I'm not seeing ANYTHING to change minds one way or another. But I do really wonder if The Sussex's think this Netflix Series is helpful to them? I don't and I think they are over saturating the market and interest in them.

By now, 9:00 AM in the east coast USA, the series is all over the news and Netflix is getting lots of free publicity. From this I won't be surprised at some point we get a reality show with cameras following them, showing disgust as they are followed by non-Netflix tabloid cameras. There's a lot of hypocrisy on this, but what I feel disgusted about is Harry dragging his family to become a reality show, too. And none can speak out on their behalf.

I just finished the first episode and I thought it was nice.

There certainly was nothing controversial or potentially damaging to the royal family shown.

I was surprised to see Princess Eugenie and her then boyfriend Jack were so close to the couple from day one. I guess it makes sense now given their visit to Montecito earlier this year.

Harry and Eugenie have been (known to be) close for many years; so, no surprise for me. And while sometimes the introduction of new partners might result in less closeness, it is good to see that didn't happen in this case.

Re Kate and William, if I recall they all lived together condo-style in the same complex, like a door away. When H&M moved out Will and Kate took over their apartment's area to expand their now family of five surroundings. I have the suspicion Kate witnessed a tantrum out of frustration with the staff and, if she confronted Meghan about it, we will never know. Since the docu-series is only allowing one victim to tell her story with no counter claims

What are you alluding to? William and Catherine had Nottingham Cottage at Kensington as their London based from 2011 until 2013, so BEFORE Harry (and Meghan). Harry moved in (from Clarence House) when they moved out - not the other way around.

And while in the same complex, it was not directly next to apartment A1.

What are you alluding to? William and Catherine had Nottingham Cottage at Kensington as their London based from 2011 until 2013, so BEFORE Harry (and Meghan). Harry moved in (from Clarence House) when they moved out - not the other way around.

And while in the same complex, it was not directly next to apartment A1.

Thanks for the clarification, I'm not clear on the layout but I recall reading about the expansion of their own apartments, but I found the article dated Nov 7th, 2011 that explains the relocation you mentioned.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification, I'm not clear on the layout but I recall reading about the expansion of their own apartments, but I found the article dated Nov 7th, 2011 that explains the relocation you mentioned.

I believe there was an apartment next door to Kate and William that the press suggested would be renovated for Meghan and Harry, not sure if it was just as big but a fair size. Why that never happened I have no idea. It possibly was a red herring and never was earmarked for the newly married couple.

That kind of amuses me. Meghan has literally told us she’s smart. Researching and asking questions about the family and job she’s getting would have been the smart thing to do. Particularly when you’re moving to another country and changing careers to do it.

It also reinforces the idea these 2 are more reactionary than thoughtful.

Indeed. A smart person would not be surprised that people curtsey and bow to a monarch. I don't know where she's getting that Medieval Times comparison from ... unless she saw "It's a Royal Knockout".

Indeed. A smart person would not be surprised that people curtsey and bow to a monarch. I don't know where she's getting that Medieval Times comparison from ... unless she saw "It's a Royal Knockout".

I did feel there was an element of mockery in her tone there.

If she was unprepared for her role then Harry needs to look at himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom