Napoleon -Ridley Scott Movie

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
Napoleon -Ridley Scott Movie

Currently being filmed and directed and produced by Ridley Scott and starring Joaquin Phoenix as Napoleon.
The movie was originally given the working title of working title Marengo but later changed.

Lincoln Cathedral was used as a set for Notre-Dame de Paris.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13287846/

I am looking forward to the movie, though it will be hard to top the 2002 mini series of Napoleon with Christian Clavier in the title role. Isabella Rosselini was a great pick to play Joséphine and so many other legendary actors: Anouk Aimée yet another great casting as Madame Mère, John Malkovitch, Gerard Depardieu, Sebastian Koch... and all based on the book of Max Gallo!

Although Lincoln cathedral is marvelous I wonder why they didn't chose another cathedral in France. Let's hope that Ridley-Scott managed to not make this movie a parody, as was the case with his House of Gucci.

Last edited:
Both of Ridley Scott's most recent epic big screen historical movies The Last Duel 2020 and Robin Hood 2010 were overly long and went way off tangent but were beautifully shot.

Robin Hood had several onscreen historical Figures
Eleanor of Aquitaine
King Richard the Lionheart
Prince John
Isabella of Angoulême
Philippe II of France
Sir William Marshal

The Last Duel (2020) also had several onscreen historical Figures
King Charles VI
Queen Isabeau
Pierre II d'Alençon

The less said about Exodus: Gods and Kings the 2014 biblical epic film the better!

Last edited:
Vanessa Kirby will star at the Empress Joséphine.
Edouard Philipponnat will star as Tsar Alexander
Tahar Rahim will star as the Vicomte de Barras
Paul Rhys will star as Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord 1st Prince of Benevento

Filming moved to Fort Ricasoli in Kalkara, Malta,which was used as a set for the 1793's siege of Toulon.

Joaquin Phoenix ... that seems to be good casting. Looking forward to this!

Apparently this movie will be released via released on Apple TV+

Looking forward to it and hoping is not going to end up with a recycled Hollywood storyline:
1. Modern social issues and situations transported to the 19th century to misguide viewers.
2. The perennial inspirational life lesson to be learned so the 21st century viewers can't distinguish this from a Hallmark movie or the week.

Last week I was watching 3 hrs of Dr Zhivago, that is from the 1960's and they tried to adapt it with all the sadness and desperation of the original book. If done by today's Hollywood standards everything would be altered down to the last lines, about what happens to Lara, so audience doesn't get traumatized.

I hope Napoleon, by Ridley Scott, shows not just the good but the bad like Goya's Disasters of War on what happened to the people in Spain during the invasion.

Last edited:
I know that's a first trailer, but am I the only one who finds it very uninspiring and dull? First trailers are supposed to pique interest, and this... doesn't.

I would have shown his face, and/or had him say something, especially for one of the greatest control freaks of all time! And probably picked better music.

I know that's a first trailer, but am I the only one who finds it very uninspiring and dull? First trailers are supposed to pique interest, and this... doesn't.

I would have shown his face, and/or had him say something, especially for one of the greatest control freaks of all time! And probably picked better music.

........wait a minute. "Of course this isn't a real trailer — Ridley's still shooting the film"??

There was a test-screening of this movie back in November in LA and was reported to be 150 minutes long and was met with mixed reactions...
There are also reports that it could premier at the Cannes Film Festival this summer!

I don't think this is a real trailer either.
There was footage of another film (the scene set in Winter-Russia) in there.

I still don't know whether this going to be any good at all, but here's the real trailer:

Its set for release on Wednesday November 22 2023 :previous:

Back
Top Bottom