Netflix Docu-Series of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (2022)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, do the Sussexes now feel equipped to judge "British people's culture" and "the state of the Commonwealth" too? Their sense of self-importance is really going off the charts.

Their view of British culture is "through the lens" of being put up in luxury hotels and Royal properties and being whisked around in police-driven fancy cars.

An infrequent (yet photographed) foray visiting an impoverished or disadvantaged group of people ends with a little hop into a waiting Range Rover.

I can't decide if I'll watch.
I admit I'm curious, but high ratings will result in more of the same.

I will not watch it but I plan to follow how everyone reacts (e.g. media and forum members)

As of this morning, Netflix trailer has 19K likes and 220K dislikes; The comments are hilarious! Majority of people are not taking them serious.

I hope they are prepared for everything to be dissected. They have provided materials to the media for the next few months - and i don't think it will be favorable to them.

And I agree with everyone else about Prince William's reaction, if they attack Catherine. If he doesn't react to this publicly, then my guess is that he will cut Prince Harry from his life completely. It will be the end of brotherhood. Very sad, indeed.

That's odd because I know of quite a few American people who have a strong dislike for the couple - they are certainly not "indifferent" towards them!

The Sussexes- to me- are different from how Americans view the rest of the BRF. They’ve set themselves apart- and are seen that way. Discussing the BRF versus the Sussexes are separate subjects.

If I were to talk about the BRF, for example, the Sussexes wouldn’t be part of who I was discussing.

They live here in the US, they live in a celebrity style mansion, they are ex working royals. They complain a lot about the BRF. It’s been a long and public split between them and the family business. The longer they are here- the more they look and act like any other Hollywood celebrity. This up coming series is an easy example of that.

In fact - all this trailer being released in the middle of Catherine and William’s tour did was hi light the differences between the BRF and the Sussexes- right here on US soil.

Anyhow- this may be going OT a bit.

Last edited:
Your last few words are the tipping point, as we know from the Oprah interview they are not known for accuracy. This is where the danger lies, because it did not matter how many times people were told that what they said was wrong they still wanted to believe what Meghan said.

I really hope they do not go down that road.

Netflix have apparently had to spend some time 'reconciling' what's they've said in the series to what Harry has put in the book, which does not bode well for the accuracy of either.

There might not be outright lying, but I suspect there's going to be an awful lot of embellishment, and favourable misremembering.

One would expect The Telegraph to know better as the term "British Commonwealth" has not been in use since 1949.

Anyway, do the Sussexes now feel equipped to judge "British people's culture" and "the state of the Commonwealth" too? Their sense of self-importance is really going off the charts.

The Telegraph is quoting from the Netflix blurb. Netflix obviously haven't got a clue what they're talking about. A little knowledge & all that. And judging from previous pronouncements Markle & H Windsor are no better informed when it comes to Britain & The Commonwealth.

No doubt it’ll have the usual home grown talking heads with their skewed cultural agenda, propaganda & dodgy history. None of it new & all of it deeply unhelpful with it's divisiveness. But it will make lots of money so someone will be happy.

Last edited:
Moved to a different topic as it might go beyond the docu series itself.

I personally won't watch it. (I don't currently have Netflix but if I did, I would not feed the Sussex publicity machine.) I assume the "juicy bits" (most outrageous claims) will be fully reported in the media. I will probably read and watch some of the reaction to it.

I think reaction in the USA will continue to be mixed but increasing numbers of people are getting tired of hearing from them. They generally aren't liked much here in Canada now. Many people remember how they used Canada initially and as my adult daughter stated, "they left when they didn't get their own way and never even bothered to say thank you."

I hope that the Sussexes don't continue their history of criticism and blame towards the Royal Family but I think it is likely as that has been their pattern so far. This will probably push them farther away from Harry's family, especially his brother and father. I assume that the breech is probably permanent and this show (and the book) will be the final nail in the coffin.

It's sad. When Harry met Meghan, I and so many people were happy for him and hopeful at Meghan's role and future contributions. It didn't have to turn out this way. The path they have chosen the last couple of years won't bring them sustaining financial support. Most importantly, it won't bring them long term happiness either.

Last edited:
Btw, what is "British Commonwealth"? The Commonwealth Realms? Or The Commonwealth of Nations?

A term that was coined in 1926, and superseded by "Commonwealth of Nations" in 1949. Netflix really are clueless.

I wouldn't blame William if he wanted to hit back, especially if this series contains another pack of lies like the one in the Oprah interview, but part of me doesn't want to see him lower himself to Harry and Meghan's level.

Last edited:
I think it is better not to get into a "he said, she said" over little things. If they do respond it needs to be along the lines of "recollections may vary" because the last thing the RF need is anything coming back to bite them if they don't have everything lined up perfectly.

Honestly though, I think the RF have purposefully had minimal contact since Megxit - and all by email most likely - so there is very little new things to add to since the Oprah interview. That is why I believe they aren't that worried. The "worst" has already come out. The most that can still come is a revelation of who said the "racist remark" about their future child - but I suspect that is the last thing H&M will do as they know it was probably taken wholly out of context and when the full story was explained it would also put them in a bad light.

I can honestly say I don't think they will keep viewers if they are simply looking at their unfair treatment by the media - Meghan was too involved with the media herself for that to end well. And I will also say, rightly or wrongly, the media won't allow themselves to be "taken down" in that way.

I think it is better not to get into a "he said, she said" over little things. If they do respond it needs to be along the lines of "recollections may vary" because the last thing the RF need is anything coming back to bite them if they don't have everything lined up perfectly.

Honestly though, I think the RF have purposefully had minimal contact since Megxit - and all by email most likely - so there is very little new things to add to since the Oprah interview. That is why I believe they aren't that worried. The "worst" has already come out. The most that can still come is a revelation of who said the "racist remark" about their future child - but I suspect that is the last thing H&M will do as they know it was probably taken wholly out of context and when the full story was explained it would also put them in a bad light.

I can honestly say I don't think they will keep viewers if they are simply looking at their unfair treatment by the media - Meghan was too involved with the media herself for that to end well. And I will also say, rightly or wrongly, the media won't allow themselves to be "taken down" in that way.

You are right with regards the media, I really do believe they will retaliate. I am convinced they are sitting on stuff.

A term that was coined in 1926, and superseded by "Commonwealth of Nations" in 1949. Netflix really are clueless.

I wouldn't blame William if he wanted to hit back, especially if this series contains another pack of lies like the one in the Oprah interview, but part of me doesn't want to see him lower himself to Harry and Meghan's level.

If the rf limit themselves to correcting any factual mistakes then that would be reasonable I think.

I don’t think the family will react to it. There are bigger fish to fry IMHO. We all know that KCIII is emotional and passionate, but I think he and William will be let the Sussexes take as much rope as they can.

Several speculative posts & responses have been removed.

The Sussexes- to me- are different from how Americans view the rest of the BRF. They’ve set themselves apart- and are seen that way. Discussing the BRF versus the Sussexes are separate subjects.

If I were to talk about the BRF, for example, the Sussexes wouldn’t be part of who I was discussing.

They live here in the US, they live in a celebrity style mansion, they are ex working royals. They complain a lot about the BRF. It’s been a long and public split between them and the family business. The longer they are here- the more they look and act like any other Hollywood celebrity. This up coming series is an easy example of that.

In fact - all this trailer being released in the middle of Catherine and William’s tour did was hi light the differences between the BRF and the Sussexes- right here on US soil.

Anyhow- this may be going OT a bit.

Exactly. I do not include them in the British Royal Family.

I’ve never seen such hilarious trolling on a trailer posted in Youtube, ever. And it’s not bots, these are people just creatively taking a piss out of the couple. And the number of dislikes, geesh.

I'm curious about why Netflix chose to use Meghan's quote about the stakes being high. I can't believe they didn't anticipate that the phrase would invite ridicule. I suppose that it got people talking but it seems like there would have been a way to do that without inviting people to mock the Sussexes.

I'm curious about why Netflix chose to use Meghan's quote about the stakes being high. I can't believe they didn't anticipate that the phrase would invite ridicule. I suppose that it got people talking but it seems like there would have been a way to do that without inviting people to mock the Sussexes.

There’s an economic concept called the principal-agent problem which discusses what happens when there’s a conflict between a person (or couple in this case) and the entity representing them that arises from their interests not being aligned.

Netflix does not have the same agenda Harry and Meghan have. Harry and Meghan, presumably, did this series to earn money but also to enhance their reputations. They want it to be well-received. Netflix is aligned with their interests in wanting to make money, but is neutral when it comes to their reputations. In fact, if the Sussexes try to prioritize reputation management in a way that will harm the ability of the series to earn money, it’s likely Netflix would have pushed back. That may be the source of some of the rumored behind the scenes conflict.

Basically: Netflix is there to get views, not to make Harry and Meghan look good. If both can be managed at the same time, they’d probably prefer that, but if it can’t? They’re going to prioritize their own interests.

And they have such a good opportunity to address the 'racism' topic in a way to educate people in a 'this happened, and why this was wrong' kind of way without resorting to dragging vague insinuations by persons undisclosed into it...
if P.Harry would just look back on that party where he wore a nazi symbol (was it an entire outfit? don't remember) and the time he used a racial slur..

i've said it before, but if they just used those examples it would imo be a lot more credible and have a lot more impact, especially on younger people than 'the grey suits' because loads of people could probably relate to that

instead they seem to go for just plain old revenge...(and i think somewhere after the series and book they plan to reach out to the family and reconcile? i wonder if that was the gossip media coming up with a line...)

edited to add:
just say on an article from daily mail that a paparazzi shot used in the trailer was actually from a Harry Potter premiere 5 years before H&M met...surely they are not going to make the same mistakes in the series as in the Oprah interview of using photos and footage that were unrelated or altered? the gossip press will have a field day figuring out all the mistakes...

Last edited:
Interesting that there is a seeming admission of what many of Meghan’s supporters staunchly deny: Meghan was massively supported by the media and public at the beginning.

And they have such a good opportunity to address the 'racism' topic in a way to educate people in a 'this happened, and why this was wrong' kind of way without resorting to dragging vague insinuations by persons undisclosed into it...
if P.Harry would just look back on that party where he wore a nazi symbol (was it an entire outfit? don't remember) and the time he used a racial slur..

i've said it before, but if they just used those examples it would imo be a lot more credible and have a lot more impact, especially on younger people than 'the grey suits' because loads of people could probably relate to that

instead they seem to go for just plain old revenge...(and i think somewhere after the series and book they plan to reach out to the family and reconcile? i wonder if that was the gossip media coming up with a line...)

edited to add:
just say on an article from daily mail that a paparazzi shot used in the trailer was actually from a Harry Potter premiere 5 years before H&M met...surely they are not going to make the same mistakes in the series as in the Oprah interview of using photos and footage that were unrelated or altered? the gossip press will have a field day figuring out all the mistakes...

Oh I believe that every British newspaper and tabloid will scrutinize the series to make sure that the Oprah interview back drop of non-British publications' headlines is not repeated.

Having viewed the second trailer with the couple's expressions and gestures, I am now am fully expecting that this is a reality series similar to "The Real Housewives of Orange County" than a documentary. :ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve said it once before on this thread, but wow: this couple really did have a fly-on-the-wall Netflix crew in their home, in their vehicles, following them through their engagements. People have been saying this for over a year and, frankly, I classed them with people who say Elvis is alive. How they could ever be invited anywhere or trusted again…

And the trailer is worth watching!

Here is a link for the trailer on youtube for those, which don't want to click to the Daily Mail:

One gets the impression, the Sussexes have an angle here - one against the British Royal Family.

Personally, I find this aspect of intrigues in the Royal Houses very interesting, while a lot of the royal watchers prefer to see the light side.

But this trailer makes it look like the Sussexes had no other choice but to go into exile and to monetize their name and thei experiences there. And this is in my mind not true!

Wow! This second trailer is pure TNT.

And it looks like, in additition to the race card, they are pushing again the (delusional) narrative that Meghan was becoming a super star and that upset "the hierarchy in the Family". And they are bringing Diana back into it too, which is highly unethical considering she is a deceased person who can no longer talk back.

Maybe the final product will be toned down (trailers are made for clicks), but it is worrisome nonetheless.

There’s an economic concept called the principal-agent problem which discusses what happens when there’s a conflict between a person (or couple in this case) and the entity representing them that arises from their interests not being aligned.

Netflix does not have the same agenda Harry and Meghan have. Harry and Meghan, presumably, did this series to earn money but also to enhance their reputations. They want it to be well-received. Netflix is aligned with their interests in wanting to make money, but is neutral when it comes to their reputations. In fact, if the Sussexes try to prioritize reputation management in a way that will harm the ability of the series to earn money, it’s likely Netflix would have pushed back. That may be the source of some of the rumored behind the scenes conflict.

Basically: Netflix is there to get views, not to make Harry and Meghan look good. If both can be managed at the same time, they’d probably prefer that, but if it can’t? They’re going to prioritize their own interests.

But isn’t there a way to prioritize certain things at the beginning of the process? At the start, when Harry and Meghan were negotiating the terms of the contract with Netflix could they not have set certain conditions re: what they would and would not talk about, how contentious (or not) the content and advertising would be re: the Royal Family, etc? I’m thinking of all the similar series I’ve watched with various celebrities as well as things like big covers and print interviews for Vogue/Vanity Fair and the like, and it’s all obviously very packaged. If the subject did something stupid they talk about it, but it’s done in a way that calms things down and makes them look better, while still getting good ratings/clicks for whatever entity they’re dealing with.

Harry and Meghan aren’t A list celebrities but they would have had some bargaining power and could have used it to set conditions about the content and tone of the series. But based on the trailers it seems they left things wide open, I assume to get as much money as possible.

Well they're 3 sides to this story. Sussexes, the Palaces, and the actual truth.

I do think that by January 2023 Prince Joachim's children won't be the only royals with new titles!

I think The Sussexes will (and rightfully so) will be demoted to Mr and Mrs. Mountbatten-Windsor.

They cannot get away with this damaging smear campaign.

Thanks for the new trailer, here are my comments and I'll try to be neutral and call it as I see it while following the house rules. ;)

First seconds the Monarchy's hierarchy is mentioned by Harry as a sort of complaint, I assume from the tone of voice. My concern is, does he understand his role within this type of government was assigned upon birth?

And this is no different than any other family, royal or not. You grow up with expectations to follow rules and traditions. In a non-royal family, the children respect the elders, the younger respect the older child(ren) who often are held responsible for looking after their siblings.

In a monarchical system, or any big or small family corporation or business, everyone is assigned a duty to continue the system. When Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip referred to the family as The Firm they understood everyone is assigned duties as they age. That's the hierarchy mentioned in Harry's voiceover.

Re the leaks within the household. From other news I've read the major problem are the tabloids accessing staff, not royals themselves, to get a hint of what goes on close doors. One article I read recently about the low salaries of the household is an easy indication how this access has been breached.

So, if the problem is identifiable, as a royal, or a member of a first family in a republic system, you work around it. If Harry and Meghan encountered hostility or passive aggressive behavior toward them from staff members, then identify the problem in house. And if the staff is also reacting toward them for x or y reason, be open minded and acknowledge your own private conduct could be why the Windsor or, now this week, Archewell staffers react to you that way.

I just think had H&M waited longer, now that his father is King Charles III, they both would have been assigned duties as working royals to enjoy. Unfortunately, that bridge was burned and going back means there has to be trust from both sides and preferably keep things that are meant to be kept private, just private. :ermm:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom