Netflix Docu-Series of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex (2022)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that they still want to present Meghan as the savior of the royal family whom they needed to keep up with the times... And clearly, them being mostly concerned about her being an American actress, shows that what she thought was her unique selling point but also a point of contention for them was just a 'matter of fact' and not considered problematic (if anything they might have seen it as an asset). However, unfortunately, she has shown to be very full of herself (with both a 'savior' and 'victim' complex it seems) and very little interested in truly serving the institution she decided to marry into.

And I'm surprised that they think that people don't understand that a prerecorded engagement interview is somewhat rehearsed and not completely spontaneous. So, not sure which record needs to be set straight. Did anyone claim that it was completely spontaneous?

The BBC journalist who did the interview, Mishal Hussain, reacted to the documentary saying her recollections about the interview vary from those of the Sussexes. Incidentally she is a British woman of Pakistani descendent ( specifically born of Pakistani parents).

I've just finished Episode 1, and I took notes to share here. I am planning to do the same for other episodes if it's helpful to members.

List of those interviewed in Episode 1 (aside from Harry and Meghan): Lindsay Roth, Meghan's friend. Lucy Fraser, Meghan's friend. Jill Smoller, Meghan's friend. Silver Tree, Meghan's friend. Nacho Figueras, Harry's Polo friend. James Holt, the executive director of Archewell. Afua Hirsh, British journalist and author. Robert Hazell, author, The Role of Monarchy in Modern Democracy. A man called "Nicky" whose last name is not included, who is identified as Harry's childhood friend from Eton. Prince Seeiso of Lesotho, Harry's friend. Abigail Spencer, Meghan's friend (and Suits castmate)

Logistical Information from Episode 1:
The show opens with the information that all interviews were completed by August 2022 and that members of the royal family declined to comment on the content of the series. The second part is currently being disputed by press officials, who claim they were not given the opportunity to comment.

Show Opening credits: Music plays and images are displayed of Prince Charles at his investiture of Prince of Wales, Queen Elizabeth II at her coronation, a baby Harry with Diana, Princess of Wales and a baby Meghan with her mother, Doria Ragland. Then the couple with Archie, press taking photos, William and Harry together as teenagers, the infamous shot of the two of them in the rain under the umbrella looking happy, and some photo booth photos of them embracing and kissing. Several shots of them in California and Lili taking her fist steps, as well as the image of the Queen at Archie's christening. Archie chasing some birds, final shot of the family.

Brief Recap: This episode primarily covered how Harry and Meghan met and their early dating life, including the well-known fact that they had met each other only twice before their trip to Botswana, which is when their relationship became serious, though Harry says he felt he fell in love with her long-distance before that. Harry discusses his early childhood, with a particular focus on his family's relationship with the media. He says they often tried to strike bargains for photo calls with the idea they'd be left alone after, but that they were almost always still pursued. The footage used to illustrate this is the photo call of Harry, William, Beatrice and Eugenie on skiing holiday in Klosters when they were very young. He covers his teen years, and how after Diana died, the press focus turned to him and William and how many of the stories were exaggerated and repeated, such as the "drug shame" story. He covers how he felt after his mother's death- torn between his grief for her and his role in the royal family. He then shares how his former girlfriends were harassed, and how he was afraid he would lose Meghan to the same type of press harassment. When the story of their relationship was about to break, they went out for one last night of anonymous fun, for Halloween, with Eugenie and Jack dressed in costume. Harry was unprepared for the racial undertones of the coverage, and a montage is shown of the headlines from the time, as well as the threats on social media.

Much of this has been extensively covered elsewhere and there's not a lot of new information added in this episode that wasn't already public, aside from the couple's photos and video diaries taken by them during the process of leaving.

Potential spots of controversy: This section is subjective, and contains my own thoughts about what the media might focus on as controversial in this episode. The first is Prince Harry's claim that though the Panorama interview was obtained by deception, it didn't influence what Diana said and her perspective on her life in that interview can be taken as wholly truthful. This contradicts Prince William's public interpretation of the interview, where he stated he feels what she said was substantially influenced by how the interview was obtained. Additionally, there is a direct quote from Harry that said "For so many people in the family especially the men, there can be a temptation or an urge to marry someone who would fit in the mold as opposed to somebody who you perhaps are destined to be with. The difference between making decisions with your head or your heart. And my mom made most of her decisions from her heart and I am my mother's son."It's very possible that this will be interpreted as a dig at William and Catherine's marriage, especially given that later on in the episode, a historian discusses the way the freedoms of members of the royal family are curtailed. When he talks about how their marriages need to be approved by the monarch, a very formal photo of William and Catherine at a royal engagement is shown.
Thanks so VERY much - I just cannot bring myself to watch it!

Didn’t watch it, have no attention span these days for anything other than superb TV, but I saw a clip of Meghan doing a mocking curtsy to the Queen. Quite shocking to me! Even taking out the royal factor, for me as an Asian person who respects elders, especially family members—what is so strange about showing respect? That was distasteful.

Watched first two episodes. Nothing much there. Same stuff. Although at times I did think that’s not how I remember it. She was categorically not hounded by paps in London. I have no idea about Toronto.

I don’t have any opinions about it really so far. Their right to make it but Meghan’s Mum possibly should have abided by code of say nothing. I’m not sure I warmed to her.

2 people who are friends with Harry…only one not post Meghan. That Nicky friend wouldn’t even have his second name on it. Any others from Harry’s life expected. Or is this more the Meghan show?

On a more serious note maybe he really doesn’t have any friends anymore, or at least none willing to talk about him. Wonder how Eugenie felt about personal pictures being used.

Last edited:
What I think is really sad is when the media made fun of her because she didn't grow up in a nice neighborhood. There was a clip with a picture of her Mom taking her laundry to a laundromat. I hated all of it because I feel like her Mom did her best to give her everything she can that was within their financial means.

What I think is really sad is when the media made fun of her because she didn't grow up in a nice neighborhood. There was a clip with a picture of her Mom taking her laundry to a laundromat. I hated all of it because I feel like her Mom did her best to give her everything she can that was within their financial means.

What’s wrong with going to the laundromat. If I could afford to get my washing done for me you bet I would. It’s a real treat when travelling.

The media are absolutely every expletive you could think off. They aren’t wrong but they write what we read and what does that say about us. Also, it is best to just ignore the white noise. Because ultimately they are the ones that look bad anyway.

As for unconscious bias…everyone has it and every institution dripping. Needs to pull back from claiming that. Do I breath? I have unconscious bias. So does he.

Here's review from the Telegraph (which, as Harry stated, not a tabloid so should be valid right?)

Harry, Meghan and the Half-Truth Prince: an unashamedly one-sided story

And they really go that way with the title :lol:
For what it's worth, I get the impression that this Harry does seem to think that he's The Chosen One. More so, he also seems to have beef with "You-Know-Who" and "He-Shall-Not-Be-Named".

Next:
- Harry and the Prisoner of Windsor (in reference to his trapped father and brother)
- Harry and Palace of Secret (the courtiers aka the men in black)
Can someone please provide this as an archive? Thanks so much!

Her mom actually made the point that she did grow up in a very nice neighborhood and that those stories didn’t reflect their socioeconomic status. Meghan was very well off by the standards of most of the U.S.

If she was hounded by the media so much you'd think she'd have tried to avoid walking in front of the HQ of the Daily Mail so often when she and Harry were dating.

Its interesting all this "giving consent" for going public yet they've released private pictures with numerous people in - I wonder if they were all asked for their consent beforehand.

Interesting his own "casual" racist remarks weren't commented upon - unless I missed it.

You could take that as a dig at William and Catherine’s marriage since William specifically said he wanted to make sure she knew what she was getting into before marriage. Which was smart and considerate on William’s part. He was capable of thinking long term. And Catherine has fit in beautifully.

IMO- there is nothing wrong with making decisions with your head AND your heart. Which would be my interpretation of what the Waleses were smart enough to do. In general- that’s a good thing imo.

Lol- but if Harry is saying he never uses his head to make decisions- well that explains so much. And not in a good way.

Diana always (only if that’s your interpretation) leading by the heart wasn’t good imo either. I know Harry sees it as a good thing, but I don’t. A mixture of the two is best imo.

If he didn’t care whether meghsn would fit in- then why make a point of saying in the engagement interview that he’s had serious talks about what marrying him would mean? Why make it sound like they were committed? He apparently didn’t care.
I think it’s revisionist history - he wanted her to fit in, then they wanted HIHO, and when that didn’t work, he had to come up with an excuse. Very sad and immature IMHO.

What’s wrong with going to the laundromat. If I could afford to get my washing done for me you bet I would. It’s a real treat when travelling.

The media are absolutely every expletive you could think off. They aren’t wrong but they write what we read and what does that say about us. Also, it is best to just ignore the white noise. Because ultimately they are the ones that look bad anyway.

As for unconscious bias…everyone has it and every institution dripping. Needs to pull back from claiming that. Do I breath? I have unconscious bias. So does he.

Nothing is wrong with the laundromat, but most laundromats in the US, you do your own washing. The drycleaners would do your laundry for you.

I don't know how it's down overseas though.

HRHHermione, thank you so much for the detailed account of each episode. I really appreciate your attempts to be unbiased, and note when you are inserting your own thoughts. Job well done!

I’d like to echo the thanks. Your account has been super helpful.

I just finished watching the 3 episodes in this segment. They were pretty harmless and it was nice to learn about their courtship. If only they hadn’t become so bitter they could have accomplished so much. JMHO

Recap 3, again in (at least) two parts. My apologies for the length, but these last two episodes had a lot in them, and I didn't want to bias discussion by leaving out context.

List of those interviewed in Episode 3 (aside from Harry and Meghan):
David Olusoga, Author Black and British. Afua Hirsch, Journalist and Author, Brit(ish). James Holt, Executive Director of Archewell. Daniel Martin, Meghan's makeup artist and friend. Mandana Dayani. Interestingly, she is identified on screen as only "friend" but until recently, she was the President of Archewell.

Tim Burt, Strategic Advisor to Archewell and Vice Chairman, Teneo. Lindsay Roth, Meghan's friend. Susan Willinger, Meghan's childhood friend. Ashleigh Hale, Immigration Attorney and "Meg's Niece". Nicky, Harry's childhood friend. Serena Williams, Meghan's friend and tennis superstar. Kehinde Andrews, author, The New Age of Empire. Lucy Fraser, Meghan's friend.

Not So Brief Recap: This episode opens with footage of their formal engagement interview, which Meghan describes as an orchestrated reality show. She says it was very rehearsed. Media reaction is covered, including a line about how Prince Harry is probably the most popular member of the royal family. Footage of their engagement interview continues, and public reactions from the royal family sharing that they are thrilled for the couple are included. The part of the engagement interview where they specifically highlighted Catherine as being "absolutely fantastic" and the bit where Meghan says his family have been very welcoming are replayed. The question about if the combination of their backgrounds represent something new for the Royal Family is juxtaposed against images of the Queen visiting Commonwealth countries and being cheered by people of color. Meghan says that her point (re: the engagement interview being staged) is that they weren't allowed to tell their story, and Harry says they were never allowed to tell their story, that's the consistent thing. Then they say until now, and the director says "I guess that's why we're here" and the couple agree.

James Holt discusses how he was oblivious to the history and legacy and talks about the celebration of colonial power and Britain's history of global importance. Olusoga says that Black and Brown people did not come to live in Britain in large numbers until the post-World War II labor shortage when many were recruited from Caribbean countries. Olusoga felt Harry and Meghan's engagement could be the moment when the Royal Family caught up with the rest of Britain as multicultural and multiracial.

Coverage of Meghan and Harry's first official walkabout is shown. Meghan says she did not know what a walkabout was and had never seen any photos. Harry says he could help with some of it, but could not advise her about the style and presentation women in the family need to know. Their first engagement was chaotic behind the scenes. They share interviews with many Black women who came specifically to see Meghan and Harry discusses how excited and pleased people were and says they thought of Meghan as a breath of fresh air. Harry says "I thought to myself, what a dream. I have found a woman that not necessarily finds this easy but is able to do it and make it look easy." More positive headlines are shown.

Meghan shares behind the scenes of her in New York being made up for an event by her friend, and shares that Archie loves "Bennie and the Jets" by Elton John. Mandana Dayani and Meghan discuss prep for something, which involves discussing accounts that say negative things about her. (Personal note- It seems very staged as a conversation.) Meghan says "Mostly 'royal experts'" and Dayani responds that she doesn't know what that means. She opines that "someone can just call themselves a royal expert" and Harry explains it's the same as being a royal correspondent which newspapers use to establish credibility about stories on the family. Harry says the only point of it is to lead legitimacy to those stories and says royal correspondents are part of the PR of the royal family. He says there's been an agreement there for over 30 years.

Tim Burt, Strategic Advisor to Archewell, explains a "special relationship" between the tabloids and the royal family and says there's an unwritten contract between the press and the royal family. He goes into taxpayer money funding the family and describes it as "we pay, you pose." Harry says if someone is part of the royal rota, they have priority to stories over everyone else. Harry says the royal rota believes the royal family is theirs to exploit and their narrative to control. Footage of Charles talking about the press is shown. Afua says that Harry and William are the first generation to grow up under that tabloid contract and that being born into a contractual relationship with the British media isn't fair. James Holt says that photographers told them that Harry didn't perform for them anymore, and he regrets telling Harry and Meghan to play the game. Holt says if you don't "play the game" you fall out of favor, and any opportunity to highlight the negative is taken. Holt says "Imagine all these people who have published horrible things about you, you have to perform for them." Holt says with Meghan there was no limit, anyone was fair game. This segues into her friends talking about how media would reach to people close to her.

Doria felt unsafe and couldn't walk her dogs or go to work unfollowed. She felt stalked by the paparazzi. Meghan says she believed that the U.K. media wanted her mom's side of the family to be difficult, but her mom is classy and quiet. The other side of Meghan's family though, " is just acting differently. My half sister who I haven't seen for over a decade and that was for a day and a half, and all of a sudden she was everywhere." It covers the Samantha headlines and Doria and Meghan say that Meghan has no real childhood memories of Tom's kids. Ashleigh Hale, Meghan's niece and Samantha's daughter is then interviewed. She describes Samantha as her "biological mother" and notes that she was raised by her grandparents from age 2 years old and she was ultimately adopted by them. Ashleigh has not seen Samantha since she was six, but they reconnected later in life in 2007. Ashleigh and Megan connected via email and developed a relationship. They were quite close when Meghan was on Suits and they went on vacation to New Orleans together. They talk about how important their connection was and Meghan says she wanted to protect Ashleigh from the media. Ashleigh says that Samantha resented Meghan and she seemed to get angrier, until they stopped talking.

They then move to Meghan's first Christmas at Sandringham and Harry's comment that the family was like the family she's never had. Meghan says she remembers calling her mom and telling her it was amazing. She said it was a big family like she always wanted, and there was constant movement and energy and fun. "At dinner, I sat next to H's grandfather, and I thought it went really well and later H was like 'You had his bad ear, he didn't hear anything you said' and she laughed because she'd thought it had gone really well. Then they go into the headlines about Princess Michael's "Blackamoor" brooch and the racial undertones.
Afua Hirsch says the story did not surprise her because "one of the realities of life in Britain is that if you go into a palace or stately home or anywhere that represents tradition, you are likely to be faced with racist imagery. There are murals on the wall and carvings on the ceiling that depict enslaved people in a way that glorifies the institution of slavery." She says you could say it's a small thing, a brooch, and she didn't mean anything by it- but that it's a skeleton in the closet.

Harry says "in this family, sometimes you're part of the problem rather than part of the solution. And there is a huge level of unconscious bias. The thing with unconscious bias is it's no one's fault, but once it’s been pointed out, you then need to make it right. It's education. It's awareness. And it's a constant work in progress for everyone, including me." This is how they lead into past stories of Harry's Nazi uniform, which he describes as one of the biggest mistakes of his life that he felt so ashamed about after. He talks about meeting with the chief rabbi in London and meeting a Holocaust survivor and he says he learned from that. The implication is that his family has not.

They just sound arrogant.

Harry is now perfectly enlightened. I agree that he’s implying his family isn’t- especially when he talks about how sometimes they’re part of the problem.

“Orchestrated reality show” regarding her engagement interview just sounds unnecessarily harsh. Were they supposed to just wing it? What does she think she’s doing on the show- this IS an orchestrated reality show. A 6 hour one. That is one sided and biased.

I find it difficult to believe his family would agree with his interpretation of their relationship with the press.

There seems to be a lot detail that is not overly necessary. (Not your commentary! The show.)

Last edited:
I just saw a clip of correspondent Chris Ship and he commented on Megan reenacting the curtesy.

It was the first time I’d seen the clip, and oh, my…it’s way worse than reading about it.

Harry looks a bit offended, as he should.

And, as an American, I was offended. It was completely disrespectful to another culture, and to the Queen herself. And, what was so awful was it was clear Meghan delighted in her grand reenactment, and found herself funny and clever. It wasn’t cute. It was juvenile and embarrassing. All I could think was thank goodness it’s about British culture - doing an over-the-top Japanese bow or Māori greeting, for example, would be far less tolerated by viewers.

Chris said he found it strange that it was left in the documentary, especially since Harry’s annoyed reaction is so evident, and the camera actually focuses on it at the end of scene.

It makes me think of The NY Times Sunday article which featured Meghan but also subtlety threw digs at her, and how perfect she found herself.

This was an example on film, which to me, packs a greater punch.

It’s only one moment out of six hours, I know, but to me, it’s what has always sat wrong with me about Meghan since their complaining began in earnest post marriage.

Last edited:
“Orchestrated reality show” regarding her engagement interview just sounds unnecessarily harsh. Were they supposed to just wing it?

What I think was interesting is that they perceived that as oppressive rather than protective. I wonder how much of their staff conflict came down to that- Meghan seeing staff telling her what to conceal in public as an indictment of who she is rather than an attempt to help her control the narrative and have a separate public and private life.

Nothing is wrong with the laundromat, but most laundromats in the US, you do your own washing. The drycleaners would do your laundry for you.

I don't know how it's down overseas though.

The point of the Doria laundry pics was just plain old humiliation, just like the stories about Carole Middleton's flight attendant experience, Catherine's Uncle Gary, James Middleton's business ventures, Major Ron's Wigmore Club kerfuffle, Charles Spencer's marriage travails ... it's not about income or class per se. It's what the tabs can use to build an entertaining story. (Their version of an entertaining story.)

The BBC journalist who did the interview, Mishal Hussain, reacted to the documentary saying her recollections about the interview vary from those of the Sussexes. Incidentally she is a British woman of Pakistani descendent (specifically born of Pakistani parents).

Sounds like the royal family coined a new term for sharing that in your view the other party isn't telling the truth.

My takeaway is that neither Harry nor Meghan care to take any of the blame themselves for things going south.

Harry certainly knew what would be expected of any woman marrying into his family. The good, the bad and the ugly of it all. It seems to me that he followed in his father's footsteps of failing to prepare Meghan adequately for how constricting royal life really is. For example, I'm sure he's seen all the royal women appropriately curtsy to the Queen enough times that he could show Meghan how to do it correctly so she didn't feel the need to mock or exaggerate it.

However, Meghan clearly didn't do her homework either. All it takes is a few internet searches to acquire an rudimentary understanding of court behavior, the dedication to official duties by the working royals and the palace mantra of discretion being the better part of valor. Or maybe she just thought the rules wouldn't apply to her as well, which was a mistake.

I think both H&M saw Meghan in the role of the new Princess Diana. Fun loving, rule breaking rebel, much loved by the British public. The unfortunate reality is that Diana's brand of magic was a product of the times she lived in, which are far different from today. She also endeared herself by coming off as a sweet, naive young woman in love with her prince and not someone who immediately started making waves with her activism. Diana, despite her personal drama, worked hard for the crown for years and that's how she earned the respect many had for her.

Plenty of Americans don’t just hug people they don’t know. Starting with myself. It should not have been a shock to Meghan that everyone is not a hugger. That’s not a cultural issue imo. That’s a Meghan one. (This is what she wants to talk about?! Really. Seems absurd to me. Plenty of Americans will find HER response off putting.).

I would say most Americans wouldn’t meet their future brother and sister in law for the first time in ripped jeans and bare feet, either. I mean, you obviously can’t generalize about a population of 300 million, but I think most people would at least put on non ripped jeans and a pair of socks before giving out the unsolicited hugs.

Meghan acts like she dropped into the UK from Mars instead of North America.

‘It is a classic example of seeking to wound but fearing to strike“

This sums it all up.

Misan Harriman says that Harry is not dissimilar from boys he went to school with who were in an echo chamber of absolute privilege, but that once you step out of that you realize there's a much bigger world. There's a video of Meghan and Harry on a military base after they left the royal family, making a visit. He talks about his ten years of service and how it gave him a lived experience other members of his family wouldn't have had. He said he grew up pretty fast in Afghanistan and says "jeez I went to war twice." He says the people he met and the lifelong friends were his second family, and there are still scars leftover from his mum's awesomeness, showing archival footage of him talking about a letter William sent in Afghanistan talking about how proud she would be of him. He says that working and living with normal people had an effect on him, before he met Meghan. The military base they visited honored him for his discussion of mental health. This is an American Air Force base visited sometime after they left. Meghan was also honored by a Black woman in the Air Force, though they aren't clear about what.

From there, they show Harry and Meghan and William and Kate at the first Royal Foundation event after Meghan and Harry's engagement, focusing on the bit where Meghan's thoughts and issues are spotlighted. Tim Burt says it's important to remember that the royal family deliberately champions causes that are non-controversial. He says Meghan was more of an activist. She says she didn't know that would be taboo to talk about it and thought it would just be topical. Then they share the footage about having disagreements from that engagement and make it clear it was more serious as a disagreement than they laughed off on stage.

Meghan says "Joining this family, I knew there was a protocol for how things would be done. Do you remember that old movie, The Princess Diaries, with Anne Hathaway? Meghan says there's no class on it and then lists all the protocol to learn. She says she needed to learn a lot, including the National Anthem, which she says she googles. Harry says the press invented a lot of protocols. Meghan says it was baptism by fire.

The behind the scenes fitting for Meghan's red dress worn in New York are shown, the one worn to the Intrepid gallery. Meghan says in the UK she rarely wore color because you shouldn't wear the same color as the Queen at a group event but then you should also never be wearing the same color as one of the other more senior members of the family. So Meghan said she asked her self what colors they'd never wear- she decided camel, beige and white- and she tried to blend in rather than standing out. She said she did everything she could to fit in and not embarrass the family. Then it cuts to Samantha Markle and the headlines about her. Meghan says they played whack a mole every day on negative stories. She said the stories were salacious and it got scary- sharing that a white substance was sent through a letter. The security for the wedding scared her. She said behind the scenes she was "turtling" and hiding. Ashleigh, her niece, says communication with Meghan got much less frequent and Ashleigh felt her relationships were being managed. James Holt explains the royal press office and the communications team and how they are structured and that the comms teams responsibility is to the principle player.

Harry says "Our comms team at the time was joined with my brother's office, so in total we only had one person dedicated to us and it was a huge undertaking." Meghan says no one understands what that very small comms team was dealing with. She says she was guided not to invite Ashleigh to her wedding because it would be too hard to explain why she was invited and Samantha wasn't. Meghan said it was painful.

Serena Williams talks about how excited she was for the wedding and how in love Meghan and Harry were. The invite to the evening reception is showed for the first time.

The history of the Commonwealth is detailed, and they talk about Britain's strategic role in "the transition from colonialism to independence" in Commonwealth countries. Afua Hirsch says "Britain calculated that it needed to grant these countries independence in a way that protected its commercial and capitalist interest, so it creates this privileged club of formerly colonized nations and called the Commonwealth." They then talk about how the Queen made the Commonwealth her life's mission and she fought hard for it, and show excerpts of her Commonwealth speeches. Afua Hirsch says she calls the Commonwealth "Empire 2.0" because that's what it is. Kehinde Andrews, Author The New Age of Empire, says the Commonwealth means nothing has really changed, they've just got better PR. He says for Black people in the Commonwealth, conditions are almost as bad as they were 50 or 100 years ago. Afua says the roots of their poverty is that their wealth is extracted elsewhere, and is linked to wealth in Britain now. Against this, they show William meeting with members of the Commonwealth countries in one of the palaces. They talk about how Meghan looked like people who lived in the Commonwealth and represented new hope.

Then they show Meghan and Harry marking the 25th anniversary of Stephen Lawrence's death and talk about that history and the discussions it provoked about structural racism. They talk about how meaningful it was to Black communities in Britain to hear Meghan and Harry commemorate that and Afua Hirsch states Prince Harry has really done the educational work needed to transform himself into an anti-racist.

Then they show the footage just before the wedding, and talk about the tabloids trying to pay people for stories. Meghan says the week before the wedding they got the story about Thomas staging photos for the press for money. James Holt says the photos were innocuous enough and he thought the one of Thomas looking at the book of British history was kind of sweet at first until he realized it was a set up. Meghan says she tried to call her dad to find out if it was true, and her dad said it was not true that he was staging the photos for money from the tabloids, Meghan says she offered to send someone to the house to get him out before the press swarmed, and Thomas said no because he had things to do. Meghan said it felt cagey and didn't make sense. Meghan said she didn't believe him. Doria says she was stunned Thomas Markle became part of the circus. Meghan said the relationship fell apart that week because he wasn't answering her calls and talking to TMZ. She found out he wasn't coming to the wedding through the tabloids. She couldn't get him to answer the phone after his heart attack. The texts between her and her dad are displayed on screen, and she says she was suspicious because the text didn't sound like him and it called her Meghan which he has never called her. She says her parents and all her friends call her Meg.

Harry says its sad because she had a father before this and then she didn't have one, and he says if Meghan wasn't with him, her dad would still be her dad, so he shouldered that.

They show the royal wedding will be in 24 hours, and then the episode ends.

Potential spots of controversy: Harry states that the press pack of royal correspondents are essentially just an extended PR arm of the royal family. Given the negative coverage by some of these journalists of other family members, this is likely to be controversial. Harry's claims of a huge level of unconscious bias in members of the Royal Family. Harry's insinuation that he is the only family member who lived and worked in a normal environment and learned of his privilege. Harry's implication that the staff really only worked for William and he and Meghan only had one person in the lead up to the wedding. The history of the Commonwealth that's provided that insinuates it maintains colonial interests in the present day- that's explosive given Harry and Meghan's former leadership roles. The continued focus on Meghan as the person who could have bridged that gap between Britain in the Commonwealth because of her background.

What makes no sense to me is Harry saying his 10 years in the service have given him a sense of normalcy that the rest of his family don’t have. Hmmmm- what has the occupation of the majority of the men in the family traditionally been….let me think….oh right: the military. Including his father and brother.

Is the only way for the wealthy to understand normalcy to join the military?

I think they give Meghan way too much potential influence regarding the commonwealth.

Interesting the line up: only a couple of members of Meghan’s family (2- I think), lots of her friends, commentators, and maybe a couple of his friends. So- mostly Meghan. No real surprise. The people we really wanted to hear from wouldn’t have involved themselves in this.

I can rather see why even a lot of his old friends aren’t in this.

Last edited:
I think Harry's bit about head versus heart when choosing a partner is about his father choosing his mother, instead of the woman he really loved and was 'destined to be with'.

I think Harry said the “men” in his family have done this. Plural. I may be wrong- but he seemed to say it was basically standard practice.

But- what I find interesting is he doesn’t seem to get that you can use your heart and head in decision making.

I would say most Americans wouldn’t meet their future brother and sister in law for the first time in ripped jeans and bare feet, either. I mean, you obviously can’t generalize about a population of 300 million, but I think most people would at least put on non ripped jeans and a pair of socks before giving out the unsolicited hugs.

Meghan acts like she dropped into the UK from Mars instead of North America.

And Meghan was a guest in that cottage, not a resident.

The ripped jeans, bare feet and hug attempts seems to be a calculated riposte to a couple who outrank her boyfriend.

It's also funny, because according to "Revenge" by Tom Bower, Meghan was very sensitive about her feet. During her Canada days, when she was being photographed for Reitman's adverts, she demanded that they retouch her feet to conceal scars and some toe anomalies.

I just saw a clip of correspondent Chris Ship and he commented on Megan reenacting the curtesy.

It was the first time I’d seen the clip, and oh, my…it’s way worse than reading about it.

Harry looks a bit offended, as he should.

And, as an American, I was offended. It was completely disrespectful to another culture, and to the Queen herself. And, what was so awful was it was clear Meghan delighted in her grand reenactment, and found herself funny and clever. It wasn’t cute. It was juvenile and embarrassing. All I could think was thank goodness it’s about British culture - doing an over-the-top Japanese bow or Māori greeting, for example, would be far less tolerated by viewers.

Chris said he found it strange that it was left in the documentary, especially since Harry’s annoyed reaction is so evident, and the camera actually focuses on it at the end of scene.

It makes me think of The NY Times Sunday article which featured Meghan but also subtlety threw digs at her, and how perfect she found herself.

This was an example on film, which to me, packs a greater punch.

It’s only one moment out of six hours, I know, but to me, it’s what has always sat wrong with me about Meghan since their complaining began in earnest post marriage.

I’m betting they left it in BECAUSE of his reaction. It showed a moment where they weren’t in sync. She thought her curtsey reenactment was great. He was annoyed.

It must have been pretty bad. And it does sound disrespectful to their culture and TQ.

It does drive home in ways maybe no words ever could why Meghan quickly became a disaster.

ETA- I haven’t watched these episodes. But I just accidentally saw a clip of Meghan reenacting the curtsey. I was not prepared for how bad it was. Even after reading your account. And the look on her face while doing it! Wow. I can’t even….No words. Appalling.

Last edited:
I think Harry said the “men” in his family have done this. Plural. I may be wrong- but he seemed to say it was basically standard practice.

He did say men, but I'm not sure who he means.

Prince Andrew married the woman he loved. So did Prince Edward - he and Sophie are still going strong. William and Kate have a rock of a marriage. Does he think Prince Philip viewed the Queen as the choice he had to make? And it's common knowledge that King George VI was smitten with Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon. Hell, even the Duke of Windsor doesn't count - he gave up being King to stay with the woman he loved.

Charles and Diana are the only example that could possibly qualify as 'head' versus 'heart'.

I’ll agree that Americans are less reserved.

But- as an American- plenty of people don’t hug people they don’t know. I don’t. In my experience- there is usually an established relationship before hugging.

Absolutely!
Where is that idea- that Americans are touchy feely with total strangers- coming from?

I don't know any Americans who would behave this way. I certainly wouldn't.

One of the things I find so hypocritical of Harry and Meghan (among many things) is that if they think the Commonwealth is so bad, why did he ever accept the position as Commonwealth Youth Ambassador. Why did she become patron of the Association of Commonwealth Universities. The truth is that they would have been delighted with these positions if they could have gotten their way with half in, half out.

The critics have had a field day with this. One subject all the uk papers agree on how sickening it it. The us critics also pan it, not as vehemently but one ended with something like, “they broke free only to serve the Netflix masters”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom